Mini 1975: A Village in the Woods (Game Over!)

mutantdevle
mutantdevle
Mafia Scum
mutantdevle
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1250 (ISO) » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:28 am

Post by mutantdevle »

In post 1249, UC Voyager wrote:lol. once again, im scum and mutant is town PR. lol
It makes me think I should policy lynch you in any game we are in together and I have a PR :3
I mostly just lurk now.
UC Voyager
UC Voyager
Mafia Scum
UC Voyager
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1251 (ISO) » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:35 am

Post by UC Voyager »

In post 1250, mutantdevle wrote:
In post 1249, UC Voyager wrote:lol. once again, im scum and mutant is town PR. lol
It makes me think I should policy lynch you in any game we are in together and I have a PR :3
god. i have it worse with a user named boonskies who in 4 games in a row he was scum and i was PR.

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=73542
me: jailkeeper
him: mafia goon

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=73520
me: jailkeeper
him: mafia encryptor

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=74154
me: doctor enabler
him: werewolf doctor encryptor

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=74442
me: cop
him: mafia neighbor

(this is where on night two, just to be careful, i copped him, and guess my results. :P)
so...i don't get enough sleep
drealmerz7
drealmerz7
Survivor
drealmerz7
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1252 (ISO) » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:05 pm

Post by drealmerz7 »

eh, fern and UCV were pretty obviously the scums, the concede is *shrug*, understandable but not something I'd have done

I didn't get to read the moddump flavor yet, but I was liking what there was! I love flavor-based games, and had no issue with any of the ambiguity, hinting, operations of it all as far as I'm aware (it seems to have all been thought out ahead of time, that is what matters) - will play more from this mod no question!!

ohya, don't quote your PMs if you're not allowed to qoute PMs, though I think PM quoting maybe should have been allowed for this game? butya, even if there's no damage done, the rule has to be enforced because it's not a thing you can leave to discretion, it's all or none sort of thing
balance among all things
UC Voyager
UC Voyager
Mafia Scum
UC Voyager
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1253 (ISO) » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:04 am

Post by UC Voyager »

I always thought that the rule meant no quote tags saying it is from the mod. . . (unless stated it was from another finished game or something)

i dont play many flavor based games, and never been asked what the flavour was
so...i don't get enough sleep
PMysterious
PMysterious
Mafia Scum
PMysterious
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1254 (ISO) » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:53 pm

Post by PMysterious »

Hey, guy that was replaced out. I was fine with being replaced, but rather disappointed that the person that replaced me kept on calling you guys losers. That is all.
Show
PM, here with a calmer nature.

Modded Games
Open 469: Medical Mafia
Open 698: Stack the Deck

Currently Modding Games
Bins
Bins
Survivor
Bins
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1255 (ISO) » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:13 am

Post by Bins »

hahah
is this where I tell you to swipe right

gtkas
Hopkirk
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1256 (ISO) » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:10 am

Post by Hopkirk »

Are we getting scum/dead topics?
Socrates
Socrates
Mafia Scum
Socrates
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1257 (ISO) » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:10 pm

Post by Socrates »

The mafia requested not to release their PT, and there really isn't much in the dead thread. Most of the players who died just stopped following the game.

I had a lot of words on this game a week ago, but I never got a chance to put them down and the itch to do so has faded.

The main thrust of my own personal take away is the idea of considering roles from the perspective of creating intersting/fun game experiences for the player that actually receives the role, aside from just considering them from an overall game balance perspective. One problem with negative utility roles is that they kill player interest because that player becomes frustrated with the roadblocks placed on them. Even aside from an outright negative role, many players were frustrated that their roles felt 'useless', even when they actually weren't and in aggregate added up to a great deal of town power.

I still think this game ended up town sided, but evaluating that is difficult because 3 out of the 5 players who took over mafia slots were more or less dead fish, and the design of the game kind of hinged on the mafia making it through the first day. They were given three strong power roles that could have heavily controlled the game, but losing even one of them significantly handicapped their powers and their influence on the day game.

For all I know, a stronger mafia team could have steamrolled this game with little effort. :?

UCV eventually came back and started participating after avoiding the game for probably too long, but what happened with him gets to my second point. I consciously didn't provide the mafia with fakeclaims, and I did this because I wanted to see the mafia be creative and proactive in advancing their agenda, rather having me basically providing a clear road to victory for them ahead of time.

