he/him
Polymath
Polymath
Pronoun: he/him

Plum's Mini Normal Review, July 2019

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:00 pm

Post by implosion »

Plum wrote:
implosion wrote:Subject: Normal Queue Thread (Players and Mods)
Plum wrote:/ in to Mod a mini
Hello - would you like to design a setup, or run a pre-designed one?

If the former, send me the setup at your leisure so I can start the review process.

Thanks!
Hi, thanks, I was just about to send my setup to you!

Spoiler: Setup
Town (10)

Town Indecisive Doctor
Town Bodyguard
Town Roleblocker
Town Night 3+ Vigilante
Town Tracker
Vanilla Town

Mafia (3)

Mafia Jailkeeper
Mafia Tracker Enabler
Mafia Roleblocker Enabler

Spoiler: Vanilla Town
Hello,
[PLAYERNAME]
. Welcome to
Mafia #[Mini Normal #]: Mafia à la Mode!

Your role in this game is
Vanilla Town

Abilities:
  • You have no special abilities.
You win when only members of the
Town
remain alive or nothing can prevent the same.

Please confirm by PM and make sure to read the game rules in the thread before posting. Good luck and have fun!

Spoiler: Town Indecisive Doctor
Hello,
[PLAYERNAME]
. Welcome to

Town Indecisive Doctor

Abilities:
  • Doctor:
    Once every Night you may target another player to protect them from one killing action.
    • Indecisive:
      You may not target the same player with this ability on two consecutive Nights.
Town

Please confirm by PM and make sure to read the game rules in the thread before posting. Good luck and have fun!

Spoiler: Town Bodyguard
Hello,
[PLAYERNAME]
. Welcome to

Town Bodyguard

Abilities:
  • Bodyguard:
    Once every Night you may target another player to protect them from one killing action. If you protect a player who would be killed that Night, you will die.
Town

Spoiler: Town Roleblocker
Hello,
[PLAYERNAME]
. Welcome to

Town Roleblocker

Abilities:
  • Roleblocker:
    Once every Night you may target another player to prevent them from using any targeting abilities that Night.
Town

Spoiler: Town Night 3+ Vigilante
Hello,
[PLAYERNAME]
. Welcome to

Town Night 3+ Vigilante

Abilities:
  • Vigilante:
    Once every Night you may target another player to kill them.
    • Night 3+:
      You may use this ability on Night 3 and every Night thereafter.
Town

Spoiler: Town Tracker
Hello,
[PLAYERNAME]
. Welcome to

Town Tracker

Abilities:
  • Tracker:
    Once every Night you may target another player to see who they targeted that Night.
Town

Spoiler: Mafia Jailkeeper
Hello,
[PLAYERNAME]
. Welcome to

Mafia Jailkeeper

Factional:
  • Mafia Team:
    Your teammates are
    [Playername], Mafia Tracker Enabler
    and
    [Playername], Mafia Roleblocker Enabler
  • Mafia Communication:
    You may talk with your living teammates during Nights only here.
  • Mafia Factional Kill:
    Once every Night, a living member of the Mafia may submit a factional kill action.
Abilities:
  • Jailkeeper:
    Once every Night you may target another player to prevent them from using any targeting abilities that Night
    and
    to protect them from all killing actions.
Mafia

Spoiler: Mafia Tracker Enabler
Hello,
[PLAYERNAME]
. Welcome to

Mafia Tracker Enabler

Factional:
  • Mafia Team:
    Your teammates are
    [Playername], Mafia Jailkeeper
    and
  • Mafia Communication:
  • Mafia Factional Kill:
    Once every Night, a living member of the Mafia may submit a factional kill action.
Abilities:
  • Tracker Enabler:
    (Passive)
    If no players with an ability named
    Tracker Enabler
    are alive, all players with an ability named
    Tracker
    will lose use of that ability and will be informed of such.
Mafia

Spoiler: Mafia Roleblocker Enabler
Hello,
[PLAYERNAME]
. Welcome to

Factional:
  • Mafia Team:
    Your teammates are
    [Playername], Mafia Jailkeeper
    and
  • Mafia Communication:
  • Mafia Factional Kill:
Abilities:
  • Roleblocker Enabler:
    (Passive)
    If no players with an ability named
    Roleblocker Enabler
    are alive, all players with an ability named
    Roleblocker
    will lose use of that ability and will be informed of such.
Mafia

