he/him
Polymath
Polymath
Pronoun: he/him

An 11-player Something_Smart pre-designed setup

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:39 pm

Post by implosion »

zz
Last edited by implosion on Sat May 23, 2020 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:53 pm

Post by northsidegal »

scums
wiki | modded | Newbie NewD3 Stats | scripts

things fall apart
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:08 pm

Post by Something_Smart »

Mafia Multitasking Rolecop
Mafia Informed (there is a town N1 watcher)

Town Night 1 Watcher
Town Even-Night Tracker
Town 1-shot Bulletproof Night 3 Doctor
Town Night 3 Loyal Jailkeeper
5x VT
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:16 pm

I don't really have a great metric for what balances 9:2 but the idea here is that the majority of town's power is in the tracker and the fact that scum are forced to make a suboptimal kill on N1 to ensure they don't kill into the watcher. Town has a good chance of stopping one kill but a terrible chance of stopping two, which is intentional, but it means the tracker's N4 shot is more likely to fire.

Adjustments in either direction are easy to make; the multitasking rolecop was originally a (non-multitasking) N2 rolecop which would fit very nicely in the setup if you think it balances better :P

I don't think the rolecop is that helpful for the scum though unless they hit the tracker, most of town's PR's are nonthreatening enough except for the watcher who will already have used their power by the time the rolecop could find them.
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:50 pm

Post by northsidegal »

okay, interesting. i really like how even if there's a non-watcher PR run up day one it's alright for scum to leave them alive given that they're all night gated to later – that's well designed, i think.

avoids much of the problem with two scum setups with trackers / jailkeepers through the even night gating and the jailkeeper being loyal, preventing rapid hard clears when only one scum is gone. i'm a fan of that.

yeah, i think this is overall fairly balanced. i do think that scum are going to be going through the town power roles fairly quickly (given that, assuming a d1 VT lynch, night one the town is 50/50 power roles to VTs), although i'm not sure an elegant way to really change that or of it's really something that needs to be changed in the first place.

things fall apart
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:52 pm

Post by northsidegal »

i'd pass it. let's see the role pms.

things fall apart
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:01 pm

Post by implosion »

and just like that, the normal queue op lists an 11 as available~
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:18 pm

Cool. Didn't see the insta-pass coming, ngl :P

I should be able to get the role PM's done tomorrow, before I go out of town for the weekend.
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:48 pm

Post by northsidegal »

If you want to pass it back and forth a bit more and think through some changes I'm all ears, but yeah. I think as is it's passable. There are problems for both sides I could name but they're either offset by something else (e.g. pretty low town investigative power especially on an early tracker kill, balanced out by a high percentage of PRs meaning much of the game is going to revolve around setup spec and massclaim) or just not big enough to warrant changes.

things fall apart
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:07 am

Do you think it would be better if I nixed or nerfed the rolecop?

I wanted to find some way to put in a backup tracker but I think that causes setup spec problems because it and the tracker could potentially clear each other which I don't want.
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:09 am

Post by northsidegal »

I think a small rolecop nerf would be best, something to slow scum PR discovery rate.

things fall apart
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:15 am

Another idea I had was to change the doc to N2, which has the cute element of having one protective power each on the first three nights, but I think that allows town to setup spec all their PR's town way too easily.

How about if I gate the rolecop to N2 but keep it multitasking? That way they don't get screwed over too badly if the informed dies early.
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:19 am

Post by northsidegal »

What do you think of multitasking even-night rolecop? Realistically that's probably only one more shot than night 2, and it introduces an element that the tracker could catch them multitasking targeting two people at once, basically a scumclaim more than even just targeting the nightkill.

things fall apart
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:34 am

I don't think there's any chance that the scum won't know everyone's roles by N4, so I don't think it's necessary :P And I kinda like keeping it N2 because scum can twist it to a plausible fakeclaim like N2 vanilla cop or N2 gunsmith and they won't be counterclaimed by another N2 role. (There's the tracker but I doubt they will treat that as any sort of counterclaim.)