But this largely runs contrary to typical player expectations on this site, and the reverse edge of that sword is that the more detailed and intricate the flavor I write is, the more difficult it feels for the mafia to make something that fits. The reality is that the variable flavor was supposed to give the mafia free range to claim basically anything they wanted, but that open-ended style can be paralyzing for many, and many people already view playing mafia as a difficult burden.

This is the lens that I view the UCV modkill through. He actually could have pulled off his claim fairly easily. All he had to say was that he was a hunter and was applying his skills tracking wild animals to track the movements of people, but he felt pressured to match my writing voice and clearly struggled to do so. In that way, the modkill feels as much my fault as it does his. :\

Aside from that, this game floundered early on, resulting in last minute deadline scrambles both day one and day two, and then day 3 was it's own mess. I'm concerned about how much of that is my fault. This always happens around the holiday season, but this game felt especially bad. I'm curious if anyone has any input on what I could have done to keep player engagement higher.
Socrates
Socrates
Mafia Scum
Socrates
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1258 (ISO) » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:21 pm

Post by Socrates »

The next setup that I'm currently thinking about will be a little less ambitious than this. I will still be putting a bit of a narrative flair into it because I like to -- Sci-fi themed this time! -- but it likely won't be role madness.

I need to flesh it out a bit more, and I'll probably be waiting for team mafia to end because it seems to be monopolizing a lot of the player base, but any interested parties can feel free to pre-/in now if they want!

Edit: Expect day powers!
drealmerz7
drealmerz7
Survivor
drealmerz7
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1259 (ISO) » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:42 pm

Post by drealmerz7 »

pre-/in!

I love how you did things with the roles and setup and would agree that players tend to have poor attitudes in regards to their roles often and need to more realize they are a piece of a team and the mod has designed the game in a way (hopefully, if the mod is any good) that gives each role relevance/utility for helping town figure things out, even if it seems useless or is considered negative utility

this game had a lot of similarities to my maplewood village game and how I would like more games to be modded / people get a bit more used to playing things like it - because it's totally mafia with some great innovative-type things that really use the mafia model to a fuller potential
balance among all things
Ibuki Meowda
Ibuki Meowda
Goon
Ibuki Meowda
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1260 (ISO) » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:36 am

Post by Ibuki Meowda »

tough call to make! you still did a good job modding.
also the flavor was great, good writing.

I think playerlist activity is rarely the moderator's fault. Some games are just like that.
mutantdevle
mutantdevle
Mafia Scum
mutantdevle
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1261 (ISO) » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:41 am

Post by mutantdevle »

/pre-in for your next game.

I certainly enjoyed the role and flavour madness of this game.
I mostly just lurk now.
drealmerz7
drealmerz7
Survivor
drealmerz7
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1262 (ISO) » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:57 am

Post by drealmerz7 »

they don't want it released? that is pathetic and horrible

mods should not allow players to dictate this sort of thing, it's part of the game

socrates, you need to be explicit that you will not share PTs in your game descriptions I will not play games that allows players to hide shit
balance among all things
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1263 (ISO) » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:13 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

In post 1262, drealmerz7 wrote:they don't want it released? that is pathetic and horrible

mods should not allow players to dictate this sort of thing, it's part of the game

socrates, you need to be explicit that you will not share PTs in your game descriptions I will not play games that allows players to hide shit
I mean, you can always ask when you sign up.

I don't see anything wrong with this policy of yours. I prefer PTs get autoreleased as well. But many mods do not think so and since it is not standard practice anymore to autlrelease it only makes sense that you mention that upon signup for a given game.

Just my 2 cents on it
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
Socrates
Socrates
Mafia Scum
Socrates
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1264 (ISO) » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:25 am

Post by Socrates »

I respect that attitude, and I always elect to share the PT when I play, but I also respect the notion that many players see the PT as a 'safe place' where they can talk about things that they normally like to keep private. In some ways, an argument could be made that the only reason to monitor the mafia PT at all is to make sure no funny business is going on.

By default, I'll share the PT unless there's a good reason not to, and in this case there was, in fact, a good reason not to. I hope that reason never comes up again, and that's all I'm going to say on that matter.
drealmerz7
drealmerz7
Survivor
drealmerz7
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1265 (ISO) » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:35 am

Post by drealmerz7 »

yeah, to me that is bogus

it is PART of the game, through and through, and all players should have access to it

don't do anything in your scumchat that you don't wany people to see
balance among all things
Socrates
Socrates
Mafia Scum
Socrates
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1266 (ISO) » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:27 am

Post by Socrates »

Again, that's fair. But I already made the promise, and I'm not interested in betraying the trust of that particular promise.

