jjh927
jjh927
Survivor
jjh927
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7525 (ISO) » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:49 am

Post by jjh927 »

In post 7523, unwnd wrote:I'm not engaging in that conversation, either of you.

You wanna be right? Be right. I don't fucking care. Don't sign up for my games in the determined future. That's your freedom and I will not take that from you.
I think the conversation is worth having since I think the listmod involved who approved the modkill also did not properly understand or react proportionately to the rule in question. One game is no big deal, but I'm more concerned about the matter of consistency across games on site, as this is a higher level misunderstanding. This is completely independent of arguments regarding the quality of Mastina's paraphrasing, although I'm quite prepared to argue in that arena as well. I don't appreciate that you're hiding your head in the sand over a possible error of judgment when this is something you could learn from.

It is a site rule- "Do not quote communications with the moderator (in particular, your role PM). Paraphrasing is usually ok."
I believe that to 'quote' requires attribution or to be presented in such a way as for a person to assume that the words stated belonged to someone else, in this case the moderator.

Consider the following scenario:
In a theme game, a player aligned with the mafia claims to have the exact same role as a dead town player who had already publicly flipped, even though they do not have such a role. They then proceed to use that role PM as a base, change the player name, image, and any flavour names in the flipped role PM to suit themselves, and then they post it, claiming that it is the role PM they received from the mod.

I believe that player would certainly be modkilled under this rule as quoting private communications from the moderator. However, they would not have actually copy pasted any private communication from the moderator- everything copy pasted would have been public knowledge, as well as not being something that they received. This would be because to quote the moderator requires attribution- and it does not require the content to be truthfully the words used by the moderator. Therefore, the words used in themself do not actually matter. The way that the 'quote' is presented is absolutely key, both in terms of how much damage is caused to the game, and in terms of whether the rule has been broken. I believe that as Mastina did not attribute any words to the moderator, there was no damage to the gamestate. I would also note that no players suddenly believed Mastina's claim
as a result of the way it was presented
, which is the only form of damage to the gamestate that a transgression against this rule could possibly cause. As a game moderator, you do not modkill when there is no damage to the gamestate. A modkill is a last ditch damage control when there is no other option available.
"As best I can tell, jjh is some kind of wizard with mind control powers." -Jingle
unwnd
unwnd
Jack of All Trades
unwnd
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7526 (ISO) » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:56 am

Post by unwnd »

Have the conversation somewhere else.

Have it with a listmod.

If you've already had it with a listmod, I don't know how to help you.

This is not me defending my pride or anything like that, it's just a matter of choosing to move on.
Stop
unwnd
unwnd
Jack of All Trades
unwnd
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7527 (ISO) » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:58 am

Post by unwnd »

''I don't appreciate that you're hiding your head in the sand over a possible error of judgment when this is something you could learn from."

I already told you I don't care about being right. I did what I did and I can't undo that. I also can't undo the multiple mod errors I made which I strongly regret. I could be the wrongest man in the world and the worst mod possible. It doesn't undo what happened and doesn't undo my feelings towards it. Bringing this back up is effectively sticking my nose in my "mistake" like a dog and telling me this is something I could learn from. I genuinely see it that way.
Last edited by unwnd on Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stop
unwnd
unwnd
Jack of All Trades
unwnd
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7528 (ISO) » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:06 am

Post by unwnd »

The fact you believe that I wanted to modkill mastina upsets me. I never want to modkill anyone. I stand by this and will defend my claim in a hundred different timelines. I did not want to modkill mastina, I merely did what I felt was right at the time. Does that..make it always right? No because context matters and people have different interpretations. In that instance it was right because this is my game and I made a decision. The game is over now however and I won't always make the same decision. If you think me shutting this down is because of my own vindication then that
is
something you're wrong about. I have no personal problem with mastina or even you despite this argument. So why exactly do you have it against me? What are you personally gaining or what is the site enriching upon having this.
Stop
jjh927
jjh927
Survivor
jjh927
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7529 (ISO) » Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:10 am

Post by jjh927 »

Honestly, an acknowledgment that you made a mistake and an apology recognising that the modkill did in fact damage the game in a way that Mastina's post did not would go a long way
"As best I can tell, jjh is some kind of wizard with mind control powers." -Jingle
Toogeloo
Toogeloo
Jack of All Trades
Toogeloo
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7530 (ISO) » Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:11 am

Post by Toogeloo »

My paraphrasing skills are amazing.
Chara
Chara
it/its
Jack of All Trades
Chara
it/its
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: it/its

Post Post #7531 (ISO) » Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:13 am

Post by Chara »

i think this is a pretty important discussion to have regarding modkilling and what constitutes paraphrasing vs. quoting, and not some kind of personal attack.
"Sibling," Farkran asked, starting slowly.
"The CORE is full of lasers, and Chemist1422's entire existence depends on her eye. If she looks into a laser, she will almost certainly die. Did you think about that?"
"Oh yes, my brother. I love thinking about that."
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #7532 (ISO) » Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:16 am

Post by Cabd »

I would have modkilled there too. This exact situation occurred in Tenet and it was the right call there, too.