Not that two N2 roles wouldn't exist, but it gives some credibility to the claim, which scum need in a game with this many PR's.
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:39 am

Post by northsidegal »

meh, it works. i think it tips the scale from slightly in scum's favor to slightly in town's favor, but not by too much. i would pass both versions, n2 and full, so if you want to go with the n2 one that's fine.

things fall apart
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:43 am

What about novice?
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:47 am

Post by northsidegal »

i would say that's about the power level that i think makes it the most balanced. that way, even if scum know someone's role day 2, the first actionable kill they can make given that information is night three, the night of all the protectives. i think that fits in pretty well with the design of the other night-specific aspects.

things fall apart
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:52 am

Great. Final setup:

Mafia Multitasking Novice Rolecop
Mafia Informed (there is a town N1 watcher)

Town Night 1 Watcher
Town Even-Night Tracker
Town 1-shot Bulletproof Night 3 Doctor
Town Night 3 Loyal Jailkeeper
5x VT
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:55 am

Spoiler: Role PM's
Vanilla TownieWelcome, XXXX, to Mini ####! Your role is
Vanilla Townie.

You have no special powers.

You win when all mafia members are dead and at least one town member remains alive.

Please respond to this PM indicating you understand your role and your win condition.
The game thread is here (link).

Town Night 1 WatcherWelcome, XXXX, to Mini ####! Your role is
Town Night 1 Watcher.

On Night 1, you may target another player. You will learn who, if anyone, targeted your target with an action that night. If your action fails for any reason, you will receive "Your action failed, and you did not receive a result."

You win when all mafia members are dead and at least one town member remains alive.

Please respond to this PM indicating you understand your role and your win condition.

Town Even-Night TrackerWelcome, XXXX, to Mini ####! Your role is
Town Even-Night Tracker.

On even-numbered nights (2, 4, etc.), you may target another player. You will learn who, if anyone, your target targeted with an action. If your action fails for any reason, you will receive "Your action failed, and you did not receive a result."

Town One-Shot Bulletproof Night 3 DoctorWelcome, XXXX, to Mini ####! Your role is
Town One-Shot Bulletproof Night 3 Doctor.

The first time you would be killed at night, you will instead survive.
On Night 3, you may target another player. That player will be protected from one kill.

Town Night 3 Loyal JailkeeperWelcome, XXXX, to Mini ####! Your role is
Town Night 3 Loyal Jailkeeper.

On Night 3, you may target another player. They will be protected from all kills, and any actions they attempt will be prevented. If you target a player who is not the same alignment as you, your action will fail.

Mafia Multitasking Novice RolecopWelcome, XXXX, to Mini ####! Your role is
Mafia Multitasking Novice Rolecop.
Your partner is YYYY,
Mafia Informed
. You share a private topic (link) that you may talk in at any time while you are alive, and you share a factional kill that one of your members may carry out each night.

Each night, you may target another player. You will learn that player's role (though not their alignment). If your action fails for any reason, you will receive "Your action failed, and you did not receive a result." You may not use your action on Night 1.
You may take multiple actions in the same night. This includes using a personal action and a factional kill at the same time.

You win when the mafia control 50% of the town or nothing can prevent this.

Mafia InformedWelcome, XXXX, to Mini ####! Your role is
Mafia Informed.
Your partner is YYYY,
. You share a private topic (link) that you may talk in at any time while you are alive, and you share a factional kill that one of your members may carry out each night.

You are informed that there is a Town Night 1 Watcher in the game. This information will be redacted if you ever flip.

Spoiler: Code

Code: Select all

[area=Vanilla Townie]Welcome, XXXX, to Mini ####! Your role is [color=#008800][b]Vanilla Townie.[/b][/color]

You win when all mafia members are dead and at least one town member remains alive.[/area]

[area=Town Night 1 Watcher]Welcome, XXXX, to Mini ####! Your role is [color=#008800][b]Town Night 1 Watcher.[/b][/color]

On Night 1, you may target another player. You will learn who, if anyone, targeted your target with an action that night. If your action fails for any reason, you will receive "Your action failed, and you did not receive a result."

