Does Mafia have any famous and well-studied games?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Does Mafia have any famous and well-studied games?

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:05 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

In chess there are, for example, the Opera House game and the Immortal game. They are well-known for their beauty, depth, and skill level. Does this forum have that kind of games that are ingrained into its culture?
If u dont elim me today, you are Minecrafters
~Vasex
When i open this game, and starting read, i immediatly close it because i starting strongly consider self last townie alive and others are just jesters.
~Enchant
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:42 am

Post by Something_Smart »

Yes and no. But mostly no.

I think the main hurdle to this is that the amount of information contained in a mafia game is much much bigger than that of a game like chess. In chess, you can play through a famous game in just a few minutes, and you can analyze all the moves and the plans in-depth.

In mafia, it's not practical to have old games that we continually direct new players to look at, because that's an incredible amount of effort, and doing more than a cursory analysis is very difficult. However, I do find that games achieve this status temporarily-- while they remain in people's memory, and lots of people have at least heard of the game and can understand basic comparisons to it. And this is generally a stable system, since there is nothing new under the sun-- for any old game that could demonstrate a particular principle, there's probably a newer game that demonstrates it equally well.
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
NorwegianboyEE
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
GLADiator

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:24 am

Post by NorwegianboyEE »

Not that i know off.
Some games might mean a lot to the players that participated and certain individuals, but games that are as a whole seen as something super famous or attention inducing doesn't seem to be an concept here.
Norwe is spontaneous, has a stream-of-consciouness posting style, usually posts on catch-ups by commenting on past pages posts, gets rather fired up in certain moments in games, is relatively as playful as me in games and likes casual shitposting

- Bunno
NorwegianboyEE
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
GLADiator

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:25 am

Post by NorwegianboyEE »

I suppose Team Mafia games could be an exception, but that is mainly because it's such an sitewide thing that many people pay more attention to it.
Norwe is spontaneous, has a stream-of-consciouness posting style, usually posts on catch-ups by commenting on past pages posts, gets rather fired up in certain moments in games, is relatively as playful as me in games and likes casual shitposting

- Bunno
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:39 pm

Post by Cheery Dog »

I don't think there are any well studied games, but that are games that I could classify as infamous.
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
T3
T3
He/him
Survivor
T3
He/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:17 pm

Post by T3 »

'infamous'
I think there was a Lt a while ago where the mod and75% of the players flaked out.
Cook
Cook
She
Mafia Scum
Cook
She
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: She

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:05 pm

Post by Cook »

the first forum game on GL?
Your friendly neighborhood chef and baker. LONG LIVE THE CHEFHAT REBELLION!
Cults With Guns //
"ya true if you don't play mafia you are probably winning" – Alisae

Inventor of 3d20 //
Successful Rebellion Leader//
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:02 am

Post by chamber »

There is that game where Hoopla self voted in 3p elo as a supersaint.
Taking a break from the site.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:22 pm

Post by mastina »

There was a time in my life where I was able to cite from memory basically every game that made it onto the wiki; every game that had a memorable title attached to it, every game that people referenced; etc.

Sadly, the days of me being able to cite such things have long-since passed.

I can however mention certain games notable for leaving permanent influences on site culture:

Large "Normal" 92 was one of the two games which singlehandedly lead to the formation of the Normal Review Group, demonstrating why there needed to be a dedicated review group for determining what was 'Normal' and what was not--you need only look at the roles present to see plenty of examples. Limmer, Mafia Mason, even a Cult, in a game that was "Normal".

(I can't find the other game but I seem to recall that it was a "Normal" that involved a masonry being informed they were actually the mafia N1 and random VTs becoming serial killers every time the town mislimmed.)

Beyond this, ever since the Scummies introduced "Game of the Year" as a Scummie, the games nominated for that award are the closest I would say we've got to "famous" games in recent history.
(That, and games which resulted in Titles. As the Title Fairy, I have somewhat extensive knowledge about where titles come from but I am, sadly, not encyclopedic with my knowledge there. Still, most titles which come from a single game usually mean the game in question was at least somewhat famous.)
(Oh, also; we have a Records page, not updated in forever but every game on the Records page was famous back in its day for one reason or another.)

