mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #3526 (ISO) » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:34 pm

Post by mhsmith0 »

I mean I could compare that to the absolute trash town power we got in my LAST large theme if you want :P

Tho I’d also note that it’s not as townsided a setup as KH at least :P
Show
http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Mhsmith0
Conq: you, sir, are great at being town.
BATMAN: Only jugg was the only one we didn’t scum read at least not me
Quick: There is little to no chance this slot is Power-Wolfing.
SR: I want to give him a day
Life is simply unfair, don't you think?
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #3527 (ISO) » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:34 pm

Post by RadiantCowbells »

In post 3519, MathBlade wrote:
In post 3508, RadiantCowbells wrote:
In post 3505, mastina wrote:
Having said that
, I think that the scumteam truly did earn their win--they weren't helped by me much at all. In fact, they basically did everything on their own. Everything from the nightkills to their dayplay (which dominated the game I feel), that was all on them. To some extent, this was obviously going to be the case because I reserved the right to a non-random scumteam from the get-go and the selected scumteam was in fact not random (you can thank Ginngie for that because it was her suggestion; I basically went, "Sure, why not?" to it), in that with those players as scum it was going to be very difficult for the scum to ever be in the position to lose.

However, I don't think you can attribute the win to just being who they are in general. They genuinely pulled out what I feel was a pretty strong performance. The town also made many misplays, from not submitting night actions to not reading the mechanics closely (one of the two jailkeepers REALLY should've targeted me earlier) to lynching what is one of my signature town roles (seriously, I am like the only mod who uses Alien as the Roleblocker + Rolestopper variant of a JK so that should've been an obviously-town role and doubling up on town roles is also a specialty of mine) to nightkilling the entire town's investigative power N1.

So while a great deal of blame can be placed on my shitty moderation for the apathy. I don't think you can place EVERYTHING on me, since there were a lot of smart scum plays and quite a few not-so-smart town plays. I also think that in spite of my shitty moderating, that the quality of the game could have ended up being much worse than it did. In spite of the apathy suffered at times, there were moments where I feel players were genuinely enjoying the game as a game. My only regret, really, is that said moments of enjoying the game were in the minority, since the whole premise of this game was for them to be in the majority--

For people to see my mod edits/deletions and go, "LOL" to them. To break out laughing at the mod interference, rather than shutting down because of the possibility of it. I do apologize I couldn't foster that game environment, but that was my intention, so the few moments where it was shown, I was glad to see exist.
I thought that this was the strongest scumteam as a collective that I've ever been in and I don't say that lightly.
The only team that I think could compare was a game a long time ago where myself and Frozen Angel were scum when she was new to the site but our third partner was relatively weak.
Everyone was fantastic, we split town down many narratives to the point that we sacrificed the ability to lead all town down one direction but instead we divided the town entirely and even the people who were close to solving one element of the game weren't even close to the others. I don't think there was a possibility of us losing from long before my lynch simply based off of how lynching anyone gave the others on the team lots of towncred and that's on top of us being largely the most townread players in the game.
Yeah...I kinda didn’t even want to bus you either :/
See but that's what made it so great
because if you got lynched your lack of enthusiasm when push came to shove made it look like you were hoping for the wagon not to go through which clears Stalfos
What does that even mean
I think that if MU players played sufficiently under half and half with MS players over a large sample size here that they would not find themselves significantly better at winning games than MS town players.
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #3528 (ISO) » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:34 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 3499, MathBlade wrote:I freaking love mastina like a sister and seeing her that bad hurt. Like I didn’t know how to help :(
I'll manage to get through it somehow. <3

For what it's worth, albeit at a reduced rate, I'm still playing games so it's not like I'm leaving the site. I'm just less active than normal until I can actually get my shit together (which this game shows it is clearly not).
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #3529 (ISO) » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:35 pm

In post 3525, Mulch wrote:But picking the scumteam is like

100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000X better than any scum ability
Doing so anonymously, sure.
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
Mulch
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Gotta Go Fast

Post Post #3530 (ISO) » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:38 pm

Post by Mulch »

