Just Play the Hits uPick - Video Killed the Radio Star

Mathdino
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: February 24, 2013
Location: Right Behind You
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1250  (ISO)  » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:34 pm

In post 1245, Ranmaru wrote:
In post 338, Mathdino wrote:I asked other people weigh in on this.
Which they didn't (and you guys wonder why I haven't been able to do anything).


I think I see your problem. I feel like you could have not posted the 'the venmar X varsoon exchange is garbage' because it didn't help anyone see they were town for it, and it helped people to scum read you when you were town. (Not that I would scumread you for that, it was the SK who pushed you based on a *wall* argument lol) Basically, you leaked fuel for others to attack you, and it was entirely town as you have seen. Less is more. You say you do much better at replacing in, and that shows that you need to improve your early game. I also think you could cut out what you say in the quote and other similar things, seems passive aggressive. It reminds me of writing advice, cut out the filler, only leave things that progress the story. Would this statement really be necessary to progress the game? (IE: Lynching your scum reads)

That's why I like to have short posts. The more I say, the more chances I give for others to misunderstand me. Do remember that communication between two people is a cycle of *Think > Speak > Listen > Think > Speak*. Meaning, you think something, so you say what you think you mean, and that comes out as some form of noise that the second person has to decipher, and yet doesn't exactly know what you mean simply from what you say. All this to say that, it's damn easy to misunderstand someone and the more words you give the easier it is to find something stupid from what you were saying and you are like 'why do people misinterpret what I'm saying in this way'. (Cuz I'm saying so much that they have so much leeway to mess it all up)

Of course, it seems in the past people feel I care way more about my image then I should, but it's something I kind of have to do otherwise if I just don't filter myself same thing would happen to me because i'm scatterbrained. Also, I will agree that some of the reasons for people to scum read you were dumb lolclaim. Some were based on your interaction, and I think people generally just don't like it when a person goes 'but what you did was even more bad then what I did' so I think if you just cut those things out and just explain yourself clearly you'll do better. Also if you are gonna push a wall garbage argument, push for short and nice clean posts at the same time. It would be more pro-town. :D

this is in large part fair

the "spill my guts" thing is a learned behaviour; when i premeditated all my posts in 2013 i would get lynched a LOT for it

but when i hipfire statements i learned that it pulled a shitton of towncred from the 2014 and onward crowd. helped a lot with charisma with a lot of younger players, but it obviously resulted in "that one guy" deathtunneling me every game, usually an older player
in playerlists like these, i drown for it

i more meant that 1v1 wallposts are garbage and i wanted them to stop, because in my experience people are bad at reading 1v1 wallposting and are more likely to come to inaccurate conclusions as a result

but yeah i often find that i don't really totally know what to do in early game, so i just force SOMETHING, get scumread for it, and dig myself out of it by being a content producing machine afterwards

i wasn't sure how to allocate my posts given the geriatric post restriction though, and there were 14 other players to talk about rather than just 8
i remember being really uncomfortable writing a lot of posts, felt like i was playing scum

Ellibereth
Deus ex Machina
 
User avatar
Joined: November 06, 2009
Location: Location location location

Post Post #1251  (ISO)  » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:34 pm

i'm not not criticizing the town

but dino cares about personal improvememt and there was still a decent amount of stuff that could have been worked on here for him

I don't know if any of the others care so there's no point going "lol shoulda listened haHAA"
FLASH OF GREEN

Mathdino
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: February 24, 2013
Location: Right Behind You
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1252  (ISO)  » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:36 pm

In post 1251, Ellibereth wrote:i'm not not criticizing the town

but dino cares about personal improvememt and there was still a decent amount of stuff that could have been worked on here for him

I don't know if any of the others care so there's no point going "lol shoulda listened haHAA"

this is correct, KTS, elli and i have talked about this stuff before :P

Varsoon
Scatman
 
User avatar
Joined: February 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1253  (ISO)  » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:36 pm

In post 1197, xRECKONERx wrote:scumteam got away with murder

mollie OPENLY scumslipped by claiming she lost her vote the night Venmar had lightning rod'd everything

and btw hilariously, the scumteam vanillaized hebichan by accident



Sorry for losing this game for you, town
I was a DAYVIG and I was going to DAYVIG mollie, but I forgot it was a DAYvig and tried to kill the NIGHT that I died.
Basically, I'm retarded and it cost town the game.

I did have the scumteam right eventually tho

Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: March 07, 2011

Post Post #1254  (ISO)  » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:36 pm

Story: I say that because a short post is easy to see and digest as opposed to a longer post. I just love the idea of posting one sentence after a person posts a wall. Although, I do like your point that one shouldn't post something that puts you at a disadvantage long or short. That I can agree.

