Survivor
chesskid3
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:11 pm

Post by chesskid3 »

DRENCH SHOT CHESSKID

NEWS AT 2
Papa Zito - "Your signature has been blanked...we remove signatures at a users request if said signature references them, or if it quotes from a thread in the Speakeasy, which is not allowed without permission of the poster"
mastermind
mastermind
Goon
mastermind
Goon
Goon

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:13 pm

Post by mastermind »

Alliances/coalitions are made in the mole so that's not a big surprise, but I get what Blackberry means. The thing is if you're trying to align with the mole here you are giving a significant advantage to the mole in terms of adding money to their own pot, which is how you win the game.
Blackberry
Blackberry
berry
Blackberry
berry
berry

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:16 pm

Post by Blackberry »

If me and player X are aligned, yes I'll help player X get money because then player X will help me get money when I'm the Mole. =P
Xalxe
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:17 pm

Post by Xalxe »

In post 28, Blackberry wrote:If me and player X are aligned, yes I'll help player X get money because then player X will help me get money when I'm the Mole. =P

Except if he knows you're the mole he can not help you and then guess right.

Then you can't eliminate him.
"I, too, would prefer to know the Xalxe of my demise." - Felissan, 2022
- On this day in history: mundanity, and terror, and food, and love, and trees -
Blackberry
Blackberry
berry
Blackberry
berry
berry

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:21 pm

Post by Blackberry »

Why would he not help me? If he's my friend and ally it benefits him to help me. A: We can eliminate whoever we want. B: I can help him keep his cover when he is The Mole. C:I can help him earn money when he is The Mole, etc., etc.
mastermind
mastermind
Goon
mastermind
Goon
Goon

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:29 pm

Post by mastermind »

But that plan can only work if one of you is the mole right? Otherwise you're basically playing the game. I was only trying to be creative/different and still try to make the incentive of players playing to win the missions and the mole trying to sabotage as best as he can.
chesskid3
chesskid3
Survivor
chesskid3
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:33 pm

Post by chesskid3 »

CHESSKID

NEWS AT 3
Papa Zito - "Your signature has been blanked...we remove signatures at a users request if said signature references them, or if it quotes from a thread in the Speakeasy, which is not allowed without permission of the poster"
Blackberry
Blackberry
berry
Blackberry
berry
berry

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:51 pm

Post by Blackberry »

In post 31, mastermind wrote:But that plan can only work if one of you is the mole right? Otherwise you're basically playing the game. I was only trying to be creative/different and still try to make the incentive of players playing to win the missions and the mole trying to sabotage as best as he can.

Everyone is guaranteed to be The Mole at least once. Best plan for sabotage and go without being suspected: grab a friend (or small group) that you trust and that trusts you. You tell eachother when you're the Mole, and I will make sure all the challenges are lost when he/she/they are the Mole, and they make sure all the challenges are lost when I'm the Mole. :P

If you've ever seen Trapped/played online, it's very easily broken by groups of players banding together.
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:01 pm

Post by animorpherv1 »

In post 33, Blackberry wrote:
In post 31, mastermind wrote:But that plan can only work if one of you is the mole right? Otherwise you're basically playing the game. I was only trying to be creative/different and still try to make the incentive of players playing to win the missions and the mole trying to sabotage as best as he can.

Everyone is guaranteed to be The Mole at least once.

That's not my definition of random, sir.
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

"Ani is right 100% of the time" - Alisae
Xalxe
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
It's pronounced "Xalxe"

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:02 pm

Post by Xalxe »

In post 0, mastermind wrote:The mole is randomly chosen from those who have not already been the mole. You cannot become the mole again until everyone else has.
- On this day in history: mundanity, and terror, and food, and love, and trees -
Xalxe
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
It's pronounced "Xalxe"

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:39 pm

Post by Xalxe »

mastermind
: Is each round's mole revealed afterwards, or is it kept secret?
Drench
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
crucial waukesha voter
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:45 pm

Post by Drench »

In post 26, chesskid3 wrote:DRENCH SHOT CHESSKID

NEWS AT 2

if i'm mentioned in games i'm not in am i officially a celebrity

NEWS AT 4
join your union
cg5
cg5
Townie
cg5
Townie
Townie

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:59 am

Post by cg5 »

Instead of having everyone guess the mole and the mole eliminating someone who was wrong, you could have everyone rank the other players from most likely to be the mole to least likely, and eliminate whoever put the actual mole the lowest in their list (the mole breaking ties if necessary).
mastermind
mastermind
Goon
mastermind
Goon
Goon

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:22 am

Post by mastermind »

In post 36, Xalxe wrote:
mastermind
: Is each round's mole revealed afterwards, or is it kept secret?

It was going to be kept secret.

I have all the challenges and stuff so I really don't mind making this just another mole game if that draws more interest.
RedPanda
RedPanda
Mafia Scum
RedPanda
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:25 am

Post by RedPanda »

I'd play this if this was just a normal mole game.
Blackberry
Blackberry
berry
Blackberry
berry
berry

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:23 am

Post by Blackberry »

In post 40, RedPanda wrote:I'd play this if this was just a normal mole game.

This.

