osuka
he/him/his
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: he/him/his

Post Post #2225 (ISO) » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:01 pm

Post by osuka »

Glitch played an excellent game

"I would also like to reiterate my claim that Osuka is sort of obviously town" - rc about scumsuka
"don't tell anyone, but there's a reason why you're one of my favourite people to mod for" - datisi
osuka
osuka
he/him/his
Jack of All Trades
osuka
he/him/his
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: he/him/his

Post Post #2226 (ISO) » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:02 pm

Post by osuka »

@truth please don’t take any of what I said personally, I have nothing against you. You’re just super clueless I guess

Only one way to learn though. Keep playing the game and you’ll fit in with the rest of us idiots just fine

"I would also like to reiterate my claim that Osuka is sort of obviously town" - rc about scumsuka
"don't tell anyone, but there's a reason why you're one of my favourite people to mod for" - datisi
Truth
Truth
Goon
Truth
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2227 (ISO) » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:05 pm

Post by Truth »

In post 2226, osuka wrote:@truth please don’t take any of what I said personally, I have nothing against you. You’re just super clueless I guess

Only one way to learn though. Keep playing the game and you’ll fit in with the rest of us idiots just fine
Okay!

If anyone has tips or tricks for me to play better next time, I would be really thankful. What sort of fake role claims are normally good? I won't be doing mason miller ever again.
Dunnstral
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Goodfellas
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #2228 (ISO) » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:21 pm

Post by Dunnstral »

In post 2227, Truth wrote:What sort of fake role claims are normally good?
As town? You usually don't want to fake claim
midwaybear
midwaybear
Mafia Scum
midwaybear
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2229 (ISO) » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:23 pm

Post by midwaybear »

wow dunnstral did it again
mavsfan41
mavsfan41
Goon
mavsfan41
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2230 (ISO) » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:26 pm

Post by mavsfan41 »

Hey all! I’ve been following when I can. I really apologize for having to sub out especially as scum. I wanted to see this game in full, but alas, outside forces got in the way. I felt awful signing up only to request a sub shortly afterwards. Sorry mod and the participants.

Nice work scum team!

Sorry Dunn for putting having you sub in and take my spot, but you played it better than I ever could’ve!

@Deimos27: sorry again for subbing out of your game. But thanks for finding a replacement so quickly!
Blair
Blair
Mafia Scum
Blair
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2231 (ISO) » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:27 pm

Post by Blair »

In post 2222, Truth wrote:
In post 2208, Blair wrote:Nauci whyyyy :(

GG scum!

Truth, please never do that again. :lol:
Do what?
Don't lie about your role, as a vanilla townie, on Day 1, when any role claim at all was completely uncalled for.
“There is nothing so dangerous for anyone who has something to hide as conversation! A human being [...] cannot resist the opportunity to reveal himself and express his personality which conversation gives him. Every time he will give himself away.” -Hercule Poirot
mavsfan41
mavsfan41
Goon
mavsfan41
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2232 (ISO) » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:31 pm

Post by mavsfan41 »

In post 2198, Nauci wrote:Of course one or both were scum PR

Ugh I am dumb for incorrectly interpreting Looker's post I'm sorry town, as the last sane person in the game

Also have I really only seen scumstral? How do you always replace into scum?

Well played, Mavs
Thanks Nauci! :wink:

Glad to see my early pocket attempt worked so well and you survived long enough

Day 1 reads can last the WHOLE game and can be absolutely brutal to challenge later if you get a solid town read early on. Glad to know I’m not the only one to fall victim to one of my misguided town reads.
Nauci
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2233 (ISO) » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:35 pm

Post by Nauci »

I feel like I should just retire after this game

What's even the point if I can't be undefeated as town ಥ_ಥ
Blair
Blair
Mafia Scum
Blair
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2234 (ISO) » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:39 pm

Post by Blair »

Just lie about your record like everyone else does. It's easy! Here, watch:

"I never roll scum." - Blair, June 2020, while scum
“There is nothing so dangerous for anyone who has something to hide as conversation! A human being [...] cannot resist the opportunity to reveal himself and express his personality which conversation gives him. Every time he will give himself away.” -Hercule Poirot
Glitch
Glitch
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Glitch
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #2235 (ISO) » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:25 pm

Post by Glitch »

I have a question, particularly for Blair. You said multiple times that I was arguing in bad faith and maybe this is just me being uneducated but could you elaborate on what you mean by that and explain how I did so?

