Design Principles for Mafia Games Aside From Balance, Etc?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Design Principles for Mafia Games Aside From Balance, Etc?

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:51 am

Post by Psyche »

I think a lot of the conversation about game setups focuses on questions of whether they are balanced (each player has a fair chance of winning) or swingy (small mistakes/successes have a decisive impact on game outcomes) or whatever, but I'm sure there are other qualities a setup can have that are just as important to whether they prove a good experience for players as anything else. As a maybe bad example, setup complexity or opacity can have meaningful consequences for player enjoyment, for instance.

I wonder if we can have a conversation that identifies and highlights these other features and maybe characterizes them in enough of a concrete way that they could conceivably be applied as useful guidance during setup design and review.
youtube playlist extracter | donbot | game scraper | vca | setupsim | strategist | llm
NorwegianboyEE
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
GLADiator

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:49 am

Post by NorwegianboyEE »

What is the most complicated setup run on this forum? Was player enjoyment low?
Norwe is spontaneous, has a stream-of-consciouness posting style, usually posts on catch-ups by commenting on past pages posts, gets rather fired up in certain moments in games, is relatively as playful as me in games and likes casual shitposting

- Bunno
Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: they (pl.)

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:55 am

Post by Infinity 324 »

I think a lot of the concepts that apply to game design in general apply here, like you want a setup to have a good amount of novelty while also being as intuitive as possible. Mech misunderstandings are annoying to sort through and can occasionally have major impacts on the game.
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

plural system, we may or may not sign
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:04 am

Post by Psyche »

So stuff like Natural Action Resolution, enforcing normalcy by default, and making flavor cohere with mechanics seem like a few ways to keep a setup intuitive, but am I missing anything? And whether novelty is good depends on what's new, right?
youtube playlist extracter | donbot | game scraper | vca | setupsim | strategist | llm
Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: they (pl.)

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:11 am

Post by Infinity 324 »

Simplicity is another good way to make something intuitive

Not sure what you mean by the second question
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

plural system, we may or may not sign
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She/It

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:42 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

I feel like something that might go unrecognized sometimes is the importance of player agency. A game that was won with your personal skills feels more fulfilling than a game won because the setup was broken, and a game lost because of actually bad play stings less than losing because the setup screwed you over. Of course, in the case of lost games, situations of the latter often arise because of the former (that is to say, bad play can be the cause of setup-based losses). This is probably why cop is unpopular for certain players/mods, since it gives very plain results that can turn a game around completely if used well, or even at least half-decent.

I'm sure there's more I can say but I can't think of it rn
<Embrace The Void>

My pronouns are she and it, please respect that. I don't mind the occasional slip.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:05 am

Post by Ythan »

Make games townsided because every other faction is actually fun and that outweighs being at a disadvantage.
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:52 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

no it doesn't
<Embrace The Void>

My pronouns are she and it, please respect that. I don't mind the occasional slip.
Kerset
Kerset
he/she
Mafia Scum
Kerset
he/she
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/she

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:03 am

Post by Kerset »

Breaking factor is also very important. Game shouldn't favor d1 massclaim or any situation, where yall decides how to use personal power roles from the very begining.
giv me pagetop :(
Kerset
Kerset
he/she
Mafia Scum
Kerset
he/she
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/she

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:08 am

Post by Kerset »

In post 1, NorwegianboyEE wrote:What is the most complicated setup run on this forum? Was player enjoyment low?
maybe? viewtopic.php?f=56&t=81945 or something from Tatsuya Kaname
giv me pagetop :(
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: she/her, not they

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:44 pm

Post by Isis »

Rolecall didn't go well but Im not sure that setup concept is irredeemable
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:03 pm

Post by northsidegal »

Great thread!

I personally think that the two "highest level" concepts that setups should strive to get right are balance and fun. Some might argue that fun is the only one that really matters, but I think that in most cases a setup being significantly unbalanced will tend to lead towards it being unfun. (In this sense you could also say that they're actually the same thing, but whatever, it's useful for the sake of discussion I think to keep them separate)

One aspect that falls under the balance side that I think doesn't get thought of or discussed enough is "skew", a property that I think CFJ first talked about. Skew is the tendency for one faction to be able to make massive gains if they play well or get lucky, while the other faction does not have that ability. If a game is skewed equally, then good play or lucky actions from either town or mafia should benefit their team about the same. I think that most games of mafia tend to by default be skewed in town's favor, and especially normal games. I also think that this natural town skew is what's responsible for a lot of anger over "townsidedness", again especially in normal games. Here's some of my justification on that from a thread where a lot of people thought that normal games were too townsided:
In post 54, northsidegal wrote:The very peak of scum mechanical play mostly looks like killing the best people each night, probably very good PR hunting and
maybe
good roleblocking (if scum have a roleblocker), whereas the very peak of town mechanical play (where we imagine every town PR makes the best decisions possible) would almost certainly end with town victories in most setups. I say this because Normal games tend not to be balanced around PRs making perfect checks every night, because that's not how most games go.

