pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Worldwide Flight Race - Game Over

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:03 pm

Post by pablito »

Rather than following the traditional amazing race format, I've decided to base the game more on a deterministic points format (which refreshes each leg) combined with a stronger focus on researching which flight to take. Rather than variation of play relying on roadblocks/detours/navigation, variation in arrival times will be decided on knowing when it is most advantageous to work faster in the leg of the race or knowing if it is essential to take the quickest flight.

Before the game even begins, players will determine a huge part of their fate in the game by determining how they will prioritize the three major air alliances for flight purchasing. This is because time and effort will be spent if you decide to go with a different air alliance than your number one choice. Players who have flight research efficiency and can predict "bunching" or hours of operation will quickly find themselves at the head of the pack. Note: Players are individuals and have no interaction with other players. Alliances will do nothing in this game.

Player List (2)

ShadowLurker
chavo

Eliminated (8)

danakillsu - DQ pre-race
saberwolf - DQ leg 1
Drench - DQ leg 1
diginova - DQ leg 2
animorpherv1 - eliminated leg 3
farside22 - eliminated leg 4
Haylen - DQ leg 5
Rhinox - eliminated leg 7
PHANTOM - DQ leg 8
pickemgenius - DNF
Last edited by pablito on Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:48 am, edited 32 times in total.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (isolation #1) » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:06 pm

Post by pablito »

Basic leg format:

Start Point - Given 100 points
->Task/Transportation (Use Points here)
International Flight to intermediate city
->Task/Transportation (Use more points)
International Flight to final city
->Task/Transportation (Use more points)
->Final Task/Transport (All leftover points used)
Finish Line

During Tasks or Transportation sections, some or all of your points can be used. Sometimes the amount of points that you use will be multiplied by a percentage of a time period and that's how much time you spend there. Sometimes if you use points within a certain range (ie: 21-28), you'll get a cab that gets you there in 15 minutes. Sometimes operation hours or travel times will occur. These Tasks/Transportation sections replace roadblocks/detours/etc.

There are always two flights that occur within a travel leg. Aside from rare exceptions, all air alliances fly between the two cities. However, flights on one air alliance will get you to the destination earlier than other alliances. Before the game begins, you will rank order the three air alliances. Whenever you purchase a flight, you will waste 0 minutes and 0 points if you want to fly on your #1 air alliance. If you choose to go with your #2 alliance, you waste 30 minutes and 15 points at the airport counter. If you choose to go with your #3 alliance, you waste 60 minutes and 30 points at the airport counter. If you choose to go with an airline that does not belong to any air alliance you waste 45 minutes and 25 points. Therefore you must decide whether it is advantageous to switch to a different flight or if you should save your points for a task/transportation section. In many instances, you will get to the finish line quicker if you do not take the quickest flight.

For each leg of the race, one (or more) player(s) will be eliminated. The last player(s) to the pit stop will be eliminated. This will continue until the final leg where the final players will race to be the first ones to the finish line. Each leg, players will get back all 100 points at the starting line. Players must find flight information and times on their own. Players should verify their information before sending it in to ensure accuracy. Flights chosen do not have to reflect actual flight availability and flight prices do not matter. If a flight uses multiple airline alliances, the lowest priority airline alliance will be used. No random factors will occur in this game, it is all based on your strategy.

Gameplay:

At the beginning of the leg you will be told what the first task/transportation will be plus you will be told what is the maximum amount of time (if you spend 0 points) that could be spent on the task/transportation. Also, if you use 100 points on a single task, it does not necessarily mean that you will waste 0 minutes at the task/transportation. Once you receive this information via PM, please reply back to say how many of your 100 points you want to use for task/transportation A. While timeliness does not affect your current date/time in the race, failure to submit a reply in a timely manner (within 48 hrs) may result in time/point penalties.

You will get a reply saying how much time you spent at task/transportation A and what the current time/date is. Assume you are at the airport counter at this point and that you can board the flight immediately (ie: you arrive at airport at 14:10 and the flight leaves at 14:11 - you can take that one if it's your #1 airline alliance). You will then be told what the next city will be. You will then have to research flights to the next city on your own accord using whatever information you have available. I will have the most updated information that is
independent
of flight availability. Once you find the flight you want, then please PM me the flight number/time that you want to fly on.

I will reply confirming if you made the flight and will tell you your arrival time. I will then tell you what task/transportation B is. Please reply saying how many points you want to use.

Once that's complete, you will be told the final city for this leg of the race. Look up flights and then reply with your flight of choice.

Once you arrive in the final city, you will be told task/transportation C. The points that you do not use on task/transportation C will be used for task/transportation D. However, you will not be told what task/transportation D is until after you finish section C. Therefore you have to guess if section D may take more time than section C.

You will be then told your arrival time via PM. Once all players have completed the leg, results will be posted in thread. Subsequently some players may finish the leg in 10 real time minutes and others may take days. Because there is no interaction between players in the race and unlimited flight ability, there is no need to wait for players before you complete your race leg.

Questions, please ask.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (isolation #2) » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:21 am

Post by pablito »

Rules on activity:

Replies to any PM must be received within 48 hrs. Failure to submit within 48 hrs will result in a 15 minute time penalty and loss of 5 effort points that takes place immediately. A player gets two warnings/penalties. On the third infraction, the player will be disqualified and will be dropped from the race. No penalties will be given if a player notifies me directly of any V/LA in advance.

If you don't think you can make the 48 hr deadlines, or notify me of any V/LA in advance (simple PM saying "I'm busy in the next three days, please give me extra time" will suffice), please reconsider signing up.

Game will begin once there's enough sign-ups.

Also please begin researching the three air alliances: OneWorld, Star Alliance, Sky Team. Once the game begins I'll be asking you to rank order 1-3 these air alliances. Airports in this game were chosen specifically to balance out the advantages any air alliance may have.
Last edited by pablito on Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (isolation #3) » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:53 am

Post by pablito »

WestJet was once in talks with OneWorld for some agreement, but they never formalised it. Furthermore, I don't think their frequently flyer program is ready for an alliance; that's the big reason these alliances exist. Quite a few big airlines are still not linked to an air alliance for the flexibility and such. They're still allowed in this game, but at a risk. I want the game to not be about finding the absolute best flight, but determining whether it's necessary to take the absolute best flight.
diginova wrote:Do we have a limited amount of money for the flights or any flight is acceptable?
Do the flights have to be open at the current time or just off the timetable?
Money is not an issue in this game. Any flight that is open to the public (no charters) is a commercial flight and has a flight number will be accepted - as long as you can show me how you found it (if I can't find it myself). The only thing you have to worry about is the 100 points each leg.

