Lying as town

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Sterling the steampunk
Sterling the steampunk
Townie
Sterling the steampunk
Townie
Townie

Lying as town

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:53 pm

Post by Sterling the steampunk »

When, if ever should you lie as town? I feel that there's very little benefit to lying as town and a lot of down sides, but sometimes lying as town can work, for example veteran baiting, basically tell the town you're a role that the Mafia is likely to target so you can kill them. Let's see, you can probably get away with telling the town you're VT when you have a power roles to throw the Mafia off your tail.
furtiveglance
furtiveglance
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
furtiveglance
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:19 am

Post by furtiveglance »

In post 0, Sterling the steampunk wrote:When, if ever should you lie as town? I feel that there's very little benefit to lying as town and a lot of down sides, but sometimes lying as town can work, for example veteran baiting, basically tell the town you're a role that the Mafia is likely to target so you can kill them. Let's see, you can probably get away with telling the town you're VT when you have a power roles to throw the Mafia off your tail.
Part of the game innit, anything goes. But if you lie and it doesn't work be ready for blame, same with any play.
unwnd
unwnd
Jack of All Trades
unwnd
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:57 pm

Post by unwnd »

What you're describing is basically a gambit, which I chalk up as flashy play. 'Flashy' in this regard is doing something that is impractical. It's a risk, and hardly ever calculated. I would suggest not being tempted by that type of play, because it's intentionally deceptive. The act of being intentionally deceptive is something that most people are not very good at, and learning how to do so is pretty much working backwards as a player.
If you start forming this habit early, it will become less likely for others to trust you. You want to try to be honest where you can as town.
People will be able to discern your alignment much easier, which overall helps your faction. By doing so, your contributions will be easier to parse, and you will start to build rapport with other members of the town.

That being said, lying is such an integral component to mafia that I think it's nigh impossible to avoid. There can be a benefit to a well-executed lie, but that comes with time and experience. I think as you develop as a player and get more familiar with yourself, you can try implementing lies as town more often. Just be careful and think about
why
it is you're lying instead of just lying for the sake of it. That's when you're liable, and may frustrate your teammates.
Stop
Sterling the steampunk
Sterling the steampunk
Townie
Sterling the steampunk
Townie
Townie

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:25 pm

I agree, your lies need to serve a purpose, like never claim survivor as town, all it will do is make everyone distrust you, because town don't need survivors to win and it's a common evil claim, and evil roles don't need them either.

Hell even saw town lose because the medium claimed survivor
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:01 pm

Post by Irrelephant11 »

Sometimes I lie about my reads changing in twilight to affect the mafia’s nightkill. For example if everyone pretty much agrees that player X should die next, I pretend to suspect player Y just before the night phase. Now the mafia’s kill says something - Player Y might have killed me vs player X killing some one else… etc.
It also has potential to throw off scum night actions, if they think there’s a chance they could be targeted by me
Hey all! Excited and nervous to play my first game with you!
Sterling the steampunk
Sterling the steampunk
Townie
Sterling the steampunk
Townie
Townie

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:25 am

that's a pretty good lie, tell the town you suspect someone you don't to see how the mafia reacts, but the thing is they can manipulate your read, like killing the person who suspected an innocent player to frame him/her
Enchant
Enchant
Survivor
Enchant
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:03 am

Post by Enchant »

Lie when it benefits your faction.
Tell truth when it benefits your faction.
Keep silence when it benefits your faction.

It's not really hard, eh?
Wizard-Mercenary

You need replacement/players ASAP? PM me! I almost always accept.
Sterling the steampunk
Sterling the steampunk
Townie
Sterling the steampunk
Townie
Townie

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:34 am

well that's a over simplification, yes you should lie when it benefits your faction, the question is when does a lie benefits the town?
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:30 am

Post by Ythan »

It's so nuanced and specific to the situation. I don't know what sort of generalizations could be made safely if any.
Enchant
Enchant
Survivor
Enchant
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:17 am

Post by Enchant »

In post 7, Sterling the steampunk wrote:well that's a over simplification, yes you should lie when it benefits your faction, the question is when does a lie benefits the town?
If you have this question, then don't lie altogether. You will fuck up even with instructions.
Wizard-Mercenary

You need replacement/players ASAP? PM me! I almost always accept.
Sterling the steampunk
Sterling the steampunk
Townie
Sterling the steampunk
Townie
Townie

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:33 am

Agreed, not lying is generally good for town
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:46 am

Post by Ythan »

In post 9, Enchant wrote:
In post 7, Sterling the steampunk wrote:well that's a over simplification, yes you should lie when it benefits your faction, the question is when does a lie benefits the town?
If you have this question, then don't lie altogether. You will fuck up even with instructions.
This is how I feel about it. I think you'll know it when you see it and otherwise you'll most likely just cause a big mess if you grasp blindly.
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:39 pm

Post by Irrelephant11 »

In post 5, Sterling the steampunk wrote:that's a pretty good lie, tell the town you suspect someone you don't to see how the mafia reacts, but the thing is they can manipulate your read, like killing the person who suspected an innocent player to frame him/her
Well if they kill me to try to frame a townie, that townie now has a new perspective - they can look for the person trying to frame them in the thread. Yada yada yada point being there’s something *there* to read into, which isn’t true when the entire town is basically on the same page (towniest player dies and it means nothing)
Hey all! Excited and nervous to play my first game with you!

Return to “Mafia Discussion”