Amy Dunne
Amy Dunne
Mafia Scum
Amy Dunne
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3350 (ISO) » Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:31 pm

Post by Amy Dunne »

In post 3340, Jingle wrote:Actually, the comparison to watcher is very apt.

Watcher generates guilties by town playing well and being recognized as town, and punishes scum for making what would otherwise be a good play (killing strong town voices). It is a ridiculously powerful role and should not be used in many instances. When it is used one should always be careful how it is used.

The wagon analysis role is both harder to manipulate to use well and potentially more dangerous to scum, which is why there was literally a third of the game devoted to mitigating its impact.
I don’t necessarily hate mechanically complex setups (in fact, I actually enjoy them as long as I have a clue what’s happening) but hard disagree because you actually have to br caught visiting the dead to get caught as watcher. Here, voting can get you mech guiltied, so not at all the same thing. Only thing is my reaction to the guilty may have been different since I wouldn’t have been so pissed that that. Being mech guiltied just for voting, is what I take strong exception too. Mastina actually being SK mitigates it some but I think it’s an extremely unfair role to have. It’s extremely discouraging to scum to feel that your dayplay is completely irrelevant. Fact, is I probably endgame here without WA because I had made none of the kills, so only AC could have caught me.
Alyssa The Lamb
Alyssa The Lamb
Mafia Scum
Alyssa The Lamb
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3351 (ISO) » Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:33 pm

Post by Alyssa The Lamb »

I think you'd have to have next to no scum relative to town in order for that to function as intended, and even then if you have like 18v2, town can just make groups of 2 and they just need to correctly identify three TvT pairings out of eight in order for scum to have no ability to win the game
Amy Dunne
Amy Dunne
Mafia Scum
Amy Dunne
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3352 (ISO) » Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:34 pm

Post by Amy Dunne »

In post 3342, Jingle wrote:
In post 3332, Amy Dunne wrote:I almost didn’t add Ircher to the hood. I could have handled it differently but I just didn’t want to be a part of any hoods if I could help it, especially since it wasn’t necessary because both RCE and Dwlee had guaranteed access to it, even if I endgamed, so my being in it wasn’t necessary.
I think you used the neighborizer just fine, although I think it would definitely have been a mistake for RCE to claim neighborizor like you considered because then if you flipped he was sunk.

One of the things the role could have done would be to set up a false guilty in a pool by making an all town neighborhood, implying scum would be in it if/when you flipped. I also think it could have been a very strongly town AI claim if you'd played it slightly differently, but I don't think that's necessarily a better use of the role, just a different one. I liked it as a scum role because there were a bunch of different options as to how one could use it best and I don't think any of them were a "correct" option.
I love hoods as town, as scum it’s just another way to get caught.
Radical Rat
Radical Rat
They/Them
Jack of All Trades
Radical Rat
They/Them
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #3353 (ISO) » Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:31 pm

Post by Radical Rat »

I had a great time with this game, until my elimination which I feel was kind of bullshit, but well, that's how it always feels getting eliminated as Town
Maybe the real Mafia was the friends we made along the way

Shiny and new GTKAS thread!
Alyssa The Lamb
Alyssa The Lamb
Mafia Scum
Alyssa The Lamb
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3354 (ISO) » Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:36 pm

you had virtually no chance at that point
Titus
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Moon Walker
Pronoun: She/her

Post Post #3355 (ISO) » Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:07 pm

Post by Titus »

In post 3325, Jingle wrote:
In post 3322, Amy Dunne wrote:So, we autowin regardless of whether Alyssa votes out Titus or Mastina? But if both Mastina and Titus vote Alyssa, wouldn’t we have lost?
Yes.

Technically, either mastina or alyssa could have refused the joint win and tried to win solo, in which case Titus was Kingmaker. Town could not have won the 1v1v1.
What would have happened if I no voted?
Show
The scum had the misfortune of Titus being absurdly accurate on day one.Really quite impressed by that.~Drixx

You're letting Titus win the game by herself.Good luck now I guess.You have no chance to win.~Tywin

GTKTitus Part 2
Titus Academy

VLA Friday nights until Sunday morning.

All hail the Scum Empress!
Titus
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Moon Walker
Pronoun: She/her

Post Post #3356 (ISO) » Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:08 pm

Post by Titus »

In post 3354, Alyssa The Lamb wrote:you had virtually no chance at that point
House being wrong on me and refusing to reconsider wrecked us anyway.
Show
The scum had the misfortune of Titus being absurdly accurate on day one.Really quite impressed by that.~Drixx

You're letting Titus win the game by herself.Good luck now I guess.You have no chance to win.~Tywin

GTKTitus Part 2
Titus Academy

VLA Friday nights until Sunday morning.

