Term Replacement: Lovers and S* Bombers [CW: Self-Harm]

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #59 (isolation #0) » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:59 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 5, mastina wrote:I thought lovers dieing in grief was already the standard--it absolutely should be.

SBomber could become a Self-Bomber, maybe. As in, instead of waiting to be killed by a nightkill and exploding, actively taking it upon themselves to explode as a bomb, taking someone out with them.
I’d say “dying in
sympathy
or
loyalty
” would be preferable to “grief” since it pretty much already implies
”suicide”
anyway.

I like self-bomber though.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
Nancy is pretty heavenly ngl
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #60 (isolation #1) » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:03 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 58, TemporalLich wrote:for the sd-bomber perhaps Fireball can work (you are a fireball spell that explodes)
Spoiler:

This could be another possibility. :lol:
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #64 (isolation #2) » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:36 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 63, Ythan wrote:To me an activated bomb is a bomb that only explodes if killed on a night the bomb ability is activated, presumably as opposed to another ability.
You need to include that the player who submits the action also dies, otherwise it’s just a regular bomb which only explodes if that player is
passively
targeted by an NK where as S-bomber/self-bomber/
suicide
bomber is an
active
action.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #103 (isolation #3) » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:05 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

Sacrificial bomber or reflexive day vig, work for me.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #105 (isolation #4) » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:13 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 104, Gypyx wrote:
In post 103, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:Sacrificial bomber or reflexive day vig, work for me.
none of those roles mean suicide bomber though
https://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Sacrificial

How does “sacrificial bomber” not mean the exact same thing? “Sacrificial” is a modifier that 100% causes the in game death of a player, when activated.

https://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Reflexive

The only difference with “reflexive day vig” is that it implies the death of said player is as a direct result which is pretty much irrelevant since most sd bombers don’t act with the sole intention to end their individual life in a game but to take out another player, so they actually both work.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #126 (isolation #5) » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:43 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

The term could be considered arguably offensive to Muslims and ought to be changed for that reason alone imo.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #139 (isolation #6) » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:37 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 127, Guillotina wrote:
In post 126, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:The term could be considered arguably offensive to Muslims and ought to be changed for that reason alone imo.
Why? Is the role named “Muslim Suicide Bomber”?

Any person from any culture, nationality, religion, ideology, sex etc that intends to cause mass fear is a terrorist and could become a suicide bomber. Anyone. Why do you assume that a suicide bomber is a synonymous of being a Muslim (not a race but a religion by the way) when historically, the Chinese were the first suicide bombers and after that the Christians?
When did I ever say anything of the kind? I said that the term could be considered arguably offensive to Muslims. I’m really not interested in debating something I never even said/implied.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #141 (isolation #7) » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:41 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 130, Ythan wrote:You have consistently bad takes on this subject as well.
+1

Did I wake up taking crazy pills because my concerns with the term and people understanding the reasoning why, ought to be you would think fairly self-evident? :lol:
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #145 (isolation #8) » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:46 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 135, samantha97 wrote:yes because it was brought up in both

instead of explaining why muslims are tied to suicide bombing, or more importantly why a muslim themselves would feel related to a suicide bomber role, you instead decided to get personal
No one is actually arguing this
. The argument is that Muslims could possibly find the terminology of the role offensive.

I have 0 issues with you but both you and Guillotina seem to not be getting my point. :/
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #146 (isolation #9) » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:49 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 142, TemporalLich wrote:
In post 135, samantha97 wrote:more importantly why a muslim themselves would feel related to a suicide bomber role
Because of stereotypes and prejudice.

It's a common stereotype for Muslims to be portrayed as SD-Bombers, and it's an extremely damaging one.
+1

I actually know a Muslim actor/writer/director who experienced harassment and profiling a few years ago at a Canadian airport.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #147 (isolation #10) » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:50 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 143, samantha97 wrote:
In post 141, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:Did I wake up taking crazy pills because my concerns with the term and people understanding the reasoning why, ought to be you would think fairly self-evident? :lol:
neither of you explained how they are related

wasn't trying to bash you for thinking the wrong thing or anything, I just thought you were unintentionally implying something you didn't want to/don't actually believe
TL expressed my exact thoughts on this.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #149 (isolation #11) » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:53 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 144, TemporalLich wrote:The wiki page is already moved to Exploder in lieu of any better terms.
Interesting that the alignment is considered “anti-town”. I actually had this role as town last year.

I actually like exploder.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #150 (isolation #12) » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:00 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 148, samantha97 wrote:
In post 142, TemporalLich wrote:Because of stereotypes and prejudice.

It's a common stereotype for Muslims to be portrayed as SD-Bombers, and it's an extremely damaging one.
I think implicit in connecting that stereotype of muslims to the role is itself engaging in it

no actual muslim would look at that role and see it as relating to themselves

I'm not gonna comment more on it though, I will leave you with a cute duck

Since I am not a Muslim, I won’t argue this, instead I will argue, that if there was an actual current mafia scum role that had any negative stereotypes/associatives to my specific ethnicity, I would definitely have a problem with it and leave it at that. :]
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #156 (isolation #13) » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:40 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 153, Guillotina wrote:
In post 135, samantha97 wrote:more importantly why a muslim themselves would feel related to a suicide bomber role

Then it's our duty not to contribute feeding the prejudice starting with not changing terms because they might offend a religious group when they don't and shouldn't. I have several Muslim friends and when they hear anything about suicide bombing or bombing in general they don't assume it was a fellow Muslim that did it, why should we?

They don't feel guilty about it either, because a religion has nothing to do with violent tendencies of an individual? True Muslims not the extremists killing in the name of God are pacifists, so us employing suicide bombers is not offensive to them, what is offensive to them is people assuming that the term suicide bomber will offend them.
It's the implied link between a suicide bomber and a Muslim that offends them. Using suicide bomber out of that context is completely fine to them because SD-Bombers have been around since powder was invented by the Chinese.
In post 146, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:

+1

I actually know a Muslim actor/writer/director who experienced harassment and profiling a few years ago at a Canadian airport.
Thanks for that history lesson. :lol:
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly

Return to “Mafia Discussion”