She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Virtute Ex Machina
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:25 am

Post by Gypyx »

No it also doesn't really work...

Help me review persons
White Flag : Carebear Edition is in signups ! (4/13) sign up if you want a low pressure, high friendliness game !

bottom text
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: she/her, not they

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:32 am

Post by Isis »

I find kind of appealing actually
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Gypyx
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Virtute Ex Machina

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:45 am

Post by Gypyx »

Then the mafia rolestopper would need to be replaced, how about by a 2-shot Simple Disloyal Watcher?
White Flag : Carebear Edition is in signups ! (4/13) sign up if you want a low pressure, high friendliness game !

bottom text
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:56 am

Post by Isis »

Multiple roles that punish solo scum is kind of swingy, but disloyal hider and Lazy are both comeback mechanisms for town. The backup roleblocker probably gets specced town pretty reliably so combined with the FN that is two clears which stabilizes this a lot compared to the original setup which doesn't clear much of anything if everyone misses and where everything sounds dubious (I think backup babysitter will get specced town less than backup roleblocker because backup roleblocker is a more helpful design building block).
I think this is a little more powerful for town than the original setup which FL said he was already coming around to. So I think it's fine? I'm somewhat accepting of somewhat scumsided stuff sometimes as a predisposition.

Some bitsy things: it's impossible for the Lazy player to run out of shots in games that don't have a bloodless night, I counted that up when I first saw the setup. When the two roles each had distinct strengths and weaknesses I thought that was fine since the shots still meaningfully restricted how much each ability gets used, but Motion Detector is inferior [most of the time, enough of the time round it up to all of the time] to tracker so it'd be preferable to gate only the more powerful role. So Town Lazy Motion Detector 2-shot Tracker.

Other bitsy thing: Two instances of informed on the JOAT is going to let imaginations run wild when the explanation is more pedestrian than it seems. I think it'd be preferable to move the informed modifier over to one of the other two mafia slots, preferably the rolestopper.

What makes you feel it "doesn't really work"?

pedit: Um, I'm not sure what's particularly wrong with the rolestopper, but I think a watcher is ok too.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:59 am

Post by Flavor Leaf »

I actually like the setup on 24 a lot better than the original.

Are you referring to the Rolestopper needing to be replaced? I’m not sure you have to do so?

If town has a full blocker and a backup roleblocker, i think it’s totally fine for the Alien/Rolestopper to exist.

PEdit:
I’m happy Isis touched on the not needing to change Rolestopper if you don’t want to.

Yeah, I got unexpectedly busy yesterday, but I like where this setup has gone a lot.
Gypyx
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Virtute Ex Machina

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:05 am

Post by Gypyx »

I could just take down the personal modifier, yeah i'll do that

So :

Town Combined Friendly Neighbour Roleblocker
Town Backup Roleblocker
Town Roaming Detective
Town Lazy Odd-Night Tracker Even-Night Motion Detector
Town Disloyal Hider

Mafia Novice 1-shot Rolestopper
Mafia Night 1,2 JOAT (Neighborizer, Rolecop, Alien, Watcher, Activated Informed), knows that thier activated information tells them all the modifiers that town has
Mafia Informed (knows that the mafia JOAT's informed ability tells him all of the modifiers owned by town)

bottom text
Gypyx
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Virtute Ex Machina

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:09 am

Post by Gypyx »

Just that the personal lost all it's purpose

bottom text
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:11 am

Post by Isis »

Ah, right
"Well, I..."
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:24 am

Post by Flavor Leaf »

Yeah, I like it, and I think it’s pretty similar to your original concept.

I definitely think people are going to say it’s lean town, but there’s enough there on the scum side to fully take advantage. If scum can avoid Night Actions, they will be rewarded for it.

