Behind the Masks: Bolt from the Blue (GAME OVER!)

pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #375 (ISO) » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:23 am

Post by pablito »

/deny
Sup, later.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #376 (ISO) » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:24 am

Post by pablito »

Thanks for being a great ally. Congrats to both of us
Sup, later.
Maxspir_7
Maxspir_7
Townie
Maxspir_7
Townie
Townie

Post Post #377 (ISO) » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:34 am

Post by Maxspir_7 »

Indeed. Thanks to you too. :D
Cybele
Cybele
Goon
Cybele
Goon
Goon

Post Post #378 (ISO) » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:24 am

Post by Cybele »

Agh. I thought I had it. I took the shot because I knew it was my only chance, so no regrets.
CuddlyCaucasian
CuddlyCaucasian
Professor of Being a Dog
CuddlyCaucasian
Professor of Being a Dog
Professor of Being a Dog

Post Post #379 (ISO) » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:43 am

Post by CuddlyCaucasian »

Due to there being only one challenge, the loser of the dance will be the only eligible voting target for the Voting Phase, and will lose.

The Giraffe and the Blue Dragon lock eyes for one last time. In a blur of color, the two dance quickly in a masterful battle of finesse. But eventually one blow is finally landed, and blood begins to spew from a neck. The Blue Dragon takes off his mask, and the Giraffe gasps at the sight of his identity with his one final breath, before his own mask shatters to the floor.

The Blue Dragon is the winner of Behind the Masks!

Everyone's identities are shown below. Congratulations to Maxspir_7 on a very much deserved win.

WINNER: The Blue Dragon (Maxspir_7)-
Blackmailer

2nd Place: The Giraffe (pablito)-
Peasant

3rd Place: The Mouse (Cybele)-
Monk

4th Place: The Dog (Jeanne11)-
Magician

5th Place: The Red Dragon (vonflare)-
Poisoner

6th Place: The Spider (JDGA)-
Blacksmith

7th Place: The Hornet (Lokalexabender)-
Soldier

8th Place: The Kangaroo (THEYARSK_2017)-
Barbarian

9th Place: The Chicken (Cheery Dog)-
Student

10th Place: The Wolf (lilith2013)-
Actor

11th Place: The White Cat (Tatsuya Kaname)-
Thief

12th Place: The Swordfish (Felissan)-
Musician

13th Place: The Cat (ForWhomTheJellyRolls)-
Royal

14th Place: The Fox (ika)-
Man-At-Arms
"CC is very [whatever the equivalent of photogenic as it applies to videos]" - racefan12

"CC is an objectively attractive person." - Crazy

"You look like a happy version of Trent Reznor." - LicketyQuickety

"Do you practice sounding like you're high all the time?" - xofelf
Felissan
Felissan
Goon
Felissan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #380 (ISO) » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:03 am

Post by Felissan »

So, all of my reads were based on a round 2 duel that I thought the Blacksmith had no point faking. Good to know.
My main gripe with the game is how some roles are (from what I understand) by far harder to play well than others: for instance, the Monk must be extremely tough not to give away, and the result-switching roles involve some non-straightforward decisions that could very well have no influence on the game; on the other hand, some roles such as the Peasant, the Soldier or the Magician seem to be much easier. I'm sure I would have had a lot of fun with this game had I lived longer!
/pre-in to next game.
"Dammit Felissan, making someone lose the game is NOT NICE"
- DeathRowKitty 2016
"Also, the me in your signature just made the me in this thread lose the game and I'm not sure how to feel about this."
- DeathRowKitty 2018
"You've made me make myself lose the game so many times that I feel like it's an entirely new game I'm losing"
- DeathRowKitty 2022
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #381 (ISO) » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:23 am

Post by vonflare »

fifth place wooooohoooooo
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #382 (ISO) » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:49 am

Post by Lokiben »

Congratulations to the Blue Dragon, and everyone else for making this a successful game of Behind the Masks. Whether it is hosted by me, or Cuddly, or someone else, there will likely be another game beginning sometime soon.

Highlights:

The final five roles are all grouped in the center of both lists, making all of the challenges very tight, with the exception of the antithesis of this relationship, the Monk.

A very unfortunate mod error knocks the Man-At-Arms out early, and robs everyone of some beautifully grisly death flavor. The Mouse, being the planned target of the Fox, is the most direct beneficiary of the mod error, and goes on to survive until the final three.

