Watcher
Professor Oak
Watcher
Watcher

The Arena: Pokémon Battle [SIGN-UPS CLOSED]

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:41 am

Post by Professor Oak »

{Presented by: TheBadOne}

Greetings, trainers! I am here to announce a brand new 16-player, anonymous game: The Arena: Pokémon Battle. As its format is new, let's start with explaining how the game works.

{Format}

The Arena: Pokémon Battle will use the
ARENA
format. Sixteen players will be divided into two teams of eight. Every round both teams will go to tribal council and will vote one member of their team into the arena. These two players duel for their life, with the loser being eliminated. The winner of the duel gets the choice of returning to his old team or joining the other team. This repeats until the game reaches a set number of players, at which the players will merge into one group. Two players will still be voted in the arena every round (please note that every player still only has one vote), and the winner of the duel goes back to the merged group. This will continue until there are three players left. These three players will go to the Final Tribal Council, after which all jury members vote for the player they want to win. Twists might occur at certain stages, but these will be explained later on.

{General Rules}

[01]
This is a game. The main objective is to have fun; so no excessive flaming, spamming, or submission of anything else prohibited within the MS forums.
[02]
This is a game. The secondary objective is to win. Regardless of how amusing you think it may be, do not join merely to troll the other players.
[03]
I am not infallible, so if I make a mistake, please point it out and I will correct it if needed.
[04]
I have worked extensively to produce a game that is enjoyed by all involved. As such, I promise to offer each player respect but expect to be shown the same in return.
[05]
Do not modify avatars. I have spent time and care to create these avatars, and I would rather not spend time making unnecessary revisions.
[06]
Exercise common sense. If you are unsure as to whether an action conflicts with the rules, ask. Yes, this is a competition, but do not attempt to undermine challenges or game mechanics for your own gain. This violates both the spirit of the game and common respect mentioned above.
[07]
Do NOT communicate privately with players not on your current team
[08]
I reserve all rights to implement new rules if needed.

{Game-Related Rules}

[01]
This game is completely
anonymous
, so that means that at no point you are allowed to give away your identity, or give any hints towards it. Communication outside private messages is forbidden. Failure to follow these rules will result in severe punishment.

{Tribal councils}

[02]
Every tribal council will have a deadline of 24 hours. If you do not submit a vote before deadline, you will receive a self-vote.
[03]
If you know in advance you will be unable to log in during the 24 hour tribal council, you may leave a pre-vote (or list). You are allowed to change your votes as much as you want before deadline.
[04]
In case of a tie, a revote will take place. If the revote ends in another tie, a purple rock tiebreaker will occur, with
every
person in the team drawing rocks.

{Duels}

[05]
Every duel will have a 24-hour deadline. Duelists need to have
completed
the duel by deadline.
[06] IMPORTANT:
It is strictly forbidden to message players from another team. However, the two duelists are, during the 24 hours their duel lasts, allowed to message people from both teams. Once the winning duelist joins a team, he is not allowed to communicate with the other team anymore.
[07]
Failure to complete the duel in time will result in immediate elimination. If both players fail to complete the duel, they will both be eliminated.
[08]
When a player has completed the duel, he/she also has to post which team he/she wants to join. Failure to do so will result in your team pick being randomized
[09] I have spent a great amount of time on developing the duels. There will be no luck-based duels, no live duels and no duels involving judges. Every duel will involve skill. To maximize this, every duel will be semi-live.

{Spectators}

[10]
I will be accepting spectators for this game. If you wish to spectate this game, send me a message.

{Activity}

This game will follow a very set structure. It will be fast-paced and should take about one month. I don't want this game to drag on for too long, but this requires participants to be active. If you sign-up, please make sure you are able to be active for the next month.

{Application}

The available characters for this game are:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Brock-Misty-Lt. Surge-Erika-Koga-Sabrina-Blaine-Giovanni
Red-Blue-James-Jessie-Lorelei-Bruno-Agatha-Lance

If you wish to apply for this game, please send me a message, answering the following questions.
1. What is your username?
2. Have you competed in large, reality show games (Survivor, Big Brother, The Mole, Endurance, The List, etc.) before? If so, which ones?
3. If accepted, what strategy would you use?
4. Please list your top 5 character picks (in order)
Character 1:
Character 2:
Character 3:
Character 4:
Character 5:
{Additional notes}

Sign-ups will close
Sunday, November 24th at 4pm EST
. Applying does not automatically give you a spot. If I receive more than 16 applications, I will have to make a decision. This will not be first-come first-serve.
Log-in information will be given out
Monday, November 25th between 6:30 and 7 pm EST

Professor S. Oak
Last edited by Professor Oak on Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:10 am, edited 4 times in total.
Professor Oak
Professor Oak
Watcher
Professor Oak
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:52 am

Post by Professor Oak »

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to send me a message either on this board or on AIM (my aim is TheBadOneScum).
Professor Oak
Professor Oak
Watcher
Professor Oak
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:01 pm

Post by Professor Oak »

Another note: Pokémon knowledge is not a must. Most duels will be pokémon-themed, but don't require you to be a Pokémon expert.
Professor Oak
Professor Oak
Watcher
Professor Oak
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:09 am

Post by Professor Oak »

Sign-ups are now closed. As I received more than 16 applications, I'm afraid not everyone will get a spot in this game. Log-in information will be sent out tomorrow (monday) between 6:30 and 7pm EST. If you have not received a message by 7pm EST tomorrow, then I apologize but you haven't been selected for this game.

