Starcraft Mafia -- Game Over!

Large Theme Games (based on source material and/or changes to mechanics/rules) (14+ players). Signup Threads In Queue Forum
Nauci
Mafia Scum

Pronoun: She

Post Post #5375  (ISO)  » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:30 am

In post 5338, Mitillos wrote:not a first-person shooter

Hey now

most first person shooters are cooperative

Mitillos
Mafia Scum

Pronoun: He

Post Post #5376  (ISO)  » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:32 am

Fine, then. Not a single-player fps, where you are the hero of your own story.
You don't have ambiguity; you have options.

the worst
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #5377  (ISO)  » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:35 am

amusingly some mafia communities use FPS to refer to "fancy player syndrome" which is where a player like... openly plays to some kinda agenda which is often extravagant to their actual role (e.g. vt claiming TPR to try and bait a night kill, etc., etc.)

quite appropriate

NM just has fairly good reads tho
"He's very bad at quacking. Possibly even the worst."
- vonflare, presumably on someone else

Mitillos
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5378  (ISO)  » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:40 am

A read has two parts. Its content and its explanation. N_M's reads were only halfway formed, in that they had no explanations. The same is true of any read where the justification is "gut", and never goes beyond that. This is what I mean when I say mafia is co-op. The town has to actually work together, not just post reads and votes. When others ask for justifications you should be prepared to give them, otherwise your reads are worthless irrespective of their accuracy.
You don't have ambiguity; you have options.

Nauci
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5379  (ISO)  » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:45 am

If you can get NM to pipe up we should just go ahead and crown you king of the universe

the worst
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #5380  (ISO)  » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:48 am

I mean normal NM iso is

[great gif here]

your mum

VOTE: someone

someone else wrote:hey budy why are you voting someone

because they're scum

someone is scum

I think you and NM are very different people :P

Nauci
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5381  (ISO)  » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:50 am

I have 700 fucking posts here

that's like my 12 other games combined

I think that's all my WIM for 2019

see y'all in 2020

the worst
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #5382  (ISO)  » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:54 am

....... :<

Kokichi Oma
Survivor

Post Post #5383  (ISO)  » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:10 pm

Tfw lynched as IC
How do you expect to find the culprit when you're all worried about each other's feelings? If you're planning to expose a liar, then you have to corner them psychologically.

Shoshin
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5384  (ISO)  » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:33 pm

I like NM's style of play, personally. I think the super bare players like him are very easy to read most of the time, which is fun when you're town, and they're super easy to mislynch when you're scum, which is fun when you're scum. And plus, NM always makes me laugh and his reads are sometimes good.

Varsoon
Scatman

Post Post #5385  (ISO)  » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:45 pm

Shoshin--why did you repeatedly ground my criticism of your play as personal issues?
And can you please never do so again?

mastina
Memorable Event

Post Post #5386  (ISO)  » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:25 pm

In post 5279, Nauci wrote:
In post 5271, mastina wrote:swingy as fuck, yes, but given it was pseudo-multiball, that was going to be a given

I think that the roles in the setup are mostly fine

but to me, the issue is that anti-town roles had enormous amounts of setup information, while the vast majority of town roles did not? I guess I should have assumed fuckery was at foot just because of how precise the explanation of my cop results were, but for some reason I just didn't think it was reasonable to think things were this fucky. Maybe that's just me though.
Uh.
Town had both Varsoon and Nancy? Plus TWO investigatives? The modifier cop was essentially a rolecop, capable of catching almost all of the antitown, whose claims wouldn't match their results.
Plus a full cop.

Scum had a rolecop, but think of what roles would be caught by the town's equivalent. Not to mention, how it had a full inno result that was discarded.
Mewtawp TOLD the town that Kokichi had a town modifier. After lynching Mew, this was utterly discarded, but was an important detail I feel most players are forgetting.

Sticks McGee: Infiltrating the Complex is coming to Mish Mash...as soon as I draw the hundreds of images necessary!
Ballroom Blitz has ended!

Xtoxm
EBWOXM

Post Post #5387  (ISO)  » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:28 pm

modifiers mean fuck all. scum can have a macho modifier in multiball easy
you seem to be forgetting that he claimed IC and never came good on it
you havent done fucking anything ever in this game.
if this is your towngame you should be embarrassed, feel bad and promptly stop signing up for games. -- Gorkington

Smooth as silk when he's scum, and very much capable of running things from behind the scenes while appearing to be doing minimal effort. - Almost50

Krazy
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5388  (ISO)  » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:29 pm

In post 5322, Varsoon wrote:Didn't FEEL like I had ANY POWER when I literally had no way to win the last phase of the game.

