Fro99er
Fro99er
Survivor
Fro99er
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:47 pm

Post by Fro99er »

In post 19, Regfan wrote:I don't think this setup compares to that one at all, town effectively had the odd/even rolecop duo there and 3 named townies which differ quite a lot from
ExActly

Isn't 3 named townies pretty townsided? If a rolecop checks any of them they are conftown. Even worse, the mafia roles were encryptor and backup encryptor. If a rolecop checks them they hit scum. There are no town encryptors

Rolestopper, roleblocker and motion detector are not named townies. A rolecop checks them and They are not town confirmed
"I officially announce Fro99er the king of guilties because this is the second time he has guiltied a slot I was really unsure about.
Heil King Froggo.
Ribbit ribbit." -Transcend
Regfan
Regfan
Jack of All Trades
Regfan
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:47 pm

Post by Regfan »

I very strongly disagree; I think looking at the role names themselves ie. "Roleblocker / Rolecop / Rolestopper" and assuming just due to those names they're more likely to be mslynched is a bad idea and the wrong way to about reviewing here, it also ignores what happens and how massclaims are handled during the game.

Mafia have a night kill and they know which town claims are truthful or not is not a logical argument to "Mafia don't have a lot of leeway in this setup", it being a normal game doesn't mean that mafia should be expected to fake claim VT at all (How you're attempting to use that argument to differentiate Normals/Themes is ???) it merely means that there's a restricted pool of roles inside the game and mafia are able to fake claim inside that pool, the problem is with this specific division of town roles mafia won't ever get away with a fake claim. Like while the setup is 'normal', this isn't going to be a typical game in that mafia in this game will outright lose if they fake claim here; not something that's always the case at all.

I'm not assuming that town won't ever mslynch a power role, that's absolutely not what I'm saying, there's every possibility that mafia get the doc considered as a 'clear' town mslynch a PR Or two and mafia just move and win the game, this isn't
unwinnable
for mafia as a setup, I just think it's stacked too heavily against them with the sheer number of power roles inside the game where all of them are 'relevant' throughout the entirety of the game.

Like just think about it for a second, if mafia ever get down to 1 member, roleblocker & motion become very strong. I think this setup could turn very snow ball-y in the towns favour with just one thing going their way early on.
Fro99er
Fro99er
Survivor
Fro99er
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:50 pm

Post by Fro99er »

This is ridiculous

My reviewers are so far apart
"I officially announce Fro99er the king of guilties because this is the second time he has guiltied a slot I was really unsure about.
Heil King Froggo.
Fro99er
Fro99er
Survivor
Fro99er
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:50 pm

Post by Fro99er »

Maybe I'll just scrap this
Heil King Froggo.
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:51 pm

Post by mhsmith0 »

In post 27, Fro99er wrote:This is ridiculous

My reviewers are so far apart
You forgot about the lurking reviewer :P
Show
http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Mhsmith0
Conq: you, sir, are great at being town.
BATMAN: Only jugg was the only one we didn’t scum read at least not me
Quick: There is little to no chance this slot is Power-Wolfing.
SR: I want to give him a day
Life is simply unfair, don't you think?
Regfan
Regfan
Jack of All Trades
Regfan
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:52 pm

Post by Regfan »

Frogger, first off I didn't review the other setup but I'd have probably commented on disliking the sheer number of "power" in the game overall, honestly I'd have been pretty annoyed about being in that game post-game there since the sheer amount of power roles in the game (7/13) is pretty ridiculous for a game. The difference here is that none of town PR's are "Named townies", all 5 of them are relevant and can be very strong while scum having nothing.