But feel free to try out what you desire. Im overly critical ;-).
danakillsu
danakillsu
Mafia Scum
danakillsu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:52 am

Post by danakillsu »

Man. I've never gotten to play the Mole, and when I clicked on this I thought I'd have my chance. But it's not even similar. :(
cg5
cg5
Townie
cg5
Townie
Townie

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:10 am

Post by cg5 »

Am I the only one who thinks the way vanilla Mole handles eliminations is stupid?
Blackberry
Blackberry
berry
Blackberry
berry
berry

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:14 am

Post by Blackberry »

In post 43, cg5 wrote:Am I the only one who thinks the way vanilla Mole handles eliminations is stupid?

What part (and why) is stupid exactly? >_>
danakillsu
danakillsu
Mafia Scum
danakillsu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:25 am

Post by danakillsu »

You know, I might still join except for the fact that randomly choosing the Mole every time and eliminating the Mole under certain circumstances (which are by no means unlikely) makes one's success somewhat dependent on not being chosen as the Mole early on.
cg5
cg5
Townie
cg5
Townie
Townie

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:29 am

Post by cg5 »

In post 44, Blackberry wrote:
In post 43, cg5 wrote:Am I the only one who thinks the way vanilla Mole handles eliminations is stupid?

The part where you answer a quiz, with questions like "Is the Mole male or female?" How am I supposed to guess that? There's no correlation between Mole-ness and gender. Like, I can't really look at the past events and conclude that we have a male Mole. The best I can do look at my top suspects and say, like, 3 of them are male and 2 are female, and guess which is more likely from that, which maximises the probability, but there's still luck involved. Why not just cut the questions and do this:

have everyone rank the other players from most likely to be the mole to least likely, and eliminate whoever put the actual mole the lowest in their list
, and then your elimination is decided entirely by how accurate your suspicions are.

On the other hand, questions about what actions the mole made in the previous challenge are fine, as you can actually reason about what the mole would be more likely to do.

That said, I never actually watched more than 3 episodes. Did the audience ever even see the quiz questions?
Xalxe
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
It's pronounced "Xalxe"

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:30 am

Post by Xalxe »

You see, some of the questions are based on attentiveness, which doesn't translate well to online play (example: What did the Mole order for dinner?).
saulres
saulres
Mafia Scum
saulres
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:34 am

Post by saulres »

In Mole Mafia we had questions like "How many moles were on this wagon". There are ways to make it work in a forum game.

Unfortunately, changing the mole each round is not, I think, one of them.

In post 40, RedPanda wrote:I'd play this if this was just a normal mole game.

^this, probably
"SAULRES you are THE man! Fav mod eva, no contest!" - Bert; "Saulres is a fantastic mod, if he is running a game everyone needs to join it." - FuDuzn
Nominated for Paperback Writer Scummie 2013 and 2014!
On permanent
V/LA
Friday afternoons through Saturday nights.
Blackberry
Blackberry
berry
Blackberry
berry
berry

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:12 pm

Post by Blackberry »

In post 46, cg5 wrote:
In post 44, Blackberry wrote:

The part where you answer a quiz, with questions like "Is the Mole male or female?" How am I supposed to guess that? There's no correlation between Mole-ness and gender. Like, I can't really look at the past events and conclude that we have a male Mole. The best I can do look at my top suspects and say, like, 3 of them are male and 2 are female, and guess which is more likely from that, which maximises the probability, but there's still luck involved. Why not just cut the questions and do this:

have everyone rank the other players from most likely to be the mole to least likely, and eliminate whoever put the actual mole the lowest in their list
, and then your elimination is decided entirely by how accurate your suspicions are.

On the other hand, questions about what actions the mole made in the previous challenge are fine, as you can actually reason about what the mole would be more likely to do.

That said, I never actually watched more than 3 episodes. Did the audience ever even see the quiz questions?

The beauty of the Quiz format is that if you stay or go is based entirely upon yourself. Unlike other games, allliances and other people disliking you play no factor in whether you win or lose, as ultimately it depends on how well your suspscions are of the identity of The Mole. The new format proposed by mastermind, although interseting, completely eliminates the fact that whether or not you stay or go is based entirely on yourself. This could essentially be relabeled "Ferris Wheel Revamped" as it's basically Ferris Wheel except if you can guess who is the shooter that round you get immunity. :P

There is actually a LOT more strategy to taking the Quiz than meets the eye. If you have three main suspects, essentially sure you might put Male as your answer to that question. Remember,
you still have NINE other questions
. Your survival is not dependent on any one question.

What you are proposing "rank the players" is an idea... although all it is essentially doing is
dumbing down
what the Quiz is already doing. And it has the strong potential to 'break' the game as well and make it too easy for players to identify the Mole. I don't see a huge issue with it other than the fact it is dumbing down
exactly what the Quiz is doing
. I could elaborate more, but I don't want to ruin all the strategies of "The Mole" so easily. Just trust me when I say this is what the Quiz is already doing 100%.

Lastly, concerning the Quizzes, how I have always done my quizzes and my top preference for how other moderators should do quizzes in Mole games: Make sure the answers are all locatable. For example, I would NEVER ask for the gender and location of where the Mole lives in an anonymous game, as that boils down completely to luck. I strongly prefer all questions are found within the thread or forum area so that nothing is based on luck or opportunity. This ensures fairness to all parties. I will agree with you 100% that if the moderator does base questions on opportunity or luck, it does lower the fairness (and thus the fun level) of the game.

Return to “Social Game Archive”