Flights only need to be off the most updated timetable. Flights with no available seats are still okay. As long as they are regularly scheduled to fly on that specific date and time, it's good.

Before the game begins, I think I'll post a sample leg just to show how things go. I've learned that the way I explain things doesn't always hit, so I like to show examples.
Sup, later.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (isolation #4) » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:21 pm

Post by pablito »

Okay. Last chance to sign up in the next 48 hrs. If we're going with 10, then there will be non-elimination legs.

As for current players, please PM me your alliance priority list (1-3) in the next 48 hrs.

Air Alliances:
OneWorld www.oneworld.com
Star Alliance www.staralliance.com
Sky Team www.skyteam.com
Sup, later.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20 (isolation #5) » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:45 pm

Post by pablito »

Sample Leg

Joe, Olly and Stacey are racing starting in Seoul. Joe begins at 12:23 28th March 2010. Olly begins 13:11 same day and Stacey begins at 13:23. Contestants leave 12 hours after they arrive at the pitstop from the previous leg.

Joe's Priority List (Sky Team, Star Alliance, One World)
Olly's (Star Alliance, One World, Sky Team)
Stacey's (One World, Star Alliance, Sky Team)

"Clue 1:
Take a Cab from Olympic Park to Incheon International Airport. (Max 45 mins)"

Joe chooses to use 10 effort points (90 remain)
Olly chooses to use 23 effort points (77 remain)
Stacey chooses to use 14 effort points (86 remain)

"Clue 2:
Board a plane from Incheon to Tokyo's Narita Airport."

Joe receives message that he arrived at airport at 13:03, Olly receives message that he arrived at airport at 13:31, Stacey receives message that she arrived at airport at 13:53.

All contestants see the following flights:
oneworld - 13:50>16:15, 17:35>20:00
star alliance - 14:15>16:35
sky team - 18:45>20:55

Joe chooses to bump himself from sky team to star alliance. This wastes 30 mins and 15 effort. He is now at 13:33 and 75 effort points. He will land in Tokyo (Narita) at 16:35

Olly takes the star alliance flight for no cost. He has 77 effort points remaining. He will land at 16:35 with Joe.

Stacey barely misses the first oneworld flight but has chosen to take the hit and stick with oneworld even though she could take the next star alliance. She has 86 effort points remaining and arrives at 20:00

"Clue 3:
Take a train (leaves every 15 minutes) to Tokyo Station and walk to the Imperial Palace where you will you have to learn a traditional dance. Once the judge determines that you have completed the dance, you will go back to Narita Airport. (Max 2:30)"

Joe decides to use 26 effort points. (49 remain)
Olly decides to use 12 effort points. (65 remain)
Stacey decides to use 16 effort points. (70 remain)

"Clue 4:
Board a plane to Manila's Ninoy Aquino International Airport"

Joe was told that he arrived at Narita at 18:19.
Olly was told that he arrived at Narita at 18:43.
Stacey was told that she arrived at Narita at 21:58.

They all see the following flights:

oneworld - 18:20>21:55, 18:30>9:55(+1); 9:30(+1)>13:05(+1)
staralliance - 20:30>11:50(+1)
skyteam - 13:55(+1)>23:00(+1)

Joe cannot take any oneworld flight as the switch would cost him an hour to bump down to the bottom of his list. He does go for the star alliance flight though at a cost of 15 more effort points. 35 points remain. Arrival at 11:50 29th Mar

Olly takes the star alliance flight at no cost. 65 points remain. Arrival 11:50 29th Mar

Stacey misses the star alliance flight but books the morning (29th march) flight at no cost. 70 points remain. Arrival 13:05 29th Mar

"Clue 5:
Drive yourself to SM City North EDSA - largest mall in the Philippines. Once you get there you will have to search the hundreds of stores for the one that sells a gold studded glove. (Max 4:00)"

Joe uses 16 points (19 points remain). Joe finishes task at 15:02 and will be told this in next reply.
Olly uses 35 points (30 points remain). Olly finishes at 14:05 and will be told in next reply.
Stacey uses 45 points (25 points remain). Stacey finishes at 14:50 and will be told in next reply.

"Clue 6:
Take a cab to Fort Santiago. The Pitstop for this leg of the race. The last team to arrive may be eliminated. (Max 2:00)"
(arrival time at pitstop is automatically calculated and posted with the last clue)

Joe automatically uses the 19 remaining points. Joe finishes at 16:24
Olly automatically uses the 30 remaining points. Olly finishes at 15:01
Stacey automatically uses the 25 remaining points. Stacey finishes at 16:09

The big difference in the leg seemed to be when Joe decided to bump to star alliance seoul->narita. It didn't give him the advantage and in the end, he had fewer effort points than Stacey who was lagging the entire time.

Hope this clears things up. Questions? Please ask.
Last edited by pablito on Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sup, later.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #25 (isolation #6) » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:35 pm

Post by pablito »

ShadowLurker wrote:How did Stacey miss the first flight?
good catch. I was fiddling with times to give Stacey the option to take the star alliance flight, but when I changed the times it shows that she could've taken the first oneworld. So I went back to the original times. Now she can only take the second oneworld flight. It's now updated to show that Stacey has no choice to take the star alliance flight, but she still ends up still beating Joe in the end. My fault for trying to switch times around last second before posting.
diginova wrote:what's with the (+1) in parentheses?
This indicates an extra day. Some flights are not available until the next day or mean that the flight will arrive the following day. That's more of my own thing than what flight searches may show.
pablito wrote:oneworld - 18:20>21:55, 18:30>9:55(+1); 9:30(+1)>13:05(+1)
staralliance - 20:30>11:50(+1)
skyteam - 13:55(+1)>23:00(+1)
This means on the 28th of March the following flights are available:
oneworld - leaves 18:20 on 28th and arrives 21:55 on 28th.
oneworld - leaves 18:30 on 28th and arrives 9:55 on 29th in morning.
oneworld - leaves 9:30 on 29th and arrives 13:05 on 29th in morning.
staralliance - leaves 20:30 on 28th and arrives 11:50 on 29th.
skyteam - leaves 13:55 on 29th and arrives 23:00 on 29th.

Flight searches will typically indicate dates and times for all flights anyway. I wouldn't really have any reason to use the (+1) in the game at all as you all must search for your own flights however you can. I will not give suggestions as to how you should search your flights.