You win when all mafia members are dead and at least one town member remains alive.[/area]

[area=Town Even-Night Tracker]Welcome, XXXX, to Mini ####! Your role is [color=#008800][b]Town Even-Night Tracker.[/b][/color]

On even-numbered nights (2, 4, etc.), you may target another player. You will learn who, if anyone, your target targeted with an action. If your action fails for any reason, you will receive "Your action failed, and you did not receive a result."

[area=Town One-Shot Bulletproof Night 3 Doctor]Welcome, XXXX, to Mini ####! Your role is [color=#008800][b]Town One-Shot Bulletproof Night 3 Doctor.[/b][/color]

On Night 3, you may target another player. That player will be protected from one kill.

[area=Town Night 3 Loyal Jailkeeper]Welcome, XXXX, to Mini ####! Your role is [color=#008800][b]Town Night 3 Loyal Jailkeeper.[/b][/color]

On Night 3, you may target another player. They will be protected from all kills, and any actions they attempt will be prevented. If you target a player who is not the same alignment as you, your action will fail.

[area=Mafia Multitasking Novice Rolecop]Welcome, XXXX, to Mini ####! Your role is [color=#FF0000][b]Mafia Multitasking Novice Rolecop.[/b][/color] Your partner is YYYY, [color=#FF0000][b]Mafia Informed[/b][/color]. You share a private topic (link) that you may talk in at any time while you are alive, and you share a factional kill that one of your members may carry out each night.

Each night, you may target another player. You will learn that player's role (though not their alignment). If your action fails for any reason, you will receive "Your action failed, and you did not receive a result." You may not use your action on Night 1.
You may take multiple actions in the same night. This includes using a personal action and a factional kill at the same time.

You win when the mafia control 50% of the town or nothing can prevent this.[/area]

[area=Mafia Informed]Welcome, XXXX, to Mini ####! Your role is [color=#FF0000][b]Mafia Informed.[/b][/color] Your partner is YYYY, [color=#FF0000][b]Mafia Multitasking Novice Rolecop[/b][/color]. You share a private topic (link) that you may talk in at any time while you are alive, and you share a factional kill that one of your members may carry out each night.

You are informed that there is a Town Night 1 Watcher in the game. This information will be redacted if you ever flip.

You win when the mafia control 50% of the town or nothing can prevent this.[/area]
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:00 am

Post by northsidegal »

i would change"each night you may target another player" in the novice rolecop role PM to "each night starting from night 2" or something else to consolidate that sentence and not really do a bait and switch later.

also, mod will need to make sure to clarify daytalk enabled for all private threads if that's what you're going for.

things fall apart
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:07 am

Spoiler: Role PM's
Vanilla Townie.

Town Night 1 Watcher.

Town Even-Night Tracker.

Town One-Shot Bulletproof Night 3 DoctorWelcome, XXXX, to Mini ####! Your role is

Your partner is YYYY,
Mafia Informed

Each night, except for Night 1, you may target another player. You will learn that player's role (though not their alignment). If your action fails for any reason, you will receive "Your action failed, and you did not receive a result."

Mafia Informed.
Your partner is YYYY,

Spoiler: Code
Vanilla Townie.

Town Night 1 Watcher.

Town Even-Night Tracker.

Your partner is YYYY,
Mafia Informed

Each night, except for Night 1, you may target another player. You will learn that player's role (though not their alignment). If your action fails for any reason, you will receive "Your action failed, and you did not receive a result."

Mafia Informed.
Your partner is YYYY,

Fixed.

And yes, this game was intended to have daytalk. I don't think there's a standard for pre-designed games as to whether the designer or the mod decides if there should be daytalk, but I think all games should have daytalk so I would encourage whoever gets this setup to use it here :P
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:14 am

Post by northsidegal »

I'm impartial either way on daytalk here (a trend you may be noticing), although I do think that it's a design decision rather than a mod decision.

/pass

things fall apart

Return to “Completed Game Reviews”