hi, i'm large normal 242. and i'm over with.

schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox
Pronoun: he/it

Post Post #3800 (ISO) » Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:00 pm

Post by schadd_ »

another thing is when i refer to balance from a numbers standpoint, i purely mean how often id expect town to win. i dont think anybody really numerically analyzes normal setups, especially past micro size, its like too hard. i also just choose to think of this in terms of how i expect it to happen in practice rather than in theory, the thing i want for balance is for town to factially win as often as scum does. i also cant design around people playing their roles perfectly or even consistently well bc that doesnt happen, although i try to avoid things that would particularly suck under certain optimal decisions being made. there's just a lot of things with regards to avoiding claiming, claiming partially or misleadingly to scum, and generating a maximum amount of information from roles that people rarely do
free darius mccollum
todays featured user: Balki B

schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #3801 (ISO) » Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:01 pm

Post by schadd_ »

In post 3791, MathBlade wrote:I don’t think people reviewing expected me to break the setup like I did
how did you break the setup?
free darius mccollum

schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #3802 (ISO) » Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:22 pm

Post by schadd_ »

i think i got pretty abstract in my last few posts so idk if theyre helpful. there's games where roleblocker has a specific function it can have that fits into the setup. there's like a very mild charm in trying to figure out whether somebody who's like "i'm a tracker but ahh they keep blocking me lol" is telling the truth
free darius mccollum

MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #3803 (ISO) » Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:24 pm

Post by MathBlade »

In post 3801, schadd_ wrote:
In post 3791, MathBlade wrote:I don’t think people reviewing expected me to break the setup like I did
how did you break the setup?
NM disloyal vig + Loyal BG + voyeur = confirm three alignments
ScumBlade's eloquent performance left me utterly disoriented, debased, depraved and sent me spiraling into a horrific murky abyss with emotional turmoil and immense despair as my only companions until slowly I suffocate in my own gloom, surrounded by failure. I will never recover. -- Zachstralkita about Mini 1841
GTKAS -- MathBlade
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support

Post Post #3804 (ISO) » Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:25 pm

Post by MathBlade »

Like for this setup it was remarkably protown to mass claim.

Scum should have curb stomped us in a balanced setup.
ScumBlade's eloquent performance left me utterly disoriented, debased, depraved and sent me spiraling into a horrific murky abyss with emotional turmoil and immense despair as my only companions until slowly I suffocate in my own gloom, surrounded by failure. I will never recover. -- Zachstralkita about Mini 1841
GTKAS -- MathBlade
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support

Post Post #3805 (ISO) » Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:28 pm

Post by MathBlade »

If everyone mass claimed D1 assuming vig/voyeur not elimmed

D1 vig+voyeur hit same target. Loyal BG “protects” NM or gets outed. So sure they can get rid of vig on d1 but in exchange a scum team loses one BG gets and two conf towns (voyeur and check) or loses BG and another scum dies and voyeur conf town.

I don’t think that works well
GTKAS -- MathBlade
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #3806 (ISO) » Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:57 am

Post by PookyTheMagicalBear »

the only thing that was needed to "break" the setup was for the disloyal vig to claim on d2 and ask for protection and the protective to stay quiet and protect him because the mafia team has literally no way to interact with that.

we would've fired on the vig because we have no expectation there should be a protective given that we have no counterplay to the vig, our nightkill would've failed and then we would've promptly gotten stomped into the dirt even if we managed multiple mislims because lol disloyal vig?!

I really appreciate giving the mafia team a "loyal one shot bodyguard" as the only way to "interact" with a town disloyal vigilante.

It was kind of a extra hard "go fuck yourself" role.

Congrats to Luke/Enchant you both played lights out amazing in this game and especially to Maria who led multiple eliminations on scum and almost singlehandedly carried the town to the win.
Show
"I hope one day I can openly play as wolfy as Pooky and get zero pressure for it grumble grumble."
-MariaR

"I can't even look at the game anymore.
That evil teddy bear has got everyone twirling by his thumb.
It's like witnessing an slow but unavoidable train crash you can't stop."

-Norwee
Big Chungus Gaming
Big Chungus Gaming
Any
Goon
Big Chungus Gaming
Any
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #3807 (ISO) » Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:26 am

Post by Big Chungus Gaming »

I think the balance was townsided but acceptable with a regular novice vig fwiw. Like toeing the line but not too bad.
It did take a lot of mech outplay to counter.
Titus
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Moon Walker
Pronoun: She/her

Post Post #3808 (ISO) » Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:26 am

Post by Titus »

The balance was fine, if people played mafia scum lost this.