Just want to emphasize that I hope this game relies on smart decision making and knowing how to predict the layout of the leg. Sometimes bunching happens, sometimes it does not.
Sup, later.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #28 (isolation #7) » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:37 pm

Post by pablito »

diginova wrote:Just a question:
I haven't checked physical flight timetables in a while; how often do they repeat? Is it weekly (to aid online searching, choosing flights weeks in advance)
Flight timetables can vary by season, by day of the week, etc. The hypothetical dates chosen shouldn't be so far in advance that an online search wouldn't be able to find them. The dates won't be more than 6 months in advance, so I think it's a safe threshold.
Sup, later.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #29 (isolation #8) » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:48 am

Post by pablito »

Provided I receive the last alliance priorities list by midnight eastern standard time tonight, I will send out the first clue at midnight and the race will begin.

Remember that unlike the amazing race - timeliness of replies does not account in final standings. So you do not have to be online when I send private messages, but I do expect you to reply to my message within 48 hrs or else a penalty will be given. Effort points and flights chosen will determine race standings.

Please remember that you must find ALL flights on your own. When sending me information on a flight, please include the flight number(s), departure time/date, airlines used, layover airport. If I cannot verify the same information, I will let you know that I cannot find that specific flight.

Flavour text writeups will be provided to update standings at the end of each leg.

If you have questions, please ask them.
Sup, later.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #30 (isolation #9) » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:32 am

Post by pablito »

Still waiting on someone to send in airline alliance priorities list. If I don't get it soon, I'll just go on without that player.

Weekends will count as a 24 hr period.
Sup, later.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #31 (isolation #10) » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:50 pm

Post by pablito »

First clues are being sent out now. danakillsu has picked up PMs but still hasn't sent in an airline alliance priority list. I'll give danakillsu just a little extra time to send in the list, but if it's not received soon, I'll assume it's a DQ. Looks doubtful now anyway. Even with 12 players, there will be non-elimination legs. Penalty for arriving last on a non-elimination leg will be 15 minute delay for starting the leg plus that player only starts with 85 effort points.

I want to caution against sharing arrival times or any information. While I can't force you guys to not share any arrival times with each other, I would caution putting importance in anything but the pitstop arrival time as bunching points and smart flight choices can easily make up differences along the course.

Flavour episodes will be released once everyone checks in at the pitstop.

Let the Worldwide Flight Race begin!
Sup, later.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #33 (isolation #11) » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:18 pm

Post by pablito »

Airline alliance switching rules:

Take your #1 alliance = no cost.
Take your #2 alliance = 30 minutes wasted at airport counter + 15 EPs
Take your #3 alliance = 60 minutes wasted at airport counter + 30 EPs
Take a non-alliance flight = 45 minutes wasted at airport +25 EPs

Keep the times in mind and add to your arrival time at airport.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #34 (isolation #12) » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:55 pm

Post by pablito »

Within each leg, please do not reveal future airports or locations to other players. Not everyone gets the same PMs at the same time, so some players may finish earlier than others.
Sup, later.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #36 (isolation #13) » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:09 pm

Post by pablito »

Yeah, you end up wasting the minutes prior to boarding the flight. This is the amount of time it would take having to go from airport counter A to airport counter B.

So if you want to take a different airline alliance, you have to get to the airport earlier to account for the time.
Sup, later.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #37 (isolation #14) » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:39 am

Post by pablito »

Some notes:

I'm using a 24 hr clock. So 06:30 means 6:30 am. 18:30 will mean 6:30 pm. Sorry if you have to do conversions, but my timetables are in 24 hrs, so it's easier for me.

If you are choosing to use a flight that is NOT in your #1 priority air alliance, in your PM please let me know which priority (2 or 3) alliance it is for you. This will let me know that you are acknowledging that you will be using 15 or 30 EP to switch.

Airline, Flight numbers and flight times are all you need to post. It seems to be that I can usually figure out the flight you chose by flight times alone, but flight numbers are essential as well.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #40 (isolation #15) » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:13 am

Post by pablito »

I'll re-send.
Sup, later.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #52 (isolation #16) » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:42 pm

Post by pablito »

Considering I won't be able to PM saberwolf, I will try to get a hold of him via AIM (I think he has my aim name) and finish up the race leg with him that way.

And I don't think I mind if you guys share arrival times at pitstop since it's not like you can improve your time once you finish. Just be careful on giving away flight arrival times - I actually don't mind - but it can inadvertently help people who haven't yet started the leg if they see your flight times.

The one thing I don't want you revealing is airport and city names.

Status: all but two players are either finished or on the last PM.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #56 (isolation #17) » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:57 am

Post by pablito »

Right now I'm having some computer issues. All files are saved online but i can't access everything using my iPod. I'm still waiting for one person not named saberwolf anyway
Sup, later.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #57 (isolation #18) » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:46 am

Post by pablito »

Anyway, I'm starting leg two tonight even if I don't get responses from the two delayed players. Their destinies will be revealed tonight once I send out the first PMs.
Sup, later.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #59 (isolation #19) » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:26 pm

Post by pablito »

12 racers started off at Kitty Hawk in North Carolina on the birthday of Wilbur Wright on a race around the world. However, in this worldwide flight race, players must learn how to navigate the skies quicker than the other players in order to get to the finish line first. Each leg of the race, the last player to arrive is at risk of being eliminated. In the end, only a handful of players will make it to the final leg where the first player across the finish line will take the title of grand champion.

On your marks,
get set,
RACE!

The players quickly opened their clues that told them to make their way to Norfolk International Airport (ORF). Some players opted to bribe their taxi drivers to ensure quick passage. Others decided to save their breath for later. However, danakillsu is the first casualty of this race as he twisted his ankle running off to the taxi and fell into the street, only to be run over by chavo's taxi, who quickly made off toward the airport. 11 players remain!

Over at the airport, chavo was the first to arrive and told to fly to Miami International Airport (MIA), but he was quickly joined by all the other racers within a half hour. Unfortunately for chavo, he was not able to take a flight out of the airport to salvage his lead. Three players left on the first flight out of Norfolk to Miami. All the others managed to find flights that left the airport within two hours of the leaders. All except for saberwolf, who is still trying to figure out how to make it out of the airport. Unfortunately, he currently lives there now and is trapped as a political refugee.

Over in heat of Miami, players were instructed to go to Sergio's Family Restaurant where they had to make 10 litres of chimichurri sauce. Most players were able to find the restaurant quickly and were able to crank out the 10 litres within due time. Keeping up the rear was animorpherv1, but he was able to cut his two hour deficit in half at the task. When they managed to make it back to Miami airport, the players were instructed to fly to tropical Rio de Janeiro.

