xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #121 (isolation #1) » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:17 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

are people now upset that we are using a Google Form to make the lives of the SSC easier and not have to wade through unruly code?

jesus fucking christ on a dill pickle yall get mad over E V E R Y T H I N G
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #122 (isolation #2) » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:17 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

I don't care about drama, love drama, drama's great

I just don't want to have to read it to do my job as a member of the SSC
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #126 (isolation #3) » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:31 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 123, OceanWind wrote:
In post 114, zoraster wrote:
In post 111, OceanWind wrote:Why even change the status quo at all? Nominating people in thread worked fine until now.

For you perhaps. Ask anyone who has done the updates for any period of time whether it worked fine.

I don't know who has done the updates for any period of time but sure, I'll ask you. What was the problem with it? It seems to me like the people updating just have to keep up with the thread and add people in whenever they see a nomination. That doesn't look particularly onerous and the thread pace normally seems to be fairly slow. Granted, the scummies committee is entitled to streamline their workload but ultimately that needs to be balanced with user-friendliness. I think the trade-off for the members is pretty high having to either open a form to see who's nominated for what or not seeing it at all.

Will the scummies staff consider updating the OP with the list of people nominated from the forms?

The old Scummies OP was a quagmire of shitty BBcode and walls of text. It took an obscenely long time to manage and a surprising rate of what I like to call "breaking the whole goddamned thread" by putting a bracket in the wrong place. Add that to the fact that we couldn't even manage it from our own accounts -- we had to log out and switch to Scummies to do anything -- and it became an onerous process that everyone dreaded and put off as long as possible. How do you get more user-friendly than "click a button and fill out a form"? How is this system not user-friendly?

Why does it matter who is already nominated or not nominated? If you think someone deserves a nomination, you nominate them. If they're already nominated, great, now we have two people who independently nominated the same person for the same thing, that gives the judges something to look at when judging. The only reason I could see for full disclosure of the nominee list is to allow people to counter-argue nominees, and that's on-its-face-dumb. If you can give me a good reason why people need to see the nominee list, I'll put it in the OP.

The other thing is that not having the nominees allows us to do
what I've been wanting to do for yeeeaaaars
which is have a "Scummies Nominees Announcement" event closer to the ceremony to reveal the shortlist of finalists and hype up the ceremony a bit more.
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #131 (isolation #4) » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:41 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

Okay, that's good enough for me. We'll add the nomination list to the OP.

If people abuse it to start fucking with the system and putting dumb shit in the OP, it's coming down immediately.

No, seconds are not needed anymore.

Self-noms, however, won't be recognized anymore.
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #134 (isolation #5) » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:37 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

bitch i get mad over S O M E T H I N G S
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #149 (isolation #6) » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:19 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

This thread isn't for policy change discussion, please go to the Site Ideas thread to talk about changes or with any questions you might have.
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #166 (isolation #7) » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:52 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

Hopefully tomorrow night.
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #170 (isolation #8) » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:47 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

Things got delayed. We'll be posting Scummies ASAP this week. Unfortunately, our skeleton writers group has had some delays.
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #174 (isolation #9) » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:38 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

I invite you all to offer to pitch in to help out if you want them out quicker. We had a dearth of judges this year, and we're waiting on one or two categories to get wrapped up.
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #176 (isolation #10) » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:15 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

Sorry that was defensive. I'm grumpy today!
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #203 (isolation #11) » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:44 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

@zoraster
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #225 (isolation #12) » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:15 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

We've had plenty of people sign up to help write it, then flake

so basically, once again, it's UT & I left backstage going "uhhhhhhhhhh?" because every year, people flake and leave it to us to write. SleepyKrew has written several sections but there's no motivation to finish it backstage and my personal life is too busy to do it

It's likely we will consider scrapping the ceremony
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #240 (isolation #13) » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:07 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

Target date for the ceremony is Saturday. Huge thanks to Drixx, Nacho, Cheetory, and SleepyKrew for banging it out backstage. It's not anyone's fault -- Drixx was only handling a portion of the writing, SleepyKrew was the only other person who actually had backstage access and he did a ton as well, it just sort of sat there for awhile without anyone paying attention to it.