Luke's slot was such obvious scum but King Math said no so town lost.
Show
The scum had the misfortune of Titus being absurdly accurate on day one.Really quite impressed by that.~Drixx

You're letting Titus win the game by herself.Good luck now I guess.You have no chance to win.~Tywin

GTKTitus Part 2
Titus Academy

VLA Friday nights until Sunday morning.

All hail the Scum Empress!
Lukewarm
Lukewarm
Paragon of Mafia Hunters
Lukewarm
Paragon of Mafia Hunters
Paragon of Mafia Hunters

Post Post #3809 (ISO) » Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:31 am

Post by Lukewarm »

In post 3808, Titus wrote:The balance was fine, if people played mafia scum lost this.
The argument is that it was townsided, and that scum just happened to win despite that.

So saying that town could have won "if people played mafia" does not counter that point lol
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support

Post Post #3810 (ISO) » Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:44 am

Post by MathBlade »

In post 3808, Titus wrote:The balance was fine, if people played mafia scum lost this.

Omg what is your deal?

Seriously I died and said I was unsure EoD.

Seriously you tried taking the elim away from conf scum for your opinion

I wasn’t king math I was cooperatey and liked Math
GTKAS -- MathBlade
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support

Post Post #3811 (ISO) » Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:45 am

Post by MathBlade »

In post 3806, PookyTheMagicalBear wrote:the only thing that was needed to "break" the setup was for the disloyal vig to claim on d2 and ask for protection and the protective to stay quiet and protect him because the mafia team has literally no way to interact with that.

we would've fired on the vig because we have no expectation there should be a protective given that we have no counterplay to the vig, our nightkill would've failed and then we would've promptly gotten stomped into the dirt even if we managed multiple mislims because lol disloyal vig?!

I really appreciate giving the mafia team a "loyal one shot bodyguard" as the only way to "interact" with a town disloyal vigilante.

It was kind of a extra hard "go fuck yourself" role.

Congrats to Luke/Enchant you both played lights out amazing in this game and especially to Maria who led multiple eliminations on scum and almost singlehandedly carried the town to the win.
Fair. I still think N2 claim resulting in unavoidable 3 shots breaks it worse than N1 but yeah.
GTKAS -- MathBlade
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support

Post Post #3812 (ISO) » Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:45 am

Post by MathBlade »

Still broken that way too very much a blah setup.
GTKAS -- MathBlade
MariaR
MariaR
Alternatively,
MariaR
Alternatively,
Alternatively,

Post Post #3813 (ISO) » Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:48 am

Post by MariaR »

Sorry I couldn’t bring it home always nice when we find each other villa <3
I bet Maria is scum this game
~Firebringer
Na Maria isn't towny enough to be scum this game~
Charloux

MariaR goes for the uwu owo tsundere-dere look but you never know if she has a knife behind her back.~
Bitmap
furtiveglance
furtiveglance
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
furtiveglance
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3814 (ISO) » Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:54 am

Post by furtiveglance »

I feel like my elimination was pretty unfortunate. When people start to claim next time, should I just straight up claim? I didn't really want to, I wanted to hide D:
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support

Post Post #3815 (ISO) » Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:32 am

Post by MathBlade »

In post 3814, furtiveglance wrote:I feel like my elimination was pretty unfortunate. When people start to claim next time, should I just straight up claim? I didn't really want to, I wanted to hide D:
I think this depends on your role.

If you’re a scummy role (or one perceived as such) fake claiming can be disastrous but holding off can be okay if played right.

The main issue I had was that you fake claimed and were caught by a rolecop which is very like a guilty that you had to be elimmed at that point.
GTKAS -- MathBlade
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support

Post Post #3816 (ISO) » Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:33 am

Post by MathBlade »

You could hold off and say “nope not gonna” if it’s protown to do so but be prepared to explain later but also give something to the discussion.

Like a “not yet because (something moves game forward)”
GTKAS -- MathBlade
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #3817 (ISO) » Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:07 am

Post by schadd_ »

mafia thread viewtopic.php?f=90&t=89956

assuming pooky doesnt have any redactions
free darius mccollum

MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support

Post Post #3818 (ISO) » Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:45 am

Post by MathBlade »

In post 3813, MariaR wrote:

Sorry I misread you Maria :(
GTKAS -- MathBlade
MariaR
MariaR
Alternatively,
MariaR
Alternatively,
Alternatively,

Post Post #3819 (ISO) » Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:10 am

Post by MariaR »

In post 3818, MathBlade wrote:
In post 3813, MariaR wrote:

Sorry I misread you Maria :(
Used to it Math, no hard feelings, it'd be kinda mean if I got mad at you for reading me wrong. :giggle:
I bet Maria is scum this game
~Firebringer
Na Maria isn't towny enough to be scum this game~
Charloux