I'm asking genuinely to find out, not to say I didn't do it. Just trying to figure out how I argued "in bad faith."

I ask because I am wondering if if is something that is scummy but acceptable, or if it is actually like unethical playing regardless of alignment? Cause if it's the latter I want to identify it and fix it, and if it's the former I want to identify it and change my playing to strengthen my scum game. TIA

ALSO: MAD props to GL for nailing the scum team right away. I would love tips, review, and pointers from others on how I can improve.

Looker and others, interestingly enough when I posted my first wall someone called it out as IIoA and I had never heard of it. I searched it on the wiki and was like, "oh shit, he's right and he nailed me!" (I don't remember who it was but someone nailed it.) So at that point I started reading up on How to Town. :lol: I read Rampage's article and immediately started implementing it with my push on Cat Scratch and then NDmath and both seemed to get me town read better so I was really excited and stuck it out. Then when referencing Rampage people told me it wasn't the best advice so now I'm just learning as I go.
Glitch
Glitch
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Glitch
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2236 (ISO) » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:28 pm

Post by Glitch »

Ebwop

I got the feeling that arguing in bad faith is considered unethical play regardless of what alignment you are, but I dont know and understand enough to first of all 1) know what is meant by that statement and 2) know if it's just like lying: a moral compromise necessary due to the nature of the game.

Is it like that? An acceptable moral compromise? Or is it classified with using personal life excuses and "fake unavailability" to further your wincon?
Glitch
Glitch
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Glitch
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2237 (ISO) » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:29 pm

Post by Glitch »

In post 2225, osuka wrote:Glitch played an excellent game
This makes me really happy. There were a lot of moments I felt like I was playing great, and a lot where i felt like I had royally crashed and burned. Ha
Glitch
Glitch
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Glitch
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2238 (ISO) » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:15 pm

Post by Glitch »

In post 1969, Nauci wrote:VOTE: Dunnstral

who's seeing what I'm seeing
Nauci, was this post you realizing me and Dunnstral were a scum team? That's how I read it but I've been curious.
GuiltyLion
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2239 (ISO) » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:32 pm

Post by GuiltyLion »

hey gg all! Well played by the scum team, especially in 7p that was pretty tight for a while there, and there were some quality players in this PL. Thanks to Deimos for modding, was a smooth and enjoyable game!

Glitch if I have time later this week I might give ya some pointers. You had a really solid post or two at one point that pushed me off of you for D1 I'll go back and find it. I can't speak for others and I haven't gone and reread any of the 'bad faith' posts but usually I don't think that means you're playing unethically or anything, at least when I use it, moreso that you're assuming the worst / intentionally misinterpreting someone else's posts/arguments, and that's usually a scum behavior.
"I think I no longer believe in monsters as faces in the floor or feral infants or vampires or whatever. I think at seventeen now I believe the only real monsters might be the type of liar where there's simply no way to tell. The ones who give nothing away"
GuiltyLion
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2240 (ISO) » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:32 pm

Post by GuiltyLion »

sorry EBWOP instead of some* quality players, I should say *numerous quality players! Would love to play with any of you all again sometime :]
"I think I no longer believe in monsters as faces in the floor or feral infants or vampires or whatever. I think at seventeen now I believe the only real monsters might be the type of liar where there's simply no way to tell. The ones who give nothing away"
Blair
Blair
Mafia Scum
Blair
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2241 (ISO) » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:48 pm

Post by Blair »

In post 2235, Glitch wrote:I have a question, particularly for Blair. You said multiple times that I was arguing in bad faith and maybe this is just me being uneducated but could you elaborate on what you mean by that and explain how I did so?

