What games/setups are good for new players?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #27 (isolation #0) » Thu May 16, 2024 1:52 am

Post by PookyTheMagicalBear »

I think the main goal of the newbie queue was to get newcomers to the site introduced to its quirks etc in a friendly way that would help build the population, some of the key problems with the previous approach were imo:

[1] Too long of a wait between signup -> getting to actually play in a game, attention spans are short and people trying to find a place to play mafia will just try a few places and stick with wherever they get to play sooner usually. if they're playing somewhere else they probably won't play here if they get a role pm two or three weeks after they "signup"
[2] Too Few/ Irregular Game Firing - this problem builds off issue[1] because it's hard to get a game started if you're waiting for newbies to pick up their role pms and sometimes they just don't because they're like gone somewhere else already.
[3] Difficulty with mentorship structure where players giving advice can be opposed to the interests of the players being mentored as alignments are unknown etc.

I think the best way to alleviate all of these issues is to make a dedicated newbie game that is radically different in approach and allows new players to
jump in right away to play
to eliminate the wait time issue and also provide mentorship that is definitely aligned with the player.

I think a good approach for this would be if the newD3 game would fire with 9 experienced players in each player slot and as many newbies as sign up; for example a game could fire with nine veteran players and four newbies and each newbie would be paired in a hydra of sorts with a vet. Newbies signing up while the game is in progress can jump into any unpaired slot and be brought up to speed by whatever vet player is already playing in the slot.

I understand this might take a bit of work from the moderation team and be difficult to implement; another way to implement this on a micro-scale would be to place "new" newbies in "simple" setups that are already running such as mini normals or small open setups where the newbie would be paired with a willing slot already playing in the game and it would become something like a hydra. The key idea here is to shorten the time between a new player finding this site and getting to "play" and get a feel of how playing mafia here will work.
Show
"I hope one day I can openly play as wolfy as Pooky and get zero pressure for it grumble grumble."
-MariaR

"I can't even look at the game anymore.
That evil teddy bear has got everyone twirling by his thumb.
It's like witnessing an slow but unavoidable train crash you can't stop."

-Norwee
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #39 (isolation #1) » Thu May 16, 2024 3:43 pm

Post by PookyTheMagicalBear »

In post 38, T-Bone wrote: The line I bolded is where I was going to add links to the open and mini normal queues. But if we imagine making a funnel to any newbie friendly game on the site, what does that mechanism look like?
I think something like a link where if you've never played a game you can talk to a mod and get placed into a game that is either firing soon or is currently in early d1 - where you are slotted with an experienced player who can answer any questions you have and explain any terminology etc.
Show
"I hope one day I can openly play as wolfy as Pooky and get zero pressure for it grumble grumble."
-MariaR

"I can't even look at the game anymore.
That evil teddy bear has got everyone twirling by his thumb.
It's like witnessing an slow but unavoidable train crash you can't stop."

-Norwee

Return to “Mafia Discussion”