The Thief never switched any plates. The Musician never changed any results.

The Blue Dragon and Giraffe strike up an early alliance through PMs. Then, both of them ally themselves with other players without telling the other (Blue Dragon with the Wolf, and Giraffe with the Kangaroo). Then, both of their alternative allies die, and they return to working together, making it to the final two.

The Blue Dragon accepts the dance from the Giraffe, then immediately regrets it. Ironically, he wins the game on that dance.

Holy shit,
five
correct guesses. I'm not even sure that I've ever seen two.

Felissan
Felissan
Goon
Felissan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #383 (ISO) » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:56 am

Post by Felissan »

Now that I think of it, how did the Giraffe get wounded in a dance for the final challenge flavor?
- DeathRowKitty 2016
"Also, the me in your signature just made the me in this thread lose the game and I'm not sure how to feel about this."
- DeathRowKitty 2018
"You've made me make myself lose the game so many times that I feel like it's an entirely new game I'm losing"
- DeathRowKitty 2022
CuddlyCaucasian
CuddlyCaucasian
Professor of Being a Dog
CuddlyCaucasian
Professor of Being a Dog
Professor of Being a Dog

Post Post #384 (ISO) » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:11 pm

Dancing is dangerous stuff, man!
"CC is very [whatever the equivalent of photogenic as it applies to videos]" - racefan12

JDGA
JDGA
Goon
JDGA
Goon
Goon

Post Post #385 (ISO) » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:38 pm

Post by JDGA »

In post 380, Felissan wrote:So, all of my reads were based on a round 2 duel that I thought the Blacksmith had no point faking. Good to know.
My main gripe with the game is how some roles are (from what I understand) by far harder to play well than others: for instance, the Monk must be extremely tough not to give away, and the result-switching roles involve some non-straightforward decisions that could very well have no influence on the game; on the other hand, some roles such as the Peasant, the Soldier or the Magician seem to be much easier. I'm sure I would have had a lot of fun with this game had I lived longer!
/pre-in to next game.

Huh? I didn't fake anything round 2 ^^;
Fickle, cold and harsh or caring and warm
Strongly opinionated or barely invested, but a constant
You know the wind will always come back.
Jill-Of-All-Trades
Jill-Of-All-Trades
Watcher
Jill-Of-All-Trades
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #386 (ISO) » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:33 pm

Post by Jill-Of-All-Trades »

In post 382, Lokiben wrote:

Holy shit,
five
correct guesses. I'm not even sure that I've ever seen two.

You've seen at least three, Mantis. :3
But you do have a good point- holy cow, can you guys guess. Must be the Mafia craze here giving you an edge.
Anyway, was good fun watching this from the sidelines for once, instead of playing on the forums. Still wish the MAA and Actor weren't taken out so quickly, but c'est la vie.

GG to the winner, Blue Dragon!
(But to be fair, honestly surprised you didn't mention that Monk has gotten the farthest in just about ever, Loki.)
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #387 (ISO) » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:04 pm

Post by Lokiben »

Most I've seen in one game, I should have said. Glad to have a fan! Also sad that the Actor went out early, it was my brain child, and I was hoping to see it do well. Good point about the Monk. That role has been cursed for a while.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #388 (ISO) » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:27 pm

Post by pablito »

Peasant was the one role I didn't want when I signed up, but then as the game went on, it was clear it was to my advantage. In round 3, I had blue dragon down to either blacksmith, blackmailer, or poisoner. Considering that the blacksmith interfered with 2 of my duels - one to my advantage - especially after I became a huge target in the vote (due to swordfish)...I banked on blue dragon being blacksmith and none of the challenges made me think otherwise. What clinched it for me was max saying in a PM to me "I feel confident I'd beat mouse in a duel" and then he lost in that round. I thought he was the blacksmith holding off on keeping the last switch for the end, especially when he realized that the dog was going to be in the vote too...

I was pleased with the game and surprised I made it that far...even after being almost voted out every single round and also being a poisoned target as well...
Sup, later.
Cybele
Cybele
Goon
Cybele
Goon
Goon

Post Post #389 (ISO) » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:24 pm

Post by Cybele »

In post 387, Lokiben wrote:
Good point about the Monk. That role has been cursed for a while.
All it took was a little mod intervention, apparently. I should thank my stars!
CuddlyCaucasian
CuddlyCaucasian
Professor of Being a Dog
CuddlyCaucasian
Professor of Being a Dog
Professor of Being a Dog

Post Post #390 (ISO) » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:24 pm

I was rooting for you guys' alliance of two, and it was funny how Blue Dragon basically never really had to use blackmailing to his advantage.

