The WSoGMM Electorate Negotiation Game (Starting)

Hoppster
Hoppster
Mafia Scum
Hoppster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

The WSoGMM Electorate Negotiation Game (Starting)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:40 pm

Post by Hoppster »

The WSoGMM Electorate Negotiation Game
Created by Hoppster

tl;dr in next post.

AimYou've just set up a brand new political party in a brand new democracy. Hurrah! Broken promises all around! Of course, politics isn't just as easy as breaking your promises. It's all about timing when you do it. You'll be working to convince the public, other parties and indeed your own party, that you're working in their interests, when in reality, you have your own private agenda...

*four game years = 4 to 7 days

About the game

You and
a bunch of random people you play games with on teh interwebz
your fellow party members are competing for four years* in the WSoGMM Political Interwebz Office. However, following the deposition of dictator Mubarakobama, the (non-biased) God of Politics, Hoppster, has stepped in to ensure that the interwebz remain democratic.

Please note that this may be a relatively slow-paced game, and the majority of player interaction is likely to take place over QuickTopic. There may also be a fair amount of game-time where you do not have anything to do.

Signing up:
  • Zang, Drench, Xalxe, Twistedspoon: please confirm that you still want your pre-in slots.
  • For the rest of you not awesome enough to pre-in, you should clearly reply with '/in' if you wish to play.
  • The game will be played with teams of 3. If you missed out signing up you can still /in if you have 2 others.
  • Even if you are not directly involved in the game, you can still vote in the elections. The more the merrier!
I am also accepting replacements.

General Proceedings:
  1. See this post for a list of 15 various political issues (eg. Animal Rights). Once the game starts, each player should PM me a division of 30 'Personal Agenda Tokens' between these issues. These represent your own personal/political priorities with regards to various government policies (or your 'Individual Priorities', or IPs). (You can split them between as many or as few issues as you wish.) They will be the same throughout the whole game.
  2. I will then split players into teams/parties (via the medium of random.org).
  3. Each party will be given it's own quicktopic. You will have to choose a party name.
  4. At the beginning of each round, you must choose a party leader and
    three
    public priorities of the party as a whole (PPPs). These do not actually need to be related to
    any
    member's personal priorities.
  5. The party must also decide of a division of 20 PAT's between these three priorities. They will also be added to each member's IPs. Each public priority must have at least 1 PAT assigned to it.
  6. A public thread will be started with a poll, representing an election. The various options will be each parties' three public priorites (and in what order they are ranked), however, which party that it is will not be identified.
  7. If more than one party choses the exact same three public priorities (and ranks them in the same order), the parties concerned will be asked to change at least one of these priorities. In the unlikely case of the same scenario occuring again after this, then it will be repeated until there exist no parties with the same combination of priorities.
  8. Should any party have 50% of the votes, they are elected into government. Otherwise, it is up to the parties to form coalitions so that between them they have 50% of the votes.
  9. The next round starts at Step 4.

Government Elected (Single Party Majority):
  1. In the case that a party is elected into Government without the need for a coalition, then they will be given a link to that round's Government quicktopic.
  2. They must then agree (majority) on a division of 29 'Government Budget Tokens'. These Budget Points may be spent on as little or as many issues as the party chooses.

No Single Party Majority:
  1. In the case that there is no single party majority, all parties must try to form a coalition government with a majority (≥ 50%) vote.
  2. Ultimately, the leaders of each party are the ones who call the shots in this scenario.
  3. It is in all parties' interests for the parties involved in the coalition to have similar priorities.
  4. Preliminary discussion of possible GBT distribution is permitted.
  5. Should a Coalition Government be formed, the parties involved will be given a link to that round's Government QuickTopic.
  6. They must then agree (majority) on a division/spending of 29 'Government Budget Tokens' - between the two parties. These two parties then agree within their individual party's QuickTopic on how their party is going to spend their allocated GBT's on the various political issues.

Scoring:

There are two aspects to scoring - Party Scoring and Individual Scoring. Whether you want to play for yourself or for your team is up to you.
  • A party gains 100 Democracy Points for forming a Government without a need for a coalition.
  • All parties (
    n
    ) involved in a Coalition Government gain 120/
    n
    Democracy Points.
  • If a Government fails to agree on a division of GBTs, the party will be penalised 200 Democracy Points.
  • If a Coalition Government fails to agree on a division/spending of GBTs, then all parties involved will be penalised 180/
    n
    Democracy Points.
  • If no government can be formed, then
    all
    parties will be penalised 50 Democracy Points.
  • A party involved in Government will recieve
    xy
    Democracy Points, where
    x
    is the number of PATs assigned to a PPP and
    y
    is the number of GBTs spent on that priority.
  • All individuals in a Government gain 50 Self Points.
  • All individuals in a Coalition Government gain 30 Self Points.
  • All individuals in a Government, whether Coalition or not, that fails to agree on a division of GBTs, will be penalised 150 Self Points.
  • An individual involved in Government will recieve
    xy
    Self Points, where
    x
    is the number of PATs assigned to a priority, and
    y
    is the number of GBTs spent on that priority.

