Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #3575 (ISO) » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:04 am

Post by Creature »

Multiball games don't have balance at all.
Sigh
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #3576 (ISO) » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:05 am

Post by RadiantCowbells »

Multiball games can be balanced but in practise both multiball and serial killer games strongly favour, as either alignment, being someone that people wouldn't want to shoot.
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #3577 (ISO) » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:09 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

In post 3574, Creature wrote:Scum also had a lot of space to claim here.

Also, I am not saying this game was scumsided, but I refuse to say this game was notably townsided.
Without mastina being able to take the shot (and "survive" any/all vig shots), the game is ridiculously townsided

With that, but without mastina picking the scum team, the game is townsided but not unplayable (the "mod edit" stuff favors scum a bit because it's likely to be frustrating to town but probably not a major adjustment to balance)

With setup as is AND mastina picking the scum team in secret, the game seems... acceptable balance-wise? I'd probably want to think about it in more detail but that doesn't scream out drastically favoring one side or the other, since getting to make sure that your scum team doens't suck and/or have clear weak links is a substantial advantage in and of itself.
Show
http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Mhsmith0
Conq: you, sir, are great at being town.
BATMAN: Only jugg was the only one we didn’t scum read at least not me
Quick: There is little to no chance this slot is Power-Wolfing.
SR: I want to give him a day
Life is simply unfair, don't you think?
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #3578 (ISO) » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:11 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

In post 3574, Creature wrote:Scum also had a lot of space to claim here.
Unless mastina provided scum with guidance on what fake claims could fit in the setup, I tend to disagree. Eyeballing wolf chat, it seems like she'd write out a fake claim, but not actually tell them what would or wouldn't work.

And town power set to five overall solid PRs seems to not really give a lot of room for fake claiming.
Show
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #3579 (ISO) » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:11 am

Post by Creature »

Yeah, mastina not being able to shoot would make the game townsided if scum got down to one.
Sigh
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #3580 (ISO) » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:15 am

The scumteam thing is also very contingent on who is in the game. I think in a lot of lobbies it would add up to very low value.
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #3581 (ISO) » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:19 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

I think in a lot of groupings there's still a pretty solid range between "best scum" and "worst scum" even if, on a lower level group, it's more "adequate scum vs painfully obvious scum" as compared to "adequate scum vs very effective scum"
Show
Mulch
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Gotta Go Fast

Post Post #3582 (ISO) » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:21 am

Post by Mulch »

In post 3580, RadiantCowbells wrote:The scumteam thing is also very contingent on who is in the game. I think in a lot of lobbies it would add up to very low value.
Nah
Amrock#3784
Prism
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Dispersion of Insight
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #3583 (ISO) » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:57 am

Post by Prism »

In post 3548, Mulch wrote:
In post 3546, Prism wrote:Mulch missing the point entirely, obsessing over me/RC and drawing overarching conclusions from a sample size of 1. I called that months in advance.

I don't really have much to say about this game, I was miserable throughout, never really wanted to play and put in close to 0 effort beyond coaching Keychain. When I was around, I was only around to complain. I'm sorry for the scumteam for that. They killed it and won it despite me, but they deserved better.
What’s the “point” ?
From my/Key's hydra thread:
In post 139, Prism wrote:I think everyone can be excellent if they really tried to work at selfimprovement.

Mulch's biggest problem is his ego. He immediately deathtunneled the two most well-renowned scum players in the game and handed out other reads like candy, ex. the hard townread on camn. I don't think those were accidents; he's noticeably focused less on winning the game and more on winning
himself
, moral victory or not. "Can't blame me for scumreading them, they're good scum" vs. "I NAILED THEM I TOLD YOU I AM GOD WHY DIDN'T YOU LISTEN" cost-benefit analysis type deal. I don't think that's fueled so much out of a cognizant analysis but rather just how powerfully he
wants
us to be scum and to be right.

The same attitude, protecting his own reputation over trying to win, is what made me lynch him in Dystopia.
Expounding on this, the determination to tunnel me/RC resulted in mismatch that was easy to take advantage of-you didn't have the evidence or the reasoning to back up the strength of your read, and I knew it, and this made for a really easy 1v1. Those who read the entire argument wound up agreeing with me, and you were an easy lynch for it. This was a 1v1 in which you
should have had the advantage
, because you were town and genuine. Everyone has their own biases, that doesn't mean you weren't town-but you let me completely take advantage of it and dominate the conversation. You finally did get something of note-I slipped up a bit with my internal interactions with Keychain-but by that point you had basically already sunk yourself by crying wolf too many times.

