Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary
Protection unnecessary
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:45 am

Post by Save The Dragons »

...that's not how you use the word respectively. *end grammar rant*

edit: StD said with a typo in his sentence.

----

So I don't know if you all noticed, but I apparently suck at this game. I got distracted by shiny things, like powers.

Boy do I sure like powers. Don't you?

You know who doesn't like powers?

MR COUNTERSPELL DUDE (burning_earth)

That's right, Boycott person.

If you want to use your powers like I do, then I suggest we focus fire the boycotter first. That's my plan, at least. (no offense, b_e. I'm just kind of dead no matter what I do so I just want to use my pewpews before I die. Is that so much to ask?).
Last edited by Save The Dragons on Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thurhame
Thurhame
Goon
Thurhame
Goon
Goon

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:59 am

Post by Thurhame »

In case it got hidden by the page change, I'd like to repeat my question to the mod. How does the bunny work, i.e. What does "a very special visit" mean?

Also, for spending energy on distracting the bunny: How do ties work, and is there any difference between the "most energy" victim and the "least energy" victim?
Save The Dragons
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary
Protection unnecessary

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:40 am

Just a heads up: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this guy is pretty beastly with his yin and yang artifact.

Just want to say that as loudly as possible and bring that to everyone's attention.

:D
In post 38, Thurhame wrote:Question about Batman Captions: What is a "set of damage"?

For example, say SomeGuy (energy 100) gets hit by three attacks of 20, 30, and 50. He uses his defense of 20 to block the first attack, leaving 80 damage incoming.
Batman wishes to increase the damage to SomeGuy as much as possible. How many times can he use his Batman Captions ability against SomeGuy: 1, 2, or 3 times?

Also, is Batman Captions an activated power, since it says "may"?
Can I get an answer to this?

Like can I attack someone for 1 damage 100 times and if I come up with 100 different words I do 500 damage? I'm sure this is not the case.

Also would love to know if it's activated or not. I can see it being so because I have to do it but at the same time it seems to be in response to doing damage so I just don't know. I believe I've already established my track record of not being the sharpest crayon in the toolshed.
Caycedo
Caycedo
Goon
Caycedo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:09 am

Post by Caycedo »

A couple points of clarification:

1. In regards to Batman Captions, the wording is a bit unclear, so I will interpret it like so:

-Batman Captions will activate for every attack you make against a player. If I had 30 energy, and I used to to make 3 attacks of 10 against 3 other players, Batman Captions would activate 3 times, one for each player.

I will also rule that Batman Captions is a passive ability, as it's activation is automatic.

Also, to clear things up regarding Peanut, Peanut the Hungry Mutant Rabbit will attack the player who spends the least energy and the most energy trying to distract her.

Submission deadline is 9pm EST June 13th.
Thurhame
Thurhame
Goon
Thurhame
Goon
Goon

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:28 am

Post by Thurhame »

• How strong are Peanut's attacks?
  • What happens if two players tie for least energy or most energy?
  • Can we attack Peanut?
Caycedo
Caycedo
Goon
Caycedo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:01 am

Post by Caycedo »

In post 54, Thurhame wrote:
  • How strong are Peanut's attacks?
  • What happens if two players tie for least energy or most energy?
  • Can we attack Peanut?
1. You'll find out :wink:
2. both will split the damage
3. Yes
Save The Dragons
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary
Protection unnecessary

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:15 am

Can we
kill
Peanut?

That would be very unkind, wouldn't it? :(
Thurhame
Thurhame
Goon
Thurhame
Goon
Goon

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:34 am

Post by Thurhame »

In post 55, Caycedo wrote:
I joined this game because all the mechanics were open at the start, letting us focus on strategy and diplomacy. If you're going to bastard mod hide things from us, then go ahead and replace me.
Blackberry
Blackberry
berry
Blackberry
berry
berry

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:54 am

Post by Blackberry »

In post 53, Caycedo wrote:

1. In regards to Batman Captions, the wording is a bit unclear, so I will interpret it like so:

-Batman Captions will activate for every attack you make against a player. If I had 30 energy, and I used to to make 3 attacks of 10 against 3 other players, Batman Captions would activate 3 times, one for each player.

