He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Pronoun: He/him

The Amazing Race - Begins Sunday

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:34 am

Post by Xalxe »

How to Play

Each Leg is conducted in stages. The stages have been crafted to mimic the real Race as closely as possible without driving the moderator OR the players bonkers.

Stage -1: The Signups

Each player will sign up via PM so as to maintain secrecy. When players sign up, they will send me their top three choices for which team they would like to play as. They must choose a team from the history of the Amazing Race. For reference, look at the Wikipedia article here. Once 11 teams are signed up, Stage -1 will close permanently.
CLOSED

Stage 0: Check-In

Stage 0 will occur at the beginning of every leg. The players will be sent a link to a chat room where they will meet up with “Phil” and the other teams before the beginning of the Race. After the first leg, the chat room for departure is the same as the chat room used for the Pit Stop of the previous leg.

During Stage 0, teams may socialize and talk trash. However, they may NOT reveal their identities. Doing so gets you penalties like you wouldn’t believe.

Stage 1: Money!

Stage 1 occurs prior to Departure for each leg. Each team will be given a sum of cash for the Leg. This cash will be added to any cash left over from the previous leg.

Stage 2: Airports

This stage occurs immediately after Departure for each team. Teams must choose, given four options, which flight they wish to take to their next destination. Faster flights cost more money, so choose wisely!
A
dditionally, prices and speeds fluctuate throughout this stage, so teams may wish to wait for a better price to appear.

Once a team has chosen a flight, they will wait until their flight has “landed” before proceeding. Teams will not be able to proceed until they receive the next password from Phil.

Stage 3: Tasks

This stage makes up the main portion of the leg. Teams will take part in AT LEAST two tasks in this stage. Different types of tasks are explained below.

Spoiler:
Detour

On The Amazing Race, Detours are described as “a choice between two tasks, each with its own pros and cons.” It is much the same in this edition. Teams will be given two tasks and must choose one of the two to complete. Once they have completed one, they are free to move on.

Roadblock

On The Amazing Race, Roadblocks are described as “a task
w
hich only one team member may perform.” On this edition, it is merely a required task. Completion will give you the next password.

Fast Forward

A Fast Forward allows teams to make up massive amounts of time, or just take a larger lead. By completing the Fast Forward, teams may skip all remaining tasks on the Leg and go straight to the Pit Stop.

Yield

Yields are not Tasks: they are Twists. A Yield forces a Team to wait a designated amount of time before proceeding. A Team may Yield any other Team; however, each Team may only use the Yield once. Additionally, the Yielding Team’s identity will be revealed to all players.

U-Turn

U-Turns are not Tasks: they are Twists. A U-Turn forces one team to go back to the Detour and complete the half they did not choose. A Team may U-Turn any other Team; however, each Team may only use the U-Turn once. Additionally, the U-Turning Team’s identity will be revealed to all players.

Speed Bump

Speed Bumps are additional Tasks assigned to one team only. Whenever a Non-Elimination Leg saves a Team, they are Marked for Elimination and given a Speed Bump on the next leg. Once they complete the Speed Bump, they may continue racing and attempt to make up additional time.

Intersections

Man, fuck Intersections.

Stage 4: Route Info

This Stage usually occurs right before the
P
it Stop for a Leg. In this Stage, teams must choose from one of four methods of transportation based upon speed and cost. Much like the airport, prices and speeds fluctuate, so waiting for a cheaper price isn’t necessarily a bad idea.

Stage 5: Pit Stop

Ah, the Pit Stop. Here you meet your maker—er, Phil. Teams check into the Pit Stop at the end of each Leg. The first team to do so will be awarded a prize, whether extra cash for the next leg or a discount on airfare. The last team to check into the Pit Stop may be eliminated.

Important Notes

1) When signing up, in addition to sen
d
ing me what team you wish to be, you must send me the five letters that are underlined in the rules. While this cannot guarantee that you’ve read them, I can only hope.
2) All legs will begin Sunday afternoons/evenings EST at various times, depending on schedules. However, times set by Phil are going to be incredibly difficult to change. Best not even try.
3) You must be able to take screenshots and play flash games in order to
c
ompete. If you do not, I can help you with both issues; just let me know.
Last edited by Xalxe on Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:44 am, edited 7 times in total.
"I, too, would prefer to know the Xalxe of my demise." - Felissan, 2022
- On this day in history: mundanity, and terror, and food, and love, and trees -
Xalxe
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
It's pronounced "Xalxe"

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:00 pm

Post by Xalxe »

All 11 teams have checked in. I will send out PMs tomorrow. The first leg will begin Sunday afternoon.
- On this day in history: mundanity, and terror, and food, and love, and trees -
Xalxe
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
It's pronounced "Xalxe"

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:20 am

Post by Xalxe »

Leg 1 Results

Santiago, Chile

1. Debra and Steve
2. Nick & Vicki
3. Tara & Will
4. Derek & Drew
5. Millie & Chuck
6. Rob & Brennan
7. Maria & Tiffany
8. BJ & Tyler
9. Brian & Greg
10. Charla & Mirna

Eliminated:
Michael & Kevin

Return to “Social Game Archive”