CuddlyCaucasian
CuddlyCaucasian
Professor of Being a Dog
CuddlyCaucasian
Professor of Being a Dog
Professor of Being a Dog

Post Post #175 (ISO) » Tue May 05, 2015 10:46 am

Post by CuddlyCaucasian »

In post 172, Narninian wrote:A big brother type game, where people can only go to 'rooms', where anybody in the room at a given time could hear what was being said (or whispers but you'd know they were whispering to each other at least). Its tricky to figure out how to do with a forum ------ but I think the key and HUGE difference between my one game here and every real reality show ever is in "real" reality shows people sneaking off to chat is frowned upon and people get targetted for it. In forum survivor it was like oppositeland and you get targetted for not sneaking off enough (at least early)

This idea is exactly something Zito and I discussed based off my idea actually :P Basically there's just a chatroom for each room, and you can only be in one chatroom at a time, and you can only move rooms once an hour.
"CC is very [whatever the equivalent of photogenic as it applies to videos]" - racefan12

"CC is an objectively attractive person." - Crazy

"You look like a happy version of Trent Reznor." - LicketyQuickety

"Do you practice sounding like you're high all the time?" - xofelf
Snakes
Snakes
I Will Survive
Snakes
I Will Survive
I Will Survive

Post Post #176 (ISO) » Tue May 05, 2015 12:35 pm

Post by Snakes »

In post 171, xRECKONERx wrote:
In post 126, Espeonage wrote:Marq is my hero. Reck is too good for me.

wha???

Also am I just not understanding what a 'pagong' actually is? Because everyone was crying about a pagong backstage but like... that was 100% not the case. I assumed 'pagong' just meant grouping up along tribal lines and systematically eliminating everyone outside the tribal alliance. While the F4 were all Brode Island, I don't think it was due to a pagong mentality, and was more that the four of us made individual plays that just so happened to work out.

I think the hardest part of this game for me is that... everyone is allied. Everyone. Fucking everybody is allied with fucking everybody. I don't get it. How did Star/Dave know that the F2 deal they made was going to be honored anymore than the five million other alliances/deals? I can never tell. Hell, I thought mine/Star's F2 was strong as fuck then he voted me off, so clearly I know nothing.

I can't speak for what the mentality was like after the merge, but in my experience, the premerge felt like a pagong and was incredibly frustrating. Each round everyone wanted to target a Brohio. Me and the others from that tribe would try and fight it and most of the time, it felt like everybody just wanted Tribal Council to be over and nobody actually wanted to discuss other options.

A game where people go to different rooms to talk would be really cool and would probably do a good job giving a handicap to the alliance leader, but I also feel like it would be a lot harder for someone from a different timezone to do well.
Fluminator
Fluminator
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Fluminator
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #177 (ISO) » Tue May 05, 2015 1:10 pm

Post by Fluminator »

@Snakes. We really should have saved Shakira in hindsight. We had the power to.
D3f3nd3r
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
Best Social Game
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #178 (ISO) » Tue May 05, 2015 2:23 pm

Post by D3f3nd3r »

We tried to, but the idea came to French, Tommy, and I less than an hour before the deadline. I don't think anybody else (save Mist, who I told) knew about it until after the fact.
Mist7676
Mist7676
Mafia Scum
Mist7676
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #179 (ISO) » Tue May 05, 2015 3:38 pm

Post by Mist7676 »

I've actually played a game where moving rooms was a thing, and man it was crazy. I'd join a room and walk in on people talking, and they'd immediately move somewhere else. And you'd tell someone, "Hey let's go hear to talk!" then everyone would follow. It was really hard to work but a good idea nonetheless.

In post 150, Narninian wrote:I feel like "mentors" or a "strategy guide" for new players is defeating the purpose and frankly a bit insulting and patronizing. It would be enforcing a specific meta, which I don't think needs any assistance in enforcing and speaking as a new player is not something that would make it more fun for me.
I could see a bb14 like twist which would he similar working though

I was more thinking a tutorial on how to use the forum? Nothing that says, "Make at least 3 alliances, or pick one of this lines and send it to someone." Just, "Here's the PM button, here's how to make a message, and here's how to reply to a message. Over here is your confessional, after the game everyone can read it. etc," I also don't think it would be patronizing because newbies are constantly complaining about how they didn't understand the game when they first joined and it horribly screwed them over. I sure as hell would have loved a tutorial when I started playing. I didn't understand anything that was going on until I got to merge and I started getting the hang of things.
You Are Worth It
Snakes
Snakes
I Will Survive
Snakes
I Will Survive
I Will Survive

Post Post #180 (ISO) » Tue May 05, 2015 4:11 pm

Post by Snakes »

In post 177, Fluminator wrote:@Snakes. We really should have saved Shakira in hindsight. We had the power to.

Yeah, we definitely should have. I literally had to leave for my class right as the idea came up though (which lasted past the deadline), and I didn't know if the votes would be there or if Shakira was even going to log on.