It fucking sucks to be in that position. But that is the laws and framework we operate under.
Show
Have retired for good; Life is too busy to have time or energy for mafia. It was fun~

And then, a Miracle, a Dance Game and a flight of fancy struck, one more game into the abyss
MURDERCAT
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #7533 (ISO) » Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:17 am

Post by MURDERCAT »

In post 138, Toogeloo wrote:unwnd is totally stoned face for this. I joked if I should roll a d20 for a skill check on my night action... Didn't even get a "lol" out of them.

Anyways. I have a pretty questionable innate action, and even more questionably use SP skill.

My innate skill is I can check people's current HP. I checked Save The Dragons last night (random.org). They have 3 HP. Comparatively, I have 5 HP.

My other ability, which costs 2 SP is to check a target and see if they are using SP as well the same night. I didn't use it last night.

My "class," is called Sovereign. I'm royalty or something.
In post 138, Toogeloo wrote:
Spoiler: Toogeloo was..
Sovereign -
Those of royal blood from kingdoms large and small. Their orders raise morale to turn the tide.

--
You are
TOWN

HP: 5
ATK: 1

Staff (Innate) [Damaging] - Choose a target. That target will be hit for 1 damage.

Negotiation (Innate) [Active] - Choose a target. You will learn how much current HP they have.

Royal Lineage (2 SP) [Active] - Choose a target. You will learn if they have spent SP the previous stratum or not.
GTKAMURDERCAT

Retired from playing, find me on discord
MURDERCAT
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7534 (ISO) » Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:18 am

Post by MURDERCAT »

Spoiler: mastina
In post 369, unwnd wrote:After talking it through with listmods, I (under the guidance of listmods) have decided to modkill mastina. I may have made a grevious mistake not clarifying that you
cannot quote verbatim
from your role PM. This should be a sacred rule that everyone clearly understands. I do not want to run games like this and have people not respect MS tradition. I will be adding this rule explictly in the OP just so nobody tries this again. I do not want to be harsh, but I have a game to maintain.

--

I would like to carefully go over the offenses with you:

Here is mastina's claim.
My non-SP ability is Charm Eye. I target a player and they are Charmed. (No clue what Charmed means, my role PM doesn't specify.)
Charming counts as a form of marking.
(And is the only form of marking I have.)

My 1-SP ability is Chain Circle. I
bind the target, negating all support done to them--
useful for the town if I target scum, but harmful to the town if I target town, because it's by my understanding basically negating buffs to the target. Preventing scum buffs pro-town, preventing town buffs anti-town.

My 2-SP ability is Nerve Circle. I
ensnare my target in a circle--anyone targeting that player takes 2 HP in damage.
This basically turns my target into a form of PGO. Incredibly pro-town if I target a player scum target as it damages scum. Incredibly anti-town if I target a player town target.

My 3-SP ability is Curse Circle. I curse my target to be
unable to be healed by utility abilities.
Again, incredibly pro-town if I target scum to stop them from healing, but incredibly anti-town if I target town to stop them from healing.

My fourth ability, Dispel, 2-SP, is dispelling the curse circle. Doing so heals me for 2 HP.

My passive, Enlightenment, makes me gain 1 SP every time I successfully mark someone.

I win when I mark 5 players.
(Which means had I gotten a N0 action in I could've won on D5 but now it's pushed back to D6 at the earliest.)
A target doesn't need to be alive to count.
So basically if nothing causes my marks to fail I automatically would win on D6 if I got five marks off.
Now here is Mastina's role PM. I have omitted any other information that she did not claim, just for security purposes.

Now let me show you how Mastina could've claimed her abilities without verbatim, just as an extra exercise:
I have 5 abilities. They are Charm Eye, Chain Circle, Nerve Circle, Curse Circle, and Dispel. I also have a Passive that lets me gain SP when I mark them. I have to mark a few people (about 5) in order to achieve my wincon.

My Charm Eye does the mark thing which I need to do in order to achieve my wincon.

My other ability is Chain Circle, I can 'bind' someone and that will make support not work on them? Not sure what support means here but I'm just paraphrasing.

My Nerve Circle works where I cast a spell on them so they can't be healed anymore. Could be pro-town?

My Dispel heals me based on my curse circle, so if I target someone with Curse Circle I could heal off of it instead.
Done. Finished. Perfectly reasonable.
Do not quote verbatim.
Be creative in your claims and be considerate of me and everyone else. I do not know if mastina meant to be disrespectful, but I personally took offense by this.