Mathdino
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: February 24, 2013
Location: Right Behind You
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1255  (ISO)  » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:36 pm

varsoon pls dont lolhammer tho

Varsoon
Scatman
 
User avatar
Joined: February 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1256  (ISO)  » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:38 pm

Sorry, I am also awful

Ellibereth
Deus ex Machina
 
User avatar
Joined: November 06, 2009
Location: Location location location

Post Post #1257  (ISO)  » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:41 pm

In post 1249, Killthestory wrote:
In post 1248, Ellibereth wrote:what

it's very likely there exists a set of words/a presentation where town considers it and may even sheep it at some point.

that's like saying wars could be avoided with a google slides powerpoint in which every leader attends.

it's possible, but sometimes it's harder to do so when townies are locked in a specific mindset. everyone has had times where you've tried everything to get your scumread pushed for it not to happen. it is the one pushing the scumread who the burden of proof falls on, but it also on town to cooperate and keep strong and evaluate every decision and action within the thread.

could the presentation been better? yeah. could town have tried looking like level 3 into mathdino and his reads? also yeah. in a mafia sweep, it's very likely the fault of everyone involved :p


fault doesn't matter, assigning blame doesn't matter
There's fairly highy probability he'll be shoved into a similar situation in nother game.
The post game rant won't help, I'd even bet that linking to this game won't help.
his post-game mindset doesn't look the most condusive to improving.
I'm here to pour a bucket over his head and remind him.
FLASH OF GREEN

Ellibereth
Deus ex Machina
 
User avatar
Joined: November 06, 2009
Location: Location location location

Post Post #1258  (ISO)  » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:44 pm

also since a large set of the people who care are in this thread

sorry for the delay on the postmorem for team maf
had a lot of work and other stuff this week
FLASH OF GREEN

xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
 
User avatar
Joined: March 15, 2009
Location: Bull City
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1259  (ISO)  » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:45 pm

In post 1253, Varsoon wrote:
In post 1197, xRECKONERx wrote:scumteam got away with murder

mollie OPENLY scumslipped by claiming she lost her vote the night Venmar had lightning rod'd everything

and btw hilariously, the scumteam vanillaized hebichan by accident



Sorry for losing this game for you, town
I was a DAYVIG and I was going to DAYVIG mollie, but I forgot it was a DAYvig and tried to kill the NIGHT that I died.
Basically, I'm retarded and it cost town the game.

I did have the scumteam right eventually tho

oh this too

varsoon PMed me that night and went "vig mollie"

and i was like "bruh read your PM"
get to know a reckoner

it's time for the CHIVE to ARRIVE

Ellibereth
Deus ex Machina
 
User avatar
Joined: November 06, 2009
Location: Location location location

Post Post #1260  (ISO)  » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:46 pm

too bad mastina video already won kodak so not point in nomming anything else
FLASH OF GREEN

Mathdino
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: February 24, 2013
Location: Right Behind You
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1261  (ISO)  » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:48 pm

In post 1260, Ellibereth wrote:too bad mastina video already won kodak so not point in nomming anything else

that's only if they stop taking the kodaks so seriously

the last few kodaks were really just "oh this group played really well this one time" when there used to be awards for exact scenarios like that

it's not fun to read back through that site history

but the N broke his thumb and the CDB video actually made me laugh and i hope they go that direction again :D

Varsoon
Scatman
 
User avatar
Joined: February 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1262  (ISO)  » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:51 pm

It was quite embarassing
i let soulja boy down

Also, Reckoner, you swore the ability I had that made my avatar into Goku served some purpose--what was it?

xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
 
User avatar
Joined: March 15, 2009
Location: Bull City
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1263  (ISO)  » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:52 pm

confirm you performed that night action and didn't target anyone
get to know a reckoner

it's time for the CHIVE to ARRIVE

beeboy
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: August 08, 2014
Location: On an adventure.

Post Post #1264  (ISO)  » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:57 pm

Town would have won if Mathdino was townier then he wouldn't have been lynched.
ah yes, beeboy style reads;
if this person flips town, then i'll townread them. - Nahdia

RIP Grape-Kun 1996 - 2017.

xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
 
User avatar
Joined: March 15, 2009
Location: Bull City
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1265  (ISO)  » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:07 pm

i actually dont know what dino couldve done
get to know a reckoner

it's time for the CHIVE to ARRIVE

beeboy
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: August 08, 2014
Location: On an adventure.

Post Post #1266  (ISO)  » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:08 pm

He could have town told more.
ah yes, beeboy style reads;
if this person flips town, then i'll townread them. - Nahdia

RIP Grape-Kun 1996 - 2017.

Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: March 07, 2011

Post Post #1267  (ISO)  » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:09 pm

In post 1250, Mathdino wrote:this is in large part fair

the "spill my guts" thing is a learned behaviour; when i premeditated all my posts in 2013 i would get lynched a LOT for it

but when i hipfire statements i learned that it pulled a shitton of towncred from the 2014 and onward crowd. helped a lot with charisma with a lot of younger players, but it obviously resulted in "that one guy" deathtunneling me every game, usually an older player
in playerlists like these, i drown for it

i more meant that 1v1 wallposts are garbage and i wanted them to stop, because in my experience people are bad at reading 1v1 wallposting and are more likely to come to inaccurate conclusions as a result

but yeah i often find that i don't really totally know what to do in early game, so i just force SOMETHING, get scumread for it, and dig myself out of it by being a content producing machine afterwards

i wasn't sure how to allocate my posts given the geriatric post restriction though, and there were 14 other players to talk about rather than just 8
i remember being really uncomfortable writing a lot of posts, felt like i was playing scum


What do you mean by hipfire? Yeah, if you follow what Elli is saying, you know how to cater to the 2014 and on audience, you just need to figure out how to cater to the older audience. I think 1v1's will happen anyway, and what you said didn't stop it or convince others to stop, so it only hurt you and was neutral when it came to fulfilling what you were saying (stopping the walls). I think town can benefit from 1v1's if they use it as a chance to understand each other. (Oh, I thought you were scum but now I understand your mindset, I back off now) I think if it went on for too long, you would be right to say 'ok guys it's time to wrap up the wall wars now, it's going in circles'. I think you not knowing what to do in early game simply means that you can still experiment and figure out what you should do in early game. Think of it as a challenge. Otherwise, if you can't find anything, better to post nothing and take notes and observe and post when you have something you feel is worth while. (Of course, playing that way probably won't challenge you to improve yourself though, up to you though) Things I like to do in early game: Post early, find something scummy, and blow it out of proportion, and gain reactions, and create discussion and go from there. Then lay off and come back later. Wagon, etc. Maybe you feel like scum because you have to play differently then you are used to, or because you feel like you have to seem town when you're town? (Although seeming town as town is good :D)

We should hydra. I focus on early game, and you focus on middle/late game. You can tell me 'hey this guys it town' and i'm like why? and you're like 'JUST CUZ' and I'm like wut. Yeah. Anyway would be interesting.

Mathdino
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: February 24, 2013
Location: Right Behind You
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1268  (ISO)  » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:10 pm

i mean i did drop towntells for my own meta + "scum would be stupid to play like this"
the problem was in doing so i guess i expected next level play
with the experienced playerlist i thought to myself "if i post enough content, they'll be able to read me easier, unlike those lurkers"

Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: March 07, 2011

Post Post #1269  (ISO)  » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:11 pm

In post 1262, Varsoon wrote:It was quite embarassing
i let soulja boy down

Also, Reckoner, you swore the ability I had that made my avatar into Goku served some purpose--what was it?


It's ok I've forgotten to submit stuff as scum before. I think I was also dayvig once and almost forgot I was dayvig too. Cept in that game I just shot a town neibhor. :oops:

Mathdino
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: February 24, 2013
Location: Right Behind You
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1270  (ISO)  » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:15 pm

In post 1267, Ranmaru wrote:What do you mean by hipfire? Yeah, if you follow what Elli is saying, you know how to cater to the 2014 and on audience, you just need to figure out how to cater to the older audience. I think 1v1's will happen anyway, and what you said didn't stop it or convince others to stop, so it only hurt you and was neutral when it came to fulfilling what you were saying (stopping the walls). I think town can benefit from 1v1's if they use it as a chance to understand each other. (Oh, I thought you were scum but now I understand your mindset, I back off now) I think if it went on for too long, you would be right to say 'ok guys it's time to wrap up the wall wars now, it's going in circles'. I think you not knowing what to do in early game simply means that you can still experiment and figure out what you should do in early game. Think of it as a challenge. Otherwise, if you can't find anything, better to post nothing and take notes and observe and post when you have something you feel is worth while. (Of course, playing that way probably won't challenge you to improve yourself though, up to you though) Things I like to do in early game: Post early, find something scummy, and blow it out of proportion, and gain reactions, and create discussion and go from there. Then lay off and come back later. Wagon, etc. Maybe you feel like scum because you have to play differently then you are used to, or because you feel like you have to seem town when you're town? (Although seeming town as town is good )

We should hydra. I focus on early game, and you focus on middle/late game. You can tell me 'hey this guys it town' and i'm like why? and you're like 'JUST CUZ' and I'm like wut. Yeah. Anyway would be interesting.

