Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #78 (isolation #1) » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:43 pm

Post by Plotinus »

The antinoms should be private, though. Making them public is just pointless drama.
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #80 (isolation #2) » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:47 pm

Post by Plotinus »

I definitely think that people who use the nomination form should post publically that they're nominated someone and why and link to the game. I think it's great for this thread to be a celebration of people who have played awesomely recently.

I'm against antinoms being public and I tihnk if they just make the spreadsheet public then antinoms will be public too, which is bad, and also people would still only see that they got nommed if they checked the spreadsheet and probably not so many people would see it and also the thread wouldn't be bumped in people's egosearches.

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #83 (isolation #3) » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:05 am

Post by Plotinus »

Of course you want to read the antinoms. Who doesn't. We're humans who like juicy drama. But it's not a healthy impulse.

Drama doesn't make anything better. Hidden drama is much better than out in the open drama because it allows for saving face. It's harder to resolve something peacefully if everybody is watching and taking sides. You say that it's a game and that's true but many people put something of themselves into the games and are trying their best to win and an antinom is saying that somebody's best isn't good enough and that's not the kind of constructive truth that leads to people trying to get better it's the kind of destructive truth that leads to people getting discouraged and giving up.

Also, because we're humans, we're going to be somewhat more likely to nom people that we enjoy playing with, people who are charismatic or people that we like as a person and somewhat more likely to antinom people that we don't like playing with because we don't like their personalities. I don't think this is exactly wrong because if someone signs up for a game you're playing and you think "ugh not you again" then it kind of goes without saying that you don't think they deserve an award but hearing that a lot of other people don't like xxxx can prejudice people towards that player even if they didn't previously have a problem with them, and it can lead to ostracism.

In the games I've modded, I've been consistently impressed by players who aren't big names, many of them newbies, generally people on the edges not players in the centre of cliques or people that everybody already knows is good, though some of the people i'm think of are established enough to probably be on some people's "ugh not you again" lists, some of them people i don't particularly enjoy playing with, who played better than usual games either because of the way they used their roles or their reads were good or they worked particularly well with others in a way i wasn't expecting or they played a stronger game than i've seen them play before. Often, some of these "low tier" players were playing better games than the popular players who were playing along side them.

I think that players in the group that I'm thinking of are both more likely to get antinoms than other players and also to be more likely to be hurt by them, either in their desire to improve their games and consistently play to the potential that i've seen hints of what they're capable of, or in their desire to play at all.

If you think that people aren't going to turn public antinoms into an excuse to shit on each other then you have a very naïve view of human nature.

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #90 (isolation #4) » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:18 am

Post by Plotinus »

In post 88, T S O wrote:It's not like that, Fire. It's more a communal place for us to chuckle at the poor plays that people make, while they scratch their heads with rueful grins.

What about a mafia discussion thread that only allows self noms where the emphasis is more on laughing at ourselves? We've all had plenty of atrocious games.

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #143 (isolation #5) » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:33 pm

Post by Plotinus »

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #212 (isolation #6) » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:26 am

Post by Plotinus »

In post 211, zoraster wrote:all right. should be fixed.

alas it is not yet working.

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #214 (isolation #7) » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:29 am

Post by Plotinus »

I opened the image in a new tab and edited the url to remove the &format=image and it took me to a blank document, so that's why I thought it was still broken.

But now when I go back to the first page it shows all the nominations like it should so it's working now, thanks for fixing it!

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #253 (isolation #8) » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:51 am

Post by Plotinus »

If 2nds were still a thing I would 2nd that. Witch_Hunter's really great! I modded both of those games and I was really impressed with his play. I hope he sticks around and I look forward to my next encounter with him.

Return to “Scummies and Mashies Archives”