In post 3527, RadiantCowbells wrote:I think that if MU players played sufficiently under half and half with MS players over a large sample size here that they would not find themselves significantly better at winning games than MS town players.
What does "sufficciently under half and half" mean
Amrock#3784
Mulch
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Gotta Go Fast

Post Post #3531 (ISO) » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:38 pm

Post by Mulch »

In post 3528, mastina wrote:
In post 3499, MathBlade wrote:I freaking love mastina like a sister and seeing her that bad hurt. Like I didn’t know how to help :(
I'll manage to get through it somehow. <3

For what it's worth, albeit at a reduced rate, I'm still playing games so it's not like I'm leaving the site. I'm just less active than normal until I can actually get my shit together (which this game shows it is clearly not).
Mastina you were fine this game

Trust me there are mods here that are 100000000000000000000X worse

plus you had the guts to admit it wasn't a scum strategy which I 100% would have done lol
Amrock#3784
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #3532 (ISO) » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:44 pm

In post 3530, Mulch wrote:
In post 3527, RadiantCowbells wrote:I think that if MU players played sufficiently under half and half with MS players over a large sample size here that they would not find themselves significantly better at winning games than MS town players.
I mean that having played with MU players long enough if they started with the majority the game would quickly devolve into policy lynching people based on social hierarchies.
Mulch
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Gotta Go Fast

Post Post #3533 (ISO) » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:45 pm

Post by Mulch »

In post 3532, RadiantCowbells wrote:
In post 3530, Mulch wrote:
I mean that having played with MU players long enough if they started with the majority the game would quickly devolve into policy lynching people based on social hierarchies.
Lol so true

I might sig this
Amrock#3784
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #3534 (ISO) » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:52 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 3507, Mulch wrote:Mastina you did fine
I hope you don't quit modding
You inspired me to mod you know on this site and other sites
<3
I don't intend to quit, but I do need to make sure that I make high-quality games and right now the best I could offer is maybe-mediocre. As in, MAYBE a mid-grade game, most likely being below mediocre in that the BEST I could give is a middle-of-the-road modding job and I easily could (and likely would) do much worse than that and be a bad moderator.

I have standards; I don't want to make low-quality games and part of the inherent quality of the game is the quality of the moderation, which I cannot actively provide.

Now.

What
might
be viable is for me to CO-mod a game.
If I have a second mod proper, then I can be assured that no matter what happens, the game keeps going with good quality.
But I can't be a solo-moderator right now, and having a backup mod isn't good enough for me. Not when "backup" translates into "essentially takes over the game midway through due to moderator negligence".
In post 3508, RadiantCowbells wrote:I thought that this was the strongest scumteam as a collective that I've ever been in and I don't say that lightly.
The only team that I think could compare was a game a long time ago where myself and Frozen Angel were scum when she was new to the site but our third partner was relatively weak.
Everyone was fantastic, we split town down many narratives to the point that we sacrificed the ability to lead all town down one direction but instead we divided the town entirely and even the people who were close to solving one element of the game weren't even close to the others. I don't think there was a possibility of us losing from long before my lynch simply based off of how lynching anyone gave the others on the team lots of towncred and that's on top of us being largely the most townread players in the game.
I happen to think you might be right, actually. Others might have YMMV for that, but personally, yes. I think this was a stellar scum performance.
In post 3521, Mulch wrote:I think if you didn't handpick the scumteam then it's balanced but with it it's scumsided
I almost didn't. The original intention was to use a semi-random, semi-selected scumteam: some players were barred from being scum, some players were barred from being scum together, some players were required to be the same alignment, thus the semi-selected, but I did use random.org to make a scumteam which would have been semi-random.

camn and Stalfos were still scum (thus, they were guaranteed to be scum no matter what), but in that team it was Kise and hebichan as the other two scum. Then as I was doing this, Ginngie suggested the non-random team. I ultimately decided between random-scumteam and hand-picked scumteam by who would hold which town PRs in each setup--Radiant Moonlight held the vig in the random-scumteam setup (something I didn't want my scumteam to deal with since I anticipated the game potentially ending before D3 with that), and Not_Mafia held the vig in the selected-scumteam combo, which felt like it would be better.

