Warehouse 13: The Mafia Game (Game Over)

mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #4800 (ISO) » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:05 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 4799, mastina wrote:Btw I made a nomination in part from this game. <3
Pagetopping this. <3
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #4801 (ISO) » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:44 am

Post by fferyllt »

I seconded SirCakez' nom of penguin_alien, our most Benevelent Host, for Paperback Writer.
In post 27, fferyllt wrote:
Paperback Writer
04/12/21
fferyllt penguin_alien Warehouse 13: The Mafia Game
penguin_alien outdid herself as a thematic writer in Warehouse 13. Which isn't easy! She's a deft and creative game flavor writer who always weaves the game events with impeccable, on point flavor. Not only was the event/flavor weaving amazingly well done, and not only did the role cards encapsulate each character's relevance to the game as well as to the theme. As players, we expect these aspects of a high-flavor game and some of us probably take that level of writing for granted. PA went so far beyond that, though. Each artifact (a fascinating game mechanic in its own right) was described in loving detail. Every communication - every death notification, every artifact transfer PM was lore-accurate and flavoricious. Even the private thread titles was built on Warehouse 13 lore -- not lifted from the series -- built upon it.

The game in toto was an extrapolation of the Warehouse 13 world in a mafia game setting. By comparison, many theme games weld pieces of flavor onto a mafia game format. In this game, penguin_alien melded the Warehouse 13 concept and mafia game frameworks into a captivating whole that I'm struggling to do justice to in this write-up.

The feature of her writing that impressed me most during the game was the dialogue. PA nailed the voices of every character who spoke in the game scenes. These weren't simply lifted from episodes. The dialog was crafted for the game, for the event, and served to further players' sense of being in the Warehouse 13 world, not just playing a game about it.

This is a level of writing that I think will inspire other theme mods to up their storytelling levels and strive to make their games equally immersive.
Amid the pressure of great events, a general principle gives no help.

Idic

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”