Why don’t more mods allow hydras?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
MegAzumarill
Mafia Scum

Pronoun: No Preference

Post Post #25  (ISO)  » Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:05 pm

I'll chime in with the take of the mechanics complexity argument:

Normal games has recently been changed for some games to be labeled as simple with very basic mechanics in play which should serve as a good alternative for someone who doesn't like to/ struggles with more complex mechanics.
Imperfection is the spice of life.

Nancy Drew 39
Not that Inno Scent

Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #26  (ISO)  » Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:55 pm

In post 25, MegAzumarill wrote:I'll chime in with the take of the mechanics complexity argument:

Normal games has recently been changed for some games to be labeled as simple with very basic mechanics in play which should serve as a good alternative for someone who doesn't like to/ struggles with more complex mechanics.

Good to know but I also really like themes and experimental setups so long as they’re not excessively mech complex but I want to be good at mech complex games, not to avoid them.
***We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy) ~the worst*******Nancy is pretty heavenly ngl ~CheekyTeeky******* Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect. ~Taly***

Irrelephant11
Jack of All Trades

Pronoun: He

Post Post #27  (ISO)  » Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:45 am

I think hydras are a Good Thing. They allow for mentorship, help solve problems of low potential activity, and can be fun for those in the hydra because they get to guarantee they share an alignment.

On the other hand, hydras do seem to increase a game’s complexity, and sometimes add a chaotic or even silly vibe. There’s also sometimes a competitive advantage, yeah (imagine a 2v7 game but the two mafia slots are randomly chosen to be filled by three-headed hydras? Rolling mafia is about looking unaligned and having the stamina to lie for long game days, and isn’t that now much easier?).

So, my take: the way things are is close to ideal. Hydras are fun and help make games accessible to hydra-enjoyers. But they also change a game’s flavor, and introduce challenges to the non-hydra players. For this reason it’s a Good Thing that some games allow hydras and some don’t
Hey all! Excited and nervous to play my first game with you!

Thestatusquo
Shea

Post Post #28  (ISO)  » Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:57 pm

In post 11, Yume wrote:You know what? Since the fact that many of us like hydras are clearly a personal affront to those who don't, then how about we who like them leave the site for good and make our own where hydras are allowed?! You can keep this one for all I care!!!

for the love of god please do.
Bow down, peasants!

Manatee Mafia coming to a large theme queue near you SOON (TM)

JunkoChan
Mafia Scum

Pronoun: She/her

Post Post #29  (ISO)  » Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:38 pm

Hydras are overpowered, I can play as them and stomp but is annoying to play against them
Show

Firebringer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #30  (ISO)  » Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:45 am

first i feel liek this topic or something similar gets reposted every year, almost seems like just yesterday nancy was talking about either hydra or alts.

secondly i haven't played as many games as i used to but unless site meta changed, the majority of games allow hydra. ive only seen like... maybe 4? This year in which it was banned. Is there a new trend im unaware of.

i find having no hydra game can be refreshing once in awhile, not everygame should have them. As a mod i dislike hydras because they are the ones i always expect to have activity issues either one head not playing or both because neither had time and they just signed up with assumption other will carry it.
Show

Previous
[ + ]

Return to Mafia Discussion