fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #5350 (ISO) » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:09 pm

Post by fferyllt »

In post 5343, Sakura Hana wrote:I would also like to know if my play has improved from where i used to flip out a lot due to scumreads, i mean, they still affect me, as it's obvious they did in this game, even tho i've been trying hard to improve of that, the scars of the past still haunt me and i get anxious just every single time i get scumread or voted, as much as i try to hide it. Tho i think it only showed with NMS, Desp and Drealz.
I thought your play has improved a LOT! I loved the way you played just enough on the back foot through most of day 1 for scum to assume you'd be lynchable. And your paranoia about Nacho not noticing you were hanging back was exactly the sort of paranoia that I would have read as town-Sakura testing Nacho, an I think he probably would have, too.
Amid the pressure of great events, a general principle gives no help.

Idic
Brian Skies
Brian Skies
Survivor
Brian Skies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5351 (ISO) » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:09 pm

Post by Brian Skies »

In post 5347, mhsmith0 wrote:
In post 5340, Brian Skies wrote:
In post 5332, mhsmith0 wrote:When scum get a free global roleblock (which kind of BLATANTLY suggests that town power is something other than essentially zero), that's on design.
Also, from what I recall, the ACTUAL town power that was distributed pregame wasn't even affected by the roleblock (albeit not useful, although it probably would've worked out better if this town cared more about coordinating dream votes).

As far as scum not needing to scumhunt PR's, I don't really agree, because you have a mechanic that can essentially hand out more power back to the players and essentially reward good play.
That would be true if the one shots were useful instead of mainly junk. Or if scum didn’t have equivalent odds of getting powers once Sakura died.

I mean shit, man, Sakura dies and scum rands governor and saves scum is an obviously possible outcome (and just TRY to imagine if that happens in LYLO or [preuming mods ban that in MYLO/lylo] brings the game to LYLO/MYLO). Like, we got FAR from the worst rand of it all and it was still blatantly scumsided.

Like, scum governor. Scum vig. Scum bus driver. All realistic outcomes, basically by design.
Totally. But once again, just based on probability, scum start off with what, approximately a 4/17 chance to get the first dream? That's less than 25%. And then, on top of that, they're at the mercy of the reads of Sakura's role.
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #5352 (ISO) » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:10 pm

Post by mhsmith0 »

In post 5345, Brian Skies wrote:You have a 1-Shot Watcher, a 1-Shot Vig, a 1-Shot Governor, and a 1-Shot Hider, and you don't think any of these can help turn the game around? Not to mention you don't even have to worry about someone crumbing it on Day 1 and immediately dying to the scumteam like many players on this site?

I also don't understand why any of these roles have to 'carry' the game? Why can't any of them just be good enough to help the town solve the game and win?
MS towns consistently need substantial help to have anything close to even odds. If the standard is “well they shouldn’t need that help”, well, cool, BUT THEY DO. Governor is also pretty blatantly useless most of the time and lol if scum get it.

So a bare handful of “good” dreams actually do anything at all, but towns are supposed to “solve” for those dreams even on nights when all dreams are useless?

By design, a one shot bp and one shot watch, where scum didn’t rand any blatantly useful powers like vig or governor, was substantially MORE town positive than I think you usually see if you run this blind with 100 different groups.
Show
http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Mhsmith0
Conq: you, sir, are great at being town.
BATMAN: Only jugg was the only one we didn’t scum read at least not me
Quick: There is little to no chance this slot is Power-Wolfing.
SR: I want to give him a day
Life is simply unfair, don't you think?
Brian Skies
Brian Skies
Survivor
Brian Skies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5353 (ISO) » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:12 pm

Post by Brian Skies »

In post 5352, mhsmith0 wrote:but towns are supposed to “solve” for those dreams even on nights when all dreams are useless?
I 100% think the dreams should've been more explicit (and they were advertised to be spelled out for us to begin with), which you're ignoring for whatever reason because...?
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #5354 (ISO) » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:13 pm

Post by mhsmith0 »

In post 5351, Brian Skies wrote:Totally. But once again, just based on probability, scum start off with what, approximately a 4/17 chance to get the first dream? That's less than 25%. And then, on top of that, they're at the mercy of the reads of Sakura's role.
Unless Sakura targets town that gets yolo loverizer or gladiated or something because dreams weren’t understood.

And 25% ish for scum picking up the ONLY remotely useful powers 8n the game is ridiculous.

