Changes to Normal Games

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Alisae
lolbalance

Pronoun: E (e/em/eir/eirs/emself)

Post Post #575  (ISO)  » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:35 am

I honestly don't really get what it adds to the queue personally.
Discord: Alisae#3437
GTKAS Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3

Alisae
lolbalance

Post Post #576  (ISO)  » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:37 am

though on second thought, i have a pretty funny setup in mind that I could use with this said "universal finder"

Alisae
lolbalance

Post Post #577  (ISO)  » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:11 am

Actually so the above setup I'm just going to post here, because quite frankly, I don't think its fun enough to warrant being ran.

But the way I came up with using this role is to troll whoever gets it.
Because of how the role works, I feel like the player would most likely want to guess Vanilla Townie or Mafia Goon

But what if there was only 1 vanilla townie and 0 mafia goons? Then suddenly you get to watch something thats really funny.

Here are some things you can do with this. I feel like if you are doing any of these things, you're making the game for your entertainment rather then it being an actual like good or fun game, which is why I'm posting these ideas here, but
You can
- throw in a bunch of neighbors. Make them aligned with each other or not, up2u.
- throw in multiple universal finders because the player will likely think that they're unique and not guess their own role.
- add in roles that aren't vanilla townie or mafia goon but also don't add any real power to the game. There are plenty of them.

Alchemist21
Jack of All Trades

Pronoun: He

Post Post #578  (ISO)  » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:01 am

In post 571, Jake The Wolfie wrote:Question:

Would forcing a player to take an action (via a power role capable of doing so) when they otherwise wouldn't take an action be a normal role?

That’s basically what Captain does, unless you’re talking about a role that could even make VT’s do something.

They’re not Normal and it’s probably best to keep it that way so people can be in control of their own actions. Theme games could make them work in a fun way though.

Gamma Emerald
Survivor

Post Post #579  (ISO)  » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:12 am

Would forcing a player to take an action (via a power role capable of doing so) when they otherwise wouldn't take an action be a normal role?

Only problem imo is the fact if the target doesn’t submit an action it gets randomized
JUST1C3 H4S TO B3 BL1ND WH3N TH3 PROS3CUTOR C4N'T S33, 1T'S JUST TH4T S1MPL3!

Gamma Emerald
Survivor

Post Post #580  (ISO)  » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:14 am

Also I think finder wouldn’t differentiate between VT and goon, like Rolecop does

Alisae
lolbalance

Post Post #581  (ISO)  » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:18 pm

In post 580, Gamma Emerald wrote:Also I think finder wouldn’t differentiate between VT and goon, like Rolecop does
then what's the point.
At that point you're just playing a more unfun rolecop

Ythan
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #582  (ISO)  » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:06 pm

The point is that the finder as it exists is even more unfun.
All the scumbuddies are making a fuss,
But I can't pay attention 'cause I'm on that bus.

Alisae
lolbalance

Post Post #583  (ISO)  » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:12 pm

Do you think the role in its current state has a reason to exist within the normal queue or is it just bloat?

Ythan
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #584  (ISO)  » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:10 pm

I don't think the purpose of the whitelist is good roles but rather known roles that conform to the normalcy guidelines. So yes I guess.

Akarin
Goon

Pronoun: She

Post Post #585  (ISO)  » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:12 pm

I can imagine plenty of good uses for Finder as it currently exists.

Alisae
lolbalance

Post Post #586  (ISO)  » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:12 pm

Akarin what niche do you feel like the role fills?

Akarin
Goon

Pronoun: She

Post Post #587  (ISO)  » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:19 pm

A couple possibilities:

It can be a weaker... Neapolitan-ish thing if you have something that's obviously going to be a town role, or will be after some of the setup is revealed. Doesn't confirm all the VTs, just one PR (maybe something you have a few of)

It can function like a Scum Rolecop/Neap/Vanilla Cop/whatever where you want to give scum the ability to target a particular part of the town. Like Scum PT Cop hunting Masons, but for other things. Those roles have some use when you want to give scum just a some specific counterplay. e.g. Doctor-Finder

Finally, it can be used as a way to hint about the nature of the setup without giving an Informed role.

Jake The Wolfie
Mafia Scum

Post Post #588  (ISO)  » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:49 pm

In post 578, Alchemist21 wrote:

That’s basically what Captain does, unless you’re talking about a role that could even make VT’s do something.

They’re not Normal and it’s probably best to keep it that way so people can be in control of their own actions. Theme games could make them work in a fun way though.

I mean, are redirectors normal?
Are roleblockers/jailkeepers normal?

Also, I was thinking that the role could force a player to take an action if they did no action, and could choose the target since there would be no target. (Any role which has no night action would become a 1-shot visitor for that night.)

Alchemist21
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #589  (ISO)  » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:51 pm

In post 588, Jake The Wolfie wrote:
In post 578, Alchemist21 wrote:

I mean, are redirectors normal?
Are roleblockers/jailkeepers normal?

Also, I was thinking that the role could force a player to take an action if they did no action, and could choose the target since there would be no target. (Any role which has no night action would become a 1-shot visitor for that night.)

Redirectors are explicitly non-Normal.

Roleblocker and Jailkeeper are normal but they don’t take away your ability to actually choose your target, they just affect whether your actions get through.

So let’s say there’s an Even-Night Tracker. Would this new role be able to make them Track someone on Odd Nights? What if the other role is x-shot and has no more shots?

Would there be any practical use for that interaction with the VTs?

Jake The Wolfie
Mafia Scum

Post Post #590  (ISO)  » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:12 pm

In post 589, Alchemist21 wrote:So let’s say there’s an Even-Night Tracker. Would this new role be able to make them Track someone on Odd Nights? What if the other role is x-shot and has no more shots?

Then they would have no night action, and would be a visitor.

Alchemist21 wrote:
Would there be any practical use for that interaction with the VTs?

Maybe, maybe not.

Ythan
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #591  (ISO)  » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:13 pm

What about targets with multiple abilities if you already covered this tldr.

Jake The Wolfie
Mafia Scum

Post Post #592  (ISO)  » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:29 pm

In post 591, Ythan wrote:What about targets with multiple abilities if you already covered this tldr.

That should be up to better designers than me.

Gamma Emerald
Survivor

Post Post #593  (ISO)  » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:46 pm

In post 587, Akarin wrote:A couple possibilities:

It can be a weaker... Neapolitan-ish thing if you have something that's obviously going to be a town role, or will be after some of the setup is revealed. Doesn't confirm all the VTs, just one PR (maybe something you have a few of)

It can function like a Scum Rolecop/Neap/Vanilla Cop/whatever where you want to give scum the ability to target a particular part of the town. Like Scum PT Cop hunting Masons, but for other things. Those roles have some use when you want to give scum just a some specific counterplay. e.g. Doctor-Finder

Finally, it can be used as a way to hint about the nature of the setup without giving an Informed role.

maybe give scum a doctor finder in a setup with a doc+cop combo
it's provides a counter to follow the cop without being a full rolecop

Jake The Wolfie
Mafia Scum

Post Post #594  (ISO)  » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:14 pm

Would it be possible to make the persoanl modifier only apply to certain factions?

Previous
[ + ]

Return to Mafia Discussion