STEVEN UNIVERSE MAFIA 2 QUEUE (FULL, ACCEPTING REPLACEMENTS)

For archiving signup threads after their corresponding games are complete.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

STEVEN UNIVERSE MAFIA 2 QUEUE (FULL, ACCEPTING REPLACEMENTS)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:32 am

Post by Varsoon »

WHAT IS 'STEVEN UNIVERSE'?
Spoiler:
For thousands of years, our Earth has been under the protection of an elite group of magical warriors known as the Crystal Gems. There was once a time that intergalactic war threatened to destroy the planet we call home. Nowadays, such perils seem like fiction, but for the remaining Crystal Gems and a young boy named Steven, these age-old threats loom ever closer.

Steven Universe is a 2013 American animated cartoon series that chronicles the ongoing struggle of Earth's defenders, a small group of magical alien women known as the Crystal Gems. While the show does include an ongoing plot that involves the fate of the universe, the focus of Steven Universe is on the day-to-day trials that the youngest Crystal Gem, Steven, must overcome. The show's colorful visual style and strong musical focus help to make Steven Universe stand out as one of the most beautiful animated shows of the decade. Despite being a cartoon aimed at a teenage market, Steven Universe maturely navigates themes of responsibility, depression, abuse, love, and conflicts on a scale from internal to galactic.

The goal of this Mafia game is to reproduce the delightful color of the world of Steven Universe while rendering both its lighter and darker themes into mafia mechanics that feel fulfilling. As of writing this, Season 3 of Steven Universe has finished airing--I hope to encapsulate the events of Season 2 and 3 within this game, as I see the two seasons as strong a pair as the previous halves of Season 1 were. I will be revisiting mechanics featured in my previous Steven Universe games, although there will be more focus on creating a succinct, fun game for everyone to enjoy. My goal for this game is to create a set of public mechanics that are simple to navigate, yet allow for strong role diversity and fun, engaged, rhetorically-focused play. I have a lot of love for the source material--I hope that my passion translates to this game and allows for players to engage in both the flavor and the game of mafia as a unified experience.

WHAT IS A 'VARSOON GAME'? WHAT SORT OF GAME SHOULD I EXPECT HERE?
Spoiler:
Steven Universe Mafia II will be a 25 player Large Theme featuring a handful of unique public mechanics that focus heavily in rhetorical engagement and flavor payoff. My previous game, Bloodborne Mafia, was a striking disappointment for me, largely due to how the over-complex mechanics were handled. I am hoping to create a set of mechanics in this game that are more concise and fun to engage with for everyone involved.

As a moderator with a deep passion for rhetoric, expect a game with mechanics that will always supplement the rhetoric of the game rather than the usual sort of roles that are supplemented by rhetoric. My games are typical Role Madness games--I like to give every player some sort of unique 'something' to play with in tandem with the actual game. I try to include very engaging public mechanics in order to retain player interest, which can be a difficult thing to do in the Large games that I like to run. Do not expect many, if any, 'vanilla' roles here.

'Varsoon Games' are typically characterized by heavy flavor, high quality moderation, and unpredictable yet satisfying mechanics. I am very cognizant of my moderator meta and I constantly keep even seasoned fans on their toes. I have achieved a Master's Degree in writing Fiction; I enjoy writing involved flavor that reflects the sensibilities of players and the game state while not revealing anything that would give a mechanical advantage. I also take Mafia very seriously; I spend over 8 hours a day with access to the site, always with a tab open, refreshing my games, re-reading them, and so on--even when I worked full time and went to college, I accomplished this endeavor. For me, Mafia is a labor of love and a full-time job. I want to deliver the quality experience that I came to love on this site. My games, hopefully, represent that.

As far as moderation goes, I see online Mafia moderation the same way I do moderating a face-to-face game with my friends. I am here to ensure all of my friends and guests have a fun time playing a game we all enjoy. That said, Mafia does get intense. Mafia is psychological. Mafia can feature very aggressive rhetoric. We lynch people here. I love those aspects of the game, and I want them to be in a game, although they will always run risk of ruining the experience for some players. I am far less draconic in my moderation than other moderators. I will always err on the side of the player. That said, I have no patience for players who do break the rules. Do not play my game if you are habitually in trouble with moderators and other players. I'll do everything I can to keep you in-game and having a fun time, but if you cross the line and it's clear you intentionally broke a rule, I will have no mercy in my judgment.

I do not enforce Blacklists, Wisdom of the Crowds, Wisdom of the One, or any similar requests to prohibit players from playing. The only players not welcome in my games are banned players. Do not ask me to prohibit a player from joining for personal reasons; I will never do so unless they currently have a ban or restriction. Everyone is welcome at my table. If you have a personal problem with a player, come to a happy agreement with them before creating drama in my signup thread or in my game. If you absolutely can't play with someone else, do not sign up for a game of mine if they are in the player list. If you do, I will allow you in, but don't think I'm going to shunt the other player because of your personal issues. I want everyone to get together and have fun here. I fully support even bitter rivals playing at the same table and learning to overcome their own differences in order to have fun with something we all enjoy.