Very much would like to hear mhsmiths thoughts, also wouldn't mind running this by Faraday since I think he's got a good grip of balance on setups like this.
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:06 pm

Post by mhsmith0 »

Notes/thoughts

1. I never really worry too much about scum having little room for a fake claim, and kind of think a setup that punishes it is good. The question is if towns power is so large that scum would mechanically need to fake claim and get hosed out of it due to role cops.
2. I've seen towns mislynch stronger pr claims than any of these five. Motion detector is barely going to stop a lynch, role cops could see themselves as town/ scum analogues, ditto Roleblocker and rolestopper. Really none of the claims are so strong that they'd stop a mislynch for long, and none of the claims are really capable of finding scum. So basically you have two roles that can stop a fakeclaim (and that can essentially falsely clear the scum doc since setup spec strongly suggests the role is town if real), and two roles that have reasonable odds of stopping one kill combined but are pretty unlikely to stop two (and even if they do who knows which is responsible, especially given the scum doc)
Off the cuff I'd say it's fine balance wise, but it's swingy on the survival of the scum doc in most cases.

I'll try and look up some stats on five town pr setups, but the essential utility of town power is low enough that it strikes me as overall pretty fine at first glance.
Show
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:07 pm

Post by mhsmith0 »

Only true clearing role here is the motion detector, which is a nerfed tracker that really only helps when it's down to one scum.
Show
Regfan
Regfan
Jack of All Trades
Regfan
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:26 pm

Post by Regfan »

In post 31, mhsmith0 wrote:1. I never really worry too much about scum having little room for a fake claim, and kind of think a setup that punishes it is good. The question is if towns power is so large that scum would mechanically need to fake claim and get hosed out of it due to role cops.
I think fake claiming is something scum should always have a
chance
at doing, sure there's risks involved of them claiming a role in the game or their role they claim not fitting with something claimed in the game but in this game they have no chance at fake claiming and with no power themselves, that's...harsh. It's not just the rolecops that can catch them as fake claims ftr too, it's pretty much every role in the game.
In post 31, mhsmith0 wrote:2. I've seen towns mislynch stronger pr claims than any of these five. Motion detector is barely going to stop a lynch, role cops could see themselves as town/ scum analogues, ditto Roleblocker and rolestopper. Really none of the claims are so strong that they'd stop a mislynch for long, and none of the claims are really capable of finding scum. So basically you have two roles that can stop a fakeclaim (and that can essentially falsely clear the scum doc since setup spec strongly suggests the role is town if real), and two roles that have reasonable odds of stopping one kill combined but are pretty unlikely to stop two (and even if they do who knows which is responsible, especially given the scum doc)
Off the cuff I'd say it's fine balance wise, but it's swingy on the survival of the scum doc in most cases.

I'll try and look up some stats on five town pr setups, but the essential utility of town power is low enough that it strikes me as overall pretty fine at first glance.
Think you and Mastina are underestimating the power of these roles and just how much damage they can do if a mass-claim ever occurs in the game, like I said with a good start (scum lynch, VT dying) I see many scenarios where town may just win based on the roles alone which is problematic. I can see an argument for players being mslynched when run up and claiming PR but I can't see much of an argument for players being mslynched post mass-claim here anywhere near as easily and I'm not even expecting scum to have to get 4/5 mslynches inside the VT's, I think it's probable they get 1 inside the PR's at some point but that still requires them to get 3/5 of the VT's lynched to win, if one ever gets shot that's 3/4. Curious what stats you find where town have 5 PR's which are all useful to them in Mini Normals v Scum having questionably 1 otherwise 0. I worry you won't find anything like it though.

Ultimately if you're both pretty confident in this being ~balanced~ I'll pass it but also wipe my hands of anything that happens from it.
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:31 pm

Post by mhsmith0 »

Any massclaim scenario with a bunch of living PRs would involve scum horribly failing to kill town power at night. Site meta basically insists that scum do this successfully, because towns are REALLY stupid (and consistently so). I can do a more in depth compassion, but five low utility PRs against one scum pr that is close to a godfather given the rolecops seems friendly enough to scum for my approval. Like I said, I'll dig through some of the archives for analogues to see if my sense if off, but the setup as discussed really doesn't bother me. Town gets zero hard clears, zero hard condemns (barring fake claims), and I'd be inclined t think scum wins more than half the time w it. Again, I'll check to see if I'm wrong, but I don't especially think I am at first glance.
Show
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss
Pronoun: He

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:09 pm

Post by Nexus »

I will accept a 2 reviewer agreement with the caveat that the 1 reviewer who disagrees doesn't get included in your "agreed for balance" line.
Trans rights are human rights.
Regfan
Regfan
Jack of All Trades
Regfan
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:11 pm

Post by Regfan »

I'm happy with that happening.
Fro99er
Fro99er
Survivor
Fro99er
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:18 pm

Post by Fro99er »

Works for me.