And again, it's not just for purely game reasons that I agreed to keep what happened between the players involved.
Ibuki Meowda
Ibuki Meowda
Goon
Ibuki Meowda
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1267 (ISO) » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:28 am

Post by Ibuki Meowda »

Theory discussion =/= how a mod chooses to run their own game :3
drealmerz7
drealmerz7
Survivor
drealmerz7
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1268 (ISO) » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:31 am

Post by drealmerz7 »

all you're doing is saying "it's okay to behave like that, I'll protect you from being exposed for being a toxic crybaby" - that just perpetuates that sort of behavior in the future whereas if they were exposed they might shape up
balance among all things
Scummies
Scummies
Goon
Scummies
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1269 (ISO) » Wed May 16, 2018 3:38 pm

Post by Scummies »

Congratulations to the victors!

The game has drawn to a close, the jig is up! Some of you have lost, but others have won!

Take a few days, think about the game. Recognize what was best in your teammates and opponents, and consider nominating them for a Scummy! Players and mods in this game may be eligible for one of the following awards:

BODY OF WORK AWARDS

Best Mafia Catcher
: Also known as the Paragon of Mafia Hunters, this award is given to the single town player who, across all of their games for the year, exhibited the best ability for nailing those dirty scumbags and bringing the bad guys to justice while playing as a pro-town role.
Rising Star
: This award is given to the player that is a rising star in the game of mafia, showing great promise to join the elite echelon of mafia players. This award replaces both the Best Newbie award and Most Improved Player awards, and judges may consider elements of both those previous awards in deciding this award.
Excellent Moderation
: Also known as the “The Modfather” Award. This award is given to the moderator who, over the course of the past year, exemplifies the best qualities of a moderator in the operation of the game, including but not limited to quality and frequency of vote counts, organization of the game, dealing with issues that arise, keeping players active, and so forth. Judges may consider how challenging the games a moderator ran were, but they shall not penalize a moderator for only running more basic games. A mod must run at least 3 games to completion in the calendar year to be considered for this award.
SINGLE GAME - PLAYER

Most Cunning Manipulator
: Also known as the “Don Corleone” Award. Awarded to the player who has the strongest single game performance as mafia. In rare cases, where a player feels an entire scumteam gelled to create a strong cohesive scum performance, multiple members of a team may be nominated.
Best Performance Third Party
: Also known as the “Hannibal Lecter” Award. Awarded to the player or players that performed the most impressively in winning their game as a third party.
Most Memorable Event
: Also known as the “Kodak Moment” Award. Awarded to the player or players who were involved in the most memorable event in a game of mafia. Fake claims, funny claims, awesome exchanges, etc. may all be considered for this award
SINGLE GAME - MODERATOR

Best Setup
: Also known as the “Rube Goldberg” Award. Given to the moderator who designed the best setup. Judges may consider the roles involved in a game, how those roles interacted, how balanced a setup was, whether it furthered any particular theme, how the setup interacts with a mechanic, or any other factors the judges deem relevant. This award is distinct, however, from the “Best Mechanic” award in that it does not consider how good or bad any change to the basic way a Mafia game is played.
Best Flavor Text
: Also known as the “Paperback Writer” Award. Given to the moderator who wrote the most compelling flavor text. Judges should consider the flavor text of all parts of the game, including Role PMs and Day/Night scenes. Where appropriate, Judges may consider how well the flavor works with the announced theme.
Best Mechanic/Mutation
: Also known as the "Mad Scientist” Award. Given to the moderator who figured out the most compelling way to change the basic mechanics of the game of mafia, and/or created the most compelling new role or adaptation to increase player enjoyment. Judges shall consider both the basic idea behind the game as well as how well it was executed, and the uniqueness and quality of the role/adaptation.
SITE AWARDS

Game of the Year
: Also known as the “Player’s Choice” Award. This award is given to the moderator of a game. It is given in recognition of the overall excellence of a game. The Game of the Year award is a "catch all" award for the best overall game throughout the entire year, considering all aspects of the game from moderator quality, to the excellent design and composition of the game, to the performance and cohesion of the playerlist. A Game of the Year is meant to be the game that we can all point to later and say "This game was the best game the site could offer that year in terms of Design, Playerlist, and moderating capability." This is a PUBLIC VOTE. [/color]

The
2018 Scummies thread
is located here.
You may nominate a player or moderator for an award using this form.

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”