Tell me how not to hate mafia

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
nomnomnom
nomnomnom
Jack of All Trades
nomnomnom
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #124 (isolation #0) » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:10 am

Post by nomnomnom »

I'd argue that the result would be the same given that all players would be competent and therefore would expect everyone to be a competent scum player as well.

If we compare this to poker, if you put the best poker players at one table, they'll still get bluffed, they'll still call with losing hands because of subtle manipulation. So I think that it would actually change absolutely nothing :P
nomnomnom
nomnomnom
Jack of All Trades
nomnomnom
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #126 (isolation #1) » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:08 am

Post by nomnomnom »

You can go to any team game out there, type the name of a streamer and you would be likely to find people raging left and right at their teammates despite being at the very top level of the game. So again, I think it absolutely changes nothing. It might make it a more challenging game, but it absolutely will not change anything about your frustrations with the game. In fact given the increased difficulty of the game, and the added stress that competent players might bring in the game, it might make the problem infinitely worse.

I feel like it's good to remind yourself that this is a team game and that you cannot control the other elements of the game, such as players. Getting mad at players for "playing bad" (which in a game of mafia can be quite debatable at times) will honestly just make you feel absolutely miserable for no reasons, for reasons outside of your grasp. Changing your mindset towards these elements of the game might be more helpful than wishing for an utopia where every player manage not to frustrate you, which is what you want in the end :P

Changing the mindset is a long task that requires to be self conscious. Instead of acting like "GOD THIS GUY IS PLAYING SO BAD UUUURGH", try to accept that this is an element of the game you have to deal with, and try to create a positive thought process instead. This is how people that play poker prevent tilt :)
nomnomnom
nomnomnom
Jack of All Trades
nomnomnom
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #128 (isolation #2) » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:28 am

Post by nomnomnom »

In post 127, Ramcius wrote:Since when poker become team game?
I was using Poker as an analogy of elements that are completely out of your control working against you. There is literally nothing you can do if you happen to have bad luck. Even if you played perfectly, a little bit of bad luck and you would still lose hands you should have won.

In mafia, as town, it might be townies doing really stupid things and making it easy for scum to win. As scum it might be partners that do really bad things and making it easy for town to win. That's hard to deal with sometimes but not impossible.

My point is: dealing with those types of frustrations is the same method in both situations. You cannot deal with certain things so you need to change your reaction and approach to these elements in order to retain sanity. It's hard but you need to do it, if only for a more enjoyable experience.
nomnomnom
nomnomnom
Jack of All Trades
nomnomnom
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #130 (isolation #3) » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:48 pm

Post by nomnomnom »

something something

Return to “Mafia Discussion”