The Perpetual Minigame

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
mole
mole
die suck die
mole
die suck die
die suck die

The Perpetual Minigame

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Sun Nov 17, 2002 4:36 am

Post by mole »

Minigame, 12 players. Let's keep it simple - 10 townsfolk, 2 mafia.

Every night, the town gets two new members to replace the people killed during the course of the last round. Every time the mafia loses a member, the remaining member can recruit a new partner.

After you die, you can rejoin the queue, though if you were a mafia you can't come back into the game until your former partner is dead.

Keep score - how many rounds you survived as a mafia, and how many mafia you caught as a townie.

Continue until everyone gets bored and refuses to sign up any more.

Well, there have been stranger ideas...
mole is now sleeping with the fishes.
mole
mole
die suck die
mole
die suck die
die suck die

Post Post #2 (isolation #1) » Sun Nov 17, 2002 1:55 pm

Post by mole »

I've thought about this some more, and noticed a major flaw [should have seen it earlier, but it was 1:30am when I had and posted the idea :)] - the people coming into the game will be confirmed innocents. Everyone will lynch the old players each day, and the mafia will shoot the new players because killing an old player shortens their lives.

I was looking to have a bit more freedom than that. Any ideas?
mole
mole
die suck die
mole
die suck die
die suck die

Post Post #4 (isolation #2) » Sun Nov 17, 2002 3:49 pm

Post by mole »

10 Townies, 2 Mafia to begin with. Every night after the first, two players are added to the game. Each new player has a 1/6 chance of being mafia, unless this would put the number of mafia above 3 (in which case there are no mafia added) or below 1 (in which case a random new player joins the mafia, and the other has a 1/2 chance of joining as well). I'm not sure if I like this idea, but it will make sure the new players get their fair share of suspicion.

In order to "win" the game, a mafia member must survive for five (number subject to change) rounds, and then elect to retire. The mafia get to recruit a replacement member, and the retiree is removed from the game (but gets a note in the list of deaths about how great he was).
mole
mole
die suck die
mole
die suck die
die suck die

Post Post #6 (isolation #3) » Sun Nov 17, 2002 5:07 pm

Post by mole »

Yeah, we need to have a way for townies to win, and I don't see any other possibilities. :)

I really don't like the random thing - but I have decided on something new. It's a secret though. :)
mole
mole
die suck die
mole
die suck die
die suck die

Post Post #20 (isolation #4) » Wed Nov 20, 2002 10:32 pm

Post by mole »

Should have been more clear - the current system is the one in the first post. (My original idea was brought forward by cuban smoker, but I scrapped it because, as he points out, it's not perpetual enough ;). After a mafia member dies, the family recruits a new member.

There is a completely different (and IMO better) deterrant to keeping the new players alive as confirmed innocents.

Any more ideas? :)

Mackay/mith: I think it's a bit difficult for the mafia to survive long enough to eliminate all ten players. :) The five rounds is equivalent to how long this would take in a normal mafia game - after they've reached that, they can probably elect to stay in the game and try to beat the current record.
mole
mole
die suck die
mole
die suck die
die suck die

Post Post #27 (isolation #5) » Sun Feb 23, 2003 10:00 pm

Post by mole »

Time for the great experiment! :)

Perpetual Mafia's started on the Grey Labyrinth boards:

http://www.greylabyrinth.com/Forums/For ... 098.html?0

Come watch, or sign up! (preferably the latter...) :)

Return to “Mafia Discussion”