1. Normal games aren't balanced around TPRs making perfect checks each night, because this doesn't tend to happen.
  2. If TPRs took perfect (or at least very good) actions each night, they would probably win a lot of setups.
  3. The same ability does not exist for scum, because their PRs tend to be based around disrupting town PRs. Perfect nightkills and roleblocks would stem the tide of perfect TPR actions, but would still likely give town the advantage in most games.
  4. Thus, we might say that these games are skewed, because the town can make more gains through great actions than the scum can through similarly great actions.
(Most people have probably heard a lot more about "swing" as a balance property, and might consider skew the same thing. I think that there are a lot of cases where they match up, but there are still some meaningful distinctions. For example, I would consider the Newbie A1 RB vs Cop + Doc to be a swingy setup, but not a very skewed one. Again, probably too tangential at this point)
Despite the fact that the data didn't actually bear out normal games being townsided (winrates were almost exactly 50%), the perception existed in a lot of people and seemed to be decently strong, indicating that there was at least something there. My diagnosis was and is that it was a skew problem – if you have a scumteam which is playing excellently during the day but which gets decimated by just a few night actions (as I've seen happen), it can feel both like the setup was way too townsided
and
that there was nothing else that you could have done, which is a really bad feeling.

I think it's difficult to combat skew problems because I think scum will almost always be inherently really skewed against due to their smaller numbers and more precarious position, but I think that it's worth keeping in mind ways that a setup can reward scum for good play and trying to minimize the possibility that a scumteam playing well will still get destroyed due to a few lucky actions.
wiki | modded | Newbie NewD3 Stats | scripts

things fall apart
Dannflor
Dannflor
he/him
Survivor
Dannflor
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:10 am

Post by Dannflor »

There's a mental aspect that maybe someone smarter about mafia and game design than me can put into better words

but like, a game can be theoretically perfectly balanced but still be very demotivating for one or both sides due to perceived *something* (someone smart insert a game design term here pls)

I am talking specifically about setups like forest fire (I'm remembering one particular large theme moderated by someone) that is technically balanced but due to the way play worked out, the lack of flips resulted in a sometimes oppressive game atmosphere. Is this even something that can be accounted for in game design? I dunno
NorwegianboyEE
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
GLADiator

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:36 am

Post by NorwegianboyEE »

In post 9, Kerset wrote:
In post 1, NorwegianboyEE wrote:What is the most complicated setup run on this forum? Was player enjoyment low?
maybe? viewtopic.php?f=56&t=81945 or something from Tatsuya Kaname
Ah yes, my worst nightmare. Of course.
Norwe is spontaneous, has a stream-of-consciouness posting style, usually posts on catch-ups by commenting on past pages posts, gets rather fired up in certain moments in games, is relatively as playful as me in games and likes casual shitposting

- Bunno
lendunistus
lendunistus
he/him
Goon
lendunistus
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:41 am

Post by lendunistus »

In post 6, Ythan wrote:Make games townsided because every other faction is actually fun and that outweighs being at a disadvantage.
i hate playing scum
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:21 am

Post by callforjudgement »

In post 10, Isis wrote:Rolecall didn't go well but Im not sure that setup concept is irredeemable
I think the role allocation method needs to be simpler, in the sense of "fewer options" (as opposed to in the sense of "easier to understand") – possibly the whole setup is an argument against giving players
excessive
agency! I have been working on a sequel, but haven't had much time to work on it.

On the main topic of this thread, my current list of balance/fun properties that matter is:
- Win/loss balance (if you ran this setup repeatedly, would town or scum win more?)
- Swing (how much of the balance of this setup is determined by random chance or apparently insignificant events?)
- Skew (does one side or the other have a disproportionate ability to benefit from swing?)
- Agency (how much influence do players of a particular faction have over the end result?)
- Swing agency / "good" vs. "bad" swing (when the game does get very unbalanced very quickly, how likely is this to have been due to one faction playing well/badly, as opposed to random chance or something that nobody could predict?)

Agency in particular is something that people haven't been looking at until recently. I think there was a period of low scum agency for a while in the Normal queues, for example; games would be won or lost primarily based on how well town played, which is fun for the townies but less fun for the scum. One potential partial fix for this (that I've seen several setup designers use now) is to increase the use of Informed roles on the scum side, so that they have some idea of what they need to be playing around.

Skew is something I've been paying attention to for a couple of years now. Mafia tends to be at least mildly town-skewed by default, just because scumteams tend to be small and losing a member is often a devastating blow to a scum team, whereas individual townies are normally somewhat less critical. It can get extreme in some cases, though (excessive skew is the reason why I think 11:2 vanilla is a bad setup, even beyond its more normal balance issues). I'm not aware of any easy/general fix to this.

Of course, all these factors are related. For example, giving a faction low agency will tend to skew a game in favour of their opponents (although not always, you can e.g. imagine a setup which is skewed towards a faction with low agency because the opposing faction might easily lose important members to bad luck). And giving both factions low agency will make a game very swingy as it's mostly being decided by random events. Skew also tends to throw off players' perceptions of the balance of a setup, too, because they tend to think of the "normal scenario" when thinking about a setup's balance (which, most likely, will be the scenario that actually happened in the game), and don't take into account the possibility that all the weird scenarios might favour the same side (which means that you have to bias the normal scenario towards the other side to compensate).
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Menalque
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:38 am

Post by Menalque »

In post 6, Ythan wrote:because every other faction is actually fun
"we knew everything... And we knew nothing."
T3
T3
He/him
Survivor
T3
He/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:49 am

Post by T3 »

fun
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:19 pm

Post by mastina »

Fun.

A game can be balanced, and relatively low-swing.

But fun is another consideration to be had.
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:42 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

In post 15, callforjudgement wrote:Agency in particular is something that people haven't been looking at until recently. I think there was a period of low scum agency for a while in the Normal queues, for example; games would be won or lost primarily based on how well town played, which is fun for the townies but less fun for the scum. One potential partial fix for this (that I've seen several setup designers use now) is to increase the use of Informed roles on the scum side, so that they have some idea of what they need to be playing around.
I wasn’t aware that was why Informed scum was becoming more common
<Embrace The Void>

Return to “Mafia Discussion”