Most players were able to catch a spot on one of four flights to Rio de Janeiro. Three players managed to find the earliest flight over that arrived at 7:30 am. The others found flights that would get them within two hours of the leaders. Unfortunately, Rhinox found himself alone on the last flight to arrive at 9:10 am.

Over at Rio Airport, players quickly made it out of the airport to hail a cab to Corcovado to make it up to the statue of Cristo el Redentor. Most players had been waiting all day yesterday to finally make the final surge and were able to learn a few words in the local language to get the taxi drivers to go quicker. Rhinox used his time wisely on his flight, as he managed to catch up to the others and even pass up animorpherv1.

Once at the top of Corcovado, the players had to find their way back down the mountain to and find a marked car, which they then had to drive to the lovely resort town of Buzios. Most players were desperate to make it to the pitstop first, as they failed to obey simple rules of the road and speed limits. As this is a race, anything goes and most players managed to get to Buzios in record time. However, very smart flight finding and smart resource management allowed one of the players to arrive at the pitstop in a very clear lead.

Pitstop times

17 Apr 2010
1. 09:25 ShadowLurker
2. 09:55 pickemgenius
3. 10:31 diginova
4. 10:35 farside22
5. 10:50 chavo
5. 10:50 Haylen
7. 11:29 Rhinox
8. 11:33 PHANTOM
9. 12:08 animorpherv1
10. DQ Drench
11. DQ saberwolf
12. DQ danakillsu

This means that
danakillsu, saberwolf and Drench have been DQed along the first leg of the race and were removed. However, this is one of a few predetermined non-elimination legs of the race. Due to the amount of DQs, no player still alive will bear the non-elimination penalty.

Leg 2 of the race will begin right now. Good luck racers.
Last edited by pablito on Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #60 (isolation #20) » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:43 pm

Post by pablito »

I'm considering that the 23-25 equals one day for those who may be travelling or preparing for holiday parties (for those that celebrate) - except for Drench and saberwolf, who need to complete leg 1 by midday wednesday or they will be DQed.

I'm thinking that leg 3 won't begin until the new year or until I get my new computer at least.
Sup, later.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #64 (isolation #21) » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:01 am

Post by pablito »

Drench and saberwolf have failed to complete leg 1 and are both DQed. That means that only 9 racers started leg #2.

This means that if leg #2 is an elimination leg, the last of those 9 racers would be eliminated.
Sup, later.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #68 (isolation #22) » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:43 pm

Post by pablito »

This week everyone seems to be having availability issues. I'll just wait until everyone can finish at their own pace, especially since you guys were able to post in here and notify in advance. I'm guessing this leg of the race won't finish until the new year then.

On the plus side, my computer issues are done and over with.

I hope everything goes better for you Rhinox and animorpherv1.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #71 (isolation #23) » Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:26 pm

Post by pablito »

ShadowLurker wrote:Will there be yields?
No. There will be no yields, no fast forwards, no intersections, no u-turns.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #72 (isolation #24) » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:47 pm

Post by pablito »

I'm now crunching down on deadlines and penalties. If you need extra time, just let me know. But failure to respond will no longer be tolerated since the holidays and limited accesses are done with. I just re-sent a PM to everyone still working on this leg.
Sup, later.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #74 (isolation #25) » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:04 pm

Post by pablito »

Just two more left to go.
Sup, later.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #76 (isolation #26) » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:41 pm

Post by pablito »

sure. no worries.
Sup, later.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #77 (isolation #27) » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:52 am

Post by pablito »

The 9 remaining players set off from Buzios, Brazil, the last pitstop, on a race around the world! After a mandatory 12 hr rest period, teams were allowed to continue on the race. Beginning first at 21:25, ShadowLurker jumped into his marked car and made his way to Ilha Grande via Angra dos Reis. Within three hours all teams were driving on their way to Angra dos Reis.

At Angra dos Reis, players had to find the Viagens Superturbos office, which opened at 1:30 am, to ride in their provided superfast boat to Ilha Grande. Most teams found themselves waiting outside the office together and were able to share stories about their first leg going through Miami. Only PHANTOM and animorpherv1 were still in transit, but PHANTOM arrived just minutes after the office opening.

Player went quickly to find the hidden monkey statue. Most teams thought that this task would take long, so they worked feverishly through the early morning to find the statue before dawn rose. The first lucky person to leave was Rhinox, who managed to create a huge lead between himself and the other players. farside22, pickemgenius and chavo followed after about a half hour and then after an hour more of searching most of the other players finally found the statue.

At the airport, teams were all researching various flights and most players had different strategies. All players arrived at the airport in the morning before 7 am, but most convenient flights left later that night. A few resourceful players decided that Rio de Janeiro - Galeao was not there friend and flew off to other cities within Brasil to find a quicker flight.

chavo, ShadowLurker and Rhinox all found themselves in Atlanta before some players had even left Rio, and they all finished the task in due time. However, they all arrived at the airport so late in the night that no further departures would go to New York until the morning. This allowed the other players to catch up some time.

In Atlanta, the Coca-Cola Museum was open all night and at 6 am, the next wave of players rushed in a race to not be last. Meanwhile at the airport, chavo Rhinox and ShadowLurker took two different flights to NYC in hopes of getting to the finish line first. At Times Square first was chavo and ShadowLurker who were neck and neck the entire time until they both left the Brooklyn Heights subway station that morning. It was down to a cab race and ShadowLurker arrived first at the pitstop with chavo following minutes afterward. For winning this leg of the race, ShadowLurker has recieved a lifetime supply of Coke Zero, courtesy of Coca-Cola.

pickemgenius and Haylen were able to find quick flights to NYC and managed to pass up Rhinox in the process. They both made quick progress through Times Square and in fact arrived at the same time in Coney Island. Rhinox followed shortly thereafter. Within short time PHANTOM also clocked in at Coney Island.

Both animorpherv1 and farside22 were having issues finding good flights to NYC. They both took different flights with one arriving in the airport a good 8 hrs before the other. It was
animorpherv1 who didn't arrive
in NYC until about just before midnight and clocked in at the pitstop as the hands of the clock met at 12. However
diginova had overslept in Rio and never left the city and decided to marry a buxom brasilian bikini model and stayed there forever. diginova has been ELIMINATED and all other players remain. Furthermore, his model wife would manage to kill him in his sleep after three years of marriage because she found another rich man and she wanted the money in the will.