Politician Draft:

At the end of each round, each party leader has the option to nominate a party member for drafting. All members nominated for drafting will be randomly assigned to a party. You may end up drafted back into the same party.

Round Timings:
  1. Each party will have four days to select a leader and then select their public priorities and PAT division.
  2. The Public Poll/Voting stage will last for two days.
  3. If a single-party has a majority, then they will have four days to decide on the spending of GBT's.
  4. If there is no single-party majority, then party leaders will have four days to form a coalition.
  5. The Coalition Government (if formed) will then have seven days to decide on the spending of GBT's.
  6. The Politician Draft stage will then last for two days.
  7. There are a spare two days to allow for moderator/organisational error. (Rounds will last 2 or 3 weeks)
  8. There will be 1.5
    n
    rounds, where
    n
    is the number of parties competing (rounded up).

Other Information:

All rules are subject to change. Suggestions are welcome. I'm paticularly concerned about the poll idea, as I'm not sure that enough people will vote and thus the only voters (effectively) will be those taking part.
Last edited by Hoppster on Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:38 am, edited 12 times in total.
Benmage: First, for the sake of irony. I'm going to illustrate how completely idiotic and hypocritical scumhunter is.
Hoppster
Hoppster
Mafia Scum
Hoppster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:42 pm

Post by Hoppster »

tl;dr

You, a budding politician, have your own personal political agenda. You are randomly assigned to a party, and at the beginning of each round you apoint a party leader and decide on your party's political agenda. A poll is held where the public votes on the various agendas, and then if a party has at least 50% of the votes, they are elected to Government. Otherwise, parties must try to form a Coalition Government. Either way, the government have to decide on how to spend their budget. Individuals must decide whether to put theirselves or their party first.

Players:
  1. Zang
  2. Drench
  3. Xalxe
  4. Twistedspoon
  5. werewolf555
  6. Empking
  7. Kcdaspot
  8. AGar
  9. CooLDoG
  10. gandalf5166
  11. animorpherv1
  12. Cirno

Last edited by Hoppster on Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:37 am, edited 5 times in total.
Benmage: First, for the sake of irony. I'm going to illustrate how completely idiotic and hypocritical scumhunter is.
Hoppster
Hoppster
Mafia Scum
Hoppster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:42 pm

Post by Hoppster »

The Political Issues/Priorities

A brief description/summary of the issues, or what you might expect them to involve. The descriptions don't actually have any actual bearing on the game, it's just to make it less of a mundane list.

DISCLAIMER: Not intended to be taken seriously.

Aid/Charity (National & International)

Oh, these poor people don't have clean water to drink. Let's send them some missionaries. That'll help them.

Animal Rights

Should scientists experiment on rats? Should we wear fur? Should dogs be entitled to a say in neutering?

Armed Forces

Let's forcibly conscript everybody! Yaay! The Air Force are all pussies, let's disband them as well!

Countering Climate Change

Let's find renewable sources of energy! Solar Power! Wind Power! Forced-manual-labour Power!

Counter-terrorism

Why does this guy keep sending us Blu-Rays of himself? THEY WON'T WORK IN MY CRAPPY DVD PLAYER!

Education

Those who can't do, teach.

Equality of Rights

Let's not persecute based on race/gender/sexuality/other arbitary factor... let's persecute based on whether or not they can rub their stomach and pat their head simultaneously.

Foreign Relations

Let's face it, we all never liked France anyway. Zimbabwe is cool though. That Mugabe's got a sweet thing going on.

Healthcare

I just realised that people in our country are dying! Let's try to prolong their lives and increase their burden on the state.

Immigration

How can I show my authority... by needlessly persecuting ethnic minorities who come into our country!

International Trade

I don't want your crappy Thailand knock-offs. I want the real thing, straight from Vietnam.

National Finance

We appear to be in debt. Eh... it's probably better if we don't make the country go bankrupt.

Nuclear Development

Boom.

Public Services

Bring back our libraries! We want more buses! More free prostitutes for everybody!

Space Exploration

OHMYGOD I JUST TOTALLY SAW A GREENSPACEALIENORSOMAT.
Last edited by Hoppster on Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hoppster
Hoppster
Mafia Scum
Hoppster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:43 pm

Post by Hoppster »

Abbreviations/Clarification:

PAT
- Personal Agenda Token:
Players are given 30 of these to distribute these between the 15 Political Issues as their
IPs
, and this will last for the whole of the game. At the beginning of each round, each party decides on an additional distribution of 20 PAT's between
three
Political Issues as their
PPs
, and each member of that party will then have that added to their
IPs
for the remainder of that round

GBT
- Government Budget Token:
Government is given 29 of these to distribute between the 15 Political Issues. In the case of a Coalition Government, the Coalition can either decide on division as a whole, or alternatively split the 29 tokens between the two parties, who then decide within their own party on the division of their allocated tokens.

IP
- Individual Prioritiy:
See PAT for more information. It is a political issue to which a player has assigned at least one PAT.

PPP
- Public Party Priority:
See PAT for more information. It is one (of three) political issue(s) to which a party has assigned at least one PAT.

