Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3726 (ISO) » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:00 pm

Post by Flubbernugget »

So, the Mafia Discussion forum here has a thread expressing a concern for the town win rates being in decline. I think there's a lot that the scum team was able to capitalize on that was in bad style on behalf of the town, and I'd like to talk about some of the things that happened in this game. I want to make sure nobody thinks I'm crossing the line between criticism and insult before doing so.

I don't want to mention players by name (though I do want to mention points that would identify players if someone else were to read this game), and I don't want to talk about post volume, or other issues that may be controversial/attributed to playstyle. I think that my being scum in this game has a testament in it that I am posting in good faith, and don't have any gripes with any players on a personal level.

Would anybody be offended or otherwise against me doing a bit of an autopsy this way?
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #3727 (ISO) » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:02 pm

Post by Firebringer »

I feel like I already know what ur going to post
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3728 (ISO) » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:33 pm

Post by Flubbernugget »

I'm interested to see what you think that would be
mozamis
mozamis
Jack of All Trades
mozamis
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3729 (ISO) » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:49 pm

Post by mozamis »

In post 3726, Flubbernugget wrote:So, the Mafia Discussion forum here has a thread expressing a concern for the town win rates being in decline.
i've been playing for a while, and i'm fairly sure scum have always won more than town. It's hard to work out whos lying on the internet. No facial giveaways, no nervousness - or its harder to pick up on. Plus people are arguably just more...dickish on the internet, they use it as a way to let of steam, which is good for scum, they can let town tear each other apart.
Well played scum, dont think i got any of you lol
You've reached that age, Listy. 24, 25...Your muscles give up, they wave a little white flag of surrender and without any warning at all, you're suddenly a fat bastard...
mozamis
mozamis
Jack of All Trades
mozamis
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3730 (ISO) » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:50 pm

Post by mozamis »

sorry hopkirk
You've reached that age, Listy. 24, 25...Your muscles give up, they wave a little white flag of surrender and without any warning at all, you're suddenly a fat bastard...
mozamis
mozamis
Jack of All Trades
mozamis
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3731 (ISO) » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:56 pm

Post by mozamis »

once agin, its thing about "semi-lurkers".
"Moz, lurkers arent always scum!"
No - but how often are scum the BIG posters? Not often.
mozamis
mozamis
Jack of All Trades
mozamis
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3732 (ISO) » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:58 pm

Post by mozamis »

funny how monkey is being quiet lol
BuJaber
BuJaber
Mafia Scum
BuJaber
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3733 (ISO) » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:43 pm

Post by BuJaber »

I think people rely too much on meta and/or use meta incorrectly.
This game is an example of that.

For the record I was always against the day 1 lurker lynch in this game. There was so much content to analyse post lynch on other potential lynchees. Heck I was cop and even my lynch would have been better. (Though it would have been even more tilting than N1 vig kill - this was my first time getting cop ever as far as I can recall).
Mulch
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Gotta Go Fast

Post Post #3734 (ISO) » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:24 pm

Post by Mulch »

1) Lurker lynches are fine and a way to victory

2) Meta is underused and undervalued on this site. People just suck at using it. And shoulden't use it unless they...actually know the person's meta
Amrock#3784
sheepsaysmeep
sheepsaysmeep
he
Jack of All Trades
sheepsaysmeep
he
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: he

Post Post #3735 (ISO) » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:29 pm

Post by sheepsaysmeep »

meh i misrepped ucv's meta
Katyusha
Katyusha
Mafia Scum
Katyusha
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3736 (ISO) » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:37 am

Post by Katyusha »

i still dont think a spammy D1 was responsible for this loss
mozamis
mozamis
Jack of All Trades
mozamis
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3737 (ISO) » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:23 am

Post by mozamis »

why was i nk'ed?
BuJaber
BuJaber
Mafia Scum
BuJaber
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3738 (ISO) » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:21 pm

Post by BuJaber »

On mafia thread Flubber says because you were widely townread and difficult to get lynched.
mozamis
mozamis
Jack of All Trades
mozamis
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3739 (ISO) » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:05 am

Post by mozamis »

serg was scum! kinda...kinda...got one read right *CLUTCHES AT SMALL STRAW*
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #3740 (ISO) » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:17 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 3679, Mulch wrote:Holy townsided
>Calls the setup townsided.
>Scumteam had an absolute perfect win.
> :shifty:
sheepsaysmeep
sheepsaysmeep
he
Jack of All Trades
sheepsaysmeep
he
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: he