Spoiler: Game PMs
You may no longer use the following ability:
Tracker

You may no longer use the following ability:
Roleblocker

Your
Track
ability returns:
[Playername]
targeted
[Playername]

Your
Track
ability returns:
[Playername]
targeted
No one

Your
Track
ability returns:
No result

Spoiler: Ruleset
General Rules
  • Read and obey the site rules.
  • Play to win.
  • Remember that everyone playing is actually a real person. Treat every player and Moderator in this game with a basic level of respect.
  • Do not talk about this game outside the thread unless your role allows you to, and then only in the manner expressly permitted by your role.
  • When you die, you must stop posting in any game-related topics immediately.
  • Do not edit posts, if you somehow have the powers to do so. Do not use invisible text. Do not use small text. Do not use or abuse cryptography. Do not do anything I haven't mentioned that breaks the spirit of this rule.
  • Do not quote any private communication from the moderator or from any sanctioned out-of-thread game communication (e.g. a Neighborhood private topic) in the game thread. Close paraphrases may or may not be prohibited by the spirit of this rule. If you're unsure, please ask me first.
  • The Moderator will not respond publicly to any direct public communication about this game. If you have any questions or concerns, communicate them to the Moderator privately if you want any response.
  • If you request replacement, you must stop posting in any game-related topics immediately. You may not replace back in or rescind your request.
  • Do not fake breaking a rule.
  • Participate actively.
    • I will send prod notifications to any player who has not posted over 48 real-life hours and is not V/LA.
    • If a player would receive their third prod notification, they will receive a prod notification and an official warning.
    • If a player would receive their fourth prod notification, they will be force-replaced.
    • If you have upcoming V/LA, please let me know privately. I will note V/LAs publicly. Players will not be sent prod notifications during their V/LA periods.
  • In the event of a rules infraction, the Moderator reserves the right to warn, to force-replace, and/or to Mod-kill with removal of win-condition.
    • If I have questions or concerns about rule breaking, game integrity, and/or appropriate response to rule breaking, I may consult the
      Game Integrity Consultant
      [Playername]
      . This user is aware of the game's setup but not its role distribution and is intended to serve as an unbiased consultant for game integrity issues.

Game Participation Information and Guidelines
  • Plum
    is the color I will use for certain Moderator communication purposes. It's not really a big deal if you use it because I will never use it to publicly comment an edit into a user's post and all public Moderator communication will be clearly marked as such in ways other than text color.
  • Votes should be posted using vote tags (i.e. VOTE: Plum). It is not necessary to unvote before placing a new vote, but using an UNVOTE: alone will reset you to not voting anyone. If it looks like a vote on a player in this game, it will be treated as such.
  • A player is lynched when the number of votes for that player is greater than half of the number of living players. If there is no majority at deadline, there will be no lynch for that Day.
  • The deadline for each Day will be 10 real-life days. The deadline for each Night will be 48 hours.
  • This game obeys the constraints of a Normal Game.
    • This game does
      not enable Mafia factional daytalk by default
    • This game includes at least one player assigned the role of
      Vanilla Town
      , with the following Role PM:

Hello,
      [PLAYERNAME]
      . Welcome to

Vanilla Town

Abilities:
      • You have no special abilities.
      Town

Last edited by implosion on Fri May 08, 2020 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:01 pm

Post by implosion »

Primary: mastina
Secondary: BulletNLynchProof
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:10 pm

Post by mastina »

Initial thoughts: neat idea for a setup and I wouldn't say it needs
much
fundamental changes, but as it is, this setup IS a little scumsided. If you turned the jailkeeper into a goon, and/or changed the vig into Novice (which is N2+), I'd call it more balanced. Tracker as a weak investigative plus strong kill denial plus a vig able to shoot a little bit earlier into the game.
Plum
Plum
Mafia Scum
Plum
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:32 pm

Post by Plum »

