SPACE DANDY II QUEUE (20/20)

For archiving signup threads after their corresponding games are complete.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

SPACE DANDY II QUEUE (20/20)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:16 am

Post by Varsoon »

SPACE DANDY MAFIA II SIGNUP THREAD (20/20)

WHAT IS A 'SPACE DANDY'?
Spoiler:
Space Dandy: he's a dandy guy in space. He combs the galaxy like his pompadour, on the hunt for aliens. Planet after planet he searches, discovering bizarre new creatures both friendly and not. These are the spectacular adventures of Space Dandy and his brave space crew in space.

Space Dandy is a 2014 animated series that featured most of the working staff of cult classic, Cowboy Bebop. Funimation, in partnership the studio Bones, aired Space Dandy in America before the Japanese airing of episodes--Space Dandy was an integral part of the relaunched Toonami block on Cartoon Network. Every episode of Space Dandy is a self-contained adventure that is animated by its own storyboarder, leading the show to be a veritable showcase of different animation styles. Both seasons of Space Dandy may be streamed, for free, from Funimation's official site.

The goal of this Mafia game is to reproduce the bombastic adventures of the show and render its various core elements into Mafia mechanics. I have already run a Space Dandy game before; the reason I am retreading the same material is out of passion for the source material as well as desire to test mechanics that work as a more flavorful 'fit' to Space Dandy than any other theme I was considering running. I am also testing some very special public mechanics that are designed to alleviate the usual problems that plague large games such as rampant lurking, decline in interest after Day 1, and heavy swing. This game will require its players to consider several avenues of play based on both private and public mechanics. Notably, this game has far less 'moving parts' than previous games of mine; this is no SaGa Frontier Mafia. That said, there are some aspects of the setup that are very experimental and skirt the line of what may be considered Bastard. My focus in this game was primarily on creating a set of public mechanics that drove player interest rather than singular, private roles. I hope that you will enjoy playing and reading Space Dandy Mafia II. Space Dandy is one of my favorite pieces of entertainment--I love Space Dandy and I love MafiaScum; I hope to share my passion for both through this game.

WHAT IS A 'VARSOON GAME'? WHAT SORT OF GAME SHOULD I EXPECT HERE?
Spoiler:
Space Dandy Mafia II will be a 20 player Large Theme game played in the form of two smaller, 10 player games.

As a moderator with a deep passion for rhetoric, expect a game with mechanics that will always supplement the rhetoric of the game rather than the usual sort of roles that are supplemented by rhetoric. My games are typical Role Madness games--I like to give every player some sort of unique 'something' to play with in tandem with the actual game. I try to include very engaging public mechanics in order to retain player interest, which can be a difficult thing to do in the Large games that I like to run.

'Varsoon Games' are typically characterized by heavy flavor, high quality moderation, and unpredictable yet satisfying mechanics. I am very cognizant of my moderator meta and I constantly keep even seasoned fans on their toes. I have achieved a Master's Degree in writing Fiction; I enjoy writing involved flavor that reflects the sensibilities of players and the game state while not revealing anything that would give a mechanical advantage. I also take Mafia very seriously; I spend over 8 hours a day with access to the site, always with a tab open, refreshing my games, re-reading them, and so on--even when I worked full time and went to college, I accomplished this endeavor. For me, Mafia is a labor of love and a full-time job. I want to deliver the quality experience that I came to love on this site. My games, hopefully, represent that.

As far as moderation goes, I see online Mafia moderation the same way I do moderating a face-to-face game with my friends. I am here to ensure all of my friends and guests have a fun time playing a game we all enjoy. That said, Mafia does get intense. Mafia is psychological. Mafia can feature very aggressive rhetoric. We lynch people here. I love those aspects of the game, and I want them to be in a game, although they will always run risk of ruining the experience for some players. I am far less draconic in my moderation than other moderators. I will always err on the side of the player. That said, I have no patience for players who do break the rules. Do not play my game if you are habitually in trouble with moderators and other players. I'll do everything I can to keep you in-game and having a fun time, but if you cross the line and it's clear you intentionally broke a rule, I will have no mercy in my judgment.

I do not enforce Blacklists, Wisdom of the Crowds, Wisdom of the One, or any similar requests to prohibit players from playing. The only players not welcome in my games are banned players. Do not ask me to prohibit a player from joining for personal reasons; I will never do so unless they currently have a ban or restriction. Everyone is welcome at my table. If you have a personal problem with a player, come to a happy agreement with them before creating drama in my signup thread or in my game. If you absolutely can't play with someone else, do not sign up for a game of mine if they are in the player list. If you do, I will allow you in, but don't think I'm going to shunt the other player because of your personal issues. I want everyone to get together and have fun here. I fully support even bitter rivals playing at the same table and learning to overcome their own differences in order to have fun with something we all enjoy.