Yeah I'm sorry it went that way for you Varsoon, I couldn't resolve the game because until they had the numbers over Shoshin they couldn't win, but town was not in a winnable position the last dayphase.
vote conspiracy

Krazy
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5389  (ISO)  » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:31 pm

In post 5324, Varsoon wrote:Starcraft 2 when that rolls around unless you can confirm it is not multiball.

Starcraft 2 is confirmed not multiball and will have significantly less swing than is present here. It will be 11 town vs 3 scum.
vote conspiracy

Varsoon
Scatman

Post Post #5390  (ISO)  » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:38 pm

Ay then pre-in me for it
None of dat nonsense pls and thx

Krazy
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5391  (ISO)  » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:39 pm

In post 5335, Varsoon wrote:Except we didn't lynch and she still didn't win.
It's not about 'possibility' of ending, it's about the reality of what's in the setup going into the final phase
If a win literally was impossible, as it was here, from what I can tell, then game should have ended.

The game was de facto over the last day phase. I thought about calling it there but given that all it took was scum no lynching I thought I'd play it out to be on the safe side since it should have gone fast regardless. Scum had already kinda thrown me once off when they bussed Performer, when I thought the game was actually going to end there with a no lynch/rb. I think given that things kept surprising me I did not want to call a game early where the scum team kept doing unexpected things.
vote conspiracy

Varsoon
Scatman

Post Post #5392  (ISO)  » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:39 pm

If you'll have me, I mean
Sorry for being such a grump
I'm not a morning person and waking up this the loss here really soured my grapes

Krazy
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5393  (ISO)  » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:52 pm

In post 5344, Varsoon wrote:I really don't like being jerked around and how the setup shook out, it was like a fucking nightmare specifically designed to jerk me around
OF COURSE I would be kept alive all the way through a LYLO I could literally never win.

To be clear, I did not actually design Nancy's role to fuck with your role in particular... I wanted each person who had a "doppelganger" to know they had a doppelganger so that they would know they needed to be prepared to explain that their flavor to the town after the scum flip of their evil opponent.
vote conspiracy

Varsoon
Scatman

Post Post #5394  (ISO)  » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:54 pm

I've pretty much learned that it's best to just build wincons around auto-success when they've got the numbers
Like, yeah, sure, scum COULD bus, but that just leads to playing out days that are unnecessary.

P-EDIT:
Ah, wish you would've taken into consideration the fact that since the scum side knew the role counterparts, they'd be looking to bait them, but that'd also make a soft-claim of flavor-informed look hard suspicious to the town who are flavor-informed, too.

Krazy
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5395  (ISO)  » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:05 pm

Actually Performer was not informed that Nancy was his doppelganger, only Keyser was informed that you two were doppelgangers. And Keyser and you were not informed that Miti was another doppelganger, so you have a fair point that your role had a higher than average mindf*ck value.
vote conspiracy

Varsoon
Scatman

Post Post #5396  (ISO)  » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:10 pm

Yeah it really bothered me when I realized Nancy was highly likely town and that if my role had worthwhile utility, I had just compromised it.
But even outting my role couldn't save us. Hm. :/

Kokichi, never fake an IC claim again and I won't either, okay?

Krazy
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5397  (ISO)  » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:14 pm

I think if you and Nancy had gotten past the frustration of the moment Nancy might have asked whether her roleblock could have produced your no kill result

I think the exchange was important but there was too much chafing to get to the important information (even if it would have been incorrect there it might have helped xtoxm out his correct denial on Performer which also would have helped Nauci understand why she got no result).

Given that you had a soft guilty from the denied kill I don't think outing there was incorrect, town just didn't quite connect all the dots to get the Performer lynch pushed through.
vote conspiracy

Krazy
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5398  (ISO)  » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:07 pm

Starcraft Mafia: 2 is now in signups!
vote conspiracy

Performer
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5399  (ISO)  » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:39 pm

In post 5184, Krazy wrote:During the night, Varsoon was killed. He was shot!

Shoshin has been endgamed!

The Zerg scumteam of Keyser Söze, the worst, and Performer are victorious! Mitillos also wins with them!

GG

Oh man!!!!!!!!! What a game. :twisted:
In post 5199, Shoshin wrote:Dam, so close. I'm sad I lost but glad it was a competitive game to the end. I never want to be scum again. I hate being Evil.

Also, whoever questioned my early townreading strategy was 100% right to do so. In my PM with Krazy I said that was my strategy before even doing it - just townread lots of players in hopes they'd townread me too, lol...

I knew something was off about you from the start! :cool:
The Pretender

PreviousNext
[ + ]

Return to Theme Park