Hmmm. I'm intrigued - I wasn't sure exactly how the balance fell on this one but I was assuming it was just a bit Town-sided, to be honest (largely because of how many named Town roles with some power there are, including both Roleblocker and Tracker in a double Mafia Enabler setup - I feel like Town claims here are strong, though only the Tracker does much to confirm any of them). I might also fall into a different camp than you with regard to Vig power - I think it would
probably
strengthen Town a tiny bit to have it start Night 2 vs. Night 3 (and increase swing a little more than it would strengthen Town) but it's kind of marginal. I get that it would get more chances to shoot Town powerroles by accident and even if it hits scum it's 2/3 to remove a Town power anyway (though the player and claim remain on the board). It's a little weird because you're saying that if this setup had a Novice Vig it would on balance be better for it not to shoot Night 2 and play as though it were a Night 3+ Vig. But you might be right - I did think of the role of the Night 3+ Vig in this setup as being able to help clear out an extra scum late in the game if one of the stronger powerroles was disabled but information was out there.

Not sure what you mean by "Tracker as a weak investigative plus strong kill denial"? If you feel strongly about weakening the scumteam, I would be more inclined to limit the Jailkeeper shots than cut it altogether. I would have said two shots, but if you think that downgrading all the way to Goon is appropriate, well, two shots doesn't mean that much more than "don't use it until you know what to aim at". I know that "free" shots are valuable, but they're definitionally the least valuable, on average ...

I want to confirm based on released setup review threads I've read that in Normal Games any living enabler for a role is enough, which is why I worded the PMs that way.

While I'm here, if I have a couple of thoughts on roles and/or modifiers that I think could potentially at some point be valuable whitelistable tools for Normal Games, what's the best way of bringing it up with the Normal Group (if any)?
Plum
Plum
Mafia Scum
Plum
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:34 pm

Post by Plum »

Oh also, do Normal guidelines allow disabled roles to be explicitly notified? I looked for some precedent but what I saw seemed ambiguous.
BNL
BNL
Micro Madness
BNL
Micro Madness
Micro Madness

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:40 pm

Post by BNL »

Feels like too little town power.

Thought this was super swingy at first then I noticed that the enablers dealt with the swing, but I think that makes the setup complicated.
GTKAS - BNL

Busy, on indefinite V/LA. May return April 2020
BNL
BNL
Micro Madness
BNL
Micro Madness
Micro Madness

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:44 pm

Post by BNL »

In post 4, Plum wrote:Oh also, do Normal guidelines allow disabled roles to be explicitly notified? I looked for some precedent but what I saw seemed ambiguous.
Both are fine afaik
GTKAS - BNL

mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:54 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 3, Plum wrote:I feel like Town claims here are strong, though only the Tracker does much to confirm any of them
The town claims here are only strong with the accompanying flip of the scum whose role they are enabled. Town has no way of knowing a town tracker is town truthclaiming until they see a scum tracker enabler flip; similarly so for a roleblocker. Until such a time as those mafia roles are lynched (in which case, it's mafia lynched), town can and very realistically will lynch those claims in spite of them being, on the flip of a specific scum player, nigh-conftown.

In that sense, there's the self-balancing mechanism in play: get conftowned by a flip, but lose access to the role; remain not conftown, but have access to the role.
In post 3, Plum wrote:Not sure what you mean by "Tracker as a weak investigative plus strong kill denial"?
I was referring to the town's PRs as a whole: tracker, as a weak investigative.
Plus strong kill denial in the form of a bodyguard, indecisive doctor, and roleblocker. That's three methods every night of preventing the scum from killing who they want to.

This is where the town more or less needs to be in power; the need access to those tools. The problem comes from the fact that between the scum nightkill, the scum's natural access to information (they are going to be able to deduce that the setup has both a town tracker and a town roleblocker), and the scum's jailkeeper, the scum have access to 2.5 ways per night of hunting/shutting down those roles and have the safety net of knowing that if scum are lynched those roles are disabled anyway.

A scum jailkeeper is also particularly devastating against the vig thanks to the vig being so late in the game; if the jailkeeper survives, they can shut down the vig shot and prevent the vig from becoming known as conftown. (Which is why one of the ways to make the game not scumsided is to allow the vig the ability to shoot earlier.)