PUBLIC MECHANICS MAKING A DEBUT IN SPACE DANDY II:

HEY EVERETT, WHAT AM I LIKE IN YOUR WORLD?
Spoiler:
Space Dandy Mafia II is a 20 player game that will be played across two separate, private threads.
10 Players will begin the game in each 'Dimension', which will be private game threads.
Players may only vote for and submit actions (under most circumstances) for the players in their current Dimension.
There will also be a public game thread, but it will always be locked.
If a lynch happens in either Dimension, both Dimensions are locked and night phase begins.
Between these two Dimensions, the scum team will only be able to commit a single kill at night.
The Public Game Thread will be where all death flips and other public events are recorded and where players can see who, on the playerlist, is in each Dimension.
Players will have mechanical abilities to transfer themselves from one dimension to another. Transferring dimensions ALWAYS resolves last in NAR.

YOU KNOW, IT WOULD BE FASTER JUST TO FLY.
Spoiler:
The game will begin with a 21st player slot filled by a Neutral player representing the Dandy Crew's Aloha Oe space ship.
However, the Aloha Oe can sometimes break down and be in need of repairs; this will change the functionality of its various abilities.
Every day, a player is elected to be the new Captain of the Aloha Oe by popular vote--the Captain chooses a crew between 2 and 4 members.
In the case that a popular verdict is not reached, there is no mutiny and the previous Captain becomes the next 'elected' Captain.
The current Captain and Crew of the Aloha Oe is always public information.
The elected Captain is protected from kills during the night following the day phase that he is elected.
The game will begin with a preset Captain and Crew, but a new Captain can be elected each day.
Aloha Oe will grant a neighborhood to all Crew of the Aloha Oe regardless of it it needs repairs.
Aloha Oe's Captain will gain specific abilities that only he will know about--these abilities are tied to the Aloha Oe itself, with some abilities that are standard to all Captains and many others that are unique per player.
Aloha Oe's Captain may have the Aloha Oe use an ability to change dimensions during either Day or Night, so long as it does not need repairs.
Unlike transferring Dimensions with a role-related ability, transferring Dimensions with the Aloha Oe happens right before Kills resolve in NAR, so an elusive crew could skip Dimensions to avoid being killed!
However, if the Aloha Oe is targeted by a kill, the Aloha Oe will need repairs after crashing into the new Dimension.
Keep in mind that having Aloha Oe travel at night does render it capable of being interrupted by any other actions that could stop it!
Aloha Oe will perform a SENSOR scan for how many scum are in a dimension at the start of each day, so long as it does not need repairs--this gets reported to every member of the Aloha Oe Crew.
Aloha Oe can be lynched or killed, which will cause it to spend the next two phases 'repairing' itself. A lynched Aloha Oe is not functional during the night of its lynch and the following day. A killed Aloha Oe is not functional during the day after the kill and following night.

WARNING!

Spoiler:
This is not a bastard game by the standard definitions used on-site, however, it certainly skirts the line of what could be considered bastard.
At the very least, this will be a highly unusual game that is about as non-normal as it gets. If you sign up for this game, do so knowing that this game will contain elements that some players may consider bastard, although it does not fall under the as-defined outlines for what qualifies a game as such. If you're looking for a typical mafia game or even a typical theme game, you will not find one here. This game has plenty of strange, unpredictable, bombacious mechanics and interactions that make it an outlier even among games I have run. That said, the setup was built around this and should be quite enjoyable, competitive, and engaging nevertheless. Please keep this in mind while signing up and while playing.

CURRENT PLAYERLIST

Elbirn

Blackest Magick
(Xtoxm and Pokerface hydra)
Alchemist21

Klingoncelt

Do A Barrel Roll
(hiplop & 3dicerolling)
Sensei

Skybird

Minsc and Boo
(Titus and Radja hydra)
Reasonably Rational
(Drixx & Cerberus v666 hydra)
jeanne11

Xkfyu

12. (To-be-named Gale Wing Srock and SirCakez hydra)
White Fire
(Firebringer & Shiro hydra)
Orange

HobbesDuncan

SugarJan

Space Pip
(itlepip and MarioManiac4 hydra)
randomidget

killthestory

Nahdia
Last edited by Varsoon on Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:16 pm, edited 20 times in total.
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:27 am

Post by Errantparabola »

If you need a replacement i might be available but unsure.
did another ms user do something lovely? recognize their achievements here!

Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops.
--implosion
provided
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:30 am

Post by Varsoon »

I'll definitely be using this thread as a first-come, first-serve place for scouting replacements.
SirCakez
SirCakez
he/him
Is A Lie
SirCakez
he/him
Is A Lie
Is A Lie
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:36 am

Post by SirCakez »

Working on getting the hydra setup atm. Not 100% on the name yet.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:36 am

Post by Varsoon »

I've added a WARNING! to the first post.
I grappled with putting this game down as a Bastard game or not, and while it is, ultimately, not bastard, there are DEFINITELY aspects of the setup that some players would consider bastard.
This is, to the best of my ability and that of my reviewers, a balanced setup. Don't worry about that.
The setup skirts the line due to its various public and private mechanics, which set it far from 'normal game' territory.
Cerberus v666
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Let's Be Reasonable

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:42 am

Post by Cerberus v666 »

Yay!

Everyone join, if this isn't filled within a few hours I'll be sorely disappointed in all of you!
Cerberus v666
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Let's Be Reasonable

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:43 am

Post by Cerberus v666 »

Oh, and yes, confirming pre in, blah blah. :p
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:45 am

Post by Varsoon »

I'll be bolding player names as they confirm.
Xkfyu
Xkfyu
Mafia Scum
Xkfyu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:47 am

Post by Xkfyu »

In post 5, Cerberus v666 wrote:Everyone join, if this isn't filled within a few hours I'll be sorely disappointed in all of you!

This.

and

/confirm pre-in
Xkfyu
Xkfyu
Mafia Scum
Xkfyu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:49 am

Post by Xkfyu »

In post 0, Varsoon wrote:WARNING!
This is not a bastard game by the standard definitions used on-site, however, it certainly skirts the line of what could be considered bastard.
At the very least, this will be a highly unusual game that is about as non-normal as it gets. If you sign up for this game, do so knowing that this game will contain elements that some players may consider bastard, although it does not fall under the as-defined outlines for what qualifies a game as such. If you're looking for a typical mafia game or even a typical theme game, you will not find one here. This game has plenty of strange, unpredictable, bombacious mechanics and interactions that make it an outlier even among games I have run. That said, the setup was built around this and should be quite enjoyable, competitive, and engaging nevertheless. Please keep this in mind while signing up and while playing.

As if I wasn't already excited enough about this game.
Gale Wing Srock
Gale Wing Srock
Mafia Scum
Gale Wing Srock
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:00 am

Post by Gale Wing Srock »

Yay! ^_^
Cerberus v666
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Let's Be Reasonable

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:05 am

Post by Cerberus v666 »

Oh GWS. Can you change your avatar. It's too adorable. I can't view you objectively while you have it. :P
Orange
Orange
Townie
Orange
Townie
Townie

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:16 am

Post by Orange »

/in
Cerberus v666
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Let's Be Reasonable

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:22 am

Post by Cerberus v666 »

Yessss....more....more....

Also, Orange, that is disturbing as fuck.
Cerberus v666
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Let's Be Reasonable

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:30 am

Post by Cerberus v666 »

Yay!

Varsoon, please make me scum. :P You always give scum cool things to do, and I wanna be able to do cool things WITH people this time, instead of being a loner.

^^
Untrod Tripod
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:30 am

Post by Untrod Tripod »

edit:
I can't play because I've seen part of the setup. sorry.
Titus
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Moon Walker
Pronoun: She/her

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:46 am

Post by Titus »

/confirm???

I thought ABR and I preinned as our hydra though.
Show
The scum had the misfortune of Titus being absurdly accurate on day one.Really quite impressed by that.~Drixx

You're letting Titus win the game by herself.Good luck now I guess.You have no chance to win.~Tywin

GTKTitus Part 2
Titus Academy

VLA Friday nights until Sunday morning.

All hail the Scum Empress!
Jeanne11
Jeanne11
Mafia Scum
Jeanne11
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:57 am

Post by Jeanne11 »

/confirm
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:57 am

Post by Varsoon »

I think ABR wants to focus on playing Bloodborne later, but you can ask him about it? /shrugs.
HobbesDuncan
HobbesDuncan
Townie
HobbesDuncan
Townie
Townie

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:05 am

Post by HobbesDuncan »

/in.
SugarJan
SugarJan
Townie
SugarJan
Townie
Townie

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:07 am

Post by SugarJan »

/in
Cerberus v666
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Let's Be Reasonable

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:08 am

Post by Cerberus v666 »

16! 4 more!!! Go Go Go!!
SirCakez
SirCakez
he/him
Is A Lie
SirCakez
he/him
Is A Lie
Is A Lie
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:14 am

Post by SirCakez »

Who are these players O.o
Cerberus v666
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Let's Be Reasonable

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:16 am

Post by Cerberus v666 »

They are newbie accounts!!! Orange was /inning to a newbie game before he joined this one! They might ruin everything! They might make it amazing! They might be scared away from the site forever!

Or they might all be alts, and wreck everybody who isn't on their team. :D
Sensei
Sensei
Mafia Scum
Sensei
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:17 am

Post by Sensei »

/ohyea

Return to “Completed Signups”