MariaR goes for the uwu owo tsundere-dere look but you never know if she has a knife behind her back.~
Bitmap
Prism
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Dispersion of Insight

Post Post #3820 (ISO) » Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:36 am

Post by Prism »

In post 3800, schadd_ wrote:another thing is when i refer to balance from a numbers standpoint, i purely mean how often id expect town to win. i dont think anybody really numerically analyzes normal setups, especially past micro size, its like too hard.
The issue with this is that "numbers standpoint" implies some level of statistical backing that is misleading. I definitely don't punch EVs for more than the most simplistic setups, but the reliance then should be on general heuristics and empirical experience, and it's important not to equate gut feeling with numbers without highlighting any intermediate steps.

I've designed my own ridiculously townsided setup, and it sucks to be wrong in a volunteer position that tends to only really get attention when things go wrong. I put this setup in discussion with other Normal games to suggest it's a more systemic failure. There's a strong aversion to any kind of predictability in normal games which tend to defeat the entire point of the queue.
In post 3799, schadd_ wrote:when i give scum a roleblocker it creates a small amount of scenarios where they pick good blocks (i think this generally happens by luck) and then a large amount of scenarios where they don't, and it maybe feels like it was their fault instead of my fault and so they dont offer criticism. i dont like that. i want scum to have truly actionable decisions to make instead of aesthetic ones and i think those are rare, and come more often from tricky town roles than like traditionally strong scum roles.
I think this one I can be more specific.

You're right that good blocks tend to happen by luck early, but
when players claim
, that luck gets reduced or entirely eliminated and scum gets adequately rewarded for forcing a claim out, or in the event a town player acted unilaterally thinking it was an apt moment, we want to provide adequate counterplay for scum/punishment to the town if the claim was preemptive while keeping the reward for town if they're correct. A simple concrete example of this structure is a cop claiming on Day 1 with no flips, versus a cop claiming on Day 2 with a flipped scum roleblocker. Few people would complain that the cop had their agency stripped if they're punished for the first, and few people would complain that scum had their agency stripped in the second.

As other people have stated, the only things keeping town in check this game was the even-night modifier and the assumption/fear that scum had some kind of mechanical counterplay, as opposed to them actually having mechanical counterplay. I want to really emphasize the normative point: Chiseling away at that assumption is not really something we really want to encourage as a matter of the health of the queue.
Prism
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Dispersion of Insight

Post Post #3821 (ISO) » Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:47 am

Post by Prism »

It's also probably worth responding to your point that I should join the NRG or run a Normal myself instead of throwing peanuts from the spectator gallery, though I imagine it applies to the critics more broadly. I am very eager to run games I've already designed at a moment's notice, and ran a normal with a setup by someone else that I was happy with earlier this year. However, I personally have a precondition for doing so that is irrelevant to the topic at hand.
Frogsterking
Frogsterking
He/him
Jack of All Trades
Frogsterking
He/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #3822 (ISO) » Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:39 pm

Post by Frogsterking »

In post 3814, furtiveglance wrote:I feel like my elimination was pretty unfortunate. When people start to claim next time, should I just straight up claim? I didn't really want to, I wanted to hide D:
I agree, I think ultimately most of the burden falls on Math and I rather than yourself.

Math forced a mass claim at a time it was suboptimal so that he could use his role like an investigator, and I didn't seriously consider that you may have claimed VT because you weren't sure what else to do.

I think you were for the most part caught in a damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't scenario because the two loudest players (Math and I) were not handling the situation effectively.
Bruce: Terry. I've been thinking about something you once told me... and you were wrong. It's not Batman that makes you worthwhile; it's the other way around. Never tell yourself anything different.
Terry: ...Thanks.
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support

Post Post #3823 (ISO) » Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:05 pm

Post by MathBlade »

In post 3822, Frogsterking wrote:
I agree, I think ultimately most of the burden falls on Math and I rather than yourself.

Math forced a mass claim at a time it was suboptimal so that he could use his role like an investigator, and I didn't seriously consider that you may have claimed VT because you weren't sure what else to do.

I think you were for the most part caught in a damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't scenario because the two loudest players (Math and I) were not handling the situation effectively.
I disagree.

I think my reads were poor but mechanics spot on since I was the talk of killing me in the PT.

If you fake claim fake well otherwise reap the consequences.
GTKAS -- MathBlade
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #3824 (ISO) » Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:11 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

I called D1 than Chungus was scum.

GG all.
If u dont elim me today, you are Minecrafters
~Vasex
When i open this game, and starting read, i immediatly close it because i starting strongly consider self last townie alive and others are just jesters.
~Enchant

Return to “Completed Large Normal Games”