I am still looking for spectators though, so if you wish to spectate you can still send me a message.
Professor Oak
Professor Oak
Watcher
Professor Oak
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:42 am

Post by Professor Oak »

The game is officially underway! 16 trainers entered the arena this monday, and only one can be the true champion. The first two people have been voted into the arena already. The first duel is:

Image Image Image

Results of the first duel will be posted soon!
Professor Oak
Professor Oak
Watcher
Professor Oak
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:26 am

Post by Professor Oak »

In the first duel, Jessie and Brock had to solve a word search to get access to a scrambled sentence. The first one to unscramble the sentence would be the winner of the duel. Jessie was able to defeat Brock, which means that

Brock was the first player eliminated from the arena.

As the winner of the duel, Jessie was given the choice to either go back to the red team or join the blue team. She decided to join the blue team!
Professor Oak
Professor Oak
Watcher
Professor Oak
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:31 am

Post by Professor Oak »

In the second round, the Red team voted Red into the duel, while the Blue team voted for Misty.

ImageImageImage

Misty and Red were both given a string of symbols, representing specific types. They had to post the energy cards which were super effective against it as fast as possible. In a close and fast duel, Red was able to defeat Misty, which means that

Misty was the second player eliminated from the arena.

As the winner of the duel, Red decided to leave his old team and join the blue team.
Professor Oak
Professor Oak
Watcher
Professor Oak
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:36 am

Post by Professor Oak »

In round three, James was voted into the duel after the votes were initially tied. His opponent would be Blaine, who was voted out by the blue team.

ImageImageImage

For this challenge, the duelists had to solve a crossword. There were no clues for the crossword, but all answers were given from the start. They had to fill in all the words into the crossword as fast as possible. In the end, Blaine came out on top, which means that

James is the third player eliminated from the arena, and also the first red player eliminated.

Blaine decided to go back to the blue team, which means that blue now has three more members than red. What will happen next? You will find out soon, as the fourth duel will commence this evening!
Professor Oak
Professor Oak
Watcher
Professor Oak
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:44 am

Post by Professor Oak »

In round four, we had a colourful battle, with Red battling against Blue.

ImageImageImage

For this duel, Red and Blue had to form words with several groups of letters from the periodic table. In a very strong performance, Red beat Blue, which meant that

Blue became the fourth player eliminated from the arena

Red decided to go back to the Red Team (ha!)

12 players left!
Professor Oak
Professor Oak
Watcher
Professor Oak
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:47 am

Post by Professor Oak »

In round five, Bruno was voted into the arena by the Red Team, and the Blue team voted Koga in

ImageImageImage

Bruno and Koga had to complete a dropdown puzzle. By a mere 7 seconds, Bruno beat Koga, which meant that

Koga was the fifth player to go out.

Bruno decided to go back to the Red Team
Professor Oak
Professor Oak
Watcher
Professor Oak
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:51 am

Post by Professor Oak »

In round six, Agatha was Red Team's duelist, and Erika was voted into the arena by the Blue team.

ImageImageImage

Agatha and Erika had to solve a questionnaire of 12 questions about Pokémon, for which they got 15 minutes. Agatha managed to get all 12 questions correct, while Erika only got 10 right.

Erika became the sixth player eliminated from the arena

Agatha was the winner of this duel, but she didn't get to choose which team to join. Instead, the 10 remaining players were merged into one team, the Yellow Team!

ImageImageImageImageImage
Professor Oak
Professor Oak
Watcher
Professor Oak
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:55 am

Post by Professor Oak »

In their first Tribal Council as the merged Yellow Team, Lorelei and Giovanni were voted into the arena.

ImageImageImage

For this duel, Lorelei and Giovanni had to identify 16 drastically altered pictures of pokémon and trainers. Lorelei did not complete the duel in time, which meant that

Lorelei became the first member of the jury.

Giovanni was back into the game!
Professor Oak
Professor Oak
Watcher
Professor Oak
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:59 am

Post by Professor Oak »

In round 8, Agatha and Jessie were voted into the arena.

Image Image Image

For this duel the duelists had to complete a traditional jigsaw puzzle. Agatha was 10 minutes faster than Jessie, so

Jessie became the second juror, and

Agatha got another chance!

8 people elminated, 8 people left!
Professor Oak
Professor Oak
Watcher
Professor Oak
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:02 pm

Post by Professor Oak »

In round 9, Bruno and Giovanni both went to their second duel.