Similarly, the tracker is the town's only definitive investigative--if the tracker is permanently blocked, then they can't get results. There's also the disaster scenario; what if the town roleblocker roleblocks scum, but the scum jailkeeper jailkept the roleblocker? It can lead to falsely clearing a scum player. (It shouldn't, but it can.)

Or even worse than that: what if the town roleblocker claims, and the scum jailkeep the town tracker? Do you think that, reasonably speaking, the town is likely to conclude that the tracker was roleblocked by an unclaimed, unknown, roleblocker? Or is it more likely that they are going to assume that the claimed town roleblocker is simply a scum roleblocker that roleblocked the town tracker?

An ungated scum jailkeeper is an
incredibly
strong role in this setup because it serves as the perfect counter to almost every town role. That's why I'd think that, as-is, the game would be slightly scumsided.
In post 3, Plum wrote:If you feel strongly about weakening the scumteam, I would be more inclined to limit the Jailkeeper shots than cut it altogether. I would have said two shots, but if you think that downgrading all the way to Goon is appropriate, well, two shots doesn't mean that much more than "don't use it until you know what to aim at". I know that "free" shots are valuable, but they're definitionally the least valuable, on average ...
I'd say limiting the shots works as well for balance. A 2x scum jailkeeper has less opportunities to shut the town down, while still giving the scum some leverage.
In post 3, Plum wrote:While I'm here, if I have a couple of thoughts on roles and/or modifiers that I think could potentially at some point be valuable whitelistable tools for Normal Games, what's the best way of bringing it up with the Normal Group (if any)?
There's a thread for it, would take a bit to track down the link for it tho.
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:58 pm

Post by implosion »

In post 4, Plum wrote:Oh also, do Normal guidelines allow disabled roles to be explicitly notified? I looked for some precedent but what I saw seemed ambiguous.
Yeah, notifying them is fine.
BNL
BNL
Micro Madness
BNL
Micro Madness
Micro Madness

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:23 pm

Post by BNL »

I feel that town needs more power? Yeah there’s some kill stopping and killing but I don’t think it’s enough to balance the setup by itself, and the tracker is quite a weak investigative. The only thing town has going is being able to protect their power roles, albeit temporarily.

I think bumping the vig up to N2 gives town sufficient power here.

Actually, I’m not even sure of the notion that an enabler flip conftowns the town PR: What’s stopping scum from having both a roleblocker and a roleblocker enabler?
GTKAS - BNL

Plum
Plum
Mafia Scum
Plum
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:34 pm

Post by Plum »

I mean, I don't actually have anything against putting a Mafia Tracker Enabler in a Normal game with no Tracker, ditto Roleblocker Enabler with no Roleblocker. It's something I would do (well, propose and get reviewed, obviously). Both in one game might be a bit much even for me.

What I'm hearing is 1+ of the following: Limit Jailkeeper to 2 shots, change Vig to Novice Vig instead of Night 3+ ... I could also change Mafia Jailkeeper to Mafia Roleblocker so it gets disabled. I'm getting a ballpark of choose two of those three options and that's better balance. Does that sound about right? If so, do you have a balance preference for which two to choose?
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:25 am

Post by mastina »

Vig to novice + limiting shots of the jailkeeper to 2 would be my recommendation. I'd be comfortable with passing the setup with those changes.
Plum
Plum
Mafia Scum
Plum
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:14 am

Post by Plum »

Sounds good to me. This is how the setup and edited Role PMs would look in that case:

Spoiler: Setup
Town (10)

Town Indecisive Doctor
Town Bodyguard
Town Roleblocker
Town Novice Vigilante
Town Tracker
Vanilla Town

Mafia (3)

Mafia 2-shot Jailkeeper
Mafia Tracker Enabler

Spoiler: Town Novice Vigilante
Hello,
[PLAYERNAME]
. Welcome to

Town Novice Vigilante

Abilities:
  • Vigilante:
    Once every Night you may target another player to kill them.
    • Novice:
      You may use this ability only starting on Night 2.
Town