Post Post #3741 (ISO) » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:18 pm

Post by sheepsaysmeep »

scum were good
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #3742 (ISO) » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:22 pm

Post by Not_Mafia »

I think it was pretty balanced
Aseticiser + Back-up + fewer nights due to Vigs mitigates a lot of the Cop and Watchers power
Also, what is NM doing? Worst play I’ve ever seen.
I can't remember the last N_M post that wasn't bland, unimaginative and lame. Some shitposters are at least somewhat funny. You are the epitomy of the type of poster that nobody would miss if you were to suddenly disappear. You never add anything of value.
I'm guessing you haven't read the game and probably never will? Why even sign up to play?
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #3743 (ISO) » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:30 pm

Post by mastina »

Like, yes. The town had the strongest roles you can give a town:
Two alternating vigs (which for the sake of balance, are considered loosely equivalent to a single full Vigilante), cop, and Watcher are in fact three of the five strongest town roles we have in Normals. (The other two being Doctor and Jailkeeper, natch.)

...But you
also
have to keep in mind the scum had an INCREDIBLY powerful role--the Mafia Asceticizer. What that role did is that it could be used defensively (force the cop to get a No Result) OR offensively (essentially make EVERY SINGLE NIGHTKILL A NINJA KILL via forcing the watcher to get No Result). The scumteam got a CHOICE in which way they could play their star power role, and this allowed them to choose whether to focus on protecting each other or eliminating threats to them. (They mostly chose the latter if I recall correctly.)

And FURTHERMORE.

Even
if
--be it through an early vig shot or through a cop result--their star role was taken out early, the mafia had a Universal Backup...which would inherit the dead mafiate's role. And if the backup died first, then it wouldn't tell you what role it was backing up. The asceticizer also opened the door for the scumteam to make no less than three potential claims. They could have a scumbuddy claim ascetic townie, or they could claim rolestopper and have anything but a vig shot back their claim up, or they could just truthfully claim their actual role because while it was a scum role with clear scum utility it is not a role which is INHERENTLY by its very nature required to be scum.

The town was strong...but so too was the mafia. They were ridiculously powerful.

The game was, undoubtedly, swingy. No two ways about it. ANY game with a vig will be. No ifs, ands, or buts. Vigs are one of the most swingy roles in existence, the most swingy role singleball has. Cops and watchers both are swingy roles as well, and so too was the scum role depending on how well or how poorly it was used. But the simple fact of the matter is, swingy setups can still be balanced, and this setup was about as balanced as it could get given the unpredictability of how many differing factors there were.

If the setup was anything, I'd have called it scumsided--the mafia Universal Backup almost didn't make it into the setup.
In no realm was this game even remotely townsided, and the results speak for that.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #3744 (ISO) » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:33 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 3743, mastina wrote:essentially make EVERY SINGLE NIGHTKILL A NINJA KILL
*Essentially make EVERY SINGLE NIGHTKILL A NINJA-STRONGMAN KILL, actually.

Not that this game featured any protective roles unless you count a Watcher as one, but
had
it, the asceticizer would have served as exactly this: it would make the nightkill GUARANTEED to succeed (strongman),
and
it would make the nightkill GUARANTEED to not trace back to scum (ninja).

If you had a role which was BOTH a ninja AND a strongman, you'd be likely to call that scumsided unless you had a shitload of town power to counter it.

Well, you had a role which was effectively exactly that, sooooooooooooooooooooooo......
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #3745 (ISO) » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:38 pm

Post by mastina »

(Also, I'd like to point out that while there are in fact instances where the scum get HARD fucked over by N1,
the actual results of this game demonstrate it's two-sided
. I don't even have to talk about a THEORETICAL "what if?" for the worst-case scenario. All I have to do is point to THE ACTUAL FLIPS YOU GOT as evidence for why it was swingy in both directions--sure, the scum could have gotten fucked over, but the TOWN got royally fucked by losing TWO OF THEIR STRONGEST TOWN ROLES, and the scum via going with the ninja-strongman interpretation of their role essentially nullified whatever utility Not_Mafia could have had, and with the odd-night vig outted D1, they were thus shot before they could get a second shot off...trapping the game in evens, which favor scum when you have no conftown. So this game WAS the worst-case scenario for the town. No 'what if' needed.)
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3746 (ISO) » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:40 pm

Post by Mathdino »

Thoughts on people's actual play then mastina?