I cannot give you famous games prior to the introduction of the GotY scummie because my memory of them is no longer present, but can give you game highlights from Scummies:
Silent Mafia 3 is, I believe, where OhGodMyLife got the title "Silent But Deadly" from.
Mindscrew Mafia series of games (3 in this case), the game series behind Tarhalindur's title, is another huge lasting impact on site culture, in helping us define what is Bastard and what is not. (Vi actually wrote a guide which can explain this more eloquently than I can about some of the effects Tar had left behind.)
I'm not sure if it's famous, per se, but Boost Mafia and its sequel Boost Mafia 2 are two of the best games from its era.
The War In Heaven series of games (II in this case) are also a notable part of the site's older culture; the HURT: tags HEAL: we HURT WITH A BLADE: use are linked to that series of games, having been added because of them.
This game in the same year as this game were two, among many, that gave Haylen the title "Life of the third party".
I'm less certain of it, but I believe this game (on the linked page) was responsible for imaginality's title of Restricted Townie.

Medeival Mafia was one of the best games of 2009.
/in-vitational 4 was one of the best games of 2009.
Legacy of the Ancients was one of the best games of 2009.
Super Smash Brothers was considered one of the best games of 2010. (I'm least familiar with this era of site culture so I can't really be confident.)
A Clash of Kings was considered one of the best games of 2010. (I'm least familiar with this era of site culture so I can't really be confident.)
Lord of the Rings Mafia was considered one of the best games of 2010. (I'm least familiar with this era of site culture so I can't really be confident.)
Fates Mafia was considered one of the best games of 2010. (I'm least familiar with this era of site culture so I can't really be confident.)

The MtG Parallel Universe series of games was basically a gigantic Large Normal disguised as three mini themes, and in many ways has influenced multiple games since then, with its pseudo-Team-Mafia format, back before Team Mafia was actually a big thing.

The Vi pod battery has left a lasting legacy on many moderators who have adopted similar deadline rules (most notably in current moderation I believe would be Cabd).
The Stars Aligned series of games (linked second) was, while with its flaws in each iteration, a solid standard in how to run a mostly open setup with solid flavor and good mechanics and one of my strongest memories.
This was one of many games that earned SaintKerrigan their title, with them being notable for having some of the best flavorwriting skills of any mod onsite for damn good reason.
The original Pick Your Power game (At least I think this was the original version of it.) is noteworthy for being where we got...well, one of the most popular Open games of all time that shares the namesake of the original, and from which we can trace the lineage of countless other games inspired by this choice mechanic. (Most recently, Gypyx's Draft game uses a very similar mechanic, as an example of how this is still influencing site culture to this very day.)

DEFCON Mafia is one of the most iconic game series we've had, which has continued to be run multiple times since then, most recently by SirCakez. It has the perfect mixture of meme-worthy content, chaos, and yet legitimate scumhunting with mechanical talk and optimization consideration and so on and so forth.
Perpetual Mylo Mafia is an Open game that has remained one of the staples on the site, and this game was the original iteration of the now-famous Open setup that spawned from a result of it. (At least I think this was the original version of it.)

Chess Mafia is one of the most infamous mafia games of all time in that it was technically speaking a mafia game because technically speaking the town could choose to eliminate players during the day phase and thus allow mafia to nightkill players, but they never opted to use the Elimination mechanic they had access to, instead preferring to play the chess game out. This makes it one of the longest games of all time.

