Term Replacement: Lovers and S* Bombers [CW: Self-Harm]

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Guillotina
Guillotina
He
Mafia Scum
Guillotina
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He

Post Post #108 (isolation #0) » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:29 am

Post by Guillotina »

Replace SD-Bomb with “Terror Bomb” or “Horror Bomb”.
Guillotina
Guillotina
He
Mafia Scum
Guillotina
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #111 (isolation #1) » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:22 am

Post by Guillotina »

In post 110, Cook wrote:In my open setup Make It Count, Cowboy, SD-bombers are flavored as Gunslinger.
Guillotina wrote:Replace SD-Bomb with “Terror Bomb” or “Horror Bomb”.
My only objection to "Terror Bomb" is implicitly say it's a terrorist attack. Unless that was what you were going for?

Horror Bomb feels very themed but could maybe work.

In general I'd like to push Sacrificial Dayvig as the replacement for SD-bomber, but you might also use Demolitionist.

"what makes me a good demoman?"
Terror is terror and is applied to anything that produces fear, it's not synonymous to terrorism only, i think every individual will give whatever meaning to a word that fits their agenda to be honest.

A bomb that explodes killing the user and the target is a terror bomb because there is nothing more scary than someone who is willing to kill you risking his own life and you see it in a lot of games without implying thatnis terrorism.
Guillotina
Guillotina
He
Mafia Scum
Guillotina
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #112 (isolation #2) » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:24 am

Post by Guillotina »

Have you played bomb chicken? He puts terror bombs out of its ass. Lol
Guillotina
Guillotina
He
Mafia Scum
Guillotina
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #115 (isolation #3) » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:33 am

Post by Guillotina »

In post 113, Ythan wrote:So that's where you pulled it from
Yah!
Guillotina
Guillotina
He
Mafia Scum
Guillotina
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #116 (isolation #4) » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:04 am

Post by Guillotina »

I dont like the term “sacrificial” because it reminds me of stories ive heard when i was a child about satanists sacrificing babies and baby chickens =(

How about “player x targeted player y and both went mimis forever” ?
Guillotina
Guillotina
He
Mafia Scum
Guillotina
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #118 (isolation #5) » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:46 am

Post by Guillotina »

I mean if you think about it, we are playing “Mafia”, i come from a country where mafia cartels terrorized the country for 25 years, we lived in fear thinking a car bomb would kill us at any time just for being at the wrong place and at the wrong time.
I think a better change would be changing the descriptions of what roles do. In example instead of “killing” (which is really scary in real life) we could rename it to “put in a eternal sleep”!, or instead of bombs that explode, we can use clouds that explode releasing sleepy powder...indefinitely. =)

What you think? (Im being serious, im not trolling).
Guillotina
Guillotina
He
Mafia Scum
Guillotina
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #122 (isolation #6) » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:51 am

Post by Guillotina »

We can have all kinds of bombs that do not kill the target but but in a eternal sleep, lock them up permanently, sent off in a spaceship to another unknown planet, miniaturizing the target and condemn the target to live inside a goat. Etc.

Just ideas.

Let me know if you want me to brainstorm more.
Guillotina
Guillotina
He
Mafia Scum
Guillotina
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #124 (isolation #7) » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:55 am

Post by Guillotina »

In post 120, TemporalLich wrote:
In post 118, Guillotina wrote:I mean if you think about it, we are playing “Mafia”, i come from a country where mafia cartels terrorized the country for 25 years, we lived in fear thinking a car bomb would kill us at any time just for being at the wrong place and at the wrong time.
I think a better change would be changing the descriptions of what roles do. In example instead of “killing” (which is really scary in real life) we could rename it to “put in a eternal sleep”!, or instead of bombs that explode, we can use clouds that explode releasing sleepy powder...indefinitely. =)

What you think? (Im being serious, im not trolling).
We can just call the game Werewolf if it gets to that point. We already have a term replacement for "Mafia", and that is "Werewolf".

As for killing it's too standard and prevalent in American Media to warrant a term replacement imo... but again I shouldn't assume things like this
Actually mafia replaced werewolves but yah we could go back to werewolves ripping us to shreds instead =)

Ok Temporal. Well SD-Bomber for something that does not explode killing people hmmm, i think i gave you a bun h of ideas. Leaving the thread now.
Guillotina
Guillotina
He
Mafia Scum
Guillotina
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #127 (isolation #8) » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:30 am

Post by Guillotina »

In post 126, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:The term could be considered arguably offensive to Muslims and ought to be changed for that reason alone imo.
Why? Is the role named “Muslim Suicide Bomber”?

Any person from any culture, nationality, religion, ideology, sex etc that intends to cause mass fear is a terrorist and could become a suicide bomber. Anyone. Why do you assume that a suicide bomber is a synonymous of being a Muslim (not a race but a religion by the way) when historically, the Chinese were the first suicide bombers and after that the Christians?
Guillotina
Guillotina
He
Mafia Scum
Guillotina
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #153 (isolation #9) » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:12 am

Post by Guillotina »

In post 142, TemporalLich wrote:
In post 135, samantha97 wrote:more importantly why a muslim themselves would feel related to a suicide bomber role
Because of stereotypes and prejudice.

It's a common stereotype for Muslims to be portrayed as SD-Bombers, and it's an extremely damaging one.
Then it's our duty not to contribute feeding the prejudice starting with not changing terms because they might offend a religious group when they don't and shouldn't. I have several Muslim friends and when they hear anything about suicide bombing or bombing in general they don't assume it was a fellow Muslim that did it, why should we?

They don't feel guilty about it either, because a religion has nothing to do with violent tendencies of an individual? True Muslims not the extremists killing in the name of God are pacifists, so us employing suicide bombers is not offensive to them, what is offensive to them is people assuming that the term suicide bomber will offend them.
It's the implied link between a suicide bomber and a Muslim that offends them. Using suicide bomber out of that context is completely fine to them because SD-Bombers have been around since powder was invented by the Chinese.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”