Pitstop Times:

19 Apr 2010
10:40 ShadowLurker (=)
10:50 chavo (^)
12:00 pickemgenius (v)
12:00 Haylen (^)
12:20 Rhinox (^)
12:50 PHANTOM (^)
16:10 farside22 (v)
24:00 animorpherv1 (^)
DNF diginova

Next leg will begin sometime before Monday.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #82 (isolation #28) » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:09 am

Post by pablito »

hours of operation were actually counted.

two hours would be added to your start time, and if that got you there before 1:30, then I'd add the "standard boat to ilha", "variable search time", "standard return boat from ilha" plus "standard return to rio time" to 1:30 am. Otherwise all of it was added together in the case you did not arrive before 1:30 am of the office.
Sup, later.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #83 (isolation #29) » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:40 am

Post by pablito »

Third leg has begun.
Sup, later.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #89 (isolation #30) » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:50 am

Post by pablito »

Thanks for correcting, but luckily everyone has already received the PM that we're going to that airport, so no harm done.
Sup, later.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #91 (isolation #31) » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:56 am

Post by pablito »

Bout halfway done with the leg. Half still have to get to their flights. Should go a lot quicker than last time.
Sup, later.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #94 (isolation #32) » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:01 pm

Post by pablito »

Haylen has incurred a second penalty.
Sup, later.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #100 (isolation #33) » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:12 pm

Post by pablito »

The 8 remaining players left Coney Island 12 hrs after a mandatory rest period. First to leave were ShadowLurker and chavo who left before midnight. They started off in their marked cars toward Atlantic City's Borgata casino. Once at the casino, they must search the large casino floor playing various table games for one of the specially marked cards with the Worldwide Flight Race logo. chavo chose to start at the back in the Pow Gai Poker section and was lucky enough to spot one of the cards quickly and set off back to New York. ShadowLurker took a bit more time and decided to carefully peruse the deck rather than jumping table to table.

In the meanwhile, Rhinox, pickemgenius, Haylen and PHANTOM had arrived at the Borgata and were starting to look around the tables as wel. ShadowLurker finally found a card in the Baccarat tables and headed back to JFK airport. Soon after, Haylen and pickemgenius found their lucky cards followed later by PHANTOM and Rhinox. farside22 arrived a little behind the others but put in a lot of effort and quickly made her way back to NYC to try to get there before the sun rose.

Over at the airport, a few of the players were working the airport counters real hard to get the first flight out of the city in the morning. pickemgenius, ShadowLurker and chavo managed to board the same flight to London Heathrow after a very exhausting morning going from counter to counter. Rhinox managed to secure an early flight as well. farside22 made it to the airport just as some flights were heading out and quickly boarded the first flight she could take out of NYC with lots of connections and layovers to London Gatwick.

animorpherv1 finally started up his section of the race and made his way to Atlantic City and back in due time and caught up with the other players still at the airport. Everyone else decided to take one of the evening overnight flights that would arrive in the morning. animorpherv1 had a quick sigh of relief that he caught up with the other players and was no longer 12 hrs behind.

Back at London, the players were heading onward to Wembley Stadium to play a little football game against a local goalkeeper. Everyone was a bit disappointed to see that the stadium was not open when they arrived and they had to wait until midnight until they could start up again. They all left the Stadium at the same time and headed back to London Heathrow to find their way to Madrid-Barajas. All four boarded the same flight to Madrid and left London before any of the other players even arrived in London.

The other four players made it within due time to Wembley Stadium, all except farside22 who had a much harder time coming from London Gatwick airport. However, farside22 quickly got her goals in a row from all the college soccer she played. Luckily she managed to get to the airport just a minute after Haylen so she wouldn't be so alone in last place. However, these players did not have as much luck with their flights and each took a different flight to Madrid.

Back at Madrid, the front-runners quickly got to Toledo and all got on buses within half hour of each other. But it wasn't until they got to the Faro de Moncloa when exhaustion really separated them from each other. Rhinox was well-rested and got to the top first in record time. A few hrs later ShadowLurker, pickemgenius and chavo finally arrived.

The final four players landed and PHANTOM landed first and quickly got to the pitstop. farside22 and Haylen were fighting for next position because their planes landed within an hour of each other. And both were a bit tired from all the maneuvering from earlier. It was foolish of them to count out animorpherv1 though who made up a huge time deficit from earlier. But in the end it was...

farside22 that managed to arrive at the pitstop first. Then Haylen managed to arrive shortly thereafter. farside thanked the soccer gods and ripped off her soccer jersey a la Brandi Chastain. animorpherv1 thought he was going along nicely, but he didn't realise that he boarded a flight from London Heathrow to New York City and then back to Madrid. He actually didn't arrive until the following morning. He didn't check into the pitstop until after everyone had left for the next leg of the race. Unfortunately, this is an elimination leg and animorpherv1 is eliminated after making up so much time earlier.

Pit Stop Times

12:50 Rhinox
14:58 ShadowLurker
15:12 pickemgenius
15:55 chavo
17:40 PHANTOM
19:04 farside22
20:17 Haylen
11:17 (+1) animorpherv1
Sup, later.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #105 (isolation #34) » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:03 pm

Post by pablito »

Leg #4 begins. Sat + Sun will count as a 24 hr period in total.
Sup, later.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #112 (isolation #35) » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:42 pm

Post by pablito »

One person remaining.
Sup, later.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #114 (isolation #36) » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:54 am

Post by pablito »

This was an intense leg as each minute from the beginning counted toward the final standings - no real bunching points.

Results to be posted soon and next leg may begin later tonight (or tomorrow)
Sup, later.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #115 (isolation #37) » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:10 pm

Post by pablito »

The 7 remaining players set off from El Faro de Moncloa in Madrid, Spain after a mandatory 12 hr rest period. First to leave is Rhinox at 0:20. When he arrived at Parque del Buen Retiro he got into his assigned boat and pushed off from the ledge to try to get his boat in the assigned target area. Since Rhinox was all alone for the first part in the morning, he tried to meticulously arrive in the exact spot but kept pushing too slowly so he never arrived at the spot, so he kept having to try again. Eventually shortly after ShadowLurker and pickemgenius, Rhinox landed in the target area and finally got to leave. ShadowLurker and pickemgenius decided to take the same strategy and not push too hard so that they don´t pull a muscle. Eventually everyone except Haylen and farside22 arrived at the lagoon.

ShadowLurker, pickemgenius, chavo and PHANTOM made it out in due time and managed to leave for the airport before the two made it out there. As such, they were all able to catch one of the early morning flights to Paris and everyone was on one of two flights, both which arrived around the same time.

Meanwhile at the lagoon, farside22 overexerted herself at the lagoon and kept over shooting her boat and it took her a long time to figure out the task. Haylen, however, got through the task in one of her first tries. farside22 kept trying harder and harder but knowing she was in last was tough for her and she kept trying too hard. Eventually she made it out and headed off to the airport. Lucky for her, however, Haylen was still at the airport as well! Both boarded the same flight to Paris, which was still a few hours behind the others.

