I Am Bad At Excel/Google Sheets--Help?

For large social games such as Survivor where the primary mechanic is social interaction.
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

I Am Bad At Excel/Google Sheets--Help?

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:20 pm

Post by PrivateI »

So one of my favourite smaller game concepts is Allocate/Execute. I've run a few iterations of it, but it's logistically complex to deal with. If you haven't played before, it's a simple idea--at the beginning of the game, each player is given a lot of votes (usually three times the number of players in the game). In a given round, they can vote for anyone they wish--they can even vote for multiple people, using as many votes as they'd like. The person with the most votes is eliminated.

Now, my problem is that I am bad at Google Sheets and don't know how possible it is to make it easier to run this. Right now, I basically set up a separate voting sheet for each player, and as they vote, tab over to that sheet, put their votes in, and those votes flow through to my main sheet which tallies the votes. This is cumbersome, at best, to set up, since I'm basically setting up a new formula involving x sheets (where x is the number of players) per column, then copying those values down the column. This is an example of the sheet if you want to see what I mean.

Do you have any ideas that might make it easier? One thing I've thought about is just setting up one main sheet which would record everyone's votes in a particular round, and have those results flow through to an individual's sheet (basically the reverse of what I do now). I would then have to create one main sheet per round, effectively, leading to, say, 34 sheets or so in a 17 player game. The biggest advantage this would have is letting me quickly look at everyone's votes in one place to see if they pass the "smell test" of logic before I post them, which, currently, I have to click through to every player's sheet to see that.

I'd appreciate any help/ideas y'all might have.
VashtaNeurotic
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
Bullet Trainer
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:51 pm

Post by VashtaNeurotic »

Have you tried just making a sheet for each round. Something like this: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

This way between rounds you need only copy over the last sheet, paste the remaining votes values in the top of the new page and remove whoever was eliminated (which technically you can just collapse their row and column and set their remaining votes to 0 but that'd become a lot after a while). You need only copy over the last column for the main sheet as well. Feel free to DM me for any other questions you have.
George Bailey
VashtaNeurotic
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
Bullet Trainer

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:51 pm

Post by VashtaNeurotic »

Oh by sheet I mean tab to be clear, not a whole google document.
George Bailey
VashtaNeurotic
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
Bullet Trainer

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:15 pm

Post by VashtaNeurotic »

And added a Voting Histories Tab, since people mostly vote for 1 or 2 people a round you really only need 1 sheet for it since at worst you might need to have 3 rows to explain all the people a person voted for, and most rounds will just need 1 row. And it really only needs to be gone over round by round. Which would mean your final sheet count would be the number of rounds + 2, but should be a lot more manageable to handle round by round.
George Bailey
D3f3nd3r
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
Best Social Game
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:38 am

Post by D3f3nd3r »

In post 1, VashtaNeurotic wrote:Have you tried just making a sheet for each round. Something like this: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

This way between rounds you need only copy over the last sheet, paste the remaining votes values in the top of the new page and remove whoever was eliminated (which technically you can just collapse their row and column and set their remaining votes to 0 but that'd become a lot after a while). You need only copy over the last column for the main sheet as well. Feel free to DM me for any other questions you have.
This is what I’ve done when I modded this game, toss me an email address over PM/Disc and I can share it with you
“The assumption of good faith is dead”

(profile pic by datisi)

Return to “ORGs and Large Social Games”