Mastina has been converted to independent survivor and has suffered a fatal heart attack.
The day will resume soon.

Do not discuss this event. Move on as if it never happened. Thank you.
GTKAMURDERCAT

MURDERCAT
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7535 (ISO) » Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:19 am

Post by MURDERCAT »

I don't really think these compare and I agreed with the modkill
GTKAMURDERCAT

jjh927
jjh927
Survivor
jjh927
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7536 (ISO) » Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:22 am

Post by jjh927 »

Those who agree with the modkill-

What damage to the game did Mastina cause?
MURDERCAT
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7537 (ISO) » Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:25 am

Post by MURDERCAT »

You have to have consistent rules, you can't decide whether or not to apply them based on gamestate as
that
can easily have an outside influence on the game. It's why the appearance of breaking a rule is treated the same as actually breaking a rule.
GTKAMURDERCAT

Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #7538 (ISO) » Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:26 am

Post by Cabd »

In post 7537, MURDERCAT wrote:You have to have consistent rules, you can't decide whether or not to apply them based on gamestate as
that
can easily have an outside influence on the game. It's why the appearance of breaking a rule is treated the same as actually breaking a rule.
^

It was cut and dry, had mod, backup mod, and skittle signoff.
Show
Have retired for good; Life is too busy to have time or energy for mafia. It was fun~

And then, a Miracle, a Dance Game and a flight of fancy struck, one more game into the abyss
jjh927
jjh927
Survivor
jjh927
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7539 (ISO) » Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:29 am

Post by jjh927 »

But the bar for what constitutes paraphrasing is anything but consistent, as it would vary dramatically from moderator to moderator

The exact scenarios for when game damage is caused by a transgression of that rule, on the other hand, are extremely consistent. The player must present information in a way that is either directly attributed or appears to be attributed to the moderator
Bell
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Sharp Note
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #7540 (ISO) » Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:30 am

Post by Bell »

I’m trying to understand what people want out of this post-game.
jjh927
jjh927
Survivor
jjh927
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7541 (ISO) » Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:31 am

Post by jjh927 »

If you looked at Mastina's post without knowledge of role PMs, could you tell if a single phrase was from unwnd and not from Mastina paraphrasing? That's an easy litmus test that could be carried about by a listmod in response to this kind of thing before they authorise a modkill
SirCakez
SirCakez
he/him
Is A Lie
SirCakez
he/him
Is A Lie
Is A Lie

Post Post #7542 (ISO) » Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:33 am

Post by SirCakez »

I've had to do a mod kill for quoting part of role PM recently too and I agree with unwnd's decision here as well.
Brian Skies - "
I just wanna say Cakez is an evil mod and this is an evil setup.
"

--------------------
Get to know a Cakez!
notscience
notscience
Survivor
notscience
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7543 (ISO) » Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:35 am

Post by notscience »

I like mastina. But she’s been in enough games that she should know where the line is, and should also know that modkills only come down from skittles.

Take it up with them. Games over. It was the right call.
Show
STRIKE HARD

STRIKE FAST

NO MERCY
Bell
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Sharp Note

Post Post #7544 (ISO) » Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:35 am

Post by Bell »

Is this just asking for an apology on a ruling? Or is this a site wide thing?
MURDERCAT
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7545 (ISO) » Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:35 am

Post by MURDERCAT »

I think it's actually pretty clear, don't have multiple word phrases in your claim that come directly from your role pm and definitely don't do that multiple times.
I felt the need to make sure unwnd knew that at least I thought the decision was reasonable, but I agree with Bell that this probably isn't worth discussing further here.
GTKAMURDERCAT

Bell
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Sharp Note

Post Post #7546 (ISO) » Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:36 am

Post by Bell »

Who is skittle?
SirCakez
SirCakez
he/him
Is A Lie
SirCakez
he/him
Is A Lie
Is A Lie

Post Post #7547 (ISO) » Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:37 am

Post by SirCakez »

Skittles = listmods
Brian Skies - "
I just wanna say Cakez is an evil mod and this is an evil setup.
"

--------------------
Get to know a Cakez!
Bell
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Sharp Note

Post Post #7548 (ISO) » Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:39 am

Post by Bell »

That’s adorable.
Dunnstral
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Goodfellas

Post Post #7549 (ISO) » Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:14 am

Post by Dunnstral »

You are making two different arguments right now jjh. You are saying that this mod kill was in error, and you are also that the bar for paraphrasing role pms should be changed

If you think that the bar should be changed, that is a fair discussion to have for future cases, but it doesn't have bearing on this game. The bar is back there in a place you don't agree with, and you can't get mad at all three of the people who agreed with where the bar was, just because you think it should be in a different place. These are different conversations. Basically, you can say that the Mastina kill shouldn't have happened because you don't agree with the rules, but you can't say that the ruling was applied incorrectly.

That's my take, I didn't want Mastina to have been modkilled either.

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”