I'll update the motion detector role
Heil King Froggo.
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:19 pm

Post by mhsmith0 »

Give me a day or two to look into it more, I want to be sure my thoughts aren't wrong.
Show
Fro99er
Fro99er
Survivor
Fro99er
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:20 pm

Post by Fro99er »

Ok...
Heil King Froggo.
Fro99er
Fro99er
Survivor
Fro99er
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:18 am

Post by Fro99er »

if you've got thoughts still I'm happy to hear them.
Heil King Froggo.
Fro99er
Fro99er
Survivor
Fro99er
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:22 am

Post by Fro99er »

Bueller?
Heil King Froggo.
Regfan
Regfan
Jack of All Trades
Regfan
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Mon May 01, 2017 10:57 pm

Post by Regfan »

Probably best to prod mhsmith about this.
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Tue May 02, 2017 5:01 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

Sorry. I'm at a business meeting today will re look at it tonight.
Show
Fro99er
Fro99er
Survivor
Fro99er
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Tue May 02, 2017 5:28 am

Post by Fro99er »

all good -- thank you!
Heil King Froggo.
Fro99er
Fro99er
Survivor
Fro99er
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Tue May 02, 2017 5:34 am

Post by Fro99er »

In the meantime...here are updated role PMs

(Updates = 1-shot to 2-shot for the rolestopper and roleblocker, and updating the motion detector as requested)

Role PM
  • You are a
    Town 2-shot Rolestopper

Abilities:
    • At night, you may target ONE player to Rolestop. You may use this ability up to two times in the game, and at most one time on any given night.
    • If successful, that player will be immune to any actions, including kills, performed on them, unless the kill is a strongman kill.
    • You will not be told if your Rolestop attempt succeeds.
    Win condition:

You are aligned with the
    Town
    and win when all threats to the
    Town
    have been eliminated and at least one
    Town
    -aligned player is alive.

---------------------------------

Role PM
  • You are a
    Town 2-shot Roleblocker

Abilities:
    • At night, you may target ONE player to Roleblock. You may use this ability up to two times in the game, and at most one time on any given night.
    • If successful, that player will not be able to use any Night Actions that night.
    • You will not be told if your Roleblock attempt succeeds.
    Win condition:

You are aligned with the
    Town
    Town
    Town

---------------------------------

Role PM
  • You are a
    Town Motion Detector

Abilities:
    • Once per night you may target a player.
    • If a player uses an ability, or has an ability used on them, you will be told
      You saw motioin

• If the player neither used an ability, nor had an ability used on them, you will be told
      You did NOT see any motion

• If your action is blocked or fails for any reason, you will be told
      No Result
    Win condition:

You are aligned with the
    Town
    Town
    Town
Heil King Froggo.
Fro99er
Fro99er
Survivor
Fro99er
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Tue May 02, 2017 5:38 am

Post by Fro99er »

Also updated rules to clarify the majority thing

Post 1:

RULES
(taken from and modified for this game)

General Rules:

1. This game was reviewed for normalcy and balance by [names].

2. Site-wide rules always apply here.
  3. If you have a question for me, you can always PM me. If you need to talk to me in thread,
    please bold your question like this so I can see it

