Tell me how not to hate mafia

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #29 (isolation #0) » Thu May 16, 2019 2:43 am

Post by Something_Smart »

I can't tell you what will work for you. But I can tell you what works for me when I'm feeling bad about a game.

If it's because of game-related things (i.e. your team is losing, you or someone you townread is getting mislynched), the best thing to remember is that it happens to everyone and it may not be anyone's fault. And yeah there are people who brag about not being mislynched but they either (a) are exceedingly easy to read which means their scumgame sucks or (b) shout so loud that nobody wants to argue with them which is not a positive trait.
For the rest of us, we all get mislynched for stupid reasons sometimes, and it's not your fault either.

If your confidence was damaged by getting mislynched once, then maybe you should set lower standards for yourself. Just play to do the best you can and when you lose you can chalk it up to the fact that everyone loses sometimes.

If you're feeling bad because of the players (i.e. toxicity, rampant lurking and apathy), the best thing is to not let it worry you. You can't control how these people act; what you can do is make the best of it. Try to do the opposite and encourage others to do the same. If someone's being toxic, be nice to them and get everyone else to ignore the toxicity.

Mafia, when viewed competitively, is a contradictory game. The way for everyone to achieve the highest winrate is through trust telling every game, but nobody wants to do that because it isn't fun. So, uh, don't play exclusively to win. Play to have fun. If you lost but had fun, that's still a success. Even better if you lost but EVERYBODY had fun.

I don't know exactly what the problem is, so if you already know this stuff or you know it won't apply to you, go ahead and ignore it. Just giving a braindump of what helps me :]
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #44 (isolation #1) » Mon May 20, 2019 1:14 am

Post by Something_Smart »

In post 38, Raskolnikov wrote:Well shit. Anyone else didn't get an IRL role pm? No wonder I don't know what's going on.
Welcome, Raskolnikov, to
Life!

You are a
serial killer.

(What, did you really not see that one coming?)
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!

Return to “Mafia Discussion”