vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Behind the masks - cancelled

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:24 am

Post by vonflare »

I made a couple of balance changes, but it is otherwise unmodified from the most recent iteration.

Spoiler: RULES
Basics

-The last player standing is the victor.
-A player’s role is not revealed when they die (of course, if their role was guessed you will know it).
-Players may PM other players during the game as long as the moderator is included. They may not PM during the voting phase.
-Dead players cannot post.
-Actions, gifts, and guesses are sent to the moderator.

Phases

-The game itself has four phases.
-Discussion is permitted and encouraged throughout all phases.

Challenge Phase

-The Challenge Phase lasts 72 hours, or until all players have challenged or nochallenged and all pending challenges are resolved.
-The game begins on this phase.
-Players may “challenge” other players to
dances
or
duels
-Once issued, the challenged player must choose whether to “accept” the challenge or use a “deny” (all players begin the game with a deny).
-If the challenged player does not respond by the end of the Challenge Phase, the challenge is automatically accepted.
-If a player does not wish to challenge, they may instead “nochallenge”. This allows the phase to end earlier. Players must still choose whether to accept or deny challenges.
-The results of the challenges will be posted at the end of the Action Phase (see Action Phase).
-The victors of duels and dances are determined by which player’s roles are higher on the respective list (see below), plus any interfering abilities.
-Each player may only challenge once per Challenge Phase (even if the challenge is denied), but can be challenged multiple times.

Duel

Barbarian
Soldier
Blacksmith
Murderer
Wizard
Blackmailer
Poisoner
Peasant
Judge
Royal
Student
Professor
Thief
Musician

Dance

Thief
Musician
Royal
Blackmailer
Professor
Judge
Peasant
Wizard
Poisoner
Soldier
Student
Barbarian
Murderer
Blacksmith

Action Phase

-The Action Phase lasts 24 hours, or until all actions have been received.
-Roles with abilities that are used during the Action Phase can PM the moderator to use them.
-Players may begin selecting gifts (see Voting Phase).
-The results for duels and dances will be posted at the end of the Action Phase.

Voting Phase

-The Voting Phase lasts 48 hours, or until all players have voted.
-The Voting Phase will still occur during the first round, but no players will be voted and no execution will occur.
-Any player who lost a duel or dance during the past Challenge Phase is a valid vote target.
-The player with the most votes at the end of the phase will be executed.
-If there is a tie, there is a revote, with only the tied players as valid vote targets. If the votes are still tied, no player is executed.
-Players may also select gifts during this phase (see below).
-For each challenge participated in (no matter if won or lost) the player earns one gift. Gifts are revealed at the end of the Voting Phase.

Gifts

Extra Deny- Grants an extra deny to deny a challenge. Each player starts with one deny.
Extra Switch- Grants an extra plate switch to swap plates. Each player starts with one switch.
Free Guess- During the upcoming Dinner Phase, you may make a guess as to a player’s role. If you are correct, they will be executed. You may only select one of this gift at a time.
Guess Immunity- You are not a valid guess target during the next Dinner Phase.
Premium Food- The food you are served cannot be poisoned. Remember it can be switched!

Dinner Phase

-The Dinner Phase ends after 24 hours, or after all players have switched or noswitched.
-Each player is given a plate of food.
-You may “switch” your food with any of the other players, consuming a plate switch (each player begins with one plate switch).
-At the end of the phase, each player eats the food in front of them.
-Players who eat poisoned food will die.
-In addition, if you received a free guess as a gift, you must use it during the Dinner Phase. If you are correct, that player will be executed at the end of the Dinner Phase. All attempted guesses are revealed at the end of the Dinner Phase.
-If you do not have a free guess, you may still make a guess as to another player’s role as normal. However, if you are incorrect, you will be executed. This is called
Guessing at the Stake of your Life
. You may only Guess at the Stake of your Life once per Dinner Phase, and only if you have not submitted a Free Guess.

Spoiler: CHALLENGE CHARTS
Duel

Barbarian
Soldier
Blacksmith
Murderer
Wizard
Blackmailer
Poisoner
Peasant
Judge
Royal
Student
Professor
Thief
Musician

Dance

Thief
Musician
Royal
Blackmailer
Professor
Judge
Peasant
Wizard
Poisoner
Soldier
Student
Barbarian
Murderer
Blacksmith

Spoiler: ROLES
Barbarian

You are a Barbarian!
You are truly a fearsome personage. Three times per game, during the Dinner Phase, you may intimidate one player, preventing them from challenging, and forcing them to accept all offers for challenges. PM the Moderator to use this power.
If you intimidate a player, the intimidated player will be announced at the beginning of the Challenge Phase.

Blackmailer

You are a Blackmailer!
You've got dirt on everyone. During the Dinner Phase, you may blackmail one player. PM the Moderator to use this power.
Blackmailed players must participate in a challenge during the Challenge Phase, or will die. Only the blackmailed player will know that they are blackmailed.