To say nothing of how the obscured flips enabled useless theorizarion like “scum might be non receptive”, or, for that matter, how it blatantly incentivize role claims since flips would tell town nothing (try and guess my role from my title for instance - it apparently wasn’t even obvious I was dream receptive :lol: )
Show
Sakura Hana
Sakura Hana
She/Her
Survivor
Sakura Hana
She/Her
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #5355 (ISO) » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:15 pm

Post by Sakura Hana »

You know what's even more funny, i almost gave LLD a dream D2! But changed my mind later because i didnt want to interfere with whatever role she had by making her need to choose between her role and the dream, tho i asked later on D3 about how that would've worked. Then later desp had flipped town which changed my view on both LLD/Hebi.
I bloom in spring?
Please be nice to me.
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #5356 (ISO) » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:15 pm

Post by mhsmith0 »

In post 5353, Brian Skies wrote:
In post 5352, mhsmith0 wrote:but towns are supposed to “solve” for those dreams even on nights when all dreams are useless?
I 100% think the dreams should've been more explicit (and they were advertised to be spelled out for us to begin with), which you're ignoring for whatever reason because...?
Well I’m discussing what mids actually did for the most part.

But even if dreams were fully public... who cares? The dream powers mainly sucked anyway, and it’s not like accountability for dream voting existed. If ceph’s role was intended to do that, it was always gonna fail at it.
Show
Brian Skies
Brian Skies
Survivor
Brian Skies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5357 (ISO) » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:16 pm

Post by Brian Skies »

In post 5354, mhsmith0 wrote:Unless Sakura targets town that gets yolo loverizer or gladiated or something because dreams weren’t understood.

And 25% ish for scum picking up the ONLY remotely useful powers 8n the game is ridiculous.

To say nothing of how the obscured flips enabled useless theorizarion like “scum might be non receptive”, or, for that matter, how it blatantly incentivize role claims since flips would tell town nothing (try and guess my role from my title for instance - it apparently wasn’t even obvious I was dream receptive )
All of this is a literal non-factor to what I'm saying, since my opinions on the setup are based on the idea that town should've had a clearer idea of what each dream did (which was advertised and what I've said in each of my posts).
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #5358 (ISO) » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:19 pm

Post by mhsmith0 »

In post 5357, Brian Skies wrote:All of this is a literal non-factor to what I'm saying, since my opinions on the setup are based on the idea that town should've had a clearer idea of what each dream did (which was advertised and what I've said in each of my posts).
25% ish chances for scum to get the dream powers is still ridiculous even given public dream descriptions

And the dream powers still almost all sucked majorly

Take away the roleblock
Take away the lovers nerf to masons
Add two VTs
Announce dreams explicitly

Still scumsided and by a solid margin
Show
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #5359 (ISO) » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:20 pm

Post by mhsmith0 »

Anyway, it’s past 1am and I’m going to bed.

Night all.
Show
Brian Skies
Brian Skies
Survivor
Brian Skies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5360 (ISO) » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:21 pm

Post by Brian Skies »

In post 5356, mhsmith0 wrote:But even if dreams were fully public... who cares? The dream powers mainly sucked anyway
I think this is just your opinion, and you're entitled to it.

You think town on this site need a ton of power to have a fighting chance, which is a perfectly acceptable position to hold.

I disagree, but it's not like I'm going to sit here and tell the mods to make games harder for town when I roll town like 90+% of the time.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #5361 (ISO) » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:21 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 5339, Sakura Hana wrote:According to VCA i was scum to mastina
I never pushed this. I had you in my scum pool as a secondary name (never my strongest) and I did do VCA but I am quite positive I never pushed you specifically because of VCA.
Sakura Hana
Sakura Hana
She/Her
Survivor
Sakura Hana
She/Her
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5362 (ISO) » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:22 pm

Post by Sakura Hana »

Eh, well whatevers regrets is regrets, they wont change the outcome but...
the thing with us not lynching LLD Day 4 was pretty bad in hindsight, as an LLD scumflip would immediately mean a Hebi lynch, which in XyLo would have lost us the game anyway, it was already too late before i replaced out.

I also didnt intend my replace out to be alignment indicative, as it was, well tied to stuff that happened outside of the game, as i wasnt sure how long it would take to finish the game nor how long it would take for me to recover from my depression and it didnt seem to be improving, i thought it was better off for me to replace out, however someone i think it was serra managed to townread my replace out simple out of the sheer fact that if i was scum i wouldnt have replaced out when so close to a win, which is true, but it's not something i intended.
I bloom in spring?
Please be nice to me.
Sakura Hana
Sakura Hana
She/Her
Survivor
Sakura Hana
She/Her
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5363 (ISO) » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:24 pm

Post by Sakura Hana »

In post 5361, mastina wrote:
In post 5339, Sakura Hana wrote:According to VCA i was scum to mastina
I never pushed this. I had you in my scum pool as a secondary name (never my strongest) and I did do VCA but I am quite positive I never pushed you specifically because of VCA.
Yeah well that's how i was seeing it, tho as mentioned previously i probably was overreacting due to my thing where i get tilted easily by scumreads, you being a wall to syry coz they were a scumread didnt help me either coz i figured you'd be a wall to me too and it just made me more annoyed.
I bloom in spring?
Please be nice to me.
Sakura Hana
Sakura Hana
She/Her
Survivor
Sakura Hana
She/Her
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5364 (ISO) » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:26 pm

Post by Sakura Hana »

Regardless i dont think VCA helped any.
I think NKA would have helped more, but i got attacked as soon as i tried by your hydra partner.