All hail the Scum Empress!
Alyssa The Lamb
Alyssa The Lamb
Mafia Scum
Alyssa The Lamb
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3357 (ISO) » Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:08 pm

that's the same as choosing mastina to win over me
Radical Rat
Radical Rat
They/Them
Jack of All Trades
Radical Rat
They/Them
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3358 (ISO) » Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:32 pm

Post by Radical Rat »

In post 3310, Jingle wrote:Oh, if people could weigh in on the experimental mechanics I'd appreciate it:

Persistent scumchat (dead scum can still post in their factional PT) is a low utility but +fun mechanic imo and I don't think it would necessarily be a bad site meta shift. It's also not a major departure from expected mechanics.

Triplicate seems popular, but also seems like it might exacerbate gamestates with thread lag.

Open threads at night seem pretty meh, tbh. I don't know that they're bad, but it definitely didn't see a lot of use in this case.
Persistent scumchat is a definite yes from me. I already think scum is more fun, so the retention worries don't apply to me, but I just think it's better.

Triplicate very good, but y'know. Not really sustainable for every game. I liked having the more varied setups interacting though, and the scumthreads working as neighborhoods is a fun emergent mechanic.

Open threads at night, ehhh, not much of a point imo. I mean, it's a necessary consequence of the Triplicate setup, but it's also not terribly useful since any substantial discussion leads to scum making better decisions on kills/actions. Maybe in a role madness setup it'd see more use?

Radical Rat
Radical Rat
They/Them
Jack of All Trades
Radical Rat
They/Them
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3359 (ISO) » Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:35 pm

Post by Radical Rat »

I will say, the game was made notably worse by mastina misinterpreting her role and not being corrected.

I would have been MUCH less chill about the BP Survivor claim if there'd been two kills going around every night, plus mastina would have probably played differently

Radical Rat
Radical Rat
They/Them
Jack of All Trades
Radical Rat
They/Them
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3360 (ISO) » Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:47 pm

Post by Radical Rat »

Balance wise, I am by no means an expert, so grain of salt and all that, but I feel like my role's existence was a problem.

Because the Town PRs in play were significantly more useful than the scum roles (except possibly mastina), it kinda rewards Town for playing poorly, such as, say..... Accidentally allowing Ircher to get quickhammered, and as a direct result getting to be wagon analyzer.

Not that it actually helped in this case, but even so, feels kinda weird to me

Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #3361 (ISO) » Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:11 pm

Post by Jingle »

In post 3357, Alyssa The Lamb wrote:that's the same as choosing mastina to win over me
Not necessarily. Titus forcing a no lim could’ve let mastina force you to share the win if you were the only one resisting the joint win. Which, frankly would be hilarious.
This is a Parachute.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #3362 (ISO) » Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:18 pm

Post by Jingle »

In post 3360, Radical Rat wrote:it kinda rewards Town for playing poorly
In this specific instance it did, but more generally the UB is an anti snowball role. It softens the blow of losing a town piece early while not doing as much if scum has already lost members.

It’s never worth it to eliminate town or to avoid killing PRs to avoid triggering it, but it does mean the game isn’t as unwinnable if one faction has a bad start.
This is a Parachute.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #3363 (ISO) » Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:32 pm

Post by Jingle »

In post 3349, Alyssa The Lamb wrote:I mean town coming to a consensus that a specific player should leave, but regardless, thinking more about it I'm not even sure that there's any reason town should ever have groups of more than two people in the first place

If you just add another town player and each group makes only groups of three, scum would instantly win the game if every scum were in different groups (3 TvTvT groups, 4 TvTvS groups)
Hmmm. I hadn’t really looked at the numbers yet, but that is problematic. I’ll probably have to switch to normal voting and look at a different method of preventing a massive group with all of the question marks.
This is a Parachute.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #3364 (ISO) » Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:35 pm

Post by Jingle »

In post 3359, Radical Rat wrote:I would have been MUCH less chill about the BP Survivor claim if there'd been two kills going around every night, plus mastina would have probably played differently
FWIW I’m not sure there would have been 2 KPN had mastina understood her role. There is a reason I didn’t bat an eye when she didn’t submit kills, after all.