In Paris, all the players were assembling their bikes to complete the Champs des Elysees portion of the Tour de France trail, except landing at la grand arch de la defense. Contending with cars on the road was difficult for most players, but many players decided to work harder during this part of the leg and the early players all ended within an hour of each other anyway and met up at the airport once again. A few hours behind though were farside22 and Haylen who kept passing each other up along the road but it was farside22 who finished the race first and got to the airport in time to catch her flight.

Unfortunately for farside22, Haylen caught up on the same flight once again. In Berlin, ShadowLurker landed first, but was a bit exhausted from working the airport counters earlier on. This allowed chavo, pickemgenius and Rhinox to catch up some time, but ShadowLurker finished up at the zoo first and was on his way to Checkpoint Charlie first. PHANTOM fell behind the leading pack, as he was conserving energy for the final cab ride to Checkpoint Charlie. It was a close race to the finish line. The leading pack of five were very tight and were always within an hour of each other during this entire leg.

In the end
it seemed that pickemgenius had the most energy remaining even though he finished the Paris race last! pickemgenius passed everyone up by yelling at his cab to go faster and he landed at the pitstop first! He was shortly followed by ShadowLurker and chavo.
The other two from the leading pack fell behind by a few extra minutes. It seemed that the Paris race was the deciding factor in who had the most energy left for the final push.

Haylen and farside22's plane finally arrived just as some of the others were starting to check-in at the pitstop.
farside22 tried to give all her effort, but from the paris race and her overexertion in Madrid, she knew that the result was inevitable. The refreshed Haylen arrived at the pitstop with a clear lead. Lucky for farside22 was remembering that there has not been a non-elimination leg for a long time. When farside22 arrived at the pitstop she was told that Unfortunately....
she was eliminated from the race. farside22 has fallen too far behind. Six remain!

Pit Stop Times

19:47 pickemgenius
19:59 ShadowLurker
20:06 chavo
20:49 Rhinox
21:35 PHANTOM
23:20 Haylen
23:56 farside22
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #118 (isolation #38) » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:06 am

Post by pablito »

Sorry for delay, I'm in process of starting to move now. Leg 5 begins.
Sup, later.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #120 (isolation #39) » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:53 am

Post by pablito »

Honestly, I kinda like taking a break after the Berlin leg finishes up. I'm in the process of moving and I'd like the extra time. Next leg won't start until the 26th or later then.
Sup, later.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #122 (isolation #40) » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:28 pm

Post by pablito »

The 6 remaining players set off from Checkpoint Charlie in Berlin, Germany. First to leave was pickemgenius at 7:47 am, shortly followed by ShadowLurker and chavo. They all grabbed taxis from Checkpoint Charlie to either Tegel-International or Schoenfeld Berlin Airport. pickemgenius opted to head off to Schoenfeld, but both chavo and ShadowLurker fled off to Tegel. On the taxicab ride over, pickemgenius had a sharp pain in his stomach as he started thinking that he should've headed off to Tegel instead. And perhaps that feeling was right, as chavo and ShadowLurker arrived at an airport quicker, because of the shorter distance. Once pickemgenius arrived at Schoenfeld, he saw that there were no good flights for him so he headed off to Tegel in the end.

However, even though chavo and ShadowLurker arrived at the same time at Tegel, their airline priorities meant that they picked two very different flights, and pickemgenius picked his own as well once he arrived at Tegel. Back in Berlin, Rhinox and PHANTOM moved off toward Tegel and Schoenfeld respectively. Rhinox was lucky enough to catch up and get on the same flight as pickemgenius. However, PHANTOM's choice led to him just arriving at the exact minute to catch his flight to Rome before it closed out.

All the players were on their way to Rome, and ShadowLurker was the first to land and made his way to the Coliseum quickly. He made quick use of his saved energy and got to Fiumicino Airport to catch an early flight to Moscow. Rhinox, chavo and pickemgenius landed at the same time in Rome and Rhinox was working the hardest and got to the airport minutes after ShadowLurker had. However, Rhinox barely missed the flight ShadowLurker was on and instead had to wait for the next flight out to Moscow. This meant that both chavo and pickemgenius were allowed to catch up to Rhinox while the rest began to fall back even further.

In Moscow, ShadowLurker had clear reign as no one was within hours because of that one lucky flight. He counted the nesting dolls well and didn't have to spend much time at the task there. He then breezed through the coal shoveling and got to the pitstop first!

chavo and pickemgenius landed around the same time, but it was evident that pickemgenius would take second because chavo was exhausted from working the airport counters earlier in the leg. Meanwhile, PHANTOM and Rhinox both landed on the same flight an hour later and were surprised to have caught up to chavo and pickemgenius. This motivated chavo to work a bit faster and he left the task at the same time as PHANTOM. pickemgenius on the other hand got even more frustated and kept messing up. Turns out that pickemgenius worked too hard and his nerves were getting the best of him. But within 20 minutes the others caught up and got to Lenin's Funeral train at the same time.

But at the coal shovelling task, it was Rhinox who really was in the best physical shape and got through the task quickest and got to the pitstop second. pickemgenius recomposed himself and got their third. PHANTOM took fourth and chavo fifth. And Haylen didn't even leave Berlin, as she was caught up at Checkpoint Charlie trying to work the soldiers over for a marriage proposal. Haylen is eliminated.

Pit Stop Times

3:55 ShadowLurker
7:35 Rhinox
8:32 pickemgenius
8:38 PHANTOM
9:22 chavo
Sup, later.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #124 (isolation #41) » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:03 am

Post by pablito »

I finished everything up early so next leg begins tonight.
Sup, later.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #126 (isolation #42) » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:25 am

Post by pablito »

Results to be posted later tonight.

Next leg won't begin til after the weekend probably because I'll be busy.
Sup, later.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #127 (isolation #43) » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:55 pm

Post by pablito »

The final five contestants headed off from the Kremlin in Moscow, which was the fifth pitstop of the race. ShadowLurker had a heavy lead and made his way quickly off to Plekhanov Russian Academy of Economics to complete a task about learning the cyrillic alphabet. He made quick work of the task and managed to leave the task before most people had left. Rhinox happened to arrive at the academy before SL left, and Rhinox tried his damnedest to make sure that he could catch up with SL to ensure that the lead would not be too excessive.