Spoiler: Mafia 2-shot Jailkeeper
Hello,
[PLAYERNAME]
. Welcome to

Mafia 2-shot Jailkeeper

Factional:
  • Mafia Team:
    Your teammates are
    and
  • Mafia Communication:
  • Mafia Factional Kill:
Abilities:
  • Jailkeeper:
    Once every Night you may target another player to prevent them from using any targeting abilities that Night
    and
    to protect them from all killing actions.
    • 2-shot:
      You may use this ability only twice during the game.
Mafia

mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:58 pm

Post by mastina »

Yeah that looks good to me.
Plum
Plum
Mafia Scum
Plum
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:03 pm

Post by Plum »

Okay, well, if BulletNLynchproof signs off on it, I guess that's that. Thanks so much! I'm looking forward to running the game :)

By the way, about those role and modifier proposals I have ... just the Normal Game change thread in MD, or somewhere else?
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:55 pm

Post by implosion »

There isn't really a formal system from outside of the NRG; there have been some ideas from outside that I've heard and implemented before though. You can put them in this thread, or pm them to me, or just put them in this thread if you want :p
Plum
Plum
Mafia Scum
Plum
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:03 pm

Post by Plum »

Mostly I just considered the utility of a couple of things:

A faction-specific backup or a cross-faction-specific backup. Like a Universal Backup but backs up only the first power role from their faction to die (or for cross-factional, from a different faction). The main utility this would add would be to keep Town at the same number of power roles if one got killed early without respect to which one died.

A Watcher except it cannot detect kills - target a player and see all players who targeted that player with a non-kill action. Has utility confirming claims and detecting odd things like Roleblocks that wouldn't come from Town, but it doesn't get to see the scum kill just for guessing who will be the target and doesn't have the Cop/protect aspect. If you guys like it, my brain spitballed Gumshoe as a potential name, even though it really only suggests sleuthing in general.

These both might be, like, okay ideas but not really filling gaps that need filling (or filling them but not well enough to justify them, or the gaps are just not really big enough to warrant worrying about filling them), but they're things that occurred to me when sketching out setup ideas.
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:48 pm

Post by implosion »

FYI, the current universal backup
is
faction-specific; it only backs up roles of its own alignment. I think it's the kind of area where having too many different roles can get potentially cluttered/confusing (backup that inherit specific/any role x backups that inherit their own/other/any alignment already = 6 different kinds of backups). It's nice to have but I'm not sure it's worth the design space.

I like gumshoe though. Could spitball it forward in the nrg at some point. Maybe also a tracker variant. Both would be really weak roles, though. Could be good for multiroles (eg combined gumshoe voyeur)
Plum
Plum
Mafia Scum
Plum
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:57 pm

Post by Plum »

Oh, if Universal Backup is faction-specific, well, that already exists then and I just misunderstood Universal Backup? Huh. Okay.

I feel like Tracker is a good role that's not too powerful at baseline but Watcher is very powerful and it can be hard to make it feel fair without workarounds like giving access to Ninja or something, because of how it counters the scum kill so heavily - but I think if it couldn't detect the kill, it would baseline be weaker than a plain Tracker but it could still be valuable in the right circumstances (like the example you gave).
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:03 pm

Post by implosion »

yeah, it's just sort of natural to give tracker the variant if it's also being given to watcher. I agree it conceptually makes more sense as a watcher variant. Might want to not even make the tracker variant bc it'd potentially be just bad design to give a tracker without the reward of being able to find kills. That said I can imagine utility for it in like, setups where the town already has a role like jk/rb that gets stronger with fewer scum.
BNL
BNL
Micro Madness
BNL
Micro Madness
Micro Madness

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:11 am

Post by BNL »

In post 14, Plum wrote:Okay, well, if BulletNLynchproof signs off on it, I guess that's that. Thanks so much! I'm looking forward to running the game :)

By the way, about those role and modifier proposals I have ... just the Normal Game change thread in MD, or somewhere else?
Only the primary reviewer needs to sign off, and that’s not me.
GTKAS - BNL

mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:35 pm

Post by mastina »

(To be clear, I have signed off on this.)

Return to “Completed Game Reviews”