PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #3525 (ISO) » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:32 pm

Post by PookyTheMagicalBear »

In post 3523, Noraa wrote:ouch that scum pt. phewwwww. this game was a once in a lifetime experience where the scums didn't really even have to try :/
we were really confused! =/

we spent a lot of time trying to figure out who the traitor was. We never suspected Kasu ~.~
Show
"I hope one day I can openly play as wolfy as Pooky and get zero pressure for it grumble grumble."
-MariaR

"I can't even look at the game anymore.
That evil teddy bear has got everyone twirling by his thumb.
It's like witnessing an slow but unavoidable train crash you can't stop."

-Norwee
Noraa
Noraa
ze/zir
fluffy tsunami
Noraa
ze/zir
fluffy tsunami
fluffy tsunami
Pronoun: ze/zir

Post Post #3526 (ISO) » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:34 pm

Post by Noraa »

pfft they thought I was the traitor
Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.
Come play Guess that Scummer OR ELSE
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #3527 (ISO) » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:43 pm

we thought everybody was the traitor except Kasu :3

We r really not very good at the game :D
Show
"I hope one day I can openly play as wolfy as Pooky and get zero pressure for it grumble grumble."
-MariaR

-Norwee
Noraa
Noraa
ze/zir
fluffy tsunami
Noraa
ze/zir
fluffy tsunami
fluffy tsunami

Post Post #3528 (ISO) » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:44 pm

Post by Noraa »

I mean y'all won with zero casualties :/
Noraa
Noraa
ze/zir
fluffy tsunami
Noraa
ze/zir
fluffy tsunami
fluffy tsunami

Post Post #3529 (ISO) » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:44 pm

Post by Noraa »

which is p good O_O
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #3530 (ISO) » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:48 pm

it was not for lack of trying ~,~;;

imagine how kasu felt when he found out we tried to murder him ^_^
Show
-MariaR

-Norwee
MURDERCAT
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #3531 (ISO) » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:50 pm

Post by MURDERCAT »

It should have been a 1shot bp on the traitor
GTKAMURDERCAT

Retired from playing, find me on discord
Noraa
Noraa
ze/zir
fluffy tsunami
Noraa
ze/zir
fluffy tsunami
fluffy tsunami

Post Post #3532 (ISO) » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:51 pm

Post by Noraa »

In post 3530, PookyTheMagicalBear wrote:it was not for lack of trying ~,~;;

Umlaut knew this would happen so he made Kazu bulletproof. not even one shot. not two shot. infinitely bulletproof.
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #3533 (ISO) » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:53 pm

in case we like kept shooting Kasu and Bulge kept protecting him

^_^
Show
-MariaR

-Norwee
Kasumeat
Kasumeat
Goon
Kasumeat
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3534 (ISO) » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:14 pm

Post by Kasumeat »

In post 3530, PookyTheMagicalBear wrote:it was not for lack of trying ~,~;;

I figured that was pretty likely actually given how hard I pushed you early. I figured it was okay because:
a) I was BP
b) one missed NK doesn't really cost us much as long as it's only one
c) I thought the odds of town having a strong protective role was relatively low since our scumteam was presumably pretty weak
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #3535 (ISO) » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:15 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

In post 3500, the worst wrote:
In post 3491, mastina wrote:Hi I reviewed this game.
hello
was it picked up on that there was the potential to clear the traitor and that the checker was a really abstract way to balance around that?
was it noted that the checker & loyal jailkeeper should have confirmed each other as town via setup?

in general i just think i really strongly dislike the design concept, i'm curious to see what approach was taken to reviewing it
I was the backup reviewer, so can answer these questions:

- We missed that the Jailkeeper could soft-clear the Traitor. Umlaut was concerned that the setup was townsided, so it may have been allowed unmodified anyway. That interaction was hard to fix, I suspect; if you make the traitor non-Bulletproof, then we end up with scum being killed accidentally overnight even though they're massively winning, which is probably an even worse interaction.
- It was intended that town would confirm at least one player from setup clues. We weren't entirely sure which (it depends a lot on who dies first and who targets who), but it's the sort of interaction that typically exists in Normals and helps to balance them. (One of the things I look for when checking for setup balance is that there's neither too little, nor too much, of this sort of thing in the setup.)