I agree that the error was a substantial one, though, and no doubt had a significant impact on the game, if only because mastina’s scum hunting was colored by her perception of the game balance.
This is a Parachute.
Amy Dunne
Amy Dunne
Mafia Scum
Amy Dunne
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3365 (ISO) » Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:57 am

Post by Amy Dunne »

Yeah, I tyink not being able to make votes game specific probably hurt town the lost in all games. I would much prefer if you could actually vote who you wanted in each game.

VOTE: player X in game _

for example would have been a lot better.
MegAzumarill
MegAzumarill
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
MegAzumarill
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #3366 (ISO) » Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:16 am

Post by MegAzumarill »

In post 3365, Amy Dunne wrote:Yeah, I tyink not being able to make votes game specific probably hurt town the lost in all games. I would much prefer if you could actually vote who you wanted in each game.

VOTE: player X in game _

for example would have been a lot better.
The entwining votes is kind of the whole point :/
Imprefection is the spice of life.
Radical Rat
Radical Rat
They/Them
Jack of All Trades
Radical Rat
They/Them
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3367 (ISO) » Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:29 am

Post by Radical Rat »

If the votes are separate like that, you're JUST playing three games in one thread.

I would actually be interested in MORE opportunities for the games to fuck with each other, like perhaps cross-game PRs (specific ones, not EVERY role). Say, a Cop that reveals how many games a slot is scum in, but not WHICH games.

Balance would be even more nightmarish though

Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #3368 (ISO) » Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:14 am

Post by Jingle »

I think I’d be more willing to experiment with mutations over cross game pr usage. Cross game pr usage is where doubles mafia fell apart, after all.
This is a Parachute.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #3369 (ISO) » Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:45 am

Post by Jingle »

In post 3350, Amy Dunne wrote:I don’t necessarily hate mechanically complex setups
The wagon role is exactly what I mean by mechanically complex. Things like bus drivers, extra communications, my conspiracies game with an SK/maf godfather traitor combo, games with thieves… basically the games that require a lot of legwork to understand or are virtually impossible to understand prior to endgame.

Comparatively, you enjoy my mutation setups which are fairly straightforward but twisting, like vengeful ghosts with a dead thread that could vig shoot or the game where the scum wincon was that their night kill was actually an escape from danger.
This is a Parachute.
Alyssa The Lamb
Alyssa The Lamb
Mafia Scum
Alyssa The Lamb
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3370 (ISO) » Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:51 am

Vengeful ghosts was painful
CheekyTeeky
CheekyTeeky
Survivor
CheekyTeeky
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3371 (ISO) » Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:53 am

Post by CheekyTeeky »

In post 3368, Jingle wrote:I think I’d be more willing to experiment with mutations over cross game pr usage. Cross game pr usage is where doubles mafia fell apart, after all.
/pre-in
<3 xx
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #3372 (ISO) » Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:42 am

Post by Jingle »

In post 3370, Alyssa The Lamb wrote:Vengeful ghosts was painful
I’d blame that more on the rand than the game, but ducky salvaged it pretty well imo
This is a Parachute.
Amy Dunne
Amy Dunne
Mafia Scum
Amy Dunne
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3373 (ISO) » Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:35 pm

Post by Amy Dunne »

In post 3367, Radical Rat wrote:If the votes are separate like that, you're JUST playing three games in one thread.

I would actually be interested in MORE opportunities for the games to fuck with each other, like perhaps cross-game PRs (specific ones, not EVERY role). Say, a Cop that reveals how many games a slot is scum in, but not WHICH games.

Balance would be even more nightmarish though
Not which? With only three games, how hard would that be? lol
Amy Dunne
Amy Dunne
Mafia Scum
Amy Dunne
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3374 (ISO) » Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:39 pm

Post by Amy Dunne »

In post 3369, Jingle wrote:
In post 3350, Amy Dunne wrote:I don’t necessarily hate mechanically complex setups
The wagon role is exactly what I mean by mechanically complex. Things like bus drivers, extra communications, my conspiracies game with an SK/maf godfather traitor combo, games with thieves… basically the games that require a lot of legwork to understand or are virtually impossible to understand prior to endgame.

Comparatively, you enjoy my mutation setups which are fairly straightforward but twisting, like vengeful ghosts with a dead thread that could vig shoot or the game where the scum wincon was that their night kill was actually an escape from danger.
I hope you do that nightmare game again, that one seemed really fun. I don’t mind mech complex setups, I just hate roles that that can guilty/inno a player merely for voting. I feel WA undermines play as an important factor.

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”