CURRENT PLAYERLIST (25/25):

1. Obi-Wan Kenobi (Beeboy + Titus)

2. Klingoncelt

3. Sir Cakez

4. Foxbird

5. Xkfyu
6. Skybird

7. Almost50

8. Shiro

9. DrippingGoofball

10. Farside22

11. Yume

12. CooLDoG

13. Reasonably Rational (Cerberus v666 + Drixx)

14. grapes

15. mastin2

16. Not Chara
17. kraska77
18. killthestory
19. McMenno
20. Firebringer
21. Seraphim
22. SnarkySnowman
23. Creature
24. randomidget
25. TheWayItEnds
Last edited by Varsoon on Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:10 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:34 am

Post by Varsoon »

SPECIAL MECHANICS APPEARING IN THIS GAME:

"OKAY, I'M READY FOR THIS EPISODE TO END" -- EPISODE FORMAT, EVENTS, AND FLAVOR MECHANICS
Spoiler:
The day phase will be referred to as the 'Exposition' phase.
The night phase will be referred to as the 'Climax' phase.
Each pair of Exposition and Climax phases are referred to as an 'Episode'.
Each fourth Episode is a special episode called a 'Season Finale'.

Each role will have access to unique, flavor-heavy 'Episode Events' that they can anonymously trigger in order to influence the Exposition of any given episode. Notably, each scum role will have a town-flavored event that they can trigger.
Triggering an Episode Event does not count as your submitted Night Action.
Unless explicitly stated otherwise, every Episode Event is a single-shot action that will be refunded if it does not trigger.
The Scum team will have factional Episode Events that will flavor and influence the Climax of each episode.
Episode Events will be denoted on rolecards with the following information;
-You will be told when you can activate your event or if it has a delayed activation.
-You will be told the priority of your event. In the instance that multiple Episode Events are triggered, only the highest priority Event happens.
--That said, some events will have a 'zero' priority, meaning they can always be triggered and will always take place and do not keep other Events from happening.
-You will be told the requirements for your event to be triggered.

Season Finales will allow for bigger, more influential events.
Nearly every role and mechanic of the game is more powerful during a Season Finale.

As a final note, all scum have guaranteed safe-claims and roles that fit the flavor of these fake-claims. Do not try to flavor-game this setup.
Scum all have had their flavor crafted before I crafted any of the town roles--I have built this setup around scum having effective, believable safe-claims.
Flavor-claims are not anywhere near the sort of town-clear that you might expect from other games.
Furthermore, I have given scum measures to punish players who are attempting to flavor-game the setup. Claim flavor at your own risk.
We are here to play mafia rendered under the flavor of Steven Universe--I will have no pity for anyone who takes the flavor as a means to attempt to outguess the moderator.

"I AM THEIR FURY, I AM THEIR PATIENCE; I AM A CONVERSATION" -- ALLIANCE MECHANICS
Spoiler:
During each Climax phase, a player may submit (to the mod) the name of any one other player that they wish to form an Alliance with.
If two players pick each other in this fashion, they begin the next Episode in an Alliance.
Alliances grant an Exposition-chat only neighborhood between all members of the Alliance.
Furthermore, many roles will also gain unique abilities due to being in an Alliance.
If you ever end up in a different alliance, your previous one will end.
If your allied partner is killed or lynched, you will still retain the benefits of being in an Alliance for the remainder of the Episode.

During a Season Finale, Allied players can chat in their neighborhoods during the Climax phase.
During a Season Finale, players may submit an extra player to be allied with, allowing for three-player Alliances.

Allying with other players will always resolve independent of all other abilities.
Unless otherwise stated, no ability will normally interact with each player's ability to Ally.
There are mechanics in this game which directly influence Alliances, including abilities that may allow a player to access Alliance PTs they are not a part of.

"THE ABYSS IS NO SUNDAY SWAN RIDE" -- STRESS MECHANICS
Spoiler:
Throughout the entirety of the game, a 'Stress Meter' will be posted and updated with each votecount.
The Stress Meter can fluctuate between 'Slice of Life' and 'Tragic Destiny.'
The Stress Meter begins the game in the direct middle of each of these categories. It can progress to +4 or -4 Stress.
At +4 Stress, or 'Tragic Destiny,' all players require one extra vote to lynch (except in LYLO) and all protective actions always succeed--they can not be redirected and even enhanced priority kills that normally ignore protection will fail on protected players.
At -4 Stress, or 'Slice of Life,' all town players will require one less vote to lynch (except in LYLO) and the scum factional kill will always succeed--it can not be redirected and effects that would cause it to fail for any reason will not.
Many abilities will require the Stress meter to be at or above a certain mark in order to be used.

If a non-scum player dies, the stress meter moves 1 rank towards 'Tragic Destiny.'
If a scum player dies, the stress meter moves 2 ranks towards 'Slice of Life.'

