Term Replacement: "Sanity"

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:15 pm

Post by Ythan »

For one lol what the fuck does your freedom of speech have to do with this conversation.
Guillotina
Guillotina
He
Mafia Scum
Guillotina
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:19 pm

Post by Guillotina »

In post 50, Ythan wrote:For one lol what the fuck does your freedom of speech have to do with this conversation.
Im not defending my freedom of speech, im defending theirs.

My mental illness is not grounds to change terms that the majority use and are not offended by. Im not offended by them! Let people use insane, paranoid, crazy and whatever the hell they want, reading them does not make me any crazier or worsen my condition.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:21 pm

Post by Ythan »

The OP of this thread is looking for alternatives for words. Fuck off with your made up troll shit.
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:24 pm

Post by TemporalLich »

I've posted Cop sanities already and idk how else to flavor it besides just "reliability"
time will end
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:30 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

If we absolutely *have* to replace it then I'm fine with "reliability". But yeah...
If u dont elim me today, you are Minecrafters
~Vasex
When i open this game, and starting read, i immediatly close it because i starting strongly consider self last townie alive and others are just jesters.
~Enchant
Guillotina
Guillotina
He
Mafia Scum
Guillotina
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:32 pm

Post by Guillotina »

In post 52, Ythan wrote:The OP of this thread is looking for alternatives for words. Fuck off with your made up troll shit.
What? i am not trolling, i actually got a mental health condition, ok, a few, but i dont want preferential treatment for it, nor your pity nor your sympathy. Ive overcome the burden that carries being what i am with the help of my support group and my doctors.

You think changing terms in a mafia game is helping us? No, it is alienating every one against us because you are forcing sympathy, preferential treatment that people don't have to give.

I got a mental health condition and im not offended by the insanity terms of this game.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:33 pm

Post by Ythan »

Nobody ever said you babies have to change anything. That is your made up troll bullshit. The OP of this thread is just asking for suggestions. Fuck. Off. Trolls.
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:36 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

I also have several (fairly mild) behavioral disorders. The terms used in Mafia don't really bother me.

Also calm down. Plenty of suggestions were given. You're the one pouring oil into the fire.
~Vasex
When i open this game, and starting read, i immediatly close it because i starting strongly consider self last townie alive and others are just jesters.
~Enchant
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:36 pm

Post by TemporalLich »

For Doctor sanities they are historical but I am not beholden to them.

Sane Doctor is just Doctor who knows their role is true
Paranoid Doctor is a Jailkeeper who thinks they are a Doctor
Naive Doctor is a False Doctor

Insane Doctor is the most interesting Doctor sanity, but even that can just be term replaced to something like Bad Doctor or 50% Doctor 50% Vigilante

For Roleblocker sanities they are something I made up and can easily be shelved and forgotten about
time will end
Guillotina
Guillotina
He
Mafia Scum
Guillotina
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:38 pm

Post by Guillotina »

In post 56, Ythan wrote:Nobody ever said you babies have to change anything. That is your made up troll bullshit. The OP of this thread is just asking for suggestions. Fuck. Off. Trolls.
I will not fuck off because this thread is open for all discussion, even the ones that oppose your point of view. As a mafia player with a mental health condition, i dont want changes to the sanity terms that i've grown to use and love using in my 19 years of playing this game! 20 this October.
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:39 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

Sanities are barely used anyways, right? Even cop sanities. Outside of themes around them.
~Vasex
~Enchant
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:39 pm

Post by Ythan »

KittyTacky wrote:I also have several (fairly mild) behavioral disorders. The terms used in Mafia don't really bother me.

Also calm down. Plenty of suggestions were given. You're the one pouring oil into the fire.
Nah troll.

TL your mechanical interpretations are consistently on point I blanket agree that any of the things you've suggested would be pretty ideal if necessary.
Guillotina
Guillotina
He
Mafia Scum
Guillotina
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:40 pm

Post by Guillotina »

In post 60, KittyTacky wrote:Sanities are barely used anyways, right? Even cop sanities. Outside of themes around them.
Ive only seen them in bastard games, which are types that i play the most.

I love crazy games.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:42 pm

Post by Ythan »

In post 59, Guillotina wrote:
In post 56, Ythan wrote:Nobody ever said you babies have to change anything. That is your made up troll bullshit. The OP of this thread is just asking for suggestions. Fuck. Off. Trolls.
I will not fuck off because this thread is open for all discussion, even the ones that oppose your point of view. As a mafia player with a mental health condition, i dont want changes to the sanity terms that i've grown to use and love using in my 19 years of playing this game! 20 this October.
Then don't??? Who cares this thread has a purpose
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:42 pm

Post by TemporalLich »

Sanities are strictly in the realm of Bastard and all this arguing is starting to make me agree with the term replacement
time will end
Guillotina
Guillotina
He
Mafia Scum
Guillotina
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:45 pm

Post by Guillotina »

Change the terms if you all want to, just know that you arent doing us any favors by doing so, it changes nothing for people like me.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:47 pm

Post by Ythan »

Thankfully the world doesn't revolve around you.
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:56 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

In post 61, Ythan wrote:
KittyTacky wrote:I also have several (fairly mild) behavioral disorders. The terms used in Mafia don't really bother me.

