Replacing out

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #82 (isolation #0) » Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:34 am

Post by Zachrulez »

Oh we're actively talking about punishing replace outs now? That definitely won't chill site activity even more...

Punishing replace outs isn't going to do anything but make the people who are angry about it feel better. It's definitely not going to help the site and it's not going to stop anyone from actually flaking. It might actually prevent them from returning if the site culture is more hostile to flaking actually.

The only real practical thing I think can be done is game limits. You simply prevent people from signing up to too many games. That actually would limit the damage a single user could do when the need to replace out arises.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #85 (isolation #1) » Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:01 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 84, DkKoba wrote: Haven't seen you actually playing or hosting in a while regardless :tea:
Sorry I didn't realize we were gatekeeping opinions.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #88 (isolation #2) » Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:17 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 87, DkKoba wrote:
In post 85, Zachrulez wrote:
In post 84, DkKoba wrote: Haven't seen you actually playing or hosting in a while regardless :tea:
Sorry I didn't realize we were gatekeeping opinions.
your opinion was that we need to just deal with people who are flakey because "lol no games" while having no skin in the game. its frankly, obnoxious.
Actually making zero effort to actually read and digest anything I say is kind of obnoxious. You're acting like I've never played a game of mafia in my life when I've put 6 years into this site and dealt with this problem for literally all of that time.

Edit: More to the point it's openly toxic to instill a culture where players are
forced
to finish a game upon reaching a point where they either can't continue or are finding the experience miserable for whatever reason. There is definitely a game or two that I would have loved to have been able to have just left because the players in it were so openly toxic to me it was suffocating. To have had someone like you around back then telling me I'm not worth having around for feeling like that is frankly insulting.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #90 (isolation #3) » Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:37 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 88, Zachrulez wrote:
So yes, I'm gatekeeping your opinion as it is completely uninformed and does not understand how active players and game mods actually feel. Consider not sticking your nose into topics that don't affect you nor that you have sufficient experience to give an informed answer on.
But I do have sufficient experience, probably in fact more of it than you do.

Yeah I'd probably be lost as all hell in the current game meta if I actually played a game in this day and age on the site but the reasons people don't finish games don't really change all that much. The stories are as old as time and I've experienced probably most of them. The fact that I haven't played a game in 8 years doesn't actually invalidate my experience re: replacing and the reasons for them and my opinion on why being outright hostile toward replace outs is probably a bad idea.

Edit: This is my last post RE:
You so don't bother replying because I won't be reading it.
(Actually this comes off too harsh. I don't want to continue back and forthing on public forum though and we're definitely past the point of actually contributing to the argument by doing it.)
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #120 (isolation #4) » Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:57 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 119, Dannflor wrote: i think naptimes would be incredibly town sided

not saying anything for or against whether the idea is good or not

but i do think they would be town sided
Could you elaborate on this? It was definitely not my first thought when hearing this idea.

My first thought was actually "why did I never think of this myself?"
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #131 (isolation #5) » Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:23 am

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 123, Enchant wrote: I want to play game, not take naps during it. Waiting night is tedious enough (why won't you catch up at night?)

People who sign up in Large, then say "uh too many posts to catch up" are obviously should be advised against joining large games in first place. There's no shame if you don't want to play large game, but why sign up and then replace out because big game was, uh, big?

Again, you heal symptoms, not core problem, which is human sins.
I don't think having games with too much content to read is specifically endemic to large games. It's endemic to players who post too much and never learn proper signal to noise ratios. Players like this run on the assumption that other players have unlimited time to read posts when they actually don't.

As a mod something like this would definitely be on my table. If players don't know when to stop posting it might just make better sense to create periods of time in a game day where no posting happens.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”