In that sense, there was some mod bias, but given the premise, I don't think I exceeded anything which was reasonable to anticipate. Of all my decisions this game though, I admit, this is the one that I most questioned, because I'm
still
not sure it was the right thing to do.
In post 3522, Mulch wrote:Honestly this was super fun to watch from afar tbh
The problem mentioned though--
It was fun to watch as a spectator, sure enough, from far away.
It was fun enough to watch from the inside, as the mafia who knew how events were playing out.

These were not the target audience of fun when I designed the game.

When I designed the game, the target audience for the fun was
the town players alive
So because they by and large didn't enjoy the experience, in that sense, I did not succeed. :?
Mulch
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Gotta Go Fast

Post Post #3535 (ISO) » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:54 pm

Post by Mulch »

Well

Im notgonnalie and say I enjoyed this

but not really the game's fault tbh

More like Smocaine's fault
Amrock#3784
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #3536 (ISO) » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:55 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 3524, mhsmith0 wrote:That’s pretty decently townsided without the mastina ability, probably townsided with it (especially if mastina getting vigged eliminates ability for her to kill)
Me getting vigged would not have eliminated my ability to kill or vote.

HOWEVER.

What it WOULD have done, if a vig had thought to kill me.
Was to reveal the EXISTENCE of a vig. As a type of publicly-revealed fruit vend, of sorts, in that it is undeniable with the mod listing herself as being shot in mod text (immune to falsification) that it was an ability which caused her death, and thus, a town player was responsible for it.
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #3537 (ISO) » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:55 pm

Post by MathBlade »

Meh not Smocaine’s fault either.

Had him on my OH SHIT list since he just caught me as scum in another game but that’s because I literally fell apart due to unrelated shit.
ScumBlade's eloquent performance left me utterly disoriented, debased, depraved and sent me spiraling into a horrific murky abyss with emotional turmoil and immense despair as my only companions until slowly I suffocate in my own gloom, surrounded by failure. I will never recover. -- Zachstralkita about Mini 1841
GTKAS -- MathBlade
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #3538 (ISO) » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:56 pm

Post by mhsmith0 »

In post 3536, mastina wrote:
In post 3524, mhsmith0 wrote:That’s pretty decently townsided without the mastina ability, probably townsided with it (especially if mastina getting vigged eliminates ability for her to kill)
Me getting vigged would not have eliminated my ability to kill or vote.

HOWEVER.

What it WOULD have done, if a vig had thought to kill me.
Was to reveal the EXISTENCE of a vig. As a type of publicly-revealed fruit vend, of sorts, in that it is undeniable with the mod listing herself as being shot in mod text (immune to falsification) that it was an ability which caused her death, and thus, a town player was responsible for it.
Well that’s only if you don’t give scum team a vig :P

Or lol multiball

Or surprise serial killer

Or...
Show
Theta Alpine
Theta Alpine
she/her
Mafia Scum
Theta Alpine
she/her
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #3539 (ISO) » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:58 pm

Post by Theta Alpine »

well at least i had camn correct
honestly i am not really sure if i will be playing any other games anytime soon though
town has lost every single one of my games so far and that is getting demoralizing
alter of rautherdir
as town won 5 games | lost 6 games | mislimd 3 times | dayvigged once | nightkilled 3 times | vengekilled once | survived 3 times
as scum won 5 games | lost 1 game | eliminated twice | dayvigged once | vigged once | survived once | perfect scum victory once
and if you count large normal 204 then i won that game after replacing out as scum
camn
camn
soundtracker
camn
soundtracker
soundtracker

Post Post #3540 (ISO) » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:00 pm

Post by camn »

In post 3539, Theta Alpine wrote:well at least i had camn correct
You did. But getting the lynch is always where the money is :)
"if you weren't trying to be so unnecessarily mysterious all the time we wouldn't have these misunderstandings" - Yosarian2
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #3541 (ISO) » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:00 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 3529, RadiantCowbells wrote:
In post 3525, Mulch wrote:But picking the scumteam is like
100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000X better than any scum ability
Doing so anonymously, sure.
Btw nobody thought to ask about this as an official question to the moderator. (The only stupid question is the one never asked!)