I should note that I'm not confident in my ability to balance traitor setups, and pretty much said as much in the review. In retrospect, the setup might have been a little scumsided. The players seemed to think it was townsided during the game itself, although I'm not sure how much of that sentiment was genuine and how much was scum blowing smoke in order to cast doubt on the Jailkeeper's claim.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Kasumeat
Kasumeat
Goon
Kasumeat
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3536 (ISO) » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:18 pm

Post by Kasumeat »

In post 3531, MURDERCAT wrote:It should have been a 1shot bp on the traitor
I feel like this is pretty unlikely to come up since BP is quite common on traitors and barring something absurd happening like having a Claimed Loyal Jailkeeping making the scumteam think the Traitor is conftown, scum would be fairly scared to shoot twice.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #3537 (ISO) » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:27 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

That interaction was hard to fix, I suspect; if you make the traitor non-Bulletproof, then we end up with scum being killed accidentally overnight even though they're massively winning, which is probably an even worse interaction.
I strongly disagree that giving scum the ability to misplay and kill badly is as bad mechanically as the mod actively misleading the town by giving them bad information. In the former the scum have agency and the traitor has agency. They can both play well to avoid negative consequences. Town can theoretically play well, as bulge did with the protect, and get punished maximally by it.
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #3538 (ISO) » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:30 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

I should note that I'm not confident in my ability to balance traitor setups, and pretty much said as much in the review. In retrospect, the setup might have been a little scumsided. The players seemed to think it was townsided during the game itself, although I'm not sure how much of that sentiment was genuine and how much was scum blowing smoke in order to cast doubt on the Jailkeeper's claim.
Wrt this eh I don't really think it was super slanted one way or the other. I think the town played bad and lost because of it.
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
MURDERCAT
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3539 (ISO) » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:31 pm

Post by MURDERCAT »

In post 3536, Kasumeat wrote:I feel like this is pretty unlikely to come up since BP is quite common on traitors and barring something absurd happening like having a Claimed Loyal Jailkeeping making the scumteam think the Traitor is conftown, scum would be fairly scared to shoot twice.
If it did though
GTKAMURDERCAT

Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #3540 (ISO) » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:57 pm

Post by Not_Mafia »

In the immortal words of DGB; please stop having neighbours
Also, what is NM doing? Worst play I’ve ever seen.
I can't remember the last N_M post that wasn't bland, unimaginative and lame. Some shitposters are at least somewhat funny. You are the epitomy of the type of poster that nobody would miss if you were to suddenly disappear. You never add anything of value.
I'm guessing you haven't read the game and probably never will? Why even sign up to play?
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #3541 (ISO) » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:21 am

Post by PJ. »

In post 3505, Blitzo wrote:So what? The neighborhood wound up being completely useless aside from pissing shea off, who was town.
Maybe a neighborhood could be useful in certain circumstances but this game definitely wasn't it.
Neighborhood is a mastina pet role,she wants to normalize neighborhoods and normalize fake claiming mason so her playstyle becomes meta instead of game ruining. That's actually part of why I was like"oh neighborhood is 100% real" cause..its a mastinaset up. W/e bad down. Yeeted me instead of nm. Gg.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She/It

Post Post #3542 (ISO) » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:20 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

As much as I don’t like you as a player that’s a very valid take
I deserve punishment for trying to feed that foolish ambition
<Embrace The Void>

My pronouns are she and it, please respect that. I don't mind the occasional slip.
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3543 (ISO) » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:58 am

Post by Umlaut »

Actually mastina didn't suggest the neighborhood, I did. (Its main purpose mechanically was to lower the number of VTs to weaken the Neapolitan.)
“There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say, ‘There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say there are two kinds of people in this world,
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
say. Well, then there’s me.” — J.R. “Bob” Dobbs
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #3544 (ISO) » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:42 am

Post by the worst »

In post 3535, callforjudgement wrote:
In post 3500, the worst wrote:
In post 3491, mastina wrote:Hi I reviewed this game.
hello
was it picked up on that there was the potential to clear the traitor and that the checker was a really abstract way to balance around that?
was it noted that the checker & loyal jailkeeper should have confirmed each other as town via setup?

in general i just think i really strongly dislike the design concept, i'm curious to see what approach was taken to reviewing it
I was the backup reviewer, so can answer these questions:

- We missed that the Jailkeeper could soft-clear the Traitor. Umlaut was concerned that the setup was townsided, so it may have been allowed unmodified anyway. That interaction was hard to fix, I suspect; if you make the traitor non-Bulletproof, then we end up with scum being killed accidentally overnight even though they're massively winning, which is probably an even worse interaction.
- It was intended that town would confirm at least one player from setup clues. We weren't entirely sure which (it depends a lot on who dies first and who targets who), but it's the sort of interaction that typically exists in Normals and helps to balance them. (One of the things I look for when checking for setup balance is that there's neither too little, nor too much, of this sort of thing in the setup.)