First time I've ever subbed into a LyLo.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #3747 (ISO) » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:44 pm

Post by mastina »

(The tl;dr version: Just because there are ways scum can get royally fucked over by D2 does not mean a game is townsided if there is an equal and opposite chance of a way for the TOWN to get royally fucked over by D2 to occur. It just means the game is
swingy
. And while the NRG does try to keep swing down to reasonable levels, a game which features heavy swing which is still balanced won't get rejected thanks to the swing. The outcome of this game was HARD-swung to the exact extreme of the scum spectrum where
everything
which could have gone wrong for the town did. That it happened--not just a theoretical possibility, actually HAPPENED--shows that the game was not designed as townsided, not even remotely.)
Mulch
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Gotta Go Fast

Post Post #3748 (ISO) » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:46 pm

Post by Mulch »

In post 3747, mastina wrote:(The tl;dr version: Just because there are ways scum can get royally fucked over by D2 does not mean a game is townsided if there is an equal and opposite chance of a way for the TOWN to get royally fucked over by D2 to occur. It just means the game is
swingy
. And while the NRG does try to keep swing down to reasonable levels, a game which features heavy swing which is still balanced won't get rejected thanks to the swing. The outcome of this game was HARD-swung to the exact extreme of the scum spectrum where
everything
which could have gone wrong for the town did. That it happened--not just a theoretical possibility, actually HAPPENED--shows that the game was not designed as townsided, not even remotely.)
Bullshit and illogical

“Just because one example happened means that it’s not ____”

Is wrong in any circumstance.

What’s more, this wasn’t swingy.

Unless you consider giving town 2 conf towns, a cop, killpower, and a watcher is “swingy”
Amrock#3784
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #3749 (ISO) » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:00 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 3746, Mathdino wrote:Thoughts on people's actual play then mastina?
Well to put it lightly, I hardcore agree with the sentiment that this was a town loss more than a scum win.

I can't say from an objective viewpoint how the scum played. I was biased the whole game, not to mention, while I read significant portions of this game I did not in fact read it all, so I don't even have the entire picture of the game to evaluate. So I cannot say they played to any skill level in particular. I can't say they played poorly, I can't say they played adequately, and I can't say they played well, since I cannot judge what level their scumplay was actually at. (I'll say I wouldn't rate them as EITHER above or below those three, but I can't say which of those three they were. So they were mediocre, the rating above mediocre, or the rating below mediocre; they were not MUCH HIGHER than mafiascum standard, or MUCH LOWER than mafiascum standard.)

However, from what I did read, the viewpoint of "town loss rather than scum win" does sound about right. Because it doesn't matter whether the scum were playing adequately or above. (Playing well, playing stunningly, playing don corelone team, playing god-tiered, etc.) I can see an argument being made for poorly/adequately/well (I wouldn't say they are below-poorly into dismally, or above well into stunningly), any of those three could be what they were, but it doesn't matter.

Because the town fucking sucked. :P

The town's level of play, by and large, was wrong in every way it could be wrong. You don't get "everything which can go wrong, does" in more competent towns. The town fucked up their nightplay, but also at every turn made fuckups on dayplay as well. (For instance, why did you lynch in mylo when you had no conftown? There
is
a school of thought where you either massclaim or you no-lynch and you don't do both, but in that case...why didn't you use the results of the massclaim to actually lynch the players indicated as scum from it?)

This is, not necessarily, the fault of any one player in particular. I wouldn't be able to name names even if I were inclined to do so, because again I didn't read ALL the thread and was biased in knowing the answers the whole time. Even if I could and even if I would, I don't think that it actually would be fair to blame any particular individual(s). Because sometimes, when certain players mesh together, the result is...

...Well. The result is this.

Towns need certain elements to succeed, and while every individual town player might have at least some of those elements within them, those elements need to be able to interact with one another; in this game, the environment was such that they were unable to, even remotely. If the scum contributed to this, I would call it a scum win regardless of whether it was a town loss or not. But from what I saw, I don't think the scum actually influenced things--the town literally did it to itself, no help needed. No subtle push. No nudge. No influence behind the scenes. No strongarm force necessary.

The scum did nothing to you to sabotage you.

You did it to yourselves.

Thus, town loss.

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”