Kingdom Hearts was, once upon a time, one of the longest games of all time.
Phables: Death Note Mafia was also one of the longest games of all time filled with numerous mechanics.
The Game of the Year was similarly long (tho I don't know much about it).
Occarina of Time was also very long and reasonably complex.
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Legacy was one of the longest games of all time and where mykonian got his title from, and is one of the most famous yet also most infamous games of its era.
Mafia Behind the Maiden was even longer (tho I don't have much knowledge there).
Politics Mafia had a ton of unusual voting mechanics and was multiball to boot and insanely complex but left a notable memory on a whole generation of scummers.
Overly Posh Mafia is one of the largest games onsite but has the honor of being one of the only non-theme games on the list.
It was eventually toppled by the aptly named A Large Normal.
And then my Maniacle Street Mafia game--another noteworthy game that left a lasting impact on an entire generation of summers. (It remains an incredibly flawed game in many ways but also probably one of the games most iconic of my moderation.)
Of course, eventually, another Large Normal would topple even my game, that being the Epic Game of Epicness.
MafiaStuck held the honor of longest by page game of all time for a long long time.
Mobile Suit Gundam Seed was even longer although at the time wasn't the longest game, was still an iconic game though.
We Didn't Playtest This was even longer although again at the time wasn't the longest, but was basically two different games meshed together in an incredibly unique interesting way.

Tales of You is one of the most infamous games of all time where basically every player the town eliminated had the scumteam nailed basically dead to rights and every player the scum nightkilled...didn't, because the scum were eliminating the largest threats to them in the day and didn't need to nightkill the accurate players.

Fire Emblem: Awakening contained one of the most unique, interesting mechanics of all time by pairing individuals up (producing a topic between them) and the paired individuals producing offspring--introducing new players into the game after the pairs were formed.

InuYasha Mafia was one of the longest games of all time and was a game people didn't know was multiball until it was too late.

UnderTale Mafia was even longer although I don't actually know much about it.

SaGa Frontier was an even longer game and a fine example of Varsoon at the prime of his moderation (Varsoon being one of the best theme game designers we've had on site but suffering from, to some extent, the Tarhalindur problem Vi described, in many ways being a less-bastard version of Tar in his games and his legacy).

Another example even longer: Steven Universe 2. It is one of my favorite games of all time, and one of Varsoon's best games of all time, and probably one of the games he is most well-known for, containing a bunch of legendary players from multiple eras of site history and is a game that to this day still gets referenced reasonably often.

SMITE Mafia remains one of my favorite games of all time and has the length to support that; it was a fine example of dramonic at
his
prime, and filled with legends of their era.

The longest game of all time before people stopped updating records was the infamous Civilization Mafia, and it has left a mark (mostly in the form of scars) on an entire generation of more recent scummers, and is a game that many still carry bad blood/memories from. The game featured brilliant mechanics that were highly unique and interesting, with highly apt flavor and was wondrously designed, but the stunning setup and moderation was overshadowed by the sheer.
length
. of the game, dwarfing literally every longest game played by a landslide, and has left long-lasting memories, mostly bad but some good and lots of learning experiences from players.

(I'm getting fatigued, I've still got years of scummies and more records and more title fairy stuff to sort through, so consider this a highly incomplete, only partial, list. I can make it more complete given more time but I need to take a break before I do more.)
Klick
Klick
Flash Forward
Klick
Flash Forward
Flash Forward

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:41 pm

Post by Klick »

In post 7, chamber wrote:There is that game where Hoopla self voted in 3p elo as a supersaint.
Came here to say this, this is the one you're looking for

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=14128
imaginality
imaginality
he/they
Restricted Townie
imaginality
he/they
Restricted Townie
Restricted Townie
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:45 pm

Post by imaginality »

In post 8, mastina wrote:I'm less certain of it, but I believe this game (on the linked page) was responsible for imaginality's title of Restricted Townie.
Good memory, that's going back a bit! It was acombination of that game and the Monty Python game shaft.ed ran (where I had to call everyone "Bruce") that accounts for the 'restricted' part, and the fact every single one of my roles for my first dozen or so games was town-aligned for the 'townie' part.
"holy shit this entire time i thought imaginalitys profile was a purple seahorse" - camelCasedSnivy
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:59 pm

Post by Psyche »

i still think a lot about space monkies mafia (was that the name?)

Return to “Mafia Discussion”