You don't care about any of this though, you just wanted to be right and claim your moral victory at the end of the day, and didn't care too much about just winning the game. Who cares if me/RC took advantage of me to demoralize the town, establish a dominant position, and get a free mislynch? It's other people's fault, not mine, I told them the two scum, I just couldn't tell them why! In contrast, the scumteam repeatedly gave up attempts at personal glory (see: MathBlade originally wanting to bus into a glorious 3 way victory) and just took the win in front of them.

Setting aside the win in order to feel superior to your teammates is what losers do.

As for sample size of 1, I think you wanted to scumread me/RC so much you would have done it had we been town. This isn't skill, but essentially an RNG with what we flip that game. You will disagree, naturally. I don't think this is worth arguing. I'll believe you can read me when I see it.
Mulch
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Gotta Go Fast

Post Post #3584 (ISO) » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:04 am

Post by Mulch »

I see you are still making excuses for your massive fuck up in the newbie game despite self proclaiming that you didn’t care

I’ll respond to the rest of your post later but I think your attitude in this can pretty much be summed up by this
Amrock#3784
Ginngie
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3585 (ISO) » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:17 am

Post by Ginngie »

In post 3584, Mulch wrote:I see you are still making excuses for your massive fuck up in the newbie game despite self proclaiming that you didn’t care

I’ll respond to the rest of your post later but I think your attitude in this can pretty much be summed up by this
In post 0, mastina wrote:2. Mulch, Vanilla Townie, was Lynched D1.
lol
Shoutout to PJ and Nahdia for making my amazing new avi :)

Following the previous dozen pages that cropped up in the last 10 hours I would like to congratulate Ginngie for being drunk with distinction. - Vi
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #3586 (ISO) » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:20 am

In post 3583, Prism wrote:As for sample size of 1, I think you wanted to scumread me/RC so much you would have done it had we been town. This isn't skill, but essentially an RNG with what we flip that game. You will disagree, naturally. I don't think this is worth arguing. I'll believe you can read me when I see it.
I'm not taking a position on mulch vs prism but I absolutely think that you are in a stage where you're going to scumread me every game, play it off when I'm town, and lord it over everyone when you're right even if it doesn't help you get me lynched because everyone just finished seeing you scumread me like crazy in the previous game when I was town.

:?
Mulch
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Gotta Go Fast

Post Post #3587 (ISO) » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:24 am

Post by Mulch »

In post 3585, Ginngie wrote:
In post 3584, Mulch wrote:I see you are still making excuses for your massive fuck up in the newbie game despite self proclaiming that you didn’t care

In post 0, mastina wrote:2. Mulch, Vanilla Townie, was Lynched D1.
lol
I never said I was a good player :shifty: :oops:
Amrock#3784
Prism
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Dispersion of Insight

Post Post #3588 (ISO) » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:26 am

Post by Prism »

An explanation for why I did something is not an excuse. I already took blame for that game 100x over. Any loss of mine is my own fault, period, no way around it. You will not find a single post otherwise in my entire time on the site. This is the difference between us.
Spoiler: From the end of Dystopia
Prism wrote:I already accepted blame for the game, repeatedly, elaborated exactly how and why I voted what I did (see: not because of the AtE), explained what I thought I did wrong, should have paid more attention to, and what was just downright awful (Kam lynch)

If you have anything constructive to say I'll gladly hear it but to be blunt I don't care about you stroking your own ego. I tried my absolute best, and that's all I have to do and all I could do-I don't owe you anything.
This thread isn't a place to talk about the Newbie Game. I didn't even bring it up. I didn't care about your ego stroking then and I really don't now, either.

The point is that your determination to feel superior to others, by valuing personal victories over that of the team, and always looking to take credit for the victories while absolving yourself of blame, is counterproductive and getting in the way of you being a better player. You feel attacked, and rightfully so, the disrespect I've shown you this game (particularly in the scum topic) was ridiculous. I didn't have to be so hostile with my criticism. I'll apologize for that.

Take away from this game absolutely nothing if you want, though. Keep absolving yourself of responsibility. Refuse to learn how or why scum beat you and used you to their own advantage. Let people like me and RC do it to you again, and again, and again, if you really want.
Mulch
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Gotta Go Fast

Post Post #3589 (ISO) » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:27 am

Post by Mulch »

I take full responsibility

And I know why you beat me

But I should save this for when I have time to make a proper response
Amrock#3784
Prism
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Dispersion of Insight

Post Post #3590 (ISO) » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:28 am

Post by Prism »

Reflecting more it looks like you made a conscious effort to just accept the lynch rather than get angry. I guess I just can't really understand that, in the sense that it still seems to me like at some point you just said "I'm happy with my two scumreads and I'm going home". I guess that's not absolving yourself of responsibility, just kind of giving up. I can't really say I did much better this game attitude wise so I can't really comment on that.
camn
camn
soundtracker
camn
soundtracker
soundtracker

Post Post #3591 (ISO) » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:39 am

Post by camn »

In post 3587, Mulch wrote:I never said I was a good player
I did. Read the scumchat.
You have great instincts....you are just a NEW(ish) player. You still let Cowbells get under your skin, ffs!

