Problems with the Scummies

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Tammy
Tammy
Survivor
Tammy
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #68 (isolation #0) » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:20 pm

Post by Tammy »

In post 51, Nero Cain wrote:I think all of

Best Replacement
Best Inexperience-Challenged Player-for this one, I'm thinking more along the lines of who teaches the best and not the IC the plays the best.
Best Contribution to Mafia Discussion
Best Performance: Scum Group
Best Performance: Pro-Town Team
Most Enjoyable player

should come back
In post 29, Faraday wrote:w/r/t the actual awards themselves, yeah they need work too.

i always liked most enjoyable player as an award for showcasing something other than actual "technical skill" - making games fun should be something awarded too. similarly i thought best town/best scum performance should have been left there and awarded if a scum team or town performed particularly well.
Yes to both of these.
I am in the top 90% of scumhunters onsite!
Tammy
Tammy
Survivor
Tammy
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #78 (isolation #1) » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:12 am

Post by Tammy »

In post 51, Nero Cain wrote:I think all of

Best Replacement
Best Inexperience-Challenged Player-for this one, I'm thinking more along the lines of who teaches the best and not the IC the plays the best.
Best Contribution to Mafia Discussion
Best Performance: Scum Group
Best Performance: Pro-Town Team
Most Enjoyable player

should come back
In post 52, Mathdino wrote:what how did those EVER go away
For anyone who's interested in why these awards went away, they gave their reasoning here: viewtopic.php?p=7599231#p7599231

The reaction to the removal of most of these awards wasn't positive, as you can see if you read on from that link. One of the things that came out of that discussion is that one of the reasons for the removal of those awards was that there was too much of a burden on the judges. GreyIce has a point to about people taking the awards a bit too seriously and that affected them as well. (A lurker might get carried by a town team and be rewarded with a best town performance banner; we can't allow a travesty like that to happen!)

These are awards that should come back. I don't doubt that the workload for the judges is a burden, but I'm not sure that the solution is to remove things that the site as a whole enjoyed, or at least seemed to, for a few people. RC might be right in that things need to change on the committee's end. I don't imagine that the whole committee needs to be completely overhauled or that getting rid of people who have been sacrificing their time for this for years is the right way to go. But maybe change the way awards are judged, actively try to recruit people who might be interested in judging, etc can help keep the scummies fun and interesting.
Tammy
Tammy
Survivor
Tammy
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #82 (isolation #2) » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:48 am

Post by Tammy »

In post 79, RadiantCowbells wrote:I have nothing but respect for everything they've done over the past years but correct me if I'm wrong but I feel like they've largely moved on but for whatever reason the scummies haven't.

If they want to come back and put the time into the game as it is to get to know the people that play know, if they want to invest their time into recruiting people, if they want to invest their time into changing the image that the scummies have around site then I would be very happy to have them stay. But I don't think that that's the way things are right now. I don't think that the scummies are self sustaining without a lot of time put in by people who are passionate about it. But even then I feel like there have been a substantial amount of decisions made that the site as a whole are not okay with and the attitude thus far has been the one expressed in the scummies suggestion thread, that we can say what we want but the SSC knows best and are going to do things their way. And I'm not alone in disliking the way that things are done as is.
I didn't think you were disrespecting the people who do the scummies and the time they put in. I just think that if someone is on the committee and still wants to be, they should be. Also, I just looked at the link for who is on the committee, and it has to be more than what is listed right?

I do agree with the rest.
Tammy
Tammy
Survivor
Tammy
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #86 (isolation #3) » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:11 am

Post by Tammy »

In post 80, Mathdino wrote: Okay, let's break this down!

Best Replacement: Did Replacement Hero ever happen? If not, bring the award back. We have loads of candidates there. Make it Body of Work or Single Game.

Professor Mafia: Their reasoning is fair. That said, literally just make a Best Article award and a Best IC award. There are enough contenders for those.

Funniest/Most Enjoyable Player: This is an important award.

Best Pro-Town Team: Don't give out banners for this. Problem solved.

Best Scum Team: This should obviously be a thing. Make Don Corleone a Body of Work award again.

Community Contributor: Meh. Take it or leave it. wgeurts and KMo were really the main ones who ever did enough for this anyway.
I don't think the replacement hero thing happened. But I haven't been overly active for the past couple years, so I'm not sure. I've not noticed any types of pins.

Eh I think the banner issue for the best town team was misguided. Recognizing a town that against the odds had enough members who were able to come together to eliminate scum and win, sometimes perfectly, seems more important for the site than getting concerned that lurkers, who know they were carried 90% of the time, getting a banner.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”