implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath
Pronoun: he/him

northsidegal's Mini Normal Review, May 2018

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue May 08, 2018 2:20 pm

Post by implosion »

northsidegal wrote:1. yes, i'll be ready to run it as soon as it's at the top!
2. 13 players
3. confirmed 10:3 is what i planned
4. usually i just say that one of my reviewers is a "backup mod", although in practice it's never been needed
5. Mini Normal 1983 and Mini Normal 1996 as experience

1. opening post:
MINI NORMAL 20XX :
TROPICAL MAFIA

by northsidegal, reviewed by reviewer, reviwer, and reviwer

CURRENT STATUS:
Pregame

PHASE DEADLINE:
(expired on 2018-04-30 12:59:59)

PLAYERLIST:

Spoiler:

ALIVE :

Spoiler: (13/13)

DEAD :

Spoiler: (0/13)

EVENTS :

Spoiler:
2. role pms:
Spoiler:
Mini Normal 20XXWelcome, playername. You are a
Vanilla Townie

Abilities:

You have no special abilities. Your vote is your weapon.

Win condition:

You win when all threats to the town have been eliminated and there is at least one town player alive.

The game thread is here. Please confirm by replying to this with your role name and alignment.

Town Loyal Fruit Vendor

Abilities:

Each night you may target a player to visit them. They will be informed that they have received fruit.
If you target a player who is not aligned with the town, your action will fail.

Win condition:

You win when all threats to the town have been eliminated and there is at least one town player alive.

The game thread is here. Please confirm by replying to this with your role name and alignment.

Town Motion Detector

Abilities:

Each night you may check a player for motion. You will detect motion if either that player performs an action during the night or has an action performed on them.

Win condition:

Town Jailkeeper

Abilities:

Each night you may target a player to jail them. You will both protect that player from one kill attempt that night and prevent any actions that player takes during the night from succeeding.

Win condition:

Mafia Goon

Abilities:

You share a private topic with your fellow Mafia,
playername
and
playername
As a member of the Mafia, you have access to a factional nightkill - at night one of you may kill another player.

Win condition:

You win when the mafia is the only faction that remains or nothing can prevent this from happening.

Your private thread is here.
The game thread is here. Please confirm by replying to this with your role name and alignment or by posting in your private thread.

Mafia Encryptor

Abilities:

playername
and
playername
As a member of the Mafia, you have access to a factional nightkill - at night one of you may kill another player.
While you are alive, the mafia private topic will remain open during the day.

Win condition:

You win when the mafia is the only faction that remains or nothing can prevent this from happening.

The game thread is here. Please confirm by replying to this with your role name and alignment or by posting in your private thread.

3. result pms:

Received Fruit:

You wake up to discover a basket of fruit left on your doorstep.

Motion Detector:

You detected motion on your observed target, observedplayer.
You did not detect motion on your observed target, observedplayer.
Your action was unsuccessful.
Last edited by implosion on Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue May 08, 2018 2:20 pm

Post by implosion »

Primary reviewer: callforjudgement
Secondary reviewer: RadiantCowbells
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue May 08, 2018 3:00 pm

Post by northsidegal »

Ego.
wiki | modded | Newbie NewD3 Stats | scripts

things fall apart
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue May 08, 2018 6:47 pm

Post by RadiantCowbells »

/wave

I would be willing to pass this setup wise on balance

haven't checked over rules or role pms

rest is up to CFJ
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Tue May 08, 2018 6:48 pm

Post by northsidegal »

oh i don't think i have rules there, here they are:
Game Rules

General

-Adhere to all site rules.
-Always play to win.
-Remember that this is a game - heated discussion is allowed, but personal attacks are not.
-Pretending to break the rules will be treated similarly as actually breaking the rules.
-Do not quote any out of game communication regarding this game - this includes your role PM, any other PMs I may send you, and posts from private threads.
-If you need to get my attention, please include "
@mod
" in your post or PM me.
-
This
(#AA0022) is my color. You can use it, if you want.
-Do not use encryption, hidden text or excessively small text in your posts.
-Do not use any form of provable randomness. This includes dice tags, screenshots of random.org, etc. Saying you flipped a coin is okay, providing some sort of proof that you did isn’t.
-Each day phase will last for
days, with night phases lasting
hours.
-Players are allowed one non-game relevant "bah" post after their deaths. Otherwise, do not post in the game thread or any private topics following your death, with the exception of the dead thread.
-If you have the ability to edit your posts, do not do so.
-My decisions are final. If I feel you are violating any of the rules, I will take the appropriate action.
-As a general principle, whenever moderator action is required I will attempt to make the decision that has the least impact on the natural flow of gameplay. For example, force replacing instead of modkilling whenever possible.
-Have fun!