When ShadowLurker got to the airport, he was dismayed to find out that his flight would not get him to Athens until next morning, even though he could leave right away. In the meanwhile all the other players finished the task in due time and were able to book early morning flights to arrive in Athens in the early morning. The race, as it has been so far, was decided in how much the players were willing to risk taking an earlier flight rather than waiting for an alliance flight.

pickemgenius took the biggest risk and arrived in Athens first. But at the same time, when he got to Athens and saw that the task was to head to Omonia Square, he realized that it was not worth it to rush because he had a few hour lead over the others. He managed to waste time but still got back to the airport before anyone else had landed.

All the others arrived within an hour of each other and the only one who really tried to find the mysterious hidden vendor was chavo. While it got him to the airport quicker, everyone else caught up to him at the airport. Once again, it was a race of who caught the best air flights. Everyone chose a different flight and no one was on the same flight. Each flight managed to arrive in Delhi, India at different times.

Will the flights make the difference? Or will there be a bunching points in India to equalize the times? Surprisingly, first to arrive was chavo who was shortly followed by ShadowLurker. Both made their way to the Secretariat Building on Raisina Hill where they had to make a model of the India Gate. Players had to be very careful in building the model, because if they tried to build it too quickly, it would fall apart and they may have to restart and waste valuable time. However, both chavo and ShadowLurker were able to get the model done on their first try and they went onward to the next task. PHANTOM came along next and also got the model on his first try as well. All the top three left before pickemgenius and Rhinox even got on the scene.

Over at Rashtrapati Bhavan, it was mostly a race between chavo and ShadowLurker. It was clear that ShadowLurker had more energy, but would chavo's lead maintain? It appeared so and chavo was the first to check in. Later, ShadowLurker, then PHANTOM checked in. However, back at Raisina hill, pickemgenius had arrived and was working on his model. However, he kept trying to built it too hastily and had to try again. Even though Rhinox was last to arrive in Delhi, it appeared that he managed to get to working on his model as pickemgenius was still working on his.

Who would arrive at Rashtrapati Bhavan first? It was actually Rhinox first who managed to finish his model on his first try as well. But pickemgenius was only shortly behind. The red elephant was elusive.
However, Rhinox found it first. pickemgenius found the red elephant last and was the last to the pitstop.

Pit Stop Times

8:06 chavo
8:56 ShadowLurker
10:05 PHANTOM
11:51 Rhinox
12:36 pickemgenius

However, this was a predetermined non-elimination leg. pickemgenius is still in the race! Rhinox has incurred two penalties in this leg. pickemgenius' penalty for arriving last on a non-elimination leg will be 15 minute delay for starting the leg plus he only starts with 85 effort points.
Sup, later.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #128 (isolation #44) » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:12 pm

Post by pablito »

After a rough week, I finally got back on working on the leg. Expect it up before weekend ends if not earlier.
Sup, later.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #129 (isolation #45) » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:38 pm

Post by pablito »

Leg seven has been sent out. Only five teams remain! We're getting close to the end, folks.
Sup, later.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #131 (isolation #46) » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:11 pm

Post by pablito »

Please PM me ASAP if you're still waiting for a response PM. I think my PMs have been messing up a few days ago.
Sup, later.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #132 (isolation #47) » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:39 pm

Post by pablito »

only one more to go
Sup, later.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #133 (isolation #48) » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:15 am

Post by pablito »

The final five teams set off from Rashtrapati Bhavan in Delhi, which was the sixth pitstop of the race. Leaving first was chavo who quickly set off for Akshardham, the largest Hindu temple in Delhi to find the guard with a white moustache. In the meanwhile, ShadowLurker began to head to Akshardham after his mandatory twelve hour rest. chavo actually was trying and was searching strategically around the temple and almost left the temple before ShadowLurker arrived. chavo then headed off to the airport where had the huge task of trying to find the shortest flight to Incheon International Airport (ICN) in Seoul.

PHANTOM then left the pitstop and just like with ShadowLurker and chavo before, ShadowLurker's effort lead him to almost leave before PHANTOM even arrived. PHANTOM took a different approach and he knew that there had to be a long flight leaving out of Delhi, so he didn't want to waste much energy and took a leisurely stroll around the temple. This allowed Rhinox to catch up at the temple. However, Rhinox too did not try hard at the temple knowing that it was already late at night. And finally pickemgenius arrived and he followed suit as the previous two had.

At the airport chavo and ShadowLurker must've been feeling good about their efforts earlier, because both were able to just make it on the same last flight of the night to Incheon and were guaranteed to arrive in Seoul next morning. However, when the other three arrived at the airport, they found out that no other flights would leave until mid morning. So they all boarded the same flight that would put them in three hours behind the leaders.

Over in Seoul, chavo and ShadowLurker were off to head to Insadong, where they had to try their chances at selling local exotic fruits. The tricky part of the challenge was figuring out how to price the fruit to maximize their profits and leave the challenge quicker than the rest. This would prove to be the most important part of this leg. chavo chose to price a little more aggressively than ShadowLurker and as a result he left the market much earlier and headed off to the airport before it would close for the night. ShadowLurker was struggling for the last hour trying to make it out before the others all arrived at the market, but he did just as he saw all the others arrive in taxi.

For the other three, PHANTOM took a huge risk and sold with high prices, while pickemgenius went for moderate and Rhinox sold the fruit for mere pennies. Would PHANTOM be lucky and get a lot of buyers or did he overprice his merchandise? It made all the difference because PHANTOM left first. pickemgenius an hour later and PHANTOM followed last.

At the airport ShadowLurker caught up to chavo and both took flights to Narita Airport in Tokyo that landed within a half hour of each other. In fact, when they did the task of trying to eat wasabi filled sushi rolls, both of them stared each other down afraid to see who would break down first, but it turns out they were equally matched! However, since ShadowLurker had had the earlier flight, he headed out a bit earlier. But what's this?

PHANTOM caught up with chavo at the restaurant because he had caught the final flight of the day from Seoul to Tokyo. However, chavo still had too much of a lead and had left the restaurant before PHANTOM did. ShadowLurker had no competition for the cab race and checked into the pit stop first. chavo easily took second and with no other flights coming in that night, PHANTOM took third.

Back in Seoul, each one took a different strategy. pickemgenius decided to take a roundabout way to get to Tokyo via a different city that left just as he left the airport. This left Rhinox all alone sleeping in the airport until his direct flight to Tokyo the next morning. The flights would make all the difference as one would check in before the other started eating sushi.
and in fourth place, despite having fewer EP overall in this leg was pickemgenius! His flight managed to arrive two hours earlier which leaves Rhinox in last. And I'm afraid that this is an elimination leg and Rhinox has been eliminated from the race.