There is one thing he can teach you though......bathe in the blood of your enemies. DANCE ON THIER FUCKING GRAVES!
Don't self vote.
Don't get down on yourself.
KILL EVERYONE!

This game is about murder, not logic :)
"if you weren't trying to be so unnecessarily mysterious all the time we wouldn't have these misunderstandings" - Yosarian2
Ellibereth
Ellibereth
Deus ex Machina
Ellibereth
Deus ex Machina
Deus ex Machina

Post Post #3592 (ISO) » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:01 pm

Post by Ellibereth »

CAMN THAT REP OUT WHEN MULCH AND I WERE A HYDRA WAS STILL :( :( :(
FLASH OF GREEN
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #3593 (ISO) » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:12 pm

Post by mhsmith0 »

In post 3592, Ellibereth wrote:CAMN THAT REP OUT WHEN MULCH AND I WERE A HYDRA WAS STILL :( :( :(
more like, was still awesome :P

nancy being like "oh yeah once I got around to reading smith critically instead of just tone skimming i realized he was a wolf" made me VERY happy she was out of the game :P
Show
nancy
nancy
Jack of All Trades
nancy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3594 (ISO) » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:20 pm

Post by nancy »

:2017-2018:
hi meet my mafiascum gravestone, the flowers were probably left by camn or schadd or Prism, blow them kisses for me would you?
Smocaine
Smocaine
Mafia Scum
Smocaine
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3595 (ISO) » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:53 pm

Post by Smocaine »

In post 3568, Bulbazak wrote:
In post 3486, MathBlade wrote:Ugh and Bulba you were right it was totally fake me bussing Radiant.

Was going through RL shit and Radiant was strongly suggesting things the exact opposite of how I play as scum.

And as scum sometimes I bus sometimes I don’t.
With this and Night and Day, any time I see you go down as scum from now on, I'm looking for buddies bussing you.
In post 3489, Mulch wrote: I've never seen someone as bad as Smocaine was this game, literally mislynched every person at full confidence, (got mislynched themselves?), and then has the audacity to act like an ass postgame
And this is why I said Smocaine's alignment was uncertain in Surreptitious. I was sitting in the spoiled PT watching him continually tank, so when he replaced in S2, "could be that bad" was a legit option. I just couldn't say why because a.) this game was ongoing and b.) he was still alive. I'm sorry if it came off as insulting, but this game told me not to put any weight to anything Smocaine said.
Who tf r u??
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #3596 (ISO) » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:32 pm

Post by Alisae »

In post 3595, Smocaine wrote:
In post 3568, Bulbazak wrote:
In post 3486, MathBlade wrote:Ugh and Bulba you were right it was totally fake me bussing Radiant.

Was going through RL shit and Radiant was strongly suggesting things the exact opposite of how I play as scum.

And as scum sometimes I bus sometimes I don’t.
With this and Night and Day, any time I see you go down as scum from now on, I'm looking for buddies bussing you.
In post 3489, Mulch wrote: I've never seen someone as bad as Smocaine was this game, literally mislynched every person at full confidence, (got mislynched themselves?), and then has the audacity to act like an ass postgame
And this is why I said Smocaine's alignment was uncertain in Surreptitious. I was sitting in the spoiled PT watching him continually tank, so when he replaced in S2, "could be that bad" was a legit option. I just couldn't say why because a.) this game was ongoing and b.) he was still alive. I'm sorry if it came off as insulting, but this game told me not to put any weight to anything Smocaine said.
Who tf r u??
rekt
GTKAS
| here.
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #3597 (ISO) » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:36 pm

Post by Alisae »

In post 3534, mastina wrote:What might be viable is for me to CO-mod a game.
Spoiler:
ur mine
GTKAS
| here.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #3598 (ISO) » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:35 pm

Can we not berate people when no one besides Cheeky has any claim to have played well this game as town?
camn
camn
soundtracker
camn
soundtracker
soundtracker

Post Post #3599 (ISO) » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:18 pm

Post by camn »

In post 3592, Ellibereth wrote:CAMN THAT REP OUT WHEN MULCH AND I WERE A HYDRA WAS STILL :( :( :(
That game was a little fast and large for me. I am not on computers every day unless I try.
"if you weren't trying to be so unnecessarily mysterious all the time we wouldn't have these misunderstandings" - Yosarian2

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”