Theme Test Market

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Fiasco
Fiasco
Goon
Fiasco
Goon
Goon

Post Post #787 (isolation #0) » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:19 am

Post by Fiasco »

Has there ever been a game based on the works of H.P. Lovecraft? (You know, Cthulhu and friends.) Would anyone be interested in playing such a game?

I have some detailed plans already and am almost in the "please review my setup" stage... it's too big for me to mod in the near future, though.

(If I stop playing mafia before then, and someone else wants something to steal ideas from for their own Lovecraft mafia game, please PM me; I'll probably still look at the site every once in a while.)
"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be mistaken." - Oliver Cromwell
Fiasco
Fiasco
Goon
Fiasco
Goon
Goon

Post Post #811 (isolation #1) » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:42 am

Post by Fiasco »

That reminds me... I still have the setup for a World of Lovecraft mafia somewhere, almost in other-human-readable format. (Use "all posts by Fiasco" to find my other post in this thread.) It's a big theme game, probably too big at 34. I'll probably never get around to running it, so don't let this stop you from starting your own Lovecraft game -- also, if I'm convinced enough that someone else will get around to it and I won't, I'll let them steal my ideas. (Remind me!)
it's the perfect setting for Mafia
I agree. Craft Love, Not War! :)
"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be mistaken." - Oliver Cromwell
Fiasco
Fiasco
Goon
Fiasco
Goon
Goon

Post Post #836 (isolation #2) » Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:28 am

Post by Fiasco »

In practice, how is that different from random?
Fiasco
Fiasco
Goon
Fiasco
Goon
Goon

Post Post #849 (isolation #3) » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:16 am

Post by Fiasco »

Won't people just be lynched in order of stupidity?
Fiasco
Fiasco
Goon
Fiasco
Goon
Goon

Post Post #851 (isolation #4) » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:30 am

Post by Fiasco »

Still means you can catch at least half the mafia by lynching the worst players first.
Fiasco
Fiasco
Goon
Fiasco
Goon
Goon

Post Post #853 (isolation #5) » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:51 am

Post by Fiasco »

If the scum captain is picking town power roles, he's not picking scum. Even if only 75% of the scum are in the worst 40% of players, no one other than those 40% is going to be in any danger of being lynched until late in the game.

Plus, some of those have to be worse than others. (I assume you can't announce that you'll pick by alphabet, or something?)
Fiasco
Fiasco
Goon
Fiasco
Goon
Goon

Post Post #855 (isolation #6) » Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:02 pm

Post by Fiasco »

Then doesn't the game become mostly about guessing your opinions on player skill?
Fiasco
Fiasco
Goon
Fiasco
Goon
Goon

Post Post #908 (isolation #7) » Wed May 17, 2006 12:29 pm

Post by Fiasco »

I doubt the day game would be interesting. Also, what use would the cops be?
Fiasco
Fiasco
Goon
Fiasco
Goon
Goon

Post Post #940 (isolation #8) » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:31 am

Post by Fiasco »

Twomz, I posted some other ideas for role-swapping here; Thok also posted a link to an earlier game that used the mechanic. (Except that in your case reassigning roles happens at random.)
Fiasco
Fiasco
Goon
Fiasco
Goon
Goon

Post Post #960 (isolation #9) » Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:27 am

Post by Fiasco »

Shamrock, for more ideas you can take a look at the ideas for Gadget Mafia (also featuring mostly-randomly changing roles) that I posted in the Open Setups thread, and also Aelyn's Roleswap Mini which is linked there. (That thread was created for the purpose of having discussions like this, so maybe it's a good idea to move there anyway.)
Fiasco
Fiasco
Goon
Fiasco
Goon
Goon

Post Post #991 (isolation #10) » Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:30 am

Post by Fiasco »

raj:

Yosarian2, Lloyd and I had plans to run a mini like that (the town could lynch as many people as they wanted, but choices could be made only e.g. once per week). Not sure whether it's still going to happen (queue changes, not much time). In any case I think you should run a game like that; it could be a lot of fun.

http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopi ... 7&start=25

I think what we planned to do was divide each block into two phases, with night talk happening only in the first phase, docs/blockers working from the moment they sent in their choices, and cops/vigs/scumkills being delayed until at least the start of the second phase. This may be a good idea to use, if it makes sense to you.
Fiasco
Fiasco
Goon
Fiasco
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1019 (isolation #11) » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:46 am

Post by Fiasco »

You should have Gabbers as the cult.
Fiasco
Fiasco
Goon
Fiasco
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1425 (isolation #12) » Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:37 am

Post by Fiasco »

Some random ideas...

Winmaker
: everyone votes to "lynch" as normal; if a townie is lynched the town wins, if a scum is lynched the scum win; think about how to handle quicklynches
Lights On Mafia
: after night, go to night again until someone gives up a night choice to turn the lights on; don't reveal alignments until morning
Fiasco
Fiasco
Goon
Fiasco
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2020 (isolation #13) » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:37 am

Post by Fiasco »

"minor historical figures mafia", too vague?

Return to “Mafia Discussion”