Pit Stop Times

23:12 ShadowLurker
0:02 chavo
0:58 PHANTOM
13:17 pickemgenius
14:27 Rhinox
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #134 (isolation #49) » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:26 am

Post by pablito »

Next leg going on now
Sup, later.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #136 (isolation #50) » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:16 am

Post by pablito »

Waiting one player now.
Sup, later.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #137 (isolation #51) » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:46 am

Post by pablito »

Disappointing. So I'll try to have final leg up sometime. But last leg's done.
Sup, later.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #138 (isolation #52) » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:31 pm

Post by pablito »

The final four teams set off from Tokyo's Hotel Green Plaza Hamanako - the seventh pitstop of the race. The first three players were able to continue onward and make easy progress through the first task at the Imperial Palace folding paper cranes. pickemgenius followed behind and found out that for the most part planes heading to Seattle were next on the list and most flights would be leaving in afternoon, therefore ensuring that he'd be a day behind the leaders.

And this is what happened. pickemgenius could only try his best to follow the rest one day behind and hope for the best. In Seattle he tried his best but unfortunately tried too hard to grip fish and it made him take extra time at the Pike Fish Company task. Then he found out that he had to find his way to San Francisco afterward. Unlike the others who had been able to find flights leaving immediately, pickemgenius had to wait a few hours first. Then pickemgenius found himself at Lombard Street needing to carry books up the hill. Unfortunately the task in Seattle took its toll as he couldn't work as fast as the others had, therefore compounding his delays. And then pickemgenius found his way toward the pitstop at Fisherman's Wharf via trolleyline.

But what pickemgenius found out was that he was actually third to arrive! PHANTOM failed to complete the leg and was eliminated.

Pit Stop
16:30 ShadowLurker
18:19 chavo
21:43 (+1) pickemgenius
DNF PHANTOM
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #141 (isolation #53) » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:30 pm

Post by pablito »

Sorry, it'll be a delay for final leg. My birthday and mafiascum celebrations will probably take your time (and bandwith) anyway. So we'll do it afterward.
Sup, later.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #143 (isolation #54) » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:55 pm

Post by pablito »

Okay, finally done.

Sending out final leg.
Sup, later.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #144 (isolation #55) » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:01 pm

Post by pablito »

Okay chavo and ShadowLurker have finished the leg, but pickemgenius lags behind. I'll wait til peg finishes to announce.
Sup, later.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #145 (isolation #56) » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:30 am

Post by pablito »

Results announced tonight when I get home.
Sup, later.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #146 (isolation #57) » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:48 pm

Post by pablito »

Guess I got busy.

Let's start with the easy part, Dandrew kept marching away in Soviet Russia even though we were already in America. Did not finish.

ShadowLurker starts the leg at 4:30. Gets to airport at a slow pace. In the meanwhile chavo starts at 6:19 and rushes to the airport as soon as possible to catch a preferable flight and hopes that ShadowLurker is delayed for a flight, unfortunately ShadowLurker boards a flight with seconds to spare. chavo then waits a little for the next available flight in one of his alliances.

Over in LA, ShadowLurker lands first and heads to Janice Dickinson's. He decides to take it slowly but steadily knowing that he has to save his energy for the last spurt of energy at the finish line. Meanwhile chavo meets up at the modeling agency and took a different strategy. chavo seemed to be working more efficiently and faster and it showed. As such, the competitors left within a half hour of each other for the airport.

However at LAX, air alliances determined who would leave first yet again. ShadowLurker lands first in NYC but landed in Newark. Would chavo catch a break due to arriving in a more central airport? Unfortunately the break wasn't there. ShadowLurker managed to get to the Majestic quicker and then later on finished the final task at a quicker pace.

ShadowLurker is the winner of Worldwide Flight Race!!!!

chavo finishes a respectable second.

Pit Stop

22:19 ShadowLurker
2:11 chavo
DNF pickemgenius

The game is over - thanks to all for participating. Unfortunately lots of drop outs, but I think the result would've been similar no matter what.

Lots of different strategies but I'd say that those who are really good at finding flights made it to the end no doubt.
Sup, later.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #148 (isolation #58) » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:00 am

Post by pablito »

I'll use the final leg for an example of all the formulas involved.

As the race went along, it became more standardized. The first two were different than third onwards. Once the too much=fail came into play, there were always two percentages, one taxicab stepwise, one too much=fail.

Final leg:

A (cabs) 0+ 1:30 13+ 1:10 20+ 0:50 27+ 0:30
It's stepwise so whether you used 0 or 12 EP, you go for 1:30, 13-19=1:10 and so forth.

These numbers often changed but there was always a set max and min. And equal intervals in between.

B (midpoint) 0+ 4:00 23+ 1:20:00
3+ 3:35 24+ 1:45:00
6+ 3:10 25+ 2:00:00
10+ 2:45 27+ 2:20:00
13+ 2:20 29+ 2:40:00
16+ 1:55 32+ 3:00:00
19+ 1:30 35+ 3:20:00
21+ 1:05 38+ 3:40:00
22+ 1:00 39+ 4:00:00

The formula changed every time. Usually the midpoint was somewhere from 15-25. Always equal intervals leading up to the midpoint. Afterwards, I tried to do more logarithmic, but was more to my whim. I think this type of challenge screwed over the most people (farside, pickemgenius) and most people chose to do 0s instead knowing the max.

C - 1st percentage

=((39-T2)/39)*180+60

The set number was usually 36 or 39. 180 would be the range of mins I allowed. add in the constant so that I have a set max or min. Yes, I realized that meant that negative minutes could (and did happen), but the set number of 39 was usually so wasteful that it didn't matter. Negative minutes always ended up being the set minimum anyway.

D- 2nd percentage

=((46-W2)/46)*120+120

The final percentage was always 46 because most players hoarded points at the end. Same thing.

The wording in clues tried to tell you what was going on. More EP may lead to a faster taxi meant that there was no certainty (ie stepwise). More EP will lead to more efficient searching (ie percentage) meant each point counted. More EP may mean you have to do it over (ie midpoint) meant going over = fail.

I have the whole thing in a google doc pretty much. Tried to incorporate operation hours only when needed and when I remembered. For most part I tried to plan the legs out well enough where it wasn't needed. And the design of legs was almost always beneficial to do A=0, B=0, C=50, D=50. So that's why I changed things up in Korea and chose to have B be the big focal point. I knew flights were going to make or break everyone in the end (as it did for pickemgenius) and not getting to airport quick enough and spreading around points was gonna be a killer.

If someone wants to run a future version themselves, let me know and I can fork over more info. But I don't have time to stick around on MS anymore.
Sup, later.

Return to “Social Game Archive”