We need a Quick Game queue

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Hectic
Hectic
Mad Hatter
Hectic
Mad Hatter
Mad Hatter

We need a Quick Game queue

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:30 am

Post by Hectic »

A queue dedicated to games that aren't supposed to last very long. For example, games that end on day 1, or have mechanics which mean they're over very quickly.

Usually, they'd have <9 people based on their short life expectancy. Think it kinda appeals to a different enough audience and differs enough from most Micro Games.

Games like this: viewtopic.php?p=11093778#p11093778
which are fun but and don't require a huge time investment.
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:13 am

Post by Ircher »

There was a Blitz Queue trial, but it failed because it pulled too many people from other queues. You'll just have to wait for marathons.

Although, you could potentially play ONUW in Mish Mash.
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Hosting: The Grand Neighborhood [Ongoing]
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:01 am

Post by Ankamius »

Added note, the trial was years ago, but the site is in worse shape for concurrent games than it was back then, soooooooo...
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:25 pm

Post by popsofctown »

I haven't participated in any quick games directly but lots of people seem to enjoy them a lot when run with forum mafia timing. So I don't think "wait for marathons" is the answer.

The micro queue has been so high demand that it was empty sometimes late last year, so quick games being queued as micros balances the queues more than it unbalances it.

I think if site headcount were much stronger than it currently is this would be a good idea but I don't think any queue should be split right now, regardless of what the new queue would be.
Don't worry my piggy bank for mafiascum super bowl ad is filling up bit by bit
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Slaxx
Slaxx
Jack of All Trades
Slaxx
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:16 am

Post by Slaxx »

In post 1, Ircher wrote:There was a Blitz Queue trial, but it failed because it pulled too many people from other queues. You'll just have to wait for marathons.

Although, you could potentially play ONUW in Mish Mash.
I get what you mean, but technically that’s not the blitz queue failing then... it’s the others.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:02 am

Post by zoraster »

Peopled stopped playing as many blitz games as time went on too though. Overall on the site, playing was down. There could be other factors, but that's what the test showed. In any event, I want to encourage people to think about mods as well as players. What I mean by that is you don't just get an infinite supply of games when you open up a queue. The faster the games, the more unique games each mod has to run. And it's not the case that mods will run games for X number of weeks/months a year and will fill those weeks/months with new games if the games go faster. During even our brief trial there were times where the queue ran dry.

More to the point, if you as a mod feel there is player demand that is unmet (and I suspect there is!) I'd encourage you to use one of the other queues to run a game with times that are faster (though make sure every player knows that this is going to be the case!)

Return to “Mafia Discussion”