I will also rule that Batman Captions is a passive ability, as it's activation is automatic.

Also, to clear things up regarding Peanut, Peanut the Hungry Mutant Rabbit will attack the player who spends the least energy and the most energy trying to distract her.

I would like to contest this. Although the wording is iffy, it does say *Damage*, not Attack. So you'd have to go by number of sets of Damage. Also - your wording suggests he can only use Batman Captions on players he attacks, which is not at all what the power describes.

Also, if Batman Captions is passive, then I assume Fickle Shield is as well given the reasonings why you stated Batman Captions was passive. Although to be honest (even though it would disadvantage me), I think anything that the player has a choice in is technically something we choose to activate, as it is not automatic if we have to do something/choose for it take effect.

On a side note, I don't quite understand why the original power of Boycott was changed to only affect certain powers. I don't think there should have been a distinction of "activated" vs "passive" - but that's just my personal opinion. :P
Dessew
Dessew
Mafia Scum
Dessew
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:58 am

Post by Dessew »

@Thurhame: First of all, I completely understand you concerns, but let me point out a few things that might change your mind.

a) I am pretty sure that Peanuts attacks are strong enough that you don't want her to hit you, but not strong enough to be detrimental in the first or first two rounds (putting StD aside, now :))
b) It's just the first round we don't know
anything
(which isn't actually true, see point a)), I predict that by the end of the second turn, we'll know almost everything about her behaviour.
c) I'm not sure if it matters, but Rumble II also had a special mechanic, which was not explained, but it was simple enough to figure out (just as I expect this one to be.)
Thurhame
Thurhame
Goon
Thurhame
Goon
Goon

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:49 am

Post by Thurhame »

I don't like special mechanics; I like battles of wits against other players.

I especially don't like suprise special mechanics, and hiding information on top of that is just too much.

To put it simply, we're supposed to be fighting each other, not the mod.
Caycedo
Caycedo
Goon
Caycedo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:40 pm

Post by Caycedo »

In post 57, Thurhame wrote:
In post 55, Caycedo wrote:
I joined this game because all the mechanics were open at the start, letting us focus on strategy and diplomacy. If you're going to bastard mod hide things from us, then go ahead and replace me.
In post 60, Thurhame wrote:I don't like special mechanics; I like battles of wits against other players.

I especially don't like suprise special mechanics, and hiding information on top of that is just too much.

To put it simply, we're supposed to be fighting each other, not the mod.

Dear Thurhame,

I am truly sorry that you feel you were misled in terms of your understanding of the basic premise of the game. However, I would urge you to refer back to the previous two iterations of Rumble hosted on MS. In both games, the mod introduced surprise elements (In the first players were tasked to defuse a bomb, and in the second they had to fight a number of smaller NPCs). In this light, you can see that there is clearly precedent for unexpected challenges to be posed to the players. Moreover, if we consider other instances of the Game-As-Spectacle that exist in larger pop-culture (think Survivor, Big Brother etc.) it is (ironically) common place for players to have to think on their feet, revising their strategies in light of unexpected occurrences. In this light, I hope that you can see that in considering the plotting of this particular game, I did not think that introducing an unexpected element would upset anyone to the extent that it appears that you have been upset. With this in mind, however, I do feel that it is important to consider that a significant part of any situation (real or imagined) which requires strategic critical thinking is the ability to deal with unexpected events.

Before everything else, I am trying to facilitate a
fun
experience. If you insist on being replaced, I will of course honor your request. However, I would ask you to be considerate of your fellow players, and indeed the game itself, having been delayed by the technical difficulties of both myself and the site. If it is any consolation, you should understand that the objectionable element, AKA Peanut the Rabbit, is not my attempt to play in my own game. Rather, it is a mechanism whose energy allocations are entirely determined by the actions of the players. I chose to use this element in the game because I thought it might introduce a different level of strategic decision making: An important part of Rumble is the Auction Phase, in which the player must critically manage her resources, attempting to anticipate the actions of the other players with major consequences. As I felt that this was a particularly interesting element of the game, I wanted to see if it was possible to introduce a bidding, and subsequently deduction-based, element in addition to the existing dynamics of diplomacy that characterize this game. I am disappointed that this has upset you, but I would encourage you to at least give it a sporting try for the sake of your fellow players.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In other news, write up is coming shortly. Thanks for your continued enthusiasm everyone!
Caycedo
Caycedo
Goon
Caycedo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:45 pm