The main thing is that it's a little hard to see how much work this shit takes. In most years in the past, Untrod Tripod & I have gone, "ALRIGHT, WE HAVE A HANDLE OF WHISKEY AND OUR LAPTOPS, LET'S DO THIS!" but doing that every year for five years takes its toll and we're just not in a place to be doing that anymore, especially as more and more new people have joined the site. The content we would write and the personalities we would feature today would be less relevant to the site culture than they were, say, three years ago.

It's unusually late this year, though every year, it has slowly gotten bumped further and further back from target windows. Like we said, we do love the ceremony and think it's an important endeavor, but EVERY YEAR we have delays, and EVERY YEAR we have people complain about it and then volunteer to help out the following year, and then EVERY YEAR we still have delays anyway. It's veering into "more trouble than it's worth" territory.
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #243 (isolation #14) » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:37 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

Winners aren't chosen until mid-to-late January or early February, so there's only a few weeks of time available. Generally, though, winners don't affect the other half of the ceremony, which is usually skits and jokes. Winners really don't even affect most of the awards blocks, because we know who the presenters are going to be ahead of time.
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #245 (isolation #15) » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:46 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

Psyche, with all due respect, you bowed out of your writing duties because the Scummies Steering Committee was not on board with just giving you an entirely blank check to write whatever you wanted with no supervision whatsoever. You said you had something mostly written, and we asked to see it, and you quit. We weren't going to just wait until the last second because if we did, and what you wrote wasn't okay or what we wanted, we would have wasted both your time and effort AND would then be stuck scrambling with no outline or direction or rough draft.

Nobody will ever be given a blank check to write whatever they want. The SSC, and by extension zoraster, will have to approve things along the way.
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #248 (isolation #16) » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:44 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

This year was very much a hands off year. The writing just got started *yesterday*. There has been a gap for weeks. We'll see how it happens next year, but the organization and constant hounding of writers that happens
every year
is why I think it's more trouble than it is worth. EVERY YEAR, I step back and let writers handle it for the most part, and EVERY YEAR, the ceremony is late or delayed or just doesn't get done until I do a large portion of it. I'm not immediately going, "I don't want to do the Scummies anymore, so we won't do them". I'm going, "Look, I've tried becoming hands off most years recently, and every year, things crash and burn and are just a chaotic headache that is not worth the effort organizing".
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #303 (isolation #17) » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:47 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

We had an award for that. It was removed.
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #307 (isolation #18) » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:30 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

There's a whole thread where we announce changes and take feedback where it was all explained here.

The specific post with the 2016 award cuts/revamps are listed here.
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #349 (isolation #19) » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:38 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

Mish Mash games can't be nominated for Scummies. You can see what the Mish Mash awards are going to be. They are judged/treated separately. Ping xofelf & CuddlyCaucasian for more info.
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #378 (isolation #20) » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:46 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

can you like describe it a little bit
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #447 (isolation #21) » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:59 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.ph ... 1#p5778751

there's the reasoning for removing best IC
In post 499, Scummies wrote:The
Best IC Player
category is being rolled into
Professor Mafia
, and the definition for the award is changing. The change for this award was two-fold. Number one, we saw a dearth of nominees and competition in the Best IC category and realized it was mostly the same one or two players being nominated every year. We didn't want the award to get stale, as we felt putting in time to help people learn to play the game was valuable and should be rewarded. But... number two, Professor Mafia was already a role that, in essence, rewarded people for contributing to the mafia community by helping people learn or understand the game better! With Professor Mafia being a Body of Work award anyway, we think allowing contributions as an IC in a newbie game to be considered in the judging process will allow for a wider array of nominees and keep the judging for the category away from being a contest of "Whose one-off theory thread was bigger this year?"
In addition
, we are stripping the following from the "Professor Mafia" award:
  • Best Contribution to Mafia Discussion/The wiki
    -> Best Teacher & Contributor to Mafia Discussion
  • Contribution to the wiki will no longer be considered for the award
  • Judges will focus on body of work more than a single individual thread or post
green shirt thursdays

Return to “Scummies and Mashies Archives”