For your earlier message, you hinted at an alliance, I asked you for one and then it seemed like nothing changed in our conversations, so I thought you forgot about it lol. As soon as we got to Brodoku though, you were my #1 :]
Marquis
Marquis
Survivor
Marquis
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #181 (ISO) » Tue May 05, 2015 4:17 pm

Post by Marquis »

yeah your 2 votes would have made http a majority :[
link in bio
Espeonage
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: any

Post Post #182 (ISO) » Tue May 05, 2015 9:19 pm

Post by Espeonage »

In post 156, PrivateI wrote:So, speaking of mentors and the like.

Has anyone considered a Big Brother game. Like 12P, only players with <2 games are permitted, and four "veterans" handpicked as coaches who are assigned players, and win with their player if they win.

#latenightideas

Fair sure Skrew and I are both still newbies but we have more than four games.
Don't @ me.
Drench
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
crucial waukesha voter

Post Post #183 (ISO) » Tue May 05, 2015 10:33 pm

Post by Drench »

In post 174, xofelf wrote:Spoiler though? I would have taken Doge. So I was true to it when it it got me to the end, but I've always wanted to win this so I would have taken Doge to raise my chances a bit.

no shit tbh, like the one thing i did which in hindsight was very much not optimal was decide to take you as soon as doge claimed he was taking me post-challenge which, lmao, come on @ all do u expect me to believe that

anyway i have Things To Say about the whole newbie thing but i need to chew on it
join your union
Drench
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
crucial waukesha voter

Post Post #184 (ISO) » Tue May 05, 2015 10:37 pm

Post by Drench »

OH WAIT no spoiler it will involve the phrases "waiting for game talk is dumb af", "the shitty equivalent of mafia's RVS stage", and "survivor would be a lot different w/ a different voting system"

which aren't really related but u know me
join your union
xofelf
xofelf
they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)
Miss Mash
xofelf
they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)
Miss Mash
Miss Mash
Pronoun: they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)

Post Post #185 (ISO) » Tue May 05, 2015 10:41 pm

Post by xofelf »

Ilysm Drenchiepoo~
Xalxe: this is xofelf sometimes we call each other names and other times we share emotions
MattyP: Ur an enigma tho when it comes to circadian rhythm and the traditions we hold dear when it comes to the sun and the moon
Get to reknow a xofelf here
Discord is faster than PMs or sitechat: xofelf#1697
Narninian
Narninian
Contracts STDs
Narninian
Contracts STDs
Contracts STDs

Post Post #186 (ISO) » Wed May 06, 2015 4:24 am

Post by Narninian »

In post 179, Mist7676 wrote:I've actually played a game where moving rooms was a thing, and man it was crazy. I'd join a room and walk in on people talking, and they'd immediately move somewhere else. And you'd tell someone, "Hey let's go hear to talk!" then everyone would follow. It was really hard to work but a good idea nonetheless.

Yeah, it theory I like the idea, but after giving it some thought, it would really make the game super time sensitive, and depending on your time zone would require people to log on way more often. The way it is now you may want to be there frequently to send private messages, but there isn't a set time where you "have" to be on (except for some live challenges maybe, and being on shortly before a tribal vote helps). This way may take more time than people have, as theoritically you'd have to log on frequently to make sure you're in the room with the people you want to be in the room with - especially if you can't be on at the same time.

In post 150, Narninian wrote:I feel like "mentors" or a "strategy guide" for new players is defeating the purpose and frankly a bit insulting and patronizing. It would be enforcing a specific meta, which I don't think needs any assistance in enforcing and speaking as a new player is not something that would make it more fun for me.
I could see a bb14 like twist which would he similar working though

I was more thinking a tutorial on how to use the forum? Nothing that says, "Make at least 3 alliances, or pick one of this lines and send it to someone." Just, "Here's the PM button, here's how to make a message, and here's how to reply to a message. Over here is your confessional, after the game everyone can read it. etc," I also don't think it would be patronizing because newbies are constantly complaining about how they didn't understand the game when they first joined and it horribly screwed them over. I sure as hell would have loved a tutorial when I started playing. I didn't understand anything that was going on until I got to merge and I started getting the hang of things.

ahh -- this would be helpful, although it wouldn't have helped me. I knew how to use the forum.
The way other people were talking it was going to be things like "You need to send a large number of private messages early or your likely by the first boot, etc... and other tips" this, while true, would only make it more true and discourage any sort of variation in the game.
The extra in is for /in
Cephrir
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #187 (ISO) » Wed May 06, 2015 4:28 am

Post by Cephrir »

It's certainly not as though a very brief version of such a thing already exists or anything!
"I would prefer not to." --Herman Melville,
Bartleby the Scrivener
Narninian
Narninian
Contracts STDs
Narninian
Contracts STDs
Contracts STDs

Post Post #188 (ISO) » Wed May 06, 2015 4:30 am

Post by Narninian »

The extra in is for /in
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #189 (ISO) » Wed May 06, 2015 4:47 am

Post by PrivateI »

In post 182, Espeonage wrote:
In post 156, PrivateI wrote:So, speaking of mentors and the like.