Blacksmith

You are a Blacksmith!
Truly a master of your craft, One of your weapons in hand guarantees victory.
At the beginning of the Action Phase, you will be notified of the intended winner(s) of the accepted duel(s).
Five times per game, during the Action Phase, you may change the winner of a duel. PM the Moderator to use this power. You may use this ability once on yourself. If a Judge cancels a challenge that you have meddled with, you retain your switch.

Judge

You are the Judge!
You can use your commanding voice and experience in lawmaking to end a challenge before it has even begun.
three times per game during the Action Phase you may cancel a challenge. The results of the challenge would not be revealed, and the participants do not earn gifts. If the Musician or Blacksmith meddles with a challenge that you cancel, they will retain their switch.

Murderer

You are a Murderer!
Once per Voting Phase, you may shoot one person. They will not survive the shot unless they are the Soldier. If you shoot the Soldier, the Soldier will kill you instead and you will be revealed as the Murderer.
You can only shoot losers of duels/dances.
The Shooting is silent, meaning it does not reveal your role.
Additionally, you gain a shot every time you win a duel or dance.
You cannot store more than 1 shot at a time.
You begin the game with 1 shot.

Musician

You are a Musician!
On a whim, you can manipulate the music and cause a great dancer to misstep and fail miserably.
At the beginning of the Action Phase, you will be notified of the intended winner(s) of the accepted dance(s).
Five times per game, during the Action Phase, you may change the winner of a dance. PM the Moderator to use this power. You may use this ability once on yourself. If a Judge cancels a challenge that you have meddled with, you retain your switch.

Peasant

You are a Peasant!
The world is an open book to you, as darting eyes pick out nuances in every scenario.
You will be notified when the Blacksmith meddles with a challenge, but not which challenge.
You will be notified when the Musician meddles with a challenge, but not which challenge.
You will be notified of what plates the thief switches.
You will be notified of the
original
target for the poisoner.

Poisoner

You are a Poisoner!
There is no better color than the pale blue of asphyxiation. Or perhaps a simple white pallor. Hmm, but the rich re- No matter. Your art is that of death, slipped unnoticed into a vein, on the rim of a cup, among familiar foods...

You may poison a player's food during the Voting Phase. If they eat it, they will die during the dinner phase. PM the Moderator to use this power.

Professor

You are a Professor!
You are an expert in the field of social analysis. Whether it be his posture, or or his grin, or another tell that no one but you can pick up upon, all you need to determine the past, present, and true intentions of a man is to observe him.
Whenever you guess a player's role, you may also submit a secondary guess to the moderator for the same player. If the secondary guess is correct, it will be displayed as your submitted guess, otherwise, your primary guess, whether correct or incorrect, will be displayed.

Royal

You are a Royal!
The blood running through your veins is undeniably royal. An aura of command encircles and influences those who behold you. Combined with a forceful and assertive personality, you can direct others without their knowledge.
Your vote counts as three during the Voting Phase. PM the moderators to cast your second and third votes secretly.

Soldier

You are a Soldier!
You went off to war a simple peasant boy, unsure of the world. You returned not a man, but a soldier. With guns, war is hell. With magic, war is worse. Your mind was nearly shattered, and your body forever changed.
You are immune to poison. You will know when someone has attempted to poison you.
If you are attacked by the Murderer, you will kill them instead.

Student

You are a Student!
During your college years, you could never confine yourself to a single field of study. Thankfully, a natural knack for learning led to the collection of a wide variety of skills. In the Palace, this ability will serve you well, as duelling and dancing are simply other skills.
Each time you participate in a duel or dance, you move up two slots on the corresponding list. Dead players count as being on the lists.

Thief

You are a Thief!
The perfect crime remains unknown. It is a mark of your prowess as a thief that no one had heard your name or seen your exploits. You have stolen from the richest kings, scammed the brightest scholars... Switching plates is like taking candy from a baby.
You may switch two players' plates without their knowledge, every dinner. PM the Moderator to use this power. If the Poisoner dies, you will become the new poisoner. You will inherit the Poisoner's abilities and positions on the Duel and Dance lists, and you will only be guessable as the Poisoner.

Wizard

You are a Wizard!
Why must the magical elite linger among the unpowered civilians? No matter. Your victory is near certain, as you are obvious the the most cunning and clever person here. The others are just lucky you haven't decided to obliterate them yet.
Once per game, you may choose a player to magically kill. PM the Moderator to use this power.
When you use your power, you will be revealed as the Wizard. There are no restrictions on when you may use this power, only that you cannot use it if you are one of the losers in a voting phase. Once you have been revealed as the Wizard, you have permanent guess immunity.
Last edited by vonflare on Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:52 am, edited 9 times in total.
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:25 am

Post by vonflare »

Signups:

4/14
-Felissan
-MarioManiac4
-Segaco
-Aronis
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Last edited by vonflare on Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
Felissan
Felissan
Goon
Felissan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:36 am

Post by Felissan »