Nah troll.

TL your mechanical interpretations are consistently on point I blanket agree that any of the things you've suggested would be pretty ideal if necessary.
Honestly I'm tired of this. I said everything I wanted to say and you calling me a troll doesn't help matters.

It's up to the admins. But note that the vast majority mentally ill people won't be offended by this anyways.

I'm out.
KittyTacky wrote:Kthxbye
~Vasex
~Enchant
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:58 pm

Post by Ythan »

Bye troll.
Guillotina
Guillotina
He
Mafia Scum
Guillotina
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:09 pm

Post by Guillotina »

In post 66, Ythan wrote:Thankfully the world doesn't revolve around you.
Actually it does! Im the king of the world! God of mafia gaming!
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:41 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 11, Ythan wrote:Jokes aside we've made some worthwhile terminology changes in the recent past.
I 100% agree on “lynch”, that had bothered me for a long time. But even the arguments for changing “suicide bomber” have ignored the possibility of it being offensive to Muslims, which imo would be a much better argument for changing that term than the reasons currently given (that said, I am not opposed to it being changed to “self-bomber”, which would address both concerns), yet I have not even heard that being offered up as a possible reason but that one I would support because it’s basis is comparable to the reasoning for changing “lynch”. So you could have “rational” or “irrational” cop instead of “sane” or “insane” but you need to at least have a replacement that at least comes close to meaning the same thing.
Last edited by Nancy Drew 39 on Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
Nancy is pretty heavenly ngl
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:47 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 17, T-Bone wrote:These questions are worthwhile to ask, so I ask that people aren't dismissive when someone brings up an idea for a term replacement. Lynch was long overdue, so long, that we were among the last major sites to get rid of it. It's worth asking these questions because we were so late on that change. It doesn't mean that everything or anything will be replaced, but the conversations are worthwhile.
I think the framing of these discussions would definitely help with that. Instead of making a thread suggesting we replace roles, perhaps ask if the term is actually problematic, offensive and harmful and if it’s desirable to change it or not. I think that would probably merit a much better response and keep us both sensitive and practical.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:53 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 43, Guillotina wrote:
In post 10, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:
In post 8, Guillotina wrote:Are you kidding me? What's next?

We shouldn't use roles because bad mechanical role play could offend the good name of the real life cops, doctors, bus drivers etc.

We shouldnt use masons and masonizers because secret societies might feel offended.

We shouldnt call people scum because well some players dont realize that mafia is a bubble where we are allowed to call each other scum without it being a personal attack.
Don’t forget how Mafia terminology blasphemes the honourable profession janitor. Hell, ban the term “mafia” altogether and substitute it with “rat race” “life” or “reindeer games”. :P
Oh good lord, poor janitors being depicted as dead body cleaners! We demand that janitors are changed to forensic pathologists!
Wouldn’t that already apply to coroners?
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:00 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 47, Guillotina wrote:
In post 45, TemporalLich wrote:let me know if you want term replacements for doctor and roleblocker sanities despite me personally disagreeing with this term replacement

and yeah this really needs more opinions as it is still clearly an open question
I'm in oversimplified terms an insane person and im not offended by the terms. My feelings and/or mental condition have no right to end people's right of freedom of speech.

No offence but that was essentially the argument people opposing “lynch” we’re making. Mafia is a game based on social constructs. The term “mafia” is literally based on mafia being organized crime, so this isn’t a salient argument.

P.edit: “freedom of speech” is an extremely dangerous slippery slope straw man and frequently makes me cringe when it’s being misapplied, which it is in this context.

We are not allowed free speech in a any game of mafia ever. Toxicity is bannable as is are trust tells, quoting role pms and if scum, identifying your teammates. You are not allowed to publicly replace out or ask any other player to do so. You are in most game also forbidden from posting once you are no longer considered a player in the game for whatever reason, etc.
Last edited by Nancy Drew 39 on Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:05 pm

Post by Ythan »

In post 70, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:But even the arguments for changing “suicide bomber” have ignored the possibility of it being offensive to Muslims, which imo would be a much better argument for changing that term than the reasons currently given (that said, I am not opposed to it being changed to “self-bomber”, which would address both concerns), yet I have not even heard that being offered up as a possible reason but that one I would support because it’s basis is comparable to the reasoning for changing “lynch”.
I was also wondering when someone was gonna bring that up. Maybe it goes without saying? I apparently felt so.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”