I’m happy with this, Isis, so if you don’t see any glaring issues, I’m happy to clear it.
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:27 am

Post by Flavor Leaf »

In post 27, Gypyx wrote:Then the mafia rolestopper would need to be replaced, how about by a 2-shot Simple Disloyal Watcher?
I prefer the rolestopper, as I think it gives scum more agency and security for a night, where as the simple disloyal just is able to hit vanillas. I believe there’s the watcher ability in the JOAT as well, if I’m not misremembering, so I just think the 1 shot Rolestop is really great for the setup.
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:28 am

Post by Flavor Leaf »

In post 27, Gypyx wrote:Then the mafia rolestopper would need to be replaced, how about by a 2-shot Simple Disloyal Watcher?
I prefer the rolestopper, as I think it gives scum more agency and security for a night, where as the simple disloyal just is able to hit vanillas. I believe there’s the watcher ability in the JOAT as well, if I’m not misremembering, so I just think the 1 shot Rolestop is really great for the setup.
Gypyx
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Virtute Ex Machina

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:35 am

Post by Gypyx »

Rolestopper it is then

bottom text
Gypyx
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Virtute Ex Machina

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:38 am

Post by Gypyx »

I'll start pre-writing the role PM's by the way

bottom text
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:45 am

Post by Isis »

yea /pass

A couple of these role PM may need some attention to precision with how they're written.
"Well, I..."
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:10 pm

Post by Flavor Leaf »

Yeah, let us see the Role PM’s, then once that’s all good, you’ll be good to go.
Gypyx
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Virtute Ex Machina

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:56 pm

Post by Gypyx »

Town Combined Roleblocker Friendly NeighbourWelcome ! You are a
Town Combined Roleblocker Friendly Neighbour

You may each night target a player, you will both

- make the moderator send a message to your target, confirming you as town
- prevent your target from taking any actions this night

Your goal is to eleminate every threat to the town, you may find the game thread here

FN message :

You know that [FRIENDLY NEIGHBOUR] is aligned with the
Town

Town Backup RoleblockerWelcome ! You are a
Town Backup Roleblocker

If a roleblocker dies, you will become able to each night, target a player, that target will be prevented from taking any actions this night

Your goal is to eleminate every threat to the town, you may find the game thread here

Town Roaming DetectiveWelcome ! You are a
Town Roaming Detective

You may each night, target a player that you haven't targeted yet, you will learn if your target has performed any killing actions yet

[TARGET] has performed a kill

[TARGET] didn't perform any kill

You didn't receive any result, your action failed

Town Lazy Odd-Night Tracker Even-Night Motion DetectorWelcome ! You are a

On odd-Nights (night 1,3,5...) you may target a player, you will learn who your targeted visited, if he visited anyone

On even-Nights (night 2,4,6...) you may target a player, you will learn if any actions were performed by or on your target

If there is only one anti-town player left, your actions will fail

[TARGET] visited [name of visisted]

[TARGET] didn't visit anyone

You detected motion on [TARGET]

You didn't detect any motion on [TARGET]

Town Disloyal HiderWelcome ! You are a
Town Disloyal Hider

You may each night, target a player, you will hide behind that player, making you immune to kill directed at you, but you will die if your target is killed, your action will only be successful if it targets a player who isn't aligned with you

Vanilla TownieWelcome ! You are a
Vanilla Townie

You have no other power than your voice and your vote

Mafia Novice 1-shot RolestopperWelcome ! You are a
Mafia Novice 1-Shot Rolestopper

You are part of the mafia along with [PLAYER] and [PLAYER] You may talk in your factional chat here, you may also chose to perform the factional nightkill

You may once during the game, on any other night than night 1, target a player, any actions directed at your target will fail

You win if you wipe you the town, or if nothing can prevent this, you may find the game thread here

Mafia Night 1,2 JOAT (Neighborizer ; Rolecop ; Alien ; Watcher ; Activated informed)Welcome ! You are a
Mafia Night 1,2 JOAT (Neighborizer ; Rolecop ; Alien ; Watcher ; Activated informed)