I'm asking genuinely to find out, not to say I didn't do it. Just trying to figure out how I argued "in bad faith."
Arguing in bad faith, in this context, meant you were predicating an argument on a logical foundation that you did not genuinely believe, or that you had intentionally neglected to carefully examine before putting it forward to the thread.

tl;dr - "I'm not actually trying to understand what you meant in that post, I'm going to quote it and misinterpret it because I know the argument will sound persuasive."
I ask because I am wondering if if is something that is scummy but acceptable, or if it is actually like unethical playing regardless of alignment?
It's actually neither. It's not inherently scummy, because it's very difficult to tell the difference between a bad-faith scum argument, and townie confirmation bias. When I called you on it, it was a judgment call on my part - I interpreted it to be a bad-faith argument rather than confirmation bias. (I was right - you can't have confirmation bias about a Townie as scum, because you know they're innocent - but I couldn't have really been 100% sure at the time)

It's definitely not unethical play, either. It's pretty good scum play - you almost have to engage in this to some degree as scum if you ever want to convincingly push a mislynch. The art of perfecting it boils down to either A) being so subtle and persuasive that no one notices it's bad faith, or B) making it look like confirmation bias.

I believe the first time I accused you of it I singled out a single sentence that tipped me off - you might refer back to that if you want to develop this skill more. There was something in that post that tipped me off that you were fully aware that your case was stretching the facts.

You played well, and while some will say you didn't because *they* suspected you, the truth is you maintained about the perfect ratio of suspicion - you were far enough down the scum pile to avoid being lynched, while still suspected by enough people that no one was surprised you survived to endgame.
Dunnstral
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Goodfellas

Post Post #2242 (ISO) » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:14 pm

Post by Dunnstral »

It's always awkward when you're set up as this big townread on like day 1 and then everyone dies around you and you're still there
Blair
Blair
Mafia Scum
Blair
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2243 (ISO) » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:28 pm

Post by Blair »

Town usually succumbs to paranoia.

I think you may have benefitted a degree from the Gambler's Fallacy with Nauci and I, Dunnstral. :lol:
NorwegianboyEE
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
GLADiator

Post Post #2244 (ISO) » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:33 pm

Post by NorwegianboyEE »

Well played scum. That was a smooth victory. Town fell into shambles.
Norwe is spontaneous, has a stream-of-consciouness posting style, usually posts on catch-ups by commenting on past pages posts, gets rather fired up in certain moments in games, is relatively as playful as me in games and likes casual shitposting

- Bunno
NorwegianboyEE
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
GLADiator

Post Post #2245 (ISO) » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:33 pm

Post by NorwegianboyEE »

Truth, that was an awful play. Just claim your true role next time.
Norwe is spontaneous, has a stream-of-consciouness posting style, usually posts on catch-ups by commenting on past pages posts, gets rather fired up in certain moments in games, is relatively as playful as me in games and likes casual shitposting

- Bunno
Nauci
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2246 (ISO) » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:38 am

Post by Nauci »

In post 2238, Glitch wrote:
In post 1969, Nauci wrote:VOTE: Dunnstral

who's seeing what I'm seeing
Nauci, was this post you realizing me and Dunnstral were a scum team? That's how I read it but I've been curious.
Dunnstral was posting in the classic Dunnstral scum style at the time—shallow thoughts, quick, opportunistic bandwagoning on other players' suspicions, never really holding any view for more than a few pages

Unfortunately this is one of the few games where I tunneled HARD on someone because I just couldn't mentally process the concept that Truth would have post everything in his ISO as a VT (...and I still can't).
Nauci
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2247 (ISO) » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:40 am

Post by Nauci »

In post 2243, Blair wrote:Town usually succumbs to paranoia.

I think you may have benefitted a degree from the Gambler's Fallacy with Nauci and I, Dunnstral. :lol:
Honestly what are the statistics of Dunnstral reliably replacing into scum slots every time, even though way town slots request replacement than scum in the same games?

Dunn, are you straight up requesting scum slots at this point

Going to have to just PL you in the future

Also my early game is always way better than my late game. I don't make it to late game often. I was like 1-3 or so as scum and at least 13-1 as town before this QQ
NorwegianboyEE
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
GLADiator

Post Post #2248 (ISO) » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:43 am

Post by NorwegianboyEE »

10/10 would lynch/policy vig/tunnel the miller mason claim again.

- Bunno
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2249 (ISO) » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:55 am

Post by LicketyQuickety »

Don't know why you viged me Blair, but it's not like I can do anything about it now.
I was anything worse than you! Anything worse than you was I!

You was doided teh aposit_tisopa het dedoid saw em.

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”