Voting

-All votes and unvotes must be in
bold
or in VOTE: vote tags, with vote tags being preferable.
-Votes in spoilers will not be counted.
-Abbreviations and nicknames are acceptable, as long as I can understand them.
-Unvotes are not necessary before revoting.
-Lynches will occur when a majority (>50%) is reached. If no majority is reached before deadline, the day will end in a no lynch.
-Voting to end the day in a no-lynch requires only 50% of players, not >50%.
-Once a hammer has occurred, the game is in "twilight". Discussion may continue until I lock the thread but no further votes or unvotes will be counted.

Activity

-You are expected to make at least one game-relevant post every 48 hours. Players who go 48 hours without posting will be prodded.
-If you are prodded, you have 24 hours to post in-thread. If you do not respond within 24 hours, you will be replaced. Additionally, if I have to prod you 3 or more times, you will be replaced at my own discretion.
-Abuse of prod dodges will result in you being replaced at my own discretion.
-If you are going to be V/LA, please announce it in thread or PM me. Depending on the length of your V/LA I may be forced to replace you.

Game Notes

-Night actions this game will follow Natural Action Resolution.
-If you do not send me an action for the night, I will assume that you are not taking one.
-The Mafia private thread remaining open during the day would be dependent on the existence and survival of a Mafia Encryptor.
-Factional actions and other actions may be performed by the same player simultaneously.
-At least one player has received the following role:
Vanilla Townie

Abilities:

Win condition:

things fall apart
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Tue May 08, 2018 6:52 pm

Post by RadiantCowbells »

Aha

Jailkeeper in normal rules blocks all kills, not just one

rest is fine
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Tue May 08, 2018 6:53 pm

Post by northsidegal »

News to me.

New role PMs:
Spoiler:
Vanilla Townie

Abilities:

Win condition:

Town Loyal Fruit Vendor

Abilities:

Each night you may target a player to visit them. They will be informed that they have received fruit.
If you target a player who is not aligned with the town, your action will fail.

Win condition:

Town Motion Detector

Abilities:

Each night you may check a player for motion. You will detect motion if either that player performs an action during the night or has an action performed on them.

Win condition:

Town Jailkeeper

Abilities:

Each night you may target a player to jail them. You will both protect that player from all kill attempts that night and prevent any actions that player takes during the night from succeeding.

Win condition:

Mafia Goon

Abilities:

playername
and
playername

Win condition:

Mafia Encryptor

Abilities:

playername
and
playername
While you are alive, the mafia private topic will remain open during the day.

Win condition:

things fall apart
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed May 09, 2018 12:39 am

Post by callforjudgement »

Ooh, new review rules!

You haven't specified the compositions of the teams, just the role PMs (i.e. I don't know how many of each role is on each team). I'm assuming Jailkeeper + Motion Detector + Loyal Fruit Vendor + 7 VT vs. Encryptor + 2 Goon.

I think this setup is slightly scumsided as is. Town's power is primarily in the Loyal Fruit Vendor, and yet they effectively have to claim to be able to make use of their role. So this is effectively going to give town a "delayed" batch of investigation results some time around day 2 or 3. (If the Fruit Vendor dies, they
might
get one more effective investigation that night if it's on town; they can't breadcrumb as scum will just claim to have gotten the fruit.) Town can try to protect them with the Jailkeeper, but then they're getting false positives on the investigation! (I'm reminded of the Micro setup where the Doctor makes the Cop paranoid if they try to protect them.) I think the Fruit Vendor needs to average more than two useful investigations to make the setup work, and that seems to me like it's a bit higher than the average is likely to be in practice.

There is a good mix of early- and late-game power here, so I'm not worried that much about swing (if the Fruit Vendor dies early, town still have two late-game roles to try to salvage the setup).

I don't think this setup is too scumsided to run (under the new rules where we're meant to be a bit laxer with balance). I would like to suggest adding a 1-shot Doctor to the setup; this isn't a very useful role usually, and will probably be wasted, but a clever town can use it to help survive a situation where they're forced into an early claim.

About the rules: I tend to be suspicious of games where the night phase is shorter than the prod timer. A perfectly timed lynch could cause a power role, or the scum, to miss Night entirely. The Day phases are also short enough that people will need to know about them during signups, so that players who prefer longer Days can choose to avoid the game.