You are part of the mafia along with [PLAYER] and [PLAYER] You may talk in your factional chat here, you may also chose to perform the factional nightkill

On night 1 and 2, you may perform any of the following 1-shot abilities
-Neighborize a player, your target will be added to your Neighborhood
-Rolecop a player, you will learn thier full role but not thier alignement
-Alien a player, they will be prevented from taking any actions and any actions targeting them will fail
-Watch a player, you will know the identity of everyone who has visited your target
-Receive information

You win if you wipe you the town, or if nothing can prevent this, you may find the game thread here

Results (oh god there's a lot)

You have successfully added [TARGET] to your neighborhood, you may find it [HERE]

You have been added to a neighborhood ! You may find it [HERE]

[TARGET] is a [ROLE OF THE TARGET]

[TARGET] has been visited by (list of visitors)

[TARGET] hasn't been visited by anyone

You know that town power owns the following modifiers, and only those

Backup
Combined
Disloyal
Even-Night
Lazy
Odd-Night
Roaming

Mafia InformedWelcome ! You are a
Mafia Informed

You know that there is a mafia night 1,2 JOAT with an activated informed ability, this ability will tell him all the modifiers owned by town power roles, this information will be redacted upon your flip

bottom text
Gypyx
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Virtute Ex Machina

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:57 pm

Post by Gypyx »

look at that absolute monster of a role PM for the mafia JOAT lmao

bottom text
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:09 pm

Post by Isis »

Without calling one spelling more correct than another, since the mafiascum wiki uses the American spelling for neighbour/neighbor, you should use the American spelling, because if an American player draws the role and claims using the British spelling and players find places Gypyx used the British spelling it confirms the FN town in a way that isn't particularly based on mafia.
"Well, I..."
Gypyx
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Virtute Ex Machina

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:17 pm

Post by Gypyx »

Town Combined Roleblocker Friendly NeighborWelcome ! You are a
Town Combined Roleblocker Friendly Neighbor

You may each night target a player, you will both

- make the moderator send a message to your target, confirming you as town
- prevent your target from taking any actions this night

FN message :

You know that [FRIENDLY NEIGHBOR] is aligned with the
Town

Town Backup RoleblockerWelcome ! You are a
Town Backup Roleblocker

If a roleblocker dies, you will become able to each night, target a player, that target will be prevented from taking any actions this night

Town Roaming DetectiveWelcome ! You are a
Town Roaming Detective

You may each night, target a player that you haven't targeted yet, you will learn if your target has performed any killing actions yet

[TARGET] has performed a kill

[TARGET] didn't perform any kill

You didn't receive any result, your action failed

Town Lazy Odd-Night Tracker Even-Night Motion DetectorWelcome ! You are a

On odd-Nights (night 1,3,5...) you may target a player, you will learn who your targeted visited, if he visited anyone

On even-Nights (night 2,4,6...) you may target a player, you will learn if any actions were performed by or on your target

If there is only one anti-town player left, your actions will fail

[TARGET] visited [name of visisted]

[TARGET] didn't visit anyone

You detected motion on [TARGET]

You didn't detect any motion on [TARGET]

Town Disloyal HiderWelcome ! You are a
Town Disloyal Hider

You may each night, target a player, you will hide behind that player, making you immune to kill directed at you, but you will die if your target is killed, your action will only be successful if it targets a player who isn't aligned with you

Vanilla TownieWelcome ! You are a
Vanilla Townie

You have no other power than your voice and your vote

Mafia Novice 1-shot RolestopperWelcome ! You are a
Mafia Novice 1-Shot Rolestopper

You may once during the game, on any other night than night 1, target a player, any actions directed at your target will fail

Mafia Night 1,2 JOAT (Neighborizer ; Rolecop ; Alien ; Watcher ; Activated informed)Welcome ! You are a
Mafia Night 1,2 JOAT (Neighborizer ; Rolecop ; Alien ; Watcher ; Activated informed)