hipfire basically means me typing posts without hitting backspace

as opposed to wallposting/effortposting (you can usually tell by punctuation/capitalisation)

i picked this style up from droog when he had a surprising amount of ability to be townread for it (and manage to push lynches

my early game town playbook is basically "find someone to early wagon who isn't clearly town and get reactions from them and other players who jump on or off the wagon". i think i mentioned earlier where that playbook doesnt account for "the guy just lurks the fuck out of D1 entirely" and i wasn't big on moving off the godel wagon since i didn't even have scumreads at the time, and i hate removing pressure votes before the pressure is applied
basically i didn't calibrate my play around those niche scenarios because i expected something different than what i should've

also while i'd love to take up players on their hydra offers, i ALWAYS get scumread in hydrae (i don't really deal well with dissonance?) and if i'm not, we basically get shot N1 every time :P
should play a game together normally and rand town together that sweet 53% of the time tbh

Mathdino
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: February 24, 2013
Location: Right Behind You
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1271  (ISO)  » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:16 pm

In post 1269, Ranmaru wrote:
In post 1262, Varsoon wrote:It was quite embarassing
i let soulja boy down

Also, Reckoner, you swore the ability I had that made my avatar into Goku served some purpose--what was it?


It's ok I've forgotten to submit stuff as scum before. I think I was also dayvig once and almost forgot I was dayvig too. Cept in that game I just shot a town neibhor. :oops:

i once forgot to shoot scum fakeclaiming my role as vigilante lol

still won though

Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: March 07, 2011

Post Post #1272  (ISO)  » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:22 pm

I get what you mean. I was serious in asking you why you town read me in the team mafia game, other then 'sauce replace/team comp'. Well, you know what to do. Effort post then, less hipfire. I think we should still try the hydra. I think hydraing is good as you can understand how each person's mind works while also playing at the same time. Hydra Dissonance? I wouldn't post any. What we'd do is make united reads, and take turns voting to pressure, and promise not to come in and retract a vote on a town read or something, instead talk and take care of that internally.

Kublai Khan
Khan Man
 
User avatar
Joined: August 05, 2008
Location: Sarasota, FL

Post Post #1273  (ISO)  » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:32 pm

In post 1240, Mathdino wrote:explain exactly what about this post for example was shit

In post 343, Mathdino wrote:I'm a towntell reliant player.

Scum-Assembler in the situation where he wakes up and decides "hey I think the post I make is going to be one about how cool and pro-town I'm being reducing the effect of my negative ability!"
He doesn't go into the thread, say "Hey I found something" and just fucking leave without placing a vote. He's not a total idiot, and I'm making the assumption that he at least uses his one liner once-per-2-days posts to try to survive as scum.
Scum-Assembler feels like he'd go in and actually elaborate and make it clear that he's totally doing what's best for the town (rather than not explaining at all), and then posts a vote.

So yeah, towntell, he's just genuinely fuckin useless.

because it was 100% right and so far i have a good record of reading assemblerotws after my first game with him

Five posts earlier, you said a totally brain dead post wasn't brain dead which heavily implies that it has merit on it's surface. I ask you about it and you make the above post which is a completely different read/take on the post. You state that Assemblerrotws is useless and therefore town. It's a different take.

From my POV, you didn't explain your stance, you changed it. Sorry for not being able to towntell inconsistency. I'm sure maybe it was consistent in your mind, but it was't in practice. Then I voted you and you launched into a survival-motivated tirade about how nobody should lynch you because you are god's gift to mafia. Then you made one of the worst roleclaims I've ever seen.

So congrats on having better reads than me. No kidding, your reads were fantastic.
Occasionally intellectually honest

Mathdino
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: February 24, 2013
Location: Right Behind You
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1274  (ISO)  » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:33 pm

@Ranmaru: when i have good reasons for townreading someone, almost everything else becomes invalid

i just have a decent feel for what posts scum doesn't make
i don't have a great feel for what posts TOWN doesn't make

i did this game by figuring my entire wagon was town except cooldog and extrapolating the gamestate from there
- 1 scum in gamma/hebichan
- retaliatory D2 wagon on me indicated scum pivot, so mollie
- third scum probably a lurker, and i was TRing skrewslot, assembleslot, etc, so scumhammer seemed most likely, so UT

had very little to do with scumhunting and had a lot to do with me forcefully rejecting lynchbaity reasons to scumread people in favour of very good singular reasons to townread people

that's usually where the "magic" comes from, and it's tough to share those reads because people are like "wow okay you have 1 piece of evidence ranmaru is town while i have a mountain of evidence ranmaru is scum" and it always defaults back to "well your townread could've just faked that, mathdino"

anyway interesting idea

i will consider it :P

PreviousNext
[ + ]

Return to Completed Large Theme Games