Town Meta Perspective 2020

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: they (pl.)

Post Post #1 (isolation #0) » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:41 pm

Post by Infinity 324 »

I agree tbh. I’ve had basically nothing going on for the past few weeks and it’s been draining to keep up with 3-4 games. These are minis and micros. I’ve been trying to get myself to post less but you’re right, it’s really whoever posts more has more influence and is less likely to be limmed.
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

plural system, we may or may not sign
Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3 (isolation #1) » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:14 am

Post by Infinity 324 »

Wrt emotion, I think OP is talking about emotional manipulation/AtE. It’s another thing that makes the game more draining and more high-investment than is enjoyable.
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #14 (isolation #2) » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:43 am

Post by Infinity 324 »

I don’t hold out much hope for a change to happen, but if it does it will come from people who prioritize having fun over winning.
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #47 (isolation #3) » Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:01 pm

Post by Infinity 324 »

Don’t agree, I think a lot of people like rolling scum. I really think hyperposting is about controlling the narrative.
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #58 (isolation #4) » Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:03 pm

Post by Infinity 324 »

In post 54, unwnd wrote:Number of townies not calculated, it's their posts see two posts above you
Oka has a point though, it makes sense that 75% of posts are made by town if the game is 75% town. (Also death's curse was 1/3 scum I think?)
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #62 (isolation #5) » Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:06 pm

Post by Infinity 324 »

Cabd wrote:Death's curse was exactly 1/4th... 15 town, 5 scum.
Right. Still, the post count was distributed evenly between town and scum (though, with noraa taking up almost all of the posting by scum, you could still have an argument here)
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #78 (isolation #6) » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:48 am

Post by Infinity 324 »

In post 76, northsidegal wrote: i agree that being unwilling as scum to replicate things you do as town is a bad thing, but i'm not really a fan of the kind of self-meta manipulation where you intentionally hamper your towngame for the sake of being better at scum. i've read a little bit from ellibereth about how for a theoretical perfect town player looking to maximize overall winrate (for town and scum) it would make sense, but for most non-theoretical people i would say that it's a form of not playing to your win condition. (of course, it's easy to say i'm biased here as someone with a relatively poor scumgame, but still)
I agree with this.
as for my take on the meta, hyperposting complaints have been a thing for at least as long as i've been on-site, and to my knowledge a bit further back. i could be out of touch, but as far as i'm aware i don't think it's gotten worse particularly recently, so i probably wouldn't attribute any increase in town winrates to that.
I don't remember as much of a hyperposting issue in 2016-2017 when I was last active.

Alisae, I don't think anyone would argue that you don't try hard as scum, so it's not super relevant here and I'd suggest making a different thread to talk about that.
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #80 (isolation #7) » Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:09 pm

Post by Infinity 324 »

I think hoopla was mostly objecting to people who don't try as hard as scum or sacrifice their scumgame intentionally so they can appear obvtown as town. You play scum differently from town for strategic reasons, and you can argue in what ways that is/isn't effective, but at least you make an effort to get townreads and win games as scum.
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #82 (isolation #8) » Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:13 pm

Post by Infinity 324 »

In post 81, northsidegal wrote:i don't know, that sounds a little ahistorical. 2017 alone had a ton of hyperposters: mulch, fro99er, sheepsaysmeep, and creature were all pretty active around that time. maybe this is getting more into late 2017 and early 2018, though.
I never played with the first three players, and creature is sort of his own case since he would post in bursts but I don't think he was often one of the top posters in a thread. To be fair, I mostly played early in 2017. I could also be misremembering.
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #90 (isolation #9) » Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:56 am

Post by Infinity 324 »

In post 87, Hoopla wrote:but often it gets you NK'ed early as town (so you have less say in the game), and probably tanks your scumgame in the long run.
As for getting NK'ed, I'm very happy if I get NK'ed as town because it means some other player who is also obvtown and a threat to scum stays alive. I'm also not willing to sacrifice my towngame to make it easier to play as scum, because that means I'm playing to win some future game, not the current one. If it makes my scum game harder, so be it.
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #103 (isolation #10) » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:41 am

Post by Infinity 324 »

In post 102, OkaPoka wrote:a different way to get people in line maybe where everybody is so willing to trust player X's reads regardless of alignment they will blind sheep and the existence of player X is the power structure - nope
To be fair, I do remember this happening more often back in the day with e.g. fate

But, you bring up some good points. Ideally, I think we’d have fewer players hyperposting so not everyone is competing for influence—that, or we lower the bar for what constitutes hyperposting so that’s it’s a similar situation to what we have now except lower commitment.
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #112 (isolation #11) » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:53 am

Post by Infinity 324 »

Generally, it’s just as likely that you’re wrong and you’d be better off dying in place of someone else.
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

Return to “Mafia Discussion”