Post by Caycedo »

In post 58, Blackberry wrote:
In post 53, Caycedo wrote:

I would like to contest this. Although the wording is iffy, it does say *Damage*, not Attack. So you'd have to go by number of sets of Damage. Also - your wording suggests he can only use Batman Captions on players he attacks, which is not at all what the power describes.

Also, if Batman Captions is passive, then I assume Fickle Shield is as well given the reasonings why you stated Batman Captions was passive. Although to be honest (even though it would disadvantage me), I think anything that the player has a choice in is technically something we choose to activate, as it is not automatic if we have to do something/choose for it take effect.

On a side note, I don't quite understand why the original power of Boycott was changed to only affect certain powers. I don't think there should have been a distinction of "activated" vs "passive" - but that's just my personal opinion. :P

In re-reading the wording of the power, your interpretation is correct. Furthermore, with this revised understanding of the power, I do feel that Batman Captions qualifies as an activated ability and will be treated as such.

An updated understanding of this power will be posted on the front-page.
Thurhame
Thurhame
Goon
Thurhame
Goon
Goon

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:05 am

Post by Thurhame »

I apologize for my unseemly outburst. I understand that you are trying your best to give us a fun experience. To honor that, and for the sake of my fellow players, I will try to put my all into the rest of this game.
Caycedo
Caycedo
Goon
Caycedo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:56 am

Post by Caycedo »

Thank you!!!! :)
Thurhame
Thurhame
Goon
Thurhame
Goon
Goon

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:36 am

Post by Thurhame »

In post 58, Blackberry wrote:I don't think there should have been a distinction of "activated" vs "passive" - but that's just my personal opinion. :P
Perhaps it's inspired by
Magic: The Gathering
's distinction between "activated," "triggered," and "continuous"? Most ability counters only affect activated abilities, and some can counter active or triggered abilities, but continuous abilities can't be countered at all (except by destroying the permanent they belong to, analagous to discarding a power here).
Burning_Earth
Burning_Earth
Mafia Scum
Burning_Earth
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:35 pm

Post by Burning_Earth »

Activated triggered and static you mtg noob :D
Thurhame
Thurhame
Goon
Thurhame
Goon
Goon

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:45 am

Post by Thurhame »

haven't played in years; not surprised some terms have changed
Blackberry
Blackberry
berry
Blackberry
berry
berry

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:35 am

Post by Blackberry »

Dear Beloved Caycedo,

I am writing to inform you that I miss you. I can't wait for you to come back to my world.

I await your return.

XOXO

The Blackberry
Thurhame
Thurhame
Goon
Thurhame
Goon
Goon

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:04 am

Post by Thurhame »

Apparently our mod disappeared from the site just over a week ago :(
Burning_Earth
Burning_Earth
Mafia Scum
Burning_Earth
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:20 pm

Post by Burning_Earth »

I'm not doin it... anyone else?
Thurhame
Thurhame
Goon
Thurhame
Goon
Goon

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:27 am

Post by Thurhame »

I guess this game is dead.
DiplomatDC
DiplomatDC
Townie
DiplomatDC
Townie
Townie

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:11 am

Post by DiplomatDC »

I offer to rehost this, although I'm not sure about the rules and whatnot to start a thread on these forums.
Blackberry
Blackberry
berry
Blackberry
berry
berry

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:30 pm

Post by Blackberry »

Would y'all like me to just take over, I will remove myself from the game, and we can begin Round 1 again (and I'll remove the bunny as well ^_^)?

DiplomatDC - there are no rules on starting a new thread ^_^.
DiplomatDC
DiplomatDC
Townie
DiplomatDC
Townie
Townie

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:07 am

Post by DiplomatDC »

Blackberry so you wanna rehost this for us?

Return to “Social Game Archive”