Mafia Rule Updates Discussion Thread

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Radical Rat
Radical Rat
They/Them
Jack of All Trades

Radical Rat
They/Them
Jack of All Trades

Jack of All Trades

Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #27 (isolation #0) » Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:20 pm

Post by Radical Rat »

I think the new trust tell rules are overkill. My understanding is that the problem with trust tells is that you sacrifice current games to get an advantage in future ones, and indeed that's no good. But the new rules seem to encompass simply having a belief that as a certain alignment you should play a certain way.

Like, I personally believe that hard bussing is bad for Mafia. Therefore, except under extreme circumstances, I'm not gonna do it. And I don't see it as a threat to the game's integrity to say as much.

I understand that establishing a track record of not bussing then gives me more credibility on a scum wagon than someone without such a record, but that's just a natural consequence of playing a game many times with the same people, and that advantage will remain regardless of whether I'm allowed to say it or not. It's not something that can just be legislated away, unfortunate though that may be, and attempts to do so just restrict legitimate arguments from being made.
Maybe the real Mafia was the friends we made along the way

Shiny and new GTKAS thread!
Radical Rat
Radical Rat
They/Them
Jack of All Trades

Radical Rat
They/Them
Jack of All Trades

Jack of All Trades

Post Post #112 (isolation #1) » Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:33 am

Post by Radical Rat »

Ongoing game rules are good. Strongly disagree that there "needs" to be a way to express a read based on an ongoing game, because while sure you could argue that not expressing such a read is "gamethrowing," it's understood that playing to your win condition has limits where game integrity is involved.

As an extreme example, if I were to stumble across a mod's laptop, it would be gamethrowing NOT to open up MafiaScum and read all the role PMs, because that would help me win, right? Except it's obviously understood that that isn't how the game is played.

Same goes for ongoing games. If you can't find a reason to scumread them in the game that is actually being played... Too bad, guess they're getting away with it.

Radical Rat
Radical Rat
They/Them
Jack of All Trades

Radical Rat
They/Them
Jack of All Trades

Jack of All Trades

Post Post #114 (isolation #2) » Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:11 am

Post by Radical Rat »

Yes, that's my point. I, of course, don't think using ongoing game reads is an equivalent offense to actively seeking and acquiring forbidden information, obviously blatant cheating is much worse.

But in either case, you're expected to set aside the desire to win for the sake of maintaining game integrity. If it's something really bad, like role PMs, you tell the mod and replace out. If it's something minor, like noting an event in an ongoing game, you keep quiet and/or find something actually in the present game to push on.

Radical Rat
Radical Rat
They/Them
Jack of All Trades

Radical Rat
They/Them
Jack of All Trades

Jack of All Trades

Post Post #147 (isolation #3) » Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:22 am

Post by Radical Rat »

I did have a question regarding the updates to secret communication.

This is from the recent Grand Idea Deflated Bubble, didn't even think about it at the time, but realized it could potentially be against the updated rules:
Considering werewolf killing Korina, and CPRing Andante tonight.

If you object to either or both, find some excuse to quote a post from them in the discussion thread.
It's not cryptography or hidden text or anything, but it IS using a public channel to as a means of secretly conveying a message, so is something like this okay?

Return to “Mafia Discussion”