ImageImageImage

For this duel, Bruno and Giovanni had to solve combination locks. Giovanni was not able to complete the duel in time, which meant that

Giovanni became the ninth trainer eliminated from the arena, and

Bruno was back alive!
Professor Oak
Professor Oak
Watcher
Professor Oak
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:08 pm

Post by Professor Oak »

In round 10, Bruno had to go in again. This time, Sabrina was his opponent

ImageImageImage

for this duel, the duelists had to solve a cryoptogram puzzle. The third duel became the end of Bruno, so

Bruno became the tenth trainer eliminated from the arena, and

Sabrina was not done playing yet!

6 players left, but only one would be able to become the winner of this game..
Professor Oak
Professor Oak
Watcher
Professor Oak
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:12 pm

Post by Professor Oak »

Duel eleven featured Lance against Blaine

ImageImageImage

Blaine and Lance had to count several pictures with pokéballs. Lance completed the duel like a true Dragon Master and was able to beat Blaine.

Blaine became the fourth member of the jury, and

Lance was totally back in again!
Professor Oak
Professor Oak
Watcher
Professor Oak
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:16 pm

Post by Professor Oak »

The end is coming closer, only five people left. In round 12, Agatha and Lt. Surge were voted into the arena. With this everyone has been in at least one duel.

ImageImageImage

For this duel, Surge and Agatha had to answer a list of true or false questions. Agatha managed to get one more right than Surge, so

Lieutenant Surge was eliminated from the arena, coming fifth.

Agatha got another chance!
Professor Oak
Professor Oak
Watcher
Professor Oak
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:19 pm

Post by Professor Oak »

Duel 13 was the last duel of this game. Agatha had to battle against Sabrina, and one of them would join Red and Lance in the finals. Would we get an all-red final 3?

ImageImageImage

For the final duel, Agatha and Sabrina had to solve a jigsaw puzzle, followed by a word search and then a maze. Agatha's time of 52 minutes was not good enough to beat Sabrina's 44 minutes, so

Agatha became the last trainer eliminated by a duel.

Sabrina managed to keep her chances alive, and secured her spot at Final 3!
Professor Oak
Professor Oak
Watcher
Professor Oak
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:20 pm

Post by Professor Oak »

Final Tribal Council

Three trainers left, one of them will be the winner of The Arena: Pokémon Battle. Who will it be? We'll find out within a week!
Professor Oak
Professor Oak
Watcher
Professor Oak
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:04 am

Post by Professor Oak »

Announcement of the winner and cast reveal are going on! Results will soon be posted here, but don't miss the live reveal!
Professor Oak
Professor Oak
Watcher
Professor Oak
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:36 am

Post by Professor Oak »

This game has come to a conclusion. The winner of The Arena: Pokémon Battle, by a vote of 3-2-2:

Lance!
Professor Oak
Professor Oak
Watcher
Professor Oak
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:37 am

Post by Professor Oak »

16th place: Brock - Played by Klick
15th place: Misty - Played by KingdomAces
14th place: James - Played by Xofelf
13th place: Blue - Played by animorpherv1
12th place: Koga - Played by Broseidon
11th place: Erika - Played by Tragedy
10th place: Lorelei - Played by CuddlyCaucasian
9th place: Jessie - Played by Chesskid3
8th place: Giovanni - Played by Orcinus_theoriginal
7th place: Bruno - Played by Jal
6th place: Blaine - Played by Deathnote
5th place: Lt. Surge - Played by BlackBerry
4th place: Agatha - Played by Espeonage
2nd place: Sabrina - Played by Xalxe
2nd place: Red - Played by D3f3nd3r
1st place: Lance - Played by Snakes
Professor Oak
Professor Oak
Watcher
Professor Oak
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:38 am

Post by Professor Oak »

Spectators:
Chansey - Pickemgenius
Jigglypuff - Deasvail
Kabutops - Yiley
Meowth - Crazy
Pidgeotto - caledfwitch
Seel - PrivateI
Vulpix - Nyalite
Weedle - AcRv
Professor Oak
Professor Oak
Watcher
Professor Oak
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:43 am

Post by Professor Oak »

So, the game is over! I'd like to congratulate Snakes on his victory and thank all the players and spectators for making this a great game! Overall I think the game went pretty well, even though it was a new format (and there might be some improvements possible). As this was a brand new format and it was the first time I modded a game, I'd be more than happy to hear opinions about the format/how it was modded/the duels.

Once again, thank you everyone and congratulations Snakes/Lance! ^_^

Both this topic and the board have been opened (board link: http://w11.zetaboards.com/Pokemon_Battle/index/)
Nyalite
Nyalite
Goon
Nyalite
Goon
Goon

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:13 am

Post by Nyalite »

Thank you all for enduring all my questioning! I had a ton of fun and I hope I didn't annoy you all too much!

Congratulations Snakes on your win!
"He might fascinate you. I despise him with every fiber of my being."

Return to “Social Game Archive”