I've felt for a long time that the voices of the dead shouldnt be ignored ever, but people still do it anyway, and scumread or ignore people that do.
I bloom in spring?
Please be nice to me.
Sakura Hana
Sakura Hana
She/Her
Survivor
Sakura Hana
She/Her
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5365 (ISO) » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:32 pm

Post by Sakura Hana »

Maybe that's another thing i need to improve on, I tend to not do anything that could remotely point towards people scumreading me, because i actually care a lot about it, i have terrible memories of a single player scumreading me leading to everyone wanting to lynch me. That's probably why i tend to back off on anything I do that makes people start scumreading me, probably.

I guess that also added up to the pressure of my role. This definitely wasnt the best game for me to be in, there was also a time much earlier that i just felt like ranting and wanted to take a break.
I bloom in spring?
Please be nice to me.
Sakura Hana
Sakura Hana
She/Her
Survivor
Sakura Hana
She/Her
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5366 (ISO) » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:33 pm

Post by Sakura Hana »

Ah well if i keep thinking about that im just gonna get depressed again for an entirely different reason.

I'm just gonna go to sleep as it's already 3:30 am.
I bloom in spring?
Please be nice to me.
Floodgates
Floodgates
Goon
Floodgates
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5367 (ISO) » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:03 pm

Post by Floodgates »

Fwiw I agree with smith pretty much all the way :P

Aside from RC I don't think there's anyone I trust more to have a solid take on balance than smith and that's trust that's been earned through working together fairly extensively. He's got "it".
JaeReed
JaeReed
Jack of All Trades
JaeReed
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5368 (ISO) » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:52 am

Post by JaeReed »

Quick feedback aside from all the balance concerns & dream vagueness which I feel have been hashed out to death by now.

I probably wouldn't have explicitly said that the assignation of the dream was random if it weren't (Sakura getting to choose where the dream goes by design means it's no longer random). Going forward if you'd have a role like that I'd have the "randomly" to be taken out because it's misleading. Just "A player will receive a one-shot ability." is fine in that case, it leaves it open to it being RNG or role based and is closer to the truth, if that makes sense? I assume that was a carry over from before Sakura's role was made, though.
"Jae defends his townreads like a fanatic" - Charloux
"On the issue of myself they go back and forth between overpowering paranoia and absolute certainty I'm town... it's kind of exhausting." - Nahdia
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #5369 (ISO) » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:21 am

Post by Cabd »

In post 2, morph the cat wrote:12. Dreams may also grant power roles to players. Unless specified, these may be held onto or used the same night. Dream recipients are chosen randomly
unless an ability states otherwise.
It was in the OP at game's start.
Show
Have retired for good; Life is too busy to have time or energy for mafia. It was fun~

And then, a Miracle, a Dance Game and a flight of fancy struck, one more game into the abyss
JaeReed
JaeReed
Jack of All Trades
JaeReed
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5370 (ISO) » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:59 pm

Post by JaeReed »

My point was about it being in the dream flips.
I don't really have the spoons to explain further it's just like, not necessary to have in the dream flips especially if it's in the ruleset, it really only serves to mislead.
"Jae defends his townreads like a fanatic" - Charloux
"On the issue of myself they go back and forth between overpowering paranoia and absolute certainty I'm town... it's kind of exhausting." - Nahdia
Sakura Hana
Sakura Hana
She/Her
Survivor
Sakura Hana
She/Her
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5371 (ISO) » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:31 pm

Post by Sakura Hana »

In post 5119, morph the cat wrote:Nightmare PT (Will be made public in 24 hours or so)
Hopefully soon?
I bloom in spring?
Please be nice to me.
morph the cat
morph the cat
Sync Achieved
morph the cat
Sync Achieved
Sync Achieved

Post Post #5372 (ISO) » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:51 am

Post by morph the cat »

done.
Sakura Hana
Sakura Hana
She/Her
Survivor
Sakura Hana
She/Her
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5373 (ISO) » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:18 am

Post by Sakura Hana »

And with that, im done here, not gonna play mafia again until im feeling emotionally better anyhow.
I bloom in spring?
Please be nice to me.
Sakura Hana
Sakura Hana
She/Her
Survivor
Sakura Hana
She/Her
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5374 (ISO) » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:42 am

Post by Sakura Hana »

Oh yeah, when i was reading dead PT, something i was wondering, but i dont recall having 100% read rate on Nos.
I bloom in spring?
Please be nice to me.

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”