Generally, anti-town Episode Events and outcomes will move the stress meter towards 'Tragic Destiny.'
Pro-town Episode Events and outcomes will move the stress meter towards 'Slice of Life'.
This works to balance the swing of the setup, but also reflects the atmospheric ebb and flow of the show.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:37 am

Post by Varsoon »

Not Chara
Not Chara
Mafia Scum
Not Chara
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:40 am

Post by Not Chara »

/in!

i am very excited for this.
"You're the oddest juxtaposition of reasonable and unreasonable I've ever seen."
---- Papa Zito
it's me, . avatar by
bente
Foxbird
Foxbird
Goon
Foxbird
Goon
Goon

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:46 am

Post by Foxbird »

/confirm pre-in
kraska77
kraska77
Mafia Scum
kraska77
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:49 am

Post by kraska77 »

/in
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:58 am

Post by farside22 »

Confirm!!

On LA till Tuesday
Sarcasm is just a way of saying how stupid you think someone is but in a more polite way.
Almost50
Almost50
Monkey Business
Almost50
Monkey Business
Monkey Business

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:07 am

Post by Almost50 »

/confirm pre-in

Modded 2 Opens & 2 Large Themed games successfully.
SirCakez
SirCakez
he/him
Is A Lie
SirCakez
he/him
Is A Lie
Is A Lie
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:10 am

Post by SirCakez »

/conf pre-in
This will be my first time playing a Varsoon game not in a hydra, huh
Brian Skies - "
I just wanna say Cakez is an evil mod and this is an evil setup.
"

--------------------
Get to know a Cakez!
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Goon
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:30 am

Post by Obi-Wan Kenobi »

/in as beeboy + Titus hydra
beeboy
beeboy
Survivor
beeboy
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:33 am

Post by beeboy »

In post 9, Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:/in as beeboy + Titus hydra
disguised ego post

/confirm
ah yes, beeboy style reads;
if this person flips town, then i'll townread them. - Nahdia
Yume
Yume
She/They
Mafia Scum
Yume
She/They
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: She/They

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:38 am

Post by Yume »

/confirm pre-in
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:45 am

Post by Errantparabola »

Mind if i spectate, varsoon friend
did another ms user do something lovely? recognize their achievements here!

Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops.
--implosion
provided
Titus
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Moon Walker
Pronoun: She/her

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:58 am

Post by Titus »

In post 10, beeboy wrote:
disguised ego post

/confirm
/confirm

These are not the scum you are looking for.
Show
The scum had the misfortune of Titus being absurdly accurate on day one.Really quite impressed by that.~Drixx

You're letting Titus win the game by herself.Good luck now I guess.You have no chance to win.~Tywin

GTKTitus Part 2
Titus Academy

VLA Friday nights until Sunday morning.

All hail the Scum Empress!
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:59 am

Post by Firebringer »

In post 11, Yume wrote:/confirm pre-in
/in to replace this person when they inevitably flake.
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
Killthestory
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:01 am

Post by Killthestory »

/in

inin in in
DrippingGoofball
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
Mafia Piñata

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:16 am

Post by DrippingGoofball »

conf pre in
Paraphrasing a role PM takes seconds, fabricating a good fakeclaim takes an eternity.

"Metadiving DGB is like playing Roblox" - T3
"She's sort of like a quantum computer, her reads exist in multiple states at once. u have to take into account the other dimensions." - Morning Tweet
Yume
Yume
She/They
Mafia Scum
Yume
She/They
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: She/They

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:21 am

Post by Yume »

In post 14, Firebringer wrote:
fite me
Shiro
Shiro
Jack of All Trades
Shiro
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:37 am

Post by Shiro »

/conf pre in
To me:
shiro you are a charmer you were obvscum but for some reason people just wouldn't eliminate you ~Antihero
About me:
I stg this is how conversations with Lucifer go. ~Papa Zito
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:54 am

Post by Firebringer »

In post 17, Yume wrote:
In post 14, Firebringer wrote:
fite me
Prove me wrong.
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
Cerberus v666
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Let's Be Reasonable

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:56 am

Post by Cerberus v666 »

Confirmed.

Also, EP: Get your ass in here, what are you doing spectating this game!!!
GTK a me, currently live, this may be your only chance!
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=78521&p=10688009#p10688009
Cerberus v666
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Let's Be Reasonable

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:57 am

Post by Cerberus v666 »

OMG.

Calling it now, longest day 1 ever incoming.

:P

<3 you both, but...yeah. :D
Cerberus v666
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Let's Be Reasonable

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:59 am

Post by Cerberus v666 »

Also, guys(and gals, whatever, insert the gender neutral equivalent if you'd like, if such exists in your language):

I just caught up to all of Steven Universe, and...with the way things played out in Season 3...Drixx and I absolutely did the right thing lynching Kevin over Centipeetle in the first SU.

So like, technically we won, we were just ahead of the times. :P
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:59 am

Post by Errantparabola »

In post 20, Cerberus v666 wrote:Confirmed.

Also, EP: Get your ass in here, what are you doing spectating this game!!!
college life is pretty hectic, cerb! maybe when things settle down a little bit we'll get to play together again :)
did another ms user do something lovely? recognize their achievements here!

Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops.
--implosion
provided
CooLDoG
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:06 am

Post by CooLDoG »

/in
after a wank.