/approve
with the following caveats:

a) Either the Night phase length is increased to 48 hours, or the prod timer is reduced to 36 hours;
b) The deadline rules (including the Day deadline length, the Night deadline length, and the prod timer) are posted publicly in the signup thread;
c) I would prefer a version of this setup that replaced a Vanilla Townie with a Town 1-shot Doctor. However, both the version without the 1-shot Doctor and the version with the 1-shot Doctor are approved (but let us know which you chose!)

[Note to NSG: point c) here is a new trick that the reviewers have been given to make the review go quickly. I can approve either your version, my version, or both and let us choose, but I have to give at least one approved setup in every post. In this case, both should be close enough. You can also counter-suggest another setup of your own if you wish, that won't be
automatically
approved, but it's likely to be approved if it's reasonable.]
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed May 09, 2018 12:40 am

(Oh, and under the new rules you don't actually need RadiantCowbell's approval – although it's worth listening to his advice anyway – but you do need to let us know which of the approved setups you're going with.)
scum
town
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed May 09, 2018 1:24 am

Post by northsidegal »

Oh I forgot I put those 7 day deadlines in.

I'll probably change that to 10 days/48 hours with 48 hour prods. That fine?

things fall apart
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed May 09, 2018 1:25 am

Yes, that's fine (and probably doesn't need signup thread advertisement, although feel free to do it if you want).
scum
town
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed May 09, 2018 1:40 am

Post by northsidegal »

Do you guys think there's an audience for the faster deadlines?

Just not sure if it'll turn people off of the game.

things fall apart
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Wed May 09, 2018 1:46 am

Both are the case. There are people who will be attracted to a game by fast deadlines, but also people who will be repelled. It's thus best to have a mix of deadline policies in the queues.
scum
town
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Wed May 09, 2018 2:03 am

Post by northsidegal »

Updated rules with 10 day day phases, 48 hour nights
Spoiler:
Game Rules

General

-Adhere to all site rules.
-Always play to win.
-Remember that this is a game - heated discussion is allowed, but personal attacks are not.
-Pretending to break the rules will be treated similarly as actually breaking the rules.
-Do not quote any out of game communication regarding this game - this includes your role PM, any other PMs I may send you, and posts from private threads.
-If you need to get my attention, please include "
@mod
" in your post or PM me.
-
This
(#AA0022) is my color. You can use it, if you want.
-Do not use encryption, hidden text or excessively small text in your posts.
-Do not use any form of provable randomness. This includes dice tags, screenshots of random.org, etc. Saying you flipped a coin is okay, providing some sort of proof that you did isn’t.
-Each day phase will last for 10 days, with night phases lasting 48 hours.
-Players are allowed one non-game relevant "bah" post after their deaths. Otherwise, do not post in the game thread or any private topics following your death, with the exception of the dead thread.
-If you have the ability to edit your posts, do not do so.
-My decisions are final. If I feel you are violating any of the rules, I will take the appropriate action.
-As a general principle, whenever moderator action is required I will attempt to make the decision that has the least impact on the natural flow of gameplay. For example, force replacing instead of modkilling whenever possible.
-Have fun!

Voting

-All votes and unvotes must be in
bold
or in VOTE: vote tags, with vote tags being preferable.
-Votes in spoilers will not be counted.
-Abbreviations and nicknames are acceptable, as long as I can understand them.
-Unvotes are not necessary before revoting.
-Lynches will occur when a majority (>50%) is reached. If no majority is reached before deadline, the day will end in a no lynch.
-Voting to end the day in a no-lynch requires only 50% of players, not >50%.
-Once a hammer has occurred, the game is in "twilight". Discussion may continue until I lock the thread but no further votes or unvotes will be counted.

Activity

-You are expected to make at least one game-relevant post every 48 hours. Players who go 48 hours without posting will be prodded.
-If you are prodded, you have 24 hours to post in-thread. If you do not respond within 24 hours, you will be replaced. Additionally, if I have to prod you 3 or more times, you will be replaced at my own discretion.
-Abuse of prod dodges will result in you being replaced at my own discretion.
-If you are going to be V/LA, please announce it in thread or PM me. Depending on the length of your V/LA I may be forced to replace you.

Game Notes

-Night actions this game will follow Natural Action Resolution.
-If you do not send me an action for the night, I will assume that you are not taking one.
-The Mafia private thread remaining open during the day would be dependent on the existence and survival of a Mafia Encryptor.
-Factional actions and other actions may be performed by the same player simultaneously.
-At least one player has received the following role:
Vanilla Townie

Abilities:

Win condition:

things fall apart
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed May 09, 2018 2:04 am

Post by northsidegal »

Will run it with the original setup.