Had a town player thought to do so, I may have trolled as a mafia-member, but I would still be obligated to also give a serious answer as the moderator.
My official moderator answer to "was the scumteam randomized?" or "was the scumteam hand-picked" or the like could have potentially revealed to the town information, because it would have been something akin to the effect of:
"
<<< I reserved the right to use any method of scumteam selection, be it hand-picked, randomized, or some hybridization of the two. I thus cannot answer that question further in an official moderator capacity. >>>
"

It was never asked tho, so. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #3542 (ISO) » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:00 pm

Post by MathBlade »

In post 3539, Theta Alpine wrote:well at least i had camn correct
honestly i am not really sure if i will be playing any other games anytime soon though
town has lost every single one of my games so far and that is getting demoralizing
Uhmmm

I have like a 70-80% winrate as scum.

Only times I have lost are when I fucked up or unwinnable.

So yeah don’t give up. Some people like RC could be town teachers.

I am hella good town face to face. 100% vig rate legit. (Titus and the last meet can vouch)

Just forum...uhmmmmmmm my win rate I am lucky if 25% but I play to improve.
ScumBlade's eloquent performance left me utterly disoriented, debased, depraved and sent me spiraling into a horrific murky abyss with emotional turmoil and immense despair as my only companions until slowly I suffocate in my own gloom, surrounded by failure. I will never recover. -- Zachstralkita about Mini 1841
GTKAS -- MathBlade
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #3543 (ISO) » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:06 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 3538, mhsmith0 wrote:Or lol multiball
I mean the game was explicitly 14:4 with a mod-guarantee that the information provided on the front page was guaranteed to be accurate to the best of my ability and thus immune to falsification, so.
Keychain
Keychain
she/her
Mafia Scum
Keychain
she/her
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #3544 (ISO) » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:07 pm

Post by Keychain »

Theta Alpine wrote:well at least i had camn correct
Yeah I know that feeling :/ you were pretty fun to play with when you were around though!
You're under no obligation to be the same person you were 5 minutes ago.
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #3545 (ISO) » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:08 pm

Post by mhsmith0 »

In post 3543, mastina wrote:
In post 3538, mhsmith0 wrote:Or lol multiball
I mean the game was explicitly 14:4 with a mod-guarantee that the information provided on the front page was guaranteed to be accurate to the best of my ability and thus immune to falsification, so.
OR WAS IT
:shifty:
Show
Prism
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Dispersion of Insight
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #3546 (ISO) » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:53 am

Post by Prism »

Mulch missing the point entirely, obsessing over me/RC and drawing overarching conclusions from a sample size of 1. I called that months in advance.

I don't really have much to say about this game, I was miserable throughout, never really wanted to play and put in close to 0 effort beyond coaching Keychain. When I was around, I was only around to complain. I'm sorry for the scumteam for that. They killed it and won it despite me, but they deserved better.
nancy
nancy
Jack of All Trades
nancy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3547 (ISO) » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:39 am

Post by nancy »

Prism is fking awful wow ban pls.
:2017-2018:
hi meet my mafiascum gravestone, the flowers were probably left by camn or schadd or Prism, blow them kisses for me would you?
Mulch
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Gotta Go Fast

Post Post #3548 (ISO) » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:50 am

Post by Mulch »

In post 3546, Prism wrote:Mulch missing the point entirely, obsessing over me/RC and drawing overarching conclusions from a sample size of 1. I called that months in advance.

I don't really have much to say about this game, I was miserable throughout, never really wanted to play and put in close to 0 effort beyond coaching Keychain. When I was around, I was only around to complain. I'm sorry for the scumteam for that. They killed it and won it despite me, but they deserved better.
What’s the “point” ?
Amrock#3784
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #3549 (ISO) » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:22 am

Post by Creature »

In post 3524, mhsmith0 wrote:14/4
Goons plus a special mastina shot ability