I definitely see how this setup came about actually. I haven't really sat down and thought about how I would balance a traitor in a closed normal and it is *not* easy at all.

Thanks for replying, thanks mastina for swinging in as well.
who's scum? i haven't read up yet but like, it's me
--
intermittent v/la until late march
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She/It

Post Post #3545 (ISO) » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:54 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

also I think I should be able to 100% peg tw's alignment any time he replaces in since there was such a disparity between this and betrayal mafia
<Embrace The Void>

My pronouns are she and it, please respect that. I don't mind the occasional slip.
MURDERCAT
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3546 (ISO) » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:56 am

Post by MURDERCAT »

The worst, can you confirm whether or not you replaced in thinking it was a scum slot?
GTKAMURDERCAT

mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #3547 (ISO) » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:53 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 3541, PJ. wrote:Neighborhood is a mastina pet role,she wants to normalize neighborhoods and normalize fake claiming mason so her playstyle becomes meta instead of game ruining. That's actually part of why I was like"oh neighborhood is 100% real" cause..its a mastinaset up.
I believe you have a fundamental misunderstanding of the way reviews work if you're of the belief that a reviewer has this strong of a pull in terms of setup design where a reviewer will introduce a fundamental mechanic of the setup that was absent from the design--
We don't.

The only way a neighborhood is introduced by me is if I was the designer of the setup, and notably, it's been at least two years since I've designed a setup; I am, exclusively, a setup reviewer.

A reviewer may may may
may
, under very specific circumstances, suggest a neighborizer, if that role fits with the already-generated setup.
A reviewer may suggest turning masons into neighbors, if masons provide the town with too much power.

But mostly, a reviewer will, if anything, take neighborhoods out of setups--not insert them in.

Thus, if you see a neighborhood in a Normal, or for that matter if you see a Neighborizer in a Normal--it was almost certainly design intent from the setup creator. Who in this game was Umlaut, not me.

Also, as an aside: reviewers also should not let their personal playstyle philosophies/beliefs influence their reviews. If my beliefs were to influence my review, then I'd have axed the traitor due to my hatred of that role. But I didn't, because that's overstepping my boundaries as a reviewer; my job is to take what the designer gives me and fine-tune it into passable form, not fundamentally change core aspects of the setup.
In post 3535, callforjudgement wrote:It was intended that town would confirm at least one player from setup clues. We weren't entirely sure which (it depends a lot on who dies first and who targets who), but it's the sort of interaction that typically exists in Normals and helps to balance them. (One of the things I look for when checking for setup balance is that there's neither too little, nor too much, of this sort of thing in the setup.)

Pretty much this. Town roles leading to the confirmation of other town roles is pretty commonplace in Normals, to the point of being borderline-standard, as it is one of the main ways to give the town a needed boost to their chances, so long as it is in moderation.

I, personally, do not like traitors as a role, and they are pretty hard to balance and even harder to maintain the integrity of being fun in the generated setup (because they are, inherently, a role that reduces the amount of fun for at least one faction, possibly two if the town has to witch hunt when they see the traitor). The original setup was definitely scumsided, and we balanced it to be closer to balanced, although in hindsight we might not have done enough, in spite of the player sentiment of the game being townsided. We did also miss the jk-bptraitor interaction, which, while a fringe case that's statistically an anomaly, when it happens gives incredibly strong swing towards a scum win.
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #3548 (ISO) » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:14 pm

Post by the worst »

In post 3546, MURDERCAT wrote:The worst, can you confirm whether or not you replaced in thinking it was a scum slot?
i read nothing, i wanted to play with these ppl
who's scum? i haven't read up yet but like, it's me
--
intermittent v/la until late march
MURDERCAT
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
Survivor