Could you make an exact list of the balance changes you did? They aren't easy to spot from your rules post.
But whatever, /in as the Blobfish!
"Dammit Felissan, making someone lose the game is NOT NICE"
- DeathRowKitty 2016
"Also, the me in your signature just made the me in this thread lose the game and I'm not sure how to feel about this."
- DeathRowKitty 2018
"You've made me make myself lose the game so many times that I feel like it's an entirely new game I'm losing"
- DeathRowKitty 2022
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:41 am

Post by vonflare »

BALANCE CHANGES:

- thief only gets 1 swap per phase instead of 5 (this is mostly a buff to the poisoner)
- judge gets 3 challenge-stops not 4
- judge can't force someone to accept challenge
- royal can't force a vote
-you can't challenge twice in the first challenge phase

-you can't secretly switch with a player if you both consent by pm

so buffed poisoner, nerfed judge and royal, and removed some (imo) fluff rules.

that's it. mostly just to simplify the game a bit, dosen't have a huge impact.
Last edited by vonflare on Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
MarioManiac4
MarioManiac4
Jack of All Trades
MarioManiac4
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:43 am

Post by MarioManiac4 »

MarioManiac4 (16:32)
I'll /in assuming it never fills.
Segaco
Segaco
Townie
Segaco
Townie
Townie

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:12 am

Post by Segaco »

/in
Aronis
Aronis
Just here for the Pagetop!
Aronis

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:47 am

Post by Aronis »

/in as a womp rat
Shadoweh
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Idol Hands

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:53 am

Post by Shadoweh »

Taking the double challenge at the start away nerfs the Student, did you do anything to compensate for that?
I HATE YOU SO MUCH PLEASE GO JUMP INTO A FREEZING LAKE - Mr. Freeze
And this was like me realizing that you were a serial killer. - Hathor
"but I must declare my love to Edelgard here, i offer you the treasure I stole from Raphael, an idol LOL" - Shamir
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:22 am

Post by vonflare »

In post 7, Shadoweh wrote:Taking the double challenge at the start away nerfs the Student, did you do anything to compensate for that?

hmmm, that is true. i didnt think of that. I think I'll put it back.
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:01 am

Post by Lokiben »

In post 8, vonflare wrote:
In post 7, Shadoweh wrote:Taking the double challenge at the start away nerfs the Student, did you do anything to compensate for that?

hmmm, that is true. i didnt think of that. I think I'll put it back.

I experimented with the double challenge last game because I wanted more information floating around. It backfired hard on me though, since lots of people just challenged the same person twice, and the game quickly became oversaturated with gifts.

Actually, the Student has won more times than any other role, albeit in a modest sized sample (3/14). I don't plan to keep the double challenge around without a serious makeover and that's the approach I recommend to you.

/ego for now since I'm leaving for the airport in an hour.

I'm content with the other tweaks, but can I ask why you thought the Poisoner needed a buff? I'd call it the most powerful role in the game as is.
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:01 pm

Post by Lokiben »

EBWOP: Oh, and the most broken change I made last game wasn't even the double challenge, it was the Antidote. Terrible idea on my part since it renders plate switches completely obsolete. I recommend bringing back premium food, or doing away with poison immunity completely (How's that for a Poisoner buff? :P ).
Felissan
Felissan
Goon
Felissan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:05 pm

Post by Felissan »

Lokiben wrote:EBWOP: Oh, and the most broken change I made last game wasn't even the double challenge, it was the Antidote. Terrible idea on my part since it renders plate switches completely obsolete. I recommend bringing back premium food, or doing away with poison immunity completely (How's that for a Poisoner buff? :P ).

Doubling that. The Antidote was a "what was he thinking" moment for me when I first saw it.
"Dammit Felissan, making someone lose the game is NOT NICE"
- DeathRowKitty 2016
"Also, the me in your signature just made the me in this thread lose the game and I'm not sure how to feel about this."
- DeathRowKitty 2018
"You've made me make myself lose the game so many times that I feel like it's an entirely new game I'm losing"
- DeathRowKitty 2022
KickAssAndGiggle
KickAssAndGiggle
Mafia Scum
KickAssAndGiggle
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:50 pm

Post by KickAssAndGiggle »

/in as Honey Badger
It's OK if you disagree with me. I can't
force
you to be right...
Radja
Radja
Serial Thriller
Radja
Serial Thriller
Serial Thriller

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:01 am

Post by Radja »

sure. I might give this a shot

/in
"I think mafia is the only thing that makes me angrier than driving" - Cheetory6
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:39 pm

Post by vonflare »

In post 10, Lokiben wrote:EBWOP: Oh, and the most broken change I made last game wasn't even the double challenge, it was the Antidote. Terrible idea on my part since it renders plate switches completely obsolete. I recommend bringing back premium food

thank you for your input, I appreciate it.

I'm taking your advice and removing the double challenge, and replacing the antidote with premium food. Thanks!
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:43 pm

Post by vonflare »

insufficient interest. I guess mario was right.

sorry guys, closed.
Segaco
Segaco
Townie
Segaco
Townie
Townie

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:15 am

Post by Segaco »

rip

Return to “Social Game Archive”