DPt
- Democracy Point:
See 'Scoring' for more information. At the end of the game, the winning party is the one with the most Democracy Points.

SPt
- Self Point:
See 'Scoring' for more information. At the end of the game, the winning individual is the one with the most Self Points.

NB: Do not feel obliged to use these abbreviations. It is just that I may use them, and they are here to clarify.
Last edited by Hoppster on Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Xalxe
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:48 pm

Post by Xalxe »

/confirm pre-in
"I, too, would prefer to know the Xalxe of my demise." - Felissan, 2022
- On this day in history: mundanity, and terror, and food, and love, and trees -
JDGA
JDGA
Goon
JDGA
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:52 pm

Post by JDGA »

How many rounds does this go for? But in any case...
I don't know if I'd enjoy playing the game too much, but I'll certainly participate as a voter.
Fickle, cold and harsh or caring and warm
Strongly opinionated or barely invested, but a constant
You know the wind will always come back.
Drench
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
crucial waukesha voter
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:12 pm

Post by Drench »

/confirm
join your union
werewolf555
werewolf555
Goon
werewolf555
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:23 pm

Post by werewolf555 »

/confirm
I'm not dead yet
"Sens: Please rearrange Werewolf and Mist into a scumteam so we can policy lynch." -GreyICE
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:31 pm

Post by Empking »

/in
Plus, if you guys want to make a point, skip the walls, because everyone else in the game does as well. - Magister Ludi
Kcdaspot
Kcdaspot
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Kcdaspot
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:59 pm

Post by Kcdaspot »

/in
A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
Hoppster
Hoppster
Mafia Scum
Hoppster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:35 pm

Post by Hoppster »

JDGA wrote:How many rounds does this go for? But in any case...
I don't know if I'd enjoy playing the game too much, but I'll certainly participate as a voter.
It depends on how many people sign up (and how many parties we have as a result).
Hoppster
Hoppster
Mafia Scum
Hoppster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:37 pm

Post by Hoppster »

werewolf555 wrote:/confirm
Wrong thread? I've put you down anyway but I don't actually recall you having a pre-in slot.
AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:24 pm

Post by AGar »

This could be interesting.

/in
Ski mask? Check! Sawed off? Check! Guilty conscience, fear of death? Check! Check! Check!

Get to know me. Or don't. I won't tell you what to do. I'm not God. Or your father. Or your boss.
Twistedspoon
Twistedspoon
Jack of All Trades
Twistedspoon
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:19 am

Post by Twistedspoon »

/confirm
1 Thessalonians 5:21: Test everything, but hold fast onto what is good

"Murder is no better than cards if cards can do the trick"
~Screwtape
CooLDoG
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:31 am

Post by CooLDoG »

/in, pm me win the game starts. Sounds really neat.
after a wank.
gandalf5166
gandalf5166
Jack of All Trades
gandalf5166
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:58 am

Post by gandalf5166 »

/in
Twistedspoon
Twistedspoon
Jack of All Trades
Twistedspoon
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:25 am

Post by Twistedspoon »

Hoppster wrote:Suggestions are welcome.
You could choose a few party leaders and give them tokens to bid for party members.
Auctions are always fun, and team spirit should be nice and high :]

~Screwtape
Xalxe
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
It's pronounced "Xalxe"

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:49 am

Post by Xalxe »

Yes! Do that!
- On this day in history: mundanity, and terror, and food, and love, and trees -
Twistedspoon
Twistedspoon
Jack of All Trades
Twistedspoon
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:05 am

Post by Twistedspoon »

Xalxe wrote:Yes! Do that!
Xalxe is a pretty cool guy :]

~Screwtape
Xalxe
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
It's pronounced "Xalxe"

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:45 am

Post by Xalxe »

Twistedspoon wrote:
No sucking up just to get on my team now.
Twistedspoon
Twistedspoon
Jack of All Trades
Twistedspoon
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:47 am

Post by Twistedspoon »

Xalxe wrote:
Twistedspoon wrote:
No sucking up just to get on my team now.
o rly?

I'll have my own team anyways

~Screwtape
Xalxe
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
It's pronounced "Xalxe"

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:52 am

Post by Xalxe »

ORLY?
Hoppster
Hoppster
Mafia Scum
Hoppster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:57 am

Post by Hoppster »

Twistedspoon wrote:
Hoppster wrote:Suggestions are welcome.
You could choose a few party leaders and give them tokens to bid for party members.
Auctions are always fun, and team spirit should be nice and high :]
No, damnit. As I said before, stuff like this makes the loners on this forum feel even worse. But thanks for the suggestion.
CooLDoG
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:59 am

Post by CooLDoG »

Hoopster, you might try running the poll in GD/forum 62. Telling people that it is for a mish-mash game.
after a wank.
Xalxe
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
It's pronounced "Xalxe"

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:04 am

Post by Xalxe »

CooLDoG wrote:Hoopster, you might try running the poll in GD/forum 62. Telling people that it is for a mish-mash game.
Because that worked SO WELL for shotty.

Return to “Social Game Archive”