Something that I was hoping would happen to shake things up was the Dog revealing she was the Magician during the voting phase where she got out, to try and convince the Mouse to keep her with promise to kill one of the other two. But alas. :(

Cybele
Cybele
Goon
Cybele
Goon
Goon

Post Post #391 (ISO) » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:26 pm

Post by Cybele »

I would have done it, too! Aww. :(
JDGA
JDGA
Goon
JDGA
Goon
Goon

Post Post #392 (ISO) » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:09 pm

Post by JDGA »

Of course, that would have near immediately invited a guess-at-stake-of-life.
I predicted my poisoning, and had I been thinking I would have blackmailed the Hornet with his identity to force him to switch with me (knowing that he wouldn't die). Not that it would have stopped me from guessing him immediately regardless.
Fickle, cold and harsh or caring and warm
Strongly opinionated or barely invested, but a constant
You know the wind will always come back.
ika
ika
Survivor
ika
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #393 (ISO) » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:15 pm

Post by ika »

ya i actually had a chart i was working on to find the soilder and eliminate him. i would of then continued with my guess immunity to slowly know out ppl and work in a close alliance

im in for another
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
Goon
ForWhomTheJellyRolls
Goon
Goon

Post Post #394 (ISO) » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:17 pm

Post by ForWhomTheJellyRolls »

I would love to play (again).
"A hidden truth supports everything. Find it, and win." - Ramayana
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted."

Do you have the need for Mafia de Cuba?
Felissan
Felissan
Goon
Felissan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #395 (ISO) » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:40 am

Post by Felissan »

The one play I definitely regret not doing was to promise I would guess the Thief if I survived the Round 2 vote, because I already knew him. In fact, my fake info on the Giraffe was kinda crumbing it, and the Wolf picked it up!
Also, the rules section needs to be a bit more accurate about the rules for guessing, I originally thought one could guess AtSoTL as many times as they wanted to in a Dinner phase.
- DeathRowKitty 2016
- DeathRowKitty 2018
- DeathRowKitty 2022
Cybele
Cybele
Goon
Cybele
Goon
Goon

Post Post #396 (ISO) » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:35 am

Post by Cybele »

You can only bet your life once at a time because that is a debt you can only pay once.
Maxspir_7
Maxspir_7
Townie
Maxspir_7
Townie
Townie

Post Post #397 (ISO) » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:36 am

Post by Maxspir_7 »

Can't believe I won that. I tried to stay as ambiguous about my role as possible, especially towards the end of the game, keeping it somewhere in the middle.

I was convinced that the Giraffe was the royal or the musician for the longest time, even up until the final challenge phase. I accepted his challenge without really thinking about it, and I
did
immediately regret it. I went so far as to edit that post to say /deny, but the challenge had already been fixed by that point. But as I was scrolling through the feed trying to figure some way out of this, I started considering whether or not his win against the White Cat could have been switched. A lot more things made sense if that had happened, and it narrowed down the Giraffe's role to Peasant or magician, and between him thinking the Chicken was the magician and him not having already magically killed me, I was sure he was the peasant. So I got pretty lucky towards the end.

Apparently, between BtM games in this forum and the Town of Salem forums, the blackmailer has won 2 out of 6 times. That came as a surprise to me considering how underpowered it is (compared to what it could be).

A suggestion to the host of the next game: adjust the blackmailer's ability so that whoever is blackmailed has to have their challenge
accepted
in order to avoid death. It makes much more sense to me that way. Otherwise, their lack of participation in a challenge due to them being denied has no consequences (I was also banking on this to win in the final two until I found out it wasn't possible).

Good game overall, guys!
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #398 (ISO) » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:55 am

Post by Cheery Dog »

I almost killed myself on the blackmail before I was executed. I never got far enough up the lists :(
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #399 (ISO) » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:14 pm

Post by Lokiben »

I'm sorry, but I haven't been keeping track of the pre-ins. ><

You all need to pick animal masks, anyway.

Starting now, I'll actually keep track of pre-ins, so if you did it before, please do it again.

Return to “Social Game Archive”