On night 1 and 2, you may perform any of the following 1-shot abilities
-Neighborize a player, your target will be added to your Neighborhood
-Rolecop a player, you will learn thier full role but not thier alignement
-Alien a player, they will be prevented from taking any actions and any actions targeting them will fail
-Watch a player, you will know the identity of everyone who has visited your target
-Receive information

Results (oh god there's a lot)

You have successfully added [TARGET] to your neighborhood, you may find it [HERE]

You have been added to a neighborhood ! You may find it [HERE]

[TARGET] is a [ROLE OF THE TARGET]

[TARGET] has been visited by (list of visitors)

[TARGET] hasn't been visited by anyone

You know that town power owns the following modifiers, and only those

Backup
Combined
Disloyal
Even-Night
Lazy
Odd-Night
Roaming

Mafia InformedWelcome ! You are a
Mafia Informed

You know that there is a mafia night 1,2 JOAT with an activated informed ability, this ability will tell him all the modifiers owned by town power roles, this information will be redacted upon your flip

bottom text
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:34 pm

Post by Flavor Leaf »

It’s spelled ‘eliminate’, and I think you meant ‘wipe out’ instead of ‘wipe you the town’, but I believe action wise, everything is there.

Pass
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:40 pm

Post by Isis »

The wiki for detective seems contradictory about how results should go for a player who attempted to perform a kill, but was unsuccessful. This setup has the possibility of a mafiosi trying to kill a hider but failing, and also getting roleblocked and failing, and I'm not sure those are treated the same actually, it maybe like how a tracker sees a doctor visiting an ascetic but failing to grant any blessings, but a tracker does not see a doctor who was roleblocked go anywhere. Your role PM contradicts the wiki but the wiki is contradicting itself so therefore any role PM would contradict the wiki and I need to ask FL, and if FL doesn't know we need to ask implo. And like maybe the wiki page could use an edit.

Sample role PM in the wiki: "you may investigate a player each night and discern whether that player has killed another player"
Also the wiki: "A positive result is returned from players that have actively killed another player, or attempted to kill another player but failed."
The answer very well might be that Gypyx's role PM is badass and needs to be pasted into the wiki over the wiki's previous one.

"Eliminate" is misspelled in the win condition of each town role PM, minor thing but good to clean up (anyone mentioning the misspelling as town is knowingly doing modkill-eligible behavior, but the british spelling thing can be unconscious which is why I'm more concerned about it)

The description for "Watch" suggests it could learn everyone who visited a target the entire game instead of just that night. Something that could only pose any issue for newbies.

Mafia Informed PM needs to say that the informed ability will tell "that player" or at least "them" what modifiers are in the game. Women and nonbinaries can roll scum.

There's a couple mispellings and typos in the scum role PMs but those are pretty immaterial.

pedit: Looks like I have quite a few more remarks than FL, but I'll take that to mean he understands your version of Detective to be most correct, which is fine.
"Well, I..."
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:42 pm

Post by Flavor Leaf »

I always thought that if the kill didn’t go through, they didn’t kill. Attempted isn’t killing, I guess was my thought process on that.

And yeah, okay, those definitely are 2 separate things that isn’t clear in the wiki.
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:43 pm

Post by Flavor Leaf »

That’s probably something that needs to be confirmed in general, because that kind of thing definitely will come up from time to time.
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:47 pm

Post by Flavor Leaf »

Gypx’s says Performed any, so even failed attempts on protectives would go through, but blocked ones like roleblocked, wouldn’t because then the action didn’t go through, so it wasn’t performed.

I made that more complicated than it needed to be.
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:07 pm

Post by Isis »

yeah I think I will log into the wiki and change the sample role PM to be closer to Gypyx. I agree with that interpretation.

A detective would want to throw someone in jail if there's evidence the cultprit shot someone who got medical attention before bleeding out, right?
"Well, I..."

Return to “Completed Game Reviews”