4. You may not use hidden or encrypted text. I decide if the text is small enough to be count as hidden text.
  5. If you have a power to edit/delete your post, don't do it. If you scumslip, just accept it and eat rope.*
  6. Play nice. Insulting players with using any form of racial/sexual slur or any kind of derogatory languages or excessive harassing in any way will result in immediate force-replacement.*
  7. There will be strict adherence to the site policy about prohibiting discussion of ongoing games, which can be found here*
  8. This means do not discuss other ongoing games in this thread AND do not discuss this game elsewhere.
  9. Do not quote the PM that moderator sends you. Paraphrasing is fine until a certain level.
    If you're not sure about it, you're always welcome to ask me first before you post.
  10. Do not use provable randomization in this game. Saying that you rolled a dice is fine, using dice tag is not.
  11. This is my color (Yellow). Don't use it or colors closely resembling it.

12. If I find the certain factors/actions damaging the state of the game, I will intervene and/or take action.
  13. Keep the personal complaint, whatever they may be, outside of the wrong VC/information, private by PMing me.
  14. If you break these rules, I have full rights to punish you at my will. This can range from simple warning to modkill/force-replace.
  15. I will always consult a list-mod before performing any modkill.
  16. VIOLATING THE RULES WITH A STAR (*) WILL CAUSE AN IMMEDIATE FORCE-REPLACE NO MATTER THE CIRCUMSTANCES!

17. If I feel like it, I always have a full right to add/modify the rules. If I do, I will fully explain the reason behind such action.
  18. Most importantly, have fun!
Voting and Lynching:

1. You vote by either using bold tag([
    b]Vote: Fro99er[/b
    ]) or using vote tag ([
    vote]Fro99er[/vote
    ]) as such
    Vote: Fro99er
    or VOTE: Fro99er
  2. Unvote is not required to change your vote. Also, if it looks like a vote for someone, I will count it. No tricking me!
  3. A player is lynched when the majority of living players -- half players alive plus one rounded down -- vote for the same player
  4. Once the player is lynched, the lynchee and the living players may talk until I get back and post the flip.
  5. If the deadline is reached before the lynch has reached, the day will end with
    No Lynch
  6. If you're nightkilled, you may post one information-less "bah" post.
Activity and Deadline:

1. Deadline for each day phase is:
    10 days (240 hours)
  2. If you're on V/LA, please tell me beforehand by either posting it in thread (bolded) or PM to me.
    Any V/LA that lasts longer than 120 hours (=5 RL days, =1/2 of a game day phase) will be a force replace.
  3. If you don't post here for
    48 real hours
    , I will prod you. Failure to receive prod within
    24 hours
    will cause force-replacement.
  4. Three prods overall will equate to a force replace.
  5. If you do not submit an action before the night ends, it will count as
    No Action
  6. There will be
    deadline extensions
    given in this game only upon the moderators discretion.
Sample Role PM
  • You are a
    Vanilla Townie

Abilities:
    • You possess no special abilities other than your vote and your voice.
    Win condition:

You are aligned with the
    Town
    Town
    Town

Post 2:

Game Information:

1. This game features 10
Town
aligned players and 3
Mafia
aligned players.
2. Please re-read the rules for activity and deadline. I do not use the standard 14 day, 2-3 night deadlines.
Heil King Froggo.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Tue May 02, 2017 6:34 am

Post by mastina »

In the mean time, nitpicking details:
If successful, that player will not be able to use any Night Actions that night.
Would a roleblock stop a strongman? If not, then given you noted it in the rolestopper, it should be noted in the roleblocker PM as well.
If a player uses an ability, or has an ability used on them, you will be told You saw motioin
Last word is typoed; fix to 'motion'.
Fro99er
Fro99er
Survivor
Fro99er
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Tue May 02, 2017 7:12 am

Post by Fro99er »

yeah, I mean I qualified that with "if successful"

a rolestop or roleblock would not be successful on a strongman.
Heil King Froggo.
Fro99er
Fro99er
Survivor
Fro99er
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Tue May 02, 2017 7:13 am

Post by Fro99er »

oh I see what you rae saying
yeah I'll edit that into the roleblocker PM
Heil King Froggo.

Return to “Completed Game Reviews”