Has anyone considered a Big Brother game. Like 12P, only players with <2 games are permitted, and four "veterans" handpicked as coaches who are assigned players, and win with their player if they win.

#latenightideas

Fair sure Skrew and I are both still newbies but we have more than four games.

I'm not disagreeing. I still consider myself a newbie, for sure, but it's hard to "define" what a newbie is. I hesitate to define it by previous placing, because new players have done quite well in the past. I also hesitate to define it by number of games played, for reasons you've already illustrated.

Narninian wrote:The way other people were talking it was going to be things like "You need to send a large number of private messages early or your likely by the first boot, etc... and other tips" this, while true, would only make it more true and discourage any sort of variation in the game.

I have to disagree here. I don't know that there IS a problem with the meta. I don't know what kind of variation you want, but any kind of artificial limit to private messages simply adds ANOTHER differentiation between these games and the shows they are based on. For example, the instant Survivors step onto the beach in the show, could they make a Final Two alliance? Of course. But often, almost always, alliances are based on who LIKES one another. There's no other way to get actual first impressions in this online format than to simply talk. It is necessary, then, to develop some level of rapport with an individual (and rightfully so) before trust can be "gained".
Narninian
Narninian
Contracts STDs
Narninian
Contracts STDs
Contracts STDs

Post Post #190 (ISO) » Wed May 06, 2015 4:51 am

Post by Narninian »

Jaquan was eliminated for sending too many private messages to Rodney.
The extra in is for /in
Drench
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
crucial waukesha voter

Post Post #191 (ISO) » Wed May 06, 2015 5:03 am

Post by Drench »

i mean you absolutely have to admit shit is way diff in non-anon games
join your union
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #192 (ISO) » Wed May 06, 2015 5:18 am

Post by PrivateI »

In post 191, Drench wrote:i mean you absolutely have to admit shit is way diff in non-anon games

Is the meta in non-anon games what we're going for? xD.

I still, as I said, consider myself a newbie on this site, but from what I understand, anonymous games were developed as a direct response to some serious flaws in the non-anon format. One thing you have going in is a level of rapport with certain players. In effect, the "non-game" talk which is so despised has ALREADY HAPPENED between certain players who will likely align. Nothing changes about the inherent necessity to somehow expose oneself, be somewhat vulnerable, at the very least, about what one enjoys, doesn't like, etc. before some level of trust can be gained. It simply moves this "non-game" talk to the pregame, and favors those players who already have built that connection.

I'm not saying that non-anon games are a bad idea, especially in limited quantities, but they certainly aren't answers, by any means.
Drench
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
crucial waukesha voter

Post Post #193 (ISO) » Wed May 06, 2015 5:25 am

Post by Drench »

i mean nah nothing's really an answer
its just that things work diff, and like, idk

the problem isnt that the social games happening are social
the problem is that the social games tend to be biased towards a certain player subset and surprise! it's the guys where the non-game talk has already happened to an extent

like, eg, reck's thing. he id'd me right away. me/him happened b/c of it like that's what happened
join your union
Narninian
Narninian
Contracts STDs
Narninian
Contracts STDs
Contracts STDs

Post Post #194 (ISO) » Wed May 06, 2015 5:28 am

Post by Narninian »

ok, I feel like I made this thread go off rails again and didn't mean to.

The win was well desrved and y'all played awesome games GJ.
The extra in is for /in
Cephrir
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #195 (ISO) » Wed May 06, 2015 5:30 am

Post by Cephrir »

There isn't much that can be done about people finding each other, but I think the preset pairs are not as much of a problem as they could be. There aren't that many groups that are definitely going to ally no matter what every time. Granted I wish they didn't exist at all (despite my complicity to some degree), but.
"I would prefer not to." --Herman Melville,
Bartleby the Scrivener
Flameaxe
Flameaxe
Comma Police
Flameaxe
Comma Police
Comma Police

Post Post #196 (ISO) » Wed May 06, 2015 5:36 am

Post by Flameaxe »

Davos x Stannis #1 guaranteed ally pair

I ain't afraid to admit it
Defined by who I dislike, not who I like~
Mist7676
Mist7676
Mafia Scum
Mist7676
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #197 (ISO) » Wed May 06, 2015 10:32 am

Post by Mist7676 »

In post 196, Flameaxe wrote:Davos x Stannis #1 guaranteed ally pair

I ain't afraid to admit it

fuq u both i swear
You Are Worth It
Flameaxe
Flameaxe
Comma Police
Flameaxe
Comma Police
Comma Police

Post Post #198 (ISO) » Wed May 06, 2015 11:10 am

Post by Flameaxe »

I apologize (OK I don't remember who you were in that game though)
Flameaxe
Flameaxe
Comma Police
Flameaxe
Comma Police
Comma Police

Post Post #199 (ISO) » Wed May 06